Sochi: Men's Prediction | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sochi: Men's Prediction

gmyers

Record Breaker
I think in lp Tallinn he was little better,in sp I agree he was better in Vancouver, anyway my point is that gp euros or olys, he gets the same pcs, in euros 2012 all event was overscored and judges probably got excited to see him so his pcs flew to the roof, like me!:)

True really.

Weir was almost like Sasha in 2010!! Bradley was so close he almost won the spot.

Like in 2008 everyone was saying "quad is necessary for 2010! Quad is a must!!!!" Buttle himself said "Of course I will be training a quad for Vancouver! A quad is a must!!" Of course he did not even do the 2008-2009 season and just retired all together. This is just to say as of right now speculating is just fun. But even in October 2009 people were saying "quad is a must in Vancouver" and who knows what people will be saying in October of 2013 which will be totally wrong in every way.

Becki

Medalist
Gold - Yuzuru Hanyu
Silver - Patrick Chan
Bronze - Nan Song

trend - all asian skaters.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Obviously Chan is the favourite for Olympic gold. I wouldn't count Takahashi out though, or Plushenko either. I honestly don't think Lysacek is even going to be there.

Nan Song could make some big waves between now and then after the GP season that he had. One possible contender I'm not sure I agree with on the list in the first post is Richard Dornbush. I'll have to wait and see on that one. He's proven by his nationals performance to have high meltdown abilities.

Gachinski, Kozuka, Hanyu, Brezina, Fernandez.. all legit contenders, yes. Maybe Alexander Majorov will rise up for Sweden by that point? Just throwing that out there although I know he's not that great yet..

I think Verner and Joubert are on their way out, unfortunately. I wonder if VDP will still be around.

shalanheyyo

Rinkside
Chan will most likely win gold. I won't count plush out though, you never know what that man can come up with.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Gold - Yuzuru Hanyu
Silver - Patrick Chan
Bronze - Nan Song

trend - all asian skaters.

This strikes me as very accurate, if Hanyu keeps improving as he has (not that he needs to improve much in my eyes, but certainly to unseat the CHAN train he does). If Hanyu does keep improving, he could well be on top because I think he has the ability to master another Quad jump - the Salchow - and Patrick Chan does not. Nan Song will likely come to exceed Patrick in jumping ability as well, but won't be able to surpass him in terms of the total package.

Takahashi and Plushenko won't be able to keep up with the younger guys ( :cry:) and everyone else will be too inconsistent.

But who knows!

NMURA

Medalist
I think the "quad is not essential" trend was created by the collusion of three major federations, i.e. Canada, USA and Japan around 2008. They wanted their "favorites" to be legitimate Olympic medal contenders. Very few people expected Plushenko's return at that time, therefore their main target was Joubert. Since that same period, so-called "skating skills" have been emphasized in a major way. Now three major federations (USA out, Russia in) can agree on the "quad is essential" trend. It won't change until Sochi.

Nadine

Record Breaker
This is so stupid, anything can happen between now and Sochi, anything, literally at the last possible second. Only God and the skategods know the future, don't anger them. Jmho.

spikydurian

Medalist
I think Evan can come back and do very well if he wants to. Johnny would just be the next Sasha at Nationals in 2014. the fans will want to see him skate but he won't make the team. Does he care? No, he gets the publicity and he gets back in shape doing what he does best. It is very hard to walk away from something thst is your life. Michelle would still be here if her body held up or she had won gold. She loves to skate and these guys love to skate, compete, win, have fans. It must be very lonely when you age out and the teddy bears are all for the new 16 year old. Not as bad as being a hollywood actress after 40, but the feeling is the same. It is sad and some can't won't make the transition.

If Plush wants to damage his knees that is his business. What do do think football players live with? All top athletes who stay in long suffer. Most of you will too, regardless of what you do!!!! Life is cruel. Very.
skateluvr, you are getting pessimistic. Cheer up. :)
Hmmm.. I don't see Evan coming back. He has got his Olympic gold and coming back to a harder field risks not winning any medal. I won't if I am him. Johnny?? Hmmm.... better stick to figure skating show. He will get his fans there. Okay, I still think Plushy is still keen to come back to give it .. perhaps a last try or shot for another gold in 2014. It will be an interesting men field.. wow .. Plushy, Dai, Chan, Hanyu, Kosuka, Fernandez, Artur, Jeremy ... looking forward though two years do seem a long long way. HOpe I won't drop dead before then. :biggrin:

glam

On the Ice
I think the "quad is not essential" trend was created by the collusion of three major federations, i.e. Canada, USA and Japan around 2008. They wanted their "favorites" to be legitimate Olympic medal contenders. Very few people expected Plushenko's return at that time, therefore their main target was Joubert. Since that same period, so-called "skating skills" have been emphasized in a major way. Now three major federations (USA out, Russia in) can agree on the "quad is essential" trend. It won't change until Sochi.

