Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Senior Men's Short Program, Fri. 1/27 at 10 pm EST

That was a nice skate. Unbelievable inside SE. He has great line, and I love watching him do FW. He's beautifully trained even if he doesn't have the big jumps. Into 3rd.
    :
    Last edited by dlkksk8fan; 01-27-2012 at 11:29 PM.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzee4 View Post
    Need opinions...I am a 2.5 hour drive from San Jose. Is it worth it to see the skating in person if I have to sit up in the rafters? I am not a skater, but long-time fan & avid follower of the GP on IceNetwork & before. I am kind of enjoying getting commentary & am debating whether I would enjoy not being able to see the skater so close as we get to on TV and without being able to read the forum & hear commentary.

What do you all recommend??
    I only saw live skating once, and I didn't have the best seats. I loved it. The energy from the crowd makes it exciting even though you can't see them close up. Even my husband enjoyed it and he's not a skating fan.

Custom Title
    Yep, I agree about the "intangibles", it is great to be in a crowd full of fellow figure skating fans, nothing like it. But for pure visualization, to see the skaters up close & personal, my opinion is front row only. But if you want experience alone, then go for it!

So happy for Adam and Ross, but beyond gutted for Richard. It's a good thing I missed his SP, I think; I became a fan a few years ago and it solidified last season. It's hard to see anyone have a rough performance, but it hurts when it's one of your favorites. Goes to show, I shouldn't get attached to skaters lol!

But here's hoping he bounces back in the LP, and that he comes back strong next season! (everyone has an off season, it happens)

Also, I love Johnny's commentary. Yes, he should probably talk a little less-but I love how candid he is, and he offers some great technical detail.

Tripping on the Podium
    I'm rooting hard for Brandon Mroz! Hope he can turn in a strong skate!

Custom Title
    Need opinions...I am a 2.5 hour drive from San Jose. Is it worth it to see the skating in person if I have to sit up in the rafters? I am not a skater, but long-time fan & avid follower of the GP on IceNetwork & before. I am kind of enjoying getting commentary & am debating whether I would enjoy not being able to see the skater so close as we get to on TV and without being able to read the forum & hear commentary.

never been to an event live...that being said, if you have the time/money. i say go for the experience. you could always tape/tivo the TV of if you have IN you can watch it up close later. It's always great to have a memory when you can say, "i was there when..."

btw, i have been to 2 gymnastics meets (one rhythmic and the other artistic...i believe it was the 2003 pacific-rim championships) still have the memories, nothing quite like being able to say i've seen those olympic athletes compete in real life...there's something about both figure skating and gymnastics that gets lost in translation through a screen...
    Last edited by icebeauty; 01-27-2012 at 11:36 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    Btw, I've always been okay with Tonya Kwiatkowski commenting, but now I'm loving her. Number one reason is she's humble enough to know that too much talking is going on, therefore she's being the bigger person and taking a backseat to Johnny. For this she has my respect.
    I think the point has been made. If Johnny is overdone, then so are the complaints about him.

Custom Title

I live in southern California and I'm leaving by Amtrak bus/train at midnight tonight for San Jose, arriving in time for the Dance Final tomorrow morning. I plan on buying seats in the rafters because that's all I can afford. Having attended several Nationals, it really is a blast to be there. You see all sorts of skaters--past and present--in the concourse, and there's just a terrific buzz about the place. For rafter seating, bring binoculars and also record the TV coverage while you're away. The best thing about Nationals is that there are always surprises. After the gala exhibition, I'll catch the Amtrak bus/train (the station is just a few blocks away from the HP Pavilion) and all night it back to Orange County!

Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    I've been following along with the scores all week...I think IceNetwork has some sort of incompatibility with Chrome, because occasionally it'll refuse to show scores even when the main page says "Live". It just shows the starting order. Able to get it to work in IE.

I can't wait to see some of these programs!

Custom Title
    really need some professionals at IN. I was just watching the video of ryan Bradley and IN panned in closer and then you couldn't see the big TV in the arena.

Custom Title
    Do they not understand that folks on the internet are watching the interview that is going on in the arena?

yes, it IS worth it even in the nose bleeds. (and depending on the arena you *might* be able to sneak lower, but that's not advisable.

I got your program components right here. Pepe Nero's Avatar
    I'm loving Johnny's commentary. I'm so glad IN did something to make it a little more interesting. I think Johnny is pretty hilarious, actually. It's Mike Mancuso who needs to go. He just reads statistics that are already appearing on the screen. Tonia's not bad. I just wish Mike and Tonia would learn how to be the "straight man" (no pun intended). Their dead silences after Johnny says something snarky are the most awkward part.
    Last edited by Pepe Nero; 01-27-2012 at 11:40 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoates View Post
    I think the point has been made. If Johnny is overdone, then so are the complaints about him.

Point well taken, and I won't say anything more about him except for this one analogy:

It's like when one goes to the theatre to watch a movie, everybody's quiet & respectful, then comes that loudmouth ignorant a-hole (& friends sometime) that won't shut up and think it's all about them, not caring about the rest of the paying audience. Instead it's "ME, Me, me". And usually the staff is too scared to kick them out of the showhouse, so the rest of us have to suffer. But in this case, Johnny's nothing like that, he's intelligent and respectful enough to learn!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MAX, ROCK THE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!

Custom Title
    So...as we wait, I'm struck by just how well Rippon skated. All season he has seemed so content and happy with his work, and today, he was so focused and ready. Makes me really happy. Seems like the coaching change really worked for him.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast