Senior Men's Short Program, Fri. 1/27 at 10 pm EST | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Senior Men's Short Program, Fri. 1/27 at 10 pm EST

Nadine

Record Breaker
GREAT NIGHT OF SKATING (better than the womens last night; Agnes was phenomenal though)! :cool:

And my apologies to Mr. Weir, you're doing a great job, at first I was a crabby b*tich about it, but you lightened up and now remind me of Mr. Dick Button. The greatest compliment from me. Keep up the witty style, just tone it down on too much talking during the performance, but by the end of the night you were SUPERB, JOHNNY, SUPERB! :love: :bow: :love:

icebeauty

On the Ice
dare i fathom JW was actually nervous earlier? he gets chatty/rambles when he's not sure what to say...

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Gotta love that COP. Under the 6.0 system, I don't think the reigning US silver medalist would've wound up 4th to last in the SP, even if he'd skated this badly.

Nadine

Record Breaker
IN CONCLUSION:

Max & Aaron you two need to really bring it tomorrow in order to make the judges sit up & pay attention. And to show the other men what quads & powerful skating is all about (exception Jeremy Abbott, lol). That's the only way one of you is going to grab a medal. Jmho. Good Luck! :cool:

ps: and to ALL the men, remember Patrick Chan & Javier Fernandez, as well as Mr. Artur Gashinski, these three all have the quad and everything else as well. And the only way you're going to get past them is with a quad (or two) as well. Keep that in mind, gentlemen, good night & sweet dreams...

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love how Tonia kept quiet most of the night because she was horrified at what Johnny was saying. :laugh:

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Great skates from Jeremey, Adam, and Armin! Very excited for the long program. LOVED Johnny's commentating! Tonia's silent momenta were pretty funny:laugh: Jason Brown is my new favorite:rock:

Last edited:

macy

Record Breaker
I'm watching the ice desk now, OMG JOHNNY IS JUST HILARIOUS. he's so entertaining! and I thought he did such a wonderful job being a commentator for the first time. he was so knowledgeable and did a great job. love him.

Peter carruthers was soooo uncomfortable and annoyed lolol I couldn't stop laughing. Kristi and Ryan were basically like, uhhhhhh....

I think I have a new found love for Johnny.

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
GREAT JOB, KEEGAN, GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!! :cool: :clap: :points:

What I love about Keegan is his powerfulness and quickness, light on his feet, one of the fastest skaters out there, and his jumps are powerful. No quad, but he saved the 3L/3T combo. and his 3A was amongst the best in the world as well. :)

ps: Johnny comments are really starting to crack me up, especially that opening salvo "for those not paying attention, he just shot an arrow". :laugh:

Just got back from watching the SP live. Keegan is the fastest. His speed is incredible. My favorite program of the night.
Abbott has better skating skill and is the second fastest of the night. But Abbott is slow compare to Keegan.
From a scale 1-10, Keegan speed would be 10, Abbott 7, the rest of them in 5-6 range.

The slowest of all of them: Adam Rippon. His speed going into the triple axel is even slower than Caroline Zhang into her 2A. He did not deserve that score seeing him live. He seemed to be crawling out there. I'm surprised.

Another surprise thing was how fast and fluid Brandon Mroz was during warm up. From watching all 5 of them at once, Brandom seemed to have the best skating skill. Then during his program, he was just awkward and clumsy. I think it has to do with the choreography. Maybe find the right program, bring the lightness and effortlessness out of him. I've seen it. wouldn't believe it if someone tell me.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Keegan's always been incredibly fast... which is amazing considering the rink he trains at a lot of the time is super small compared to the arenas nationals normally take place in.

icebeauty

On the Ice
Another surprise thing was how fast and fluid Brandon Mroz was during warm up. From watching all 5 of them at once, Brandom seemed to have the best skating skill. Then during his program, he was just awkward and clumsy. I think it has to do with the choreography. Maybe find the right program, bring the lightness and effortlessness out of him. I've seen it. wouldn't believe it if someone tell me.

funny you mention this...it validates what i've always thought about Brandon. You can tell he has the talent and skills to be a very good skater, but his competitive programs just haven't suited him. At least he doesn't look comfortable and as though he's thinking very hard while skating.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Just got back from watching the SP live. Keegan is the fastest. His speed is incredible. My favorite program of the night.
Abbott has better skating skill and is the second fastest of the night. But Abbott is slow compare to Keegan.
From a scale 1-10, Keegan speed would be 10, Abbott 7, the rest of them in 5-6 range.

The slowest of all of them: Adam Rippon. His speed going into the triple axel is even slower than Caroline Zhang into her 2A. He did not deserve that score seeing him live. He seemed to be crawling out there. I'm surprised.

Thanks for this, FlattFan (we are simpatico)! :cool: I'm still on a high and can't settle down from this awesome night of skating; wish IN had the replays already up & ready to go b/c I'd be there watching my fav performances over & over again & over again. :D

It's good to hear a first-hand experience right from Nationals. Here's hoping you enjoy yourself, I unfortunately recall how you had planned to go to Worlds last year to see Rachael skate live for the very first time, but then that awful quake & tsunami hit. I'm glad you finally get to see her skate live. :) She is something else, especially when she's on & raring to go, I'll never forget seeing her live at 2010 Skate America. I'll always contend she deserves first place there.

ENJOY! :thumbsup:

Can't wait to hear your comments for the Mens FS! :rock: