Senior Men's Short Program, Fri. 1/27 at 10 pm EST | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Senior Men's Short Program, Fri. 1/27 at 10 pm EST

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I also did say maybe a little less on fashion and make up; not NO fashion or make-up, just a little less and absolutely I did say, and no fashion while skating. But that isn't the same as saying not fashion, make-up or eyebrows at all. I don't know, but my sense is that lot's of people liked lot's of things in his commentary, which given how his comments to the media have sparked such long debates, is interesting.

It's kind of interesting because, although it is figure skating, he was commentating the MEN'S event. Not to be sexist, but there should be really very little focus on make-up in a men's figure skating competition. I understand that he tries to be cute or humorous but it gets to be more about him than about the competitors, which is unfortunate.

I was one of the "tone it down" posters and I can assure you I was refering to his hyper talking during the performances. I can't speak for others, but maybe that's what they meant as well. I don't think the implication was clear at all, but I can't read minds, so maybe I'm wrong.
Same here. And I actually started out in this thread defending his insightful comments... but enough is enough. One comment on eyebrows or hair or pink or "sparklies" is funny, but to be going on and on about trivia (and oneself) while the skaters are having their one little moment in the sun is selfish. I have never heard a commentator carry on like that and I plan to write IN and complain. He's a good commentator and I'll be glad to hear him in the future - but he needs to remember that commentary takes a back seat.

OTOH, jcoates, I was less happy with Kim N. today. I guess she was trying to keep her commentary to an absolute minimum until the replays, but it's a little weird to have a commentator who doesn't breathe a word in real time when there are major errors (or great moves). She did some real-time commenting, but not enough.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Overall, I enjoyed Johnny's commentating -- interesting to see his take on a number of skaters. I especially loved hearing what he had to say about Jason Brown and his ponytail. :) Sure Johnny could learn to pace himself better and not talk too much during the performances, but his commentary really added something fun to the viewing. Maybe right now Johnny excels more in a kind of pre- or post kind of commentary rather than play-by-play, but again some of his spur of the moment comments were quite fun, especially re Jason's ponytail, Max's and Douglas' eyebrows, and Keegan's charisma. Johnny also had some honest astute comments to make, but again could improve by toning it down some with the talking -- perhaps that comes with more experience.

Feel sad for Ricky and Mroz. Ricky took it well (like a man) and with a sense of humor -- altho' surely he was feeling torn-up inside. But there is another day, and its important for skaters to chalk situations up to lessons learned and then apply those lessons to move forward. Mroz is a talented skater who needs to find the right music, choreo and inspiration. I agree he should think about moving to another coach. Speaking of changing coaches, the move really paid off for Armin -- plus as Johnny noted, Armin was able to use the energy left behind from Jere's performance and just ride on it and skate with ease and command. I was impressed by Max Aaron -- he's definitely someone to watch from the new generation. I love Ross too, but he and Ricky will need to continue working and find something more within themselves to keep up with guys like Jason, Max, and even Josh Farris of the next up-and-comers. I think Miner and Dornbush can do this, but wow all the great men we have in the U.S. -- Amazing. Can't imagine next season if Johnny does follow through on the comeback. I do feel that Keegan probably should have been behind Max in the scoring in sp, even despite K's zippy speed.

Can't say enough about Jeremy -- another skater who turned misfortune into found treasure! Jere didn't go home feeling sorry for himself last year. He found something extra within himself and kept putting out the hard work to come back this season with something special. He's been a wonderful, top caliber skater for at least 4 years now, but with his programs this season, he's reaching new heights. Keep on rising, Jeremy! Oh, and Adam, I love you! Bravo!!!

Last edited:

alexeifan

On the Ice
Still can't believe Dornbush is like 30 pts behind. So sad, even if he does great it's going to be such a bad placement for such a talent. I wonder why his jumps has eluded him this year. Hope he's ok.

emma

Record Breaker
Same here. And I actually started out in this thread defending his insightful comments... but enough is enough. One comment on eyebrows or hair or pink or "sparklies" is funny, but to be going on and on about trivia (and oneself) while the skaters are having their one little moment in the sun is selfish. I have never heard a commentator carry on like that and I plan to write IN and complain. He's a good commentator and I'll be glad to hear him in the future - but he needs to remember that commentary takes a back seat.

I guess I'll have to disagree, respectfully, with you here...I thought he could dial it back, but I don't agree that he wen on and on about trivia; during the actual skating he talked mainly about the skating, or what it is like skating or as a skater...and said really great and informative things, but here is where I thought he could refrain a bit just so we could watch and see too. Then, he could do less of the funny stuff during replays (about hair and etc) mainly because he would have less time, but I think some costume, hair, make up and who designs all this is interesting and totallhy appropriate. I mean the skaters are wearing this stuff...seems like it begs to be commented upon. But whe3re I might agree with you is just a little less.

Anyway....I think we agree that it is the skating that really matters....I'm enjoying it a lot and hope everyone else is too.

jettasian

Match Penalty
What's going on with Abbott's uniform? Suspenders? Grey/black skates? Too-short pants? Miss-matched colours? Seriously, they all make him looks like an adult wearing a boy clothes...not nice at all.

jettasian

Match Penalty
Ha, ha, not with Chan having the famous "3-fall advantage" over the rest of the field. :laugh:

Seriously, no need to, yet again, degrading Chan's skating here. It's okay not to like Chan's skate. But the constant myth accusation is ridiculous and insulting.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I'm happy Adam finally skated clean but he needs to start selling that choreography. Korobusha begs to be performed to the rafters. Think Sasha's Dark Eye's SP. It needs attitude, bravado, and choreography that hits every note. The structure is there in that program to but needs to be served on a platter.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Jeremy skated perfectly! So precisely portrayed swing style! I can truly say that this time, he made me a fan of his this SP!:thumbsup::yes: