Senior Men's Short Program, Fri. 1/27 at 10 pm EST | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Senior Men's Short Program, Fri. 1/27 at 10 pm EST

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
So all the As are leading after the SP: Agnes, Alissa, and Ashley in Ladies; Abbott, Adam and Armin in Men. Interesting.

Last edited:

ryanbfan

On the Ice
I would like to just say that the banshee you heard during Keegan's program was actually me and not an animal.

Everyone in my section was like "omg what is wrong with this girl"

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Thanks for this, FlattFan (we are simpatico)! :cool: I'm still on a high and can't settle down from this awesome night of skating; wish IN had the replays already up & ready to go b/c I'd be there watching my fav performances over & over again & over again. :D

It's good to hear a first-hand experience right from Nationals. Here's hoping you enjoy yourself, I unfortunately recall how you had planned to go to Worlds last year to see Rachael skate live for the very first time, but then that awful quake & tsunami hit. I'm glad you finally get to see her skate live. :) She is something else, especially when she's on & raring to go, I'll never forget seeing her live at 2010 Skate America. I'll always contend she deserves first place there.

ENJOY! :thumbsup:

Can't wait to hear your comments for the Mens FS! :rock:

Thanks Nadine. :)
It was awesome watching them live. I'm just happy to see her live.
Will report back for the Men's FS.

missysays

On the Ice
Just got back from watching the SP live. Keegan is the fastest. His speed is incredible. My favorite program of the night.
Abbott has better skating skill and is the second fastest of the night. But Abbott is slow compare to Keegan.
From a scale 1-10, Keegan speed would be 10, Abbott 7, the rest of them in 5-6 range.

I totally agree with you here. I just saw it live and what you don't see on IN or TV is that Keegan completely commands that ice with his drive across it. He instantly got my attention during the warm-up. I couldn't take my eyes off him- the other guys in his warm-up just kind of faded away. When he just skates around it's like he's gathering and harnessing the wind- just incredible to see in person.

While Jeremy might not motor across the ice as quickly as Keegan, he was the other person who captured my attention as soon as he got on the ice- but it was for his flow and the way he moves his body is just so sensitive and beautiful. I watched him just do these really simple backwards strokes like he was caressing and feeling out the ice. And he does this curving edge move with his head tilted up towards the ceiling that's just really gorgeous- I could watch it for days. Every beat of his music was acknowledged with a movement of some kind- just an incredibly nuanced program with fantastic finesse.

Keegan and Jeremy were definitely my favorites of the night- with Jeremy in a well deserved first place.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I'm watching the ice desk now, OMG JOHNNY IS JUST HILARIOUS. he's so entertaining! and I thought he did such a wonderful job being a commentator for the first time. he was so knowledgeable and did a great job. love him.

Peter carruthers was soooo uncomfortable and annoyed lolol I couldn't stop laughing. Kristi and Ryan were basically like, uhhhhhh....

I think I have a new found love for Johnny.

His press conference was excellent as well. Lots of great lines. I laughed especially hard at this one:

"This ridiculous scoring system wants you to do a Quad Flip with your finger in your nose. Or transform from a swan into a deck of cards in order to gain an extra .2 points." :laugh:

Nadine

Record Breaker
His press conference was excellent as well. Lots of great lines. I laughed especially hard at this one:

"This ridiculous scoring system wants you to do a Quad Flip with your finger in your nose. Or transform from a swan into a deck of cards in order to gain an extra .2 points." :laugh:

Lol this is funny! :biggrin: Thanks for posting it; will have to find the video later on and watch the press conference. :)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Great results. I hope Abbott and Rippon are our World team this year and Abbott wins his 3rd U.S title. If Abbott can skate a long program at the same level as his short program here, and do both at Worlds, he could be in the running for the silver medal.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Jeremy, great score. I hear he was just amazing, hopefully they will show his SP on NBC before the FS tomorrow.

Adam and Armin so happy for them both. So nice that they overcame their demons and skated clean.

Shout out to Ross Miner, good score for him too.

sunny0760

On the Ice
Saw Jeremy's and Adam's SP.
:yay: 3 times.
Really hope that Jeremy will rock in the already wonderful LP :love:which has not been skated cleanly yet.

Yuka and Jason's victory.:clap:

Hurdler4eva

Rinkside
Great results. I hope Abbott and Rippon are our World team this year and Abbott wins his 3rd U.S title. If Abbott can skate a long program at the same level as his short program here, and do both at Worlds, he could be in the running for the silver medal.

He wouldn't be in the running for gold?

emma

Record Breaker
Fantastic men's short last night; wow, wow, wow. I really enjoyed it.

I absolutely love Weir's commentating. As I said before, he could hold back a little more during the program.....let us feel it more, but I love how he calls the elements, is so knowledgable about all the skaters, he could talk through the entire warm-up, replays, and a little during the program itself and I would love love love it! (how about Gannon, Weir, and maybe Tanith as the new US commentator dream team?).

Am I the only one who was furious at Johnny for blathering all the way through Jeremy's skate? Seriously - I will never be able to rewatch that incredible performance without hearing Johnny's stream of consciousness and his chitchat with Tania. (I'm mad at her too.) Bring back Wylie or Uncle Dick!

(I enjoyed him at first, but he likes hearing himself talk more than he likes watching the skaters. And he inserted his personal preferences too much. And eyebrows???)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
He wouldn't be in the running for gold?

Chan is a mortal lock for gold at Worlds. So no he wouldnt be. He is on the right track to battle with others for the silver if he can produce the same skating in the long program with a quad or two though. The problem is he sometimes peaks at Nationals, hopefully this year it will just be a stepping stone.

jcoates

Medalist
Uncle Dick would have blathered just as much as Johnny. I love the man to death, but he can talk about anything and through anything. He actually became more talkative as he aged. He talked less in the 60s ad 70s and early 80s.

Johnny was fine, A little hyper perhaps, but give him a break. He was likely quite nervous as he has not commentated in a while, was doing it live this time and will be competing against these guys next season. He was light years better than Navarro was in ice dance. She was positively tongue tied the whole night. Poor thing was so nervous. PS, no major screw ups of names by Manucuso so far. For that we can all be grateful.

I much preferred Navarro in ice dance! And Uncle Dick did not talk one-quarter as much as Johnny did (referencing the commentary on Jeremy specifically)!

On another note: whatever Brandon may look like in practice, I can't remember ever seeing him when he didn't look wooden and unhappy, apart from his breakout performance at Nats a couple years ago. That's too bad. I can't help wondering if switching to pairs could possibly work for him. (He's tall enough for Caitlin Y....) Maybe the pressure would be a little less.

Last edited: