Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Can Ashley Wagner be U.S. figure skating's next star?

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    While I agree, keep in mind that Czisny has been around even LONGER. She was competing during the height of the Kwan/Cohen rivalry! She competed senior nats since 2002 (?), didn't win her first medal until 2007, and actually won in 2009.

Not everyone peaks at 16 or 17.
    Exactly! I think as Ashley gets older and matures she'll realize what aspects of her skating she needs to improve and work harder, she clearly has the drive and has already made clear improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    See article

Did well in the Grand Prix season, but needs to improve further if going to make more of an impact.
    Since I started this thread several days ago and wrote the above post, Ashley has shown with her fantastic performance at U.S Nationals that in the 2 months since her performances at the NHK Trophy and Skate Canada, she has made further significant progress. NHK and Skate Canada illustrated that under her new coach, John Nicks, she had improved enormously since last season. With her win at U.S. Nationals and the further improvement that it is evident that she has made since then, I think she has shown that she is now a serious contender at a World level. Moreover, her career development strikes me as being very similar to skaters such as Joannie Rochette, Maria Butyrskaya, and Shizuka Arakawa. Those three only started to make an impact at a World level once they were past the age of 20. I think that the incredible progress that Wagner has made under John Nicks this season indicates that likewise she can too. And look at Akiko Suzuki - she has only started to make an impact at a world level in the last few years and she is now in her mid-20's. Just goes to show that these days, with dedication and determination, skaters can now remain competitive in to their late 20's. And look at which 29 year old has just won the European Championships - Plushenko!
    Last edited by Mao88; 01-29-2012 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    Since I started this thread several days ago and wrote the above post, Ashley has shown with her fantastic performance at U.S Nationals that in the 2 months since her performances at the NHK Trophy and Skate Canada, she has made further significant progress. NHK and Skate Canada illustrated that under her new coach, John Nicks, she had improved enormously since last season. With her win at U.S. Nationals and the further improvement that it is evident that she has made since then, I think she has shown that she is now a serious contender at a World level. Moreover, her career development strikes me as being very similar to skaters such as Joannie Rochette, Maria Butyrskaya, and Shizuka Arakawa. Those three only started to make an impact at a World level once they were past the age of 20. I think that the incredible progress that Wagner has made under John Nicks this season indicates that likewise she can too. And look at Akiko Suzuki - she has only started to make an impact at a world level in the last few years and she is now in her mid-20's.
    I would add to this that, unlike a lot of the other US ladies, this is obviously something she REALLY wants and has the drive to do. It is truly, evidently, her main or only goal or desire at this point. I know some think she has an ego, and maybe she does, but she also has drive and I think that should not be discounted or underestimated.

I knew she was going to win. I was surprised to see so many people thinking they'd give it to Alissa or mirai, no matter what, as in the past. She has broken thru the ceiling, and I think she will have the confidence to skate well at worlds. I still think the intl judges will go with mao, akiko, carolina, alissa even with falls over a clean ashley. Some people don't think she is world class, but I think she can be if she skates her best. i was surprised to see her tackle black swan as she is so athletic/ripped looking, not balletic. ballerinas don't develop their upper bodies like Ash does, so that detracts a bit from the ballerina look. So will she ever become a world champion? I think not. But given the current US ladies, I think she has been underscored in past years. She was not a darling of the judges. She earns what she gets. I am glad she won, it was deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    I would add to this that, unlike a lot of the other US ladies, this is obviously something she REALLY wants and has the drive to do. It is truly, evidently, her main or only goal or desire at this point. I know some think she has an ego, and maybe she does, but she also has drive and I think that should not be discounted or underestimated.
    Yes, this is true. She doesn't seem to be pursuing school or any other hobby seriously right now (which is fine, probably even good for her skating career!).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    I knew she was going to win. I was surprised to see so many people thinking they'd give it to Alissa or mirai, no matter what, as in the past. She has broken thru the ceiling, and I think she will have the confidence to skate well at worlds. I still think the intl judges will go with mao, akiko, carolina, alissa even with falls over a clean ashley. Some people don't think she is world class, but I think she can be if she skates her best. i was surprised to see her tackle black swan as she is so athletic/ripped looking, not balletic. ballerinas don't develop their upper bodies like Ash does, so that detracts a bit from the ballerina look. So will she ever become a world champion? I think not. But given the current US ladies, I think she has been underscored in past years. She was not a darling of the judges. She earns what she gets. I am glad she won, it was deserved.
    she had a decent enough results in her grand prix season
    so I think she is improving and the international judges might take notice of that too.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    She was underscored in the past. She definitely deserved the U.S title in 2008 when she was placed 3rd. I agree with your overall assessment on things, although now as U.S Champion I think Czisny with mistakes would probably now lose to a clean Wagner. Suzuki probably as well.

Down With It
    For Wagner, it's a fight for respect. Looks like she obtained it on the national level...now she needs to earn that same respect from the international judges. I think she should do 4CC as a trial run.

Banned
    I wish she could resurrect her triple lutz-triple loop from 2008. That is the kind of thing that could put her over the top now. I am amazed she could ever do that combo when she hardly gets called for a clean regular lutz.

Congrats Ashley Wagner, 2012 US Champion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Custom Title
    I've been a fierce fan of Ashley since 2007, she was a large part of the reason why I got so 'into' figure skating at all. Her finally being national champion and going to Worlds is amazing. There's the selfish reason of finally having her compete in Europe again (I was just too late discovering her in 2007, flights to Bulgaria in 2009 were way too expensive), I'll likely go to Nice and I can't wait to see her perform in real life!

I like the comparison of Ashley with skaters like Joannie and Akiko; they've had to slowly build up their reputation too, improve, get consitency etc. I hope anyone calling Ashley a 'has-been' will think twice now :-)

4CC will definitely be good for her; she needs to build her international reputation now. I think she's pretty realistic about her chances to medal at Worlds, even if she skates like she did last night. Maybe we'll finally see that triple-triple she's been working on? I hope this title gives her momentum and confidence; she's already got the drive! A medal at 4CC should probably put her in the running for at least top 5 at worlds?

Ashley + Alissa has been my dream team for years. It's going to be hard work getting those 3 spots back; they'll need to stay calm and composed and perform their best. It's definitely possible but it won't be given to them on a silver platter.

I am so proud of Ashley! I always knew a change in coaches would help!

Down With It
    Don't mean to be a damper but I don't have much hope for 3 spots. Having seen how Nagasu performed, I do think it's the right call to send Czisny and Wagner, but the former hasn't really seem to have found her groove this season and the latter isn't getting much respect from international judges. I see them both perhaps in the bottom half of the top 10.

Custom Title
    6+7 - be optimistic!

If they don't get three spots this year, they aren't next year, with the baby brigade coming of age and the fierce showdowns we're gonna see. But hey, Canada only has one spot, and will likely stay at that until 2015.

Down With It
    I had hope in 2010 but Nagasu tanked...

I had hope last year but Flatt bombed...

I think I've given up at this point and think we're relegated to second-rate status in ladies behind Japan, and soon, perhaps Russia.

If Czisny/Wagner can prove me wrong, however- great. And I sincerely hope they do.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast