Short Dance for season 2012-13 is... | Golden Skate

Short Dance for season 2012-13 is...

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
... the Yankee Polka! The juniors will do the Blues.

According to icenetwork article "Rink notes: Marley, Brubaker 'different team now' - California pair goes back to basics; Watch out, Yankee Polka is coming":
Skaters, get your lederhosen out of mothballs. The Yankee Polka is coming.

Ice dance coaches at the 2012 European Figure Skating Championships in Sheffield, England, confirm that next season's senior short dance will include sequences of the Yankee Polka. The junior short dance will include sequences from the Blues.

Most pattern (compulsory) dances are British or Russian in origin, but as its name implies, the Yankee Polka is a strictly American invention, created in 1969 by five-time U.S. ice dance champions and world silver medalists Judy Schwomeyer and James Sladky and their coach, Ron Ludington. The Yankee Polka demands good attack, deep edges and a light touch, all executed with extreme joy and perky precision.

I'm no ice dancing expert, so what do you think of the choice? Will it be fun or outright horrible?

claphappy

On the Ice
This is probably the right time to mention that a Weird Al ice dance program is one of my skating fantasies.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I, on the other hand, want to see narco corridos (the crazy polka Mexican version of rap) ;)

Either way, it could be great fun. I like the YP, particularly with the teams picking their own music.

Here's a fun YP:

Delobel & Schoenfelder as a sheriff and a madame skating the YP at Europeans in 2008:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxPqA0GOMgw

Here's Meryl & Charlie having a great time skating the YP at 4CC's in 2008:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ1ldYam7Ns

Weird Al has a polka version of Bohemian Rhapsody but I think the speed is a little to fast but it's fun to think about. Yankee Polka's a lot of fun to do, the crazier you are the more fun you will have!

claphappy

On the Ice
I, on the other hand, want to see narco corridos (the crazy polka Mexican version of rap) ;)

Either way, it could be great fun. I like the YP, particularly with the teams picking their own music.

Here's a fun YP:

Delobel & Schoenfelder as a sheriff and a madame skating the YP at Europeans in 2008:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxPqA0GOMgw

Here's Meryl & Charlie having a great time skating the YP at 4CC's in 2008:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ1ldYam7Ns

Yeah, I saw you post something about that on FSU too. That sounds like it'd be really cool.

I'm so excited for next season! IT'S GONNA BE POLKATASTIC!!!

I'm still trying to shake memories of the dreamily romantic and mysterious Klimova and Ponomarenko going way outside their comfort zone for something like "The Lonely Goatherd" at the 1992 Olympics.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Doris messaged me yesterday with the news and I've been nearly peeing myself since... I FREAKING LOVE THE YANKEE POLKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *bounces*

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I wonder how much the Shibs paid to get this to be the new pattern dance.

LOL. Like the USA No. 2 has that much pull on the ISU. But still yes, this is a good thing for them.

Also I'd be interested to see how many pairs will dance to different genres of music and try to make it polka *harlem polka nocturne, anyone?* (Not trying to pick on Ralph and Hill, just simply picking a song I think would be absolutely silly in a polka beat..)

Last edited:

gio

Medalist
Also I'd be interested to see how many pairs will dance to different genres of music and try to make it polka *harlem polka nocturne, anyone?* (Not trying to pick on Ralph and Hill, just simply picking a song I think would be absolutely silly in a polka beat..)

IMO there should be a 2.00 point deduction if the music doesn't fit the short dance!

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
I think it will be great. The YP is really funny and uplifting. That said, I hope that some couples won't be wearing black outfits :p

Macassar88

Medalist
I think it will be great. The YP is really funny and uplifting. That said, I hope that some couples won't be wearing black outfits :p

The Russians will find a way. Maybe they will interpret it as a sign that the US has taken over the world so they are in mourning while being forced to do this terrible dance?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The original quickstep for Olympics would be a sad thing. It's a boring dance, relatively speaking.

FINNSTEP for the Olympic year!!! We :wuzrobbed: of it in 2010; let's have it this time.