Will the Nationals be on Youtube | Golden Skate

Will the Nationals be on Youtube

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Tried to watch the Chen girl, slowed down like Nathan Chen, the video that is. how is this being done?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I can't find any of the ladies sp skates and the juniors are slowed down-something blocking them...what is it with usfsa? we saw other events-videos posted asap. anyone got some good links? i'm searching...thankyou.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I can't find any of the ladies sp skates and the juniors are slowed down-something blocking them...what is it with usfsa? we saw other events-videos posted asap. anyone got some good links? i'm searching...thankyou.

I think Ice Network owns the rights at least for now. They have been vigilantly taking down videos. I would not count on being able to see the ladies SP on youtube until at least the end of this season i.e. Worlds. It has nothing to do with USFSA other than that they have sold the rights to Ice Network.

Artistry

On the Ice
I also don’t understand.

In our era, it seems you can find so much on youtube, stream TV programs for free, etc.
But finding ice skating coverage is like mining for secret information - tricking geoblocking, listening to Estonian TV, installing Japanese streaming applications! How does the USFSA plan on raising the sport’s obscure status, if it takes so much effort to follow it? I was actually watching happily the GPF from 2011 on New Year’s Eve, instead of partying, on Universal Sports, when at midnight - the channel disappeared!

So frustrating. I found ONE video of Caroline up right now. What are people who don’t have icenetwork supposed to do? Any ideas? I don’t love the sport enough to pay for icenetwork, because I speak russian and stream all their coverage for other events. Who holds the copyright to youtube videos of Nationals anyway?

Thanks in advance.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I also don’t understand.

In our era, it seems you can find so much on youtube, stream TV programs for free, etc.
But finding ice skating coverage is like mining for secret information - tricking geoblocking, listening to Estonian TV, installing Japanese streaming applications! How does the USFSA plan on raising the sport’s obscure status, if it takes so much effort to follow it? I was actually watching happily the GPF from 2011 on New Year’s Eve, instead of partying, on Universal Sports, when at midnight - the channel disappeared!

So frustrating. I found ONE video of Caroline up right now. What are people who don’t have icenetwork supposed to do? Any ideas? I don’t love the sport enough to pay for icenetwork, because I speak russian and stream all their coverage for other events. Who holds the copyright to youtube videos of Nationals anyway?

Thanks in advance.

It is not that Ice Network owns the right to the youtube video- it is that the video that people post on youtube is owned by Ice Network.

I wish as much as anyone else that the videos were available for people who don't have Ice Network but it's very understandable that Ice Network is removing them. They could hardly expect to make any money otherwise as fewer people would subscribe.

heyang

Record Breaker
People are posting copyrighted material on YouTube. They don't have the authority to do so - thsu, removed.

As others have mentioned, NBC and Ice Network are paying for broadcast rights so they can make money from advertisements or subscription fees. If the USFSA or anyone makes video available, they are interefering with what NBC and Ice Network owns - broadcast rights.

NBC will have coverage on Saturday afternoon and evening, as well as the next 2 Sunday afternoons. This just reminds me of the 80's when the most of the competitions would be over before airing on tv - just harder to avoid the spoilers now.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
People are posting copyrighted material on YouTube. They don't have the authority to do so - thsu, removed.

As others have mentioned, NBC and Ice Network are paying for broadcast rights so they can make money from advertisements or subscription fees. If the USFSA or anyone makes video available, they are interefering with what NBC and Ice Network owns - broadcast rights.

NBC will have coverage on Saturday afternoon and evening, as well as the next 2 Sunday afternoons. This just reminds me of the 80's when the most of the competitions would be over before airing on tv - just harder to avoid the spoilers now.

Exactly. The videos taken from IN and posted on Youtube are basically STOLEN. They're giving a paid service over to a free service WITHOUT PERMISSION. I know this is becoming a foreign concept in the entitlement era the Internet has us in, but you can't always get something for nothing. Nor should you.

brightphoton

Medalist
Get off your high horse, Tonichelle. I'm sure heyang knows what the concepts of theft and entitlement mean. They aren't complex ideas and there's no need to be so patronizing.

I don't agree with IceNetwork's outdated business model. For all figure skaters whine about being in an unpopular sport, the head honchos aren't helping with their expensive, sub-par quality broadcast package. You can watch TV shows for free on fox's official site, comedy central, pretty much any major network. Why should anyone pay $40 to see a couple of videos from Nationals with a sporadic feed? That's larger than my entire cable bill. Whatever, I'm waiting to see it on NBC.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Just logging back in to say I have to agree with Tonichelle on this one. Jmho. Carry on. :)

brightphoton

Medalist
Oh, I see. I though you were accusing heyand of not knowing what theft was in this entitlement era, cuz you know, the Internet makes people stupid apparently. My bad.

Trewyn

Medalist
I don't agree with IceNetwork's outdated business model. For all figure skaters whine about being in an unpopular sport, the head honchos aren't helping with their expensive, sub-par quality broadcast package. You can watch TV shows for free on fox's official site, comedy central, pretty much any major network. Why should anyone pay $40 to see a couple of videos from Nationals with a sporadic feed? That's larger than my entire cable bill. Whatever, I'm waiting to see it on NBC.

Exactly. I also disagree with IN's refusal to differentiate prices/packages for non-US countries. I refuse to pay the same amount of money as US citizens and only get the Nationals SP's live. US people get the WHOLE GP and often (Jr) Worlds, 4 continents etc. It's like paying for a six course dinner but only getting the appetizer or the cookie that comes with the coffee. On top of that the one time I did pay, to watch Sasha live at the 2010 Nats SP the feed was very unreliable and often failed me (during Sasha's skate as well).

The whole discussion about copyright and youtube; I think the message that I agree with is that it's bad for the sport that it's become so HARD to watch it. Obscure Russian streams are a horrible last resort and my family always casts me pitying glances when they see me looking intently at that tiny, horrible quality box on my screen. When I tell