Interesting theory about the federations. I think this quad debate messed Joubert's head a bit and he lost his old confidence. :frown:

spikydurian

Medalist
Conspiracy theory :think:

Hanaka

Rinkside

Huh? :confused: Japanese men such as Dai, Kozuka and Oda were keeping try to put quads in their programs at that time. IIRC, Daisuke did 4-3 in FP when he broke Plushenko's world record at 4CC. Then during off season,he injured his knee and had to sit out of competitions for the whole next season. But I remember he always said that he would have regretted and would have felt like he had been defeated if he had not attempted a quad in a competition.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I'm probably biased, but I like to think of Daisuke as a contender.

I have to agree. Anyone on that list is a contender. Who knows what will happen in 2 years.

Figure skating fans should know that what a skater does on the ice leading up to the Olympic cycle does not necessarily guarantee said skater a gold medal or a spot on the podium.

Last edited:

Poodlepal

On the Ice
1. Evgeni Plushenko. Somehow, they will manage to give him his medal in his home country. Bad knees or not, he'll do 3 clean quads and won't fall.

2. Patrick Chan. Now, one of two things will happen here.
a. He will fall (as he often does, sadly), but this time it will actually work against him.
b. He won't fall, he'll actually deserve to win, and Canada will launch a protest. A second gold will be given, and next year the judging point system will be completely different.

3. Artur Gachinski
4. Jeremy Abbott (Most will think Jeremy was better, but Artur got a home-turf advantage)
5. Stephane Lambiel (he will come back and do surprisingly well, but based more on his reputation. May be replaced by Brian Joubert, or another "old" skater).

jettasian

Match Penalty
2. Patrick Chan. Now, one of two things will happen here.
a. He will fall (as he often does, sadly), but this time it will actually work against him.
b. He won't fall, he'll actually deserve to win, and Canada will launch a protest. A second gold will be given, and next year the judging point system will be completely different.

It's funny how some people can always find a way to insult Canada and Chan. :rolleye:

NMURA

Medalist
Huh? :confused: Japanese men such as Dai, Kozuka and Oda were keeping try to put quads in their programs at that time. IIRC, Daisuke did 4-3 in FP when he broke Plushenko's world record at 4CC. Then during off season,he injured his knee and had to sit out of competitions for the whole next season. But I remember he always said that he would have regretted and would have felt like he had been defeated if he had not attempted a quad in a competition.

More exactly, Japan has joined the "camp" after Takahashi's "comeback". They were rather optimistic about Oda and Kozuka's quad "attempts" until 2009 worlds. Takahashi could not land a single quad during the Olympic season. Oda was too conservative to be called a "quad jumper." Kozuka was the #3 man who could take every risk and fell on almost every attempt. We saw their last ditch effort at GPF in Tokyo. Takahashi and Lysacek scored almost 90 points for their quadless SP.

Last edited:

DianaSelene

Medalist

:laugh: I'd love to see that. Second time for Canada. Possible.

SGrand

Final Flight
This strikes me as very accurate, if Hanyu keeps improving as he has (not that he needs to improve much in my eyes, but certainly to unseat the CHAN train he does). If Hanyu does keep improving, he could well be on top because I think he has the ability to master another Quad jump - the Salchow - and Patrick Chan does not. Nan Song will likely come to exceed Patrick in jumping ability as well, but won't be able to surpass him in terms of the total package.

Takahashi and Plushenko won't be able to keep up with the younger guys ( :cry:) and everyone else will be too inconsistent.

But who knows!

Who's to say Patrick won't continue to grow and improve over the next 2 years as well? I highly doubt he's reached his peak and he's very much into bettering himself through training, yoga, dance etc. I believe we still have yet to see what he's capable of performance and jump-wise. There seems to be quite a few fans of Kurt here (I'm one, he's a legend) and not only is Patrick friends with him, but he seems to really admire Kurt's style and career and would probably like to become his own version of what Kurt is (the best of both worlds I mean). I would like to think that he realizes he's not the greatest performer and that it's a work in progress. Not to take anything away from the others at all, they are all strong contenders and it's 2 years away yet so who knows what could happen. I would never want to say that anyone is a lock for gold in 2014.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Who's to say Patrick won't continue to grow and improve over the next 2 years as well? I highly doubt he's reached his peak and he's very much into bettering himself through training, yoga, dance etc. I believe we still have yet to see what he's capable of performance and jump-wise.

He might go further with the jumps still but it's questionable since he didn't add anything to his program this year (he made it a little easier, actually). Hanyu has been doing lots of Quad Salchows like they are nothing in exhibitions. I wonder if the Gold-medal standard for Sochi is going to be 3 Quads and 2 Triple Axels; we've already seen 2 Quads and 2 Triple Axels from several of the men this past year. It all depends on people pushing Chan right now, though. He doesn't need to change his current jump layout at all if nobody can beat him at his current level.

jettasian

Match Penalty
Who's to say Patrick won't continue to grow and improve over the next 2 years as well? I highly doubt he's reached his peak and he's very much into bettering himself through training, yoga, dance etc. I believe we still have yet to see what he's capable of performance and jump-wise.

Oh, Chan will definitly get even better. I can see his improvement in terms of speed, edges (faster, bolder and more confident on the blades). And his 3A is getting more consistant as well. He doesn't need to add more technical jump this year, so he's focusing on the presentation side. I'm sure next year, we will see him trying a 4S or 4F. Who knows, if he's confident enough, he may add another 3A. It's step by step progress working toward Sochi.