Sochi: Men's Prediction | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Sochi: Men's Prediction

Boeing787

On the Ice
I provided a link to some photos of his starfish hands in his Take Five.

I saw that picture, but that was not the sartsifh hands Johnny referred to - he was talking about Patrick's hands when he opened them as wide as possible( another indication it was intentional).

Take a look at his 2009 LP. The openning pose is similar to the one in POTO, but different hands (don't play, just look at the picture):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uExEtDo6vY&feature=player_detailpage#t=33s

Last edited:

jettasian

Match Penalty
Since you are the one who makes that assertion, the burden of proof lies upon you. Why not just go ahead and create a new thread for that? I would name it "Starfish Hands and Rose Wreaths".
I can't be bother. To think that Chan's the only one that has the "starfish" hands is ridiculous. So what do you call the other men's hands when they open up? Paper hands? Jazz hands? Or those men don't open their hands at all when they skate?

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Blades, you must love the recent proposal to remove the terms "straight-line, circular, serpentine" from the footwork definitions because COP requirements don't allow for the pattern to be followed. Then again, I also don't get the big deal about Yuka Sato's footwork, and love great COP footwork (Lambiel in "Poeta," for example, Chan's POTO). Call me a philistine.

I don't like that proposal at all, it means the problem is being ignored and will continue to linger. :scowl:

The big deal about Yuka's footwork is how musical it is and how it flies across the ice in combination with some of those edges. That is very difficult to do. I would wager that very few women could perfectly replicate Yuka's footwork if they tried. Yet, they can all do what CoP currently calls a Level 3 footwork sequence.

skatinginbc

Medalist
you must love the recent proposal to remove the terms "straight-line, circular, serpentine" from the footwork definitions because COP requirements don't allow for the pattern to be followed.
Uh-oh, all footwork will be Zamboni step sequence, meandering back and forth to cover all the ice.
To think that Chan's the only one that has the "starfish" hands is ridiculous.
I'm not particularly crazy about Johnny's skating and don't always pay attention to his speech. I might have heard of "starfish hands" before, but the term never truly registered in my brain until recently a great number of "starfish" posts cropped up here and there in every thread. The more people talk about it, the stronger its association with Patrick grows, so much so that it has become his signature move, his brand.

Last edited:
I don't like that proposal at all, it means the problem is being ignored and will continue to linger. :scowl:

The big deal about Yuka's footwork is how musical it is and how it flies across the ice in combination with some of those edges. That is very difficult to do. I would wager that very few women could perfectly replicate Yuka's footwork if they tried. Yet, they can all do what CoP currently calls a Level 3 footwork sequence.

Yeah...you can't replicate Yuka's magic from a book of rules. It has to come from something else, and I do hope the rule book leaves room for such a happy occurrence.

Into my mind flashed a sudden image from the Andersen fairy tale "The Emperor's Nightingale." The emperor heard a nightingale singing in the wild and had an elaborate mechanical nightingale made to replicate the beautiful song sung by the Real Thing. Of course the mechanical nightingale's song didn't have the magic and beauty of the living nightingale. You can't manufacture that sort of thing. It has to come from a skater who has it inside of him or her.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Blades, you must love the recent proposal to remove the terms "straight-line, circular, serpentine" from the footwork definitions because COP requirements don't allow for the pattern to be followed.

A few skaters will then be free to move all over the ice with complex patterns while some will just do their frenzied upper limb movements while skating around and over the ISU logo at center ice.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Good that those terms might be removed. They all look circular serpentine there is no straight. Straighline does not exist anymore at all!

gmyers

Record Breaker
I predict a massive American takeover.

Jeremy Abbott- OGM
Patrick Chan- OSM
Adam Rippon- OBM

I would like to see Abbott do clean! Even at worlds 2010 he fell twice! I would like to see how much he could fall now and medal! Maybe he could be like Chan. But GPF 2011 was bad because he fell like a stone down the standings. Takahashi can also fall dramatically down the standings. Only person who really doesn't fall dramatically down the standings is Chan. Chan may not have a muti fall cushion in winning gold but to not medal he would have to fall and pop jumps.