Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sochi: Men's Prediction

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Yes but Russian nationals judges are not to take seriously - he gets legend bonus( true rn are way overscored) , euros are not reliable he gets euro and legend bonus , in the other continents he gets the plushenko bonus, in any case his scores in Vancouver kept the same as Euros more or less with worse performances than Tallinn so let's say he is overscored everywhere and judges are not trustworthy when it comes to Plush. And I m really happy for overscored plushy, instead of crying loud for other overscored skaters I ll focus on his overscored marks and party

Sochi is way too far for predictions, in 2008 Buttle was the World Champion and Lysacek wad not even there! But I ll say Hanyu is the prodigy skater of the new generation!!!

Custom Title
    Plushenko was much better in Vancouver than in Talinn and he set a record in SP in Tallinn but in Vancouver was near a 3 way tie for first- such a horrible decision.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I think in lp Tallinn he was little better,in sp I agree he was better in Vancouver, anyway my point is that gp euros or olys, he gets the same pcs, in euros 2012 all event was overscored and judges probably got excited to see him so his pcs flew to the roof, like me!

I think Evan can come back and do very well if he wants to. Johnny would just be the next Sasha at Nationals in 2014. the fans will want to see him skate but he won't make the team. Does he care? No, he gets the publicity and he gets back in shape doing what he does best. It is very hard to walk away from something thst is your life. Michelle would still be here if her body held up or she had won gold. She loves to skate and these guys love to skate, compete, win, have fans. It must be very lonely when you age out and the teddy bears are all for the new 16 year old. Not as bad as being a hollywood actress after 40, but the feeling is the same. It is sad and some can't won't make the transition.

If Plush wants to damage his knees that is his business. What do do think football players live with? All top athletes who stay in long suffer. Most of you will too, regardless of what you do!!!! Life is cruel. Very.

Custom Title
    LOL. If I recall correctly, in 2008--two years prior to the 2010 Olympics--I believe that Brian Joubert was considered the front-runner (in this very forum, no less!) for Olympic gold in Vancouver. And numerous people were stating how Evan Lysacek's career seemed so much like Michael Weiss' and was likely to continue in such a direction.

So who knows what could happen. Maybe one of the current bright young things will end up flaming out. Or suffering a serious injury like Daisuke in fall 2008. Anything can happen....

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    I think in lp Tallinn he was little better,in sp I agree he was better in Vancouver, anyway my point is that gp euros or olys, he gets the same pcs, in euros 2012 all event was overscored and judges probably got excited to see him so his pcs flew to the roof, like me!:)
    True really.

Weir was almost like Sasha in 2010!! Bradley was so close he almost won the spot.

Like in 2008 everyone was saying "quad is necessary for 2010! Quad is a must!!!!" Buttle himself said "Of course I will be training a quad for Vancouver! A quad is a must!!" Of course he did not even do the 2008-2009 season and just retired all together. This is just to say as of right now speculating is just fun. But even in October 2009 people were saying "quad is a must in Vancouver" and who knows what people will be saying in October of 2013 which will be totally wrong in every way.

Custom Title
    Gold - Yuzuru Hanyu
    Silver - Patrick Chan
    Bronze - Nan Song

trend - all asian skaters.

Obviously Chan is the favourite for Olympic gold. I wouldn't count Takahashi out though, or Plushenko either. I honestly don't think Lysacek is even going to be there.

Nan Song could make some big waves between now and then after the GP season that he had. One possible contender I'm not sure I agree with on the list in the first post is Richard Dornbush. I'll have to wait and see on that one. He's proven by his nationals performance to have high meltdown abilities.

Gachinski, Kozuka, Hanyu, Brezina, Fernandez.. all legit contenders, yes. Maybe Alexander Majorov will rise up for Sweden by that point? Just throwing that out there although I know he's not that great yet..

I think Verner and Joubert are on their way out, unfortunately. I wonder if VDP will still be around.

Rinkside
    Chan will most likely win gold. I won't count plush out though, you never know what that man can come up with.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    Gold - Yuzuru Hanyu
    Silver - Patrick Chan
    Bronze - Nan Song

trend - all asian skaters.
    This strikes me as very accurate, if Hanyu keeps improving as he has (not that he needs to improve much in my eyes, but certainly to unseat the CHAN train he does). If Hanyu does keep improving, he could well be on top because I think he has the ability to master another Quad jump - the Salchow - and Patrick Chan does not. Nan Song will likely come to exceed Patrick in jumping ability as well, but won't be able to surpass him in terms of the total package.

Takahashi and Plushenko won't be able to keep up with the younger guys ( ) and everyone else will be too inconsistent.

But who knows!

Custom Title
    I think the "quad is not essential" trend was created by the collusion of three major federations, i.e. Canada, USA and Japan around 2008. They wanted their "favorites" to be legitimate Olympic medal contenders. Very few people expected Plushenko's return at that time, therefore their main target was Joubert. Since that same period, so-called "skating skills" have been emphasized in a major way. Now three major federations (USA out, Russia in) can agree on the "quad is essential" trend. It won't change until Sochi.

Custom Title
    This is so stupid, anything can happen between now and Sochi, anything, literally at the last possible second. Only God and the skategods know the future, don't anger them. Jmho.

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    I think Evan can come back and do very well if he wants to. Johnny would just be the next Sasha at Nationals in 2014. the fans will want to see him skate but he won't make the team. Does he care? No, he gets the publicity and he gets back in shape doing what he does best. It is very hard to walk away from something thst is your life. Michelle would still be here if her body held up or she had won gold. She loves to skate and these guys love to skate, compete, win, have fans. It must be very lonely when you age out and the teddy bears are all for the new 16 year old. Not as bad as being a hollywood actress after 40, but the feeling is the same. It is sad and some can't won't make the transition.

If Plush wants to damage his knees that is his business. What do do think football players live with? All top athletes who stay in long suffer. Most of you will too, regardless of what you do!!!! Life is cruel. Very.
    skateluvr, you are getting pessimistic. Cheer up.
    Hmmm.. I don't see Evan coming back. He has got his Olympic gold and coming back to a harder field risks not winning any medal. I won't if I am him. Johnny?? Hmmm.... better stick to figure skating show. He will get his fans there. Okay, I still think Plushy is still keen to come back to give it .. perhaps a last try or shot for another gold in 2014. It will be an interesting men field.. wow .. Plushy, Dai, Chan, Hanyu, Kosuka, Fernandez, Artur, Jeremy ... looking forward though two years do seem a long long way. HOpe I won't drop dead before then.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    I think the "quad is not essential" trend was created by the collusion of three major federations, i.e. Canada, USA and Japan around 2008. They wanted their "favorites" to be legitimate Olympic medal contenders. Very few people expected Plushenko's return at that time, therefore their main target was Joubert. Since that same period, so-called "skating skills" have been emphasized in a major way. Now three major federations (USA out, Russia in) can agree on the "quad is essential" trend. It won't change until Sochi.
    Interesting theory about the federations. I think this quad debate messed Joubert's head a bit and he lost his old confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    Conspiracy theory

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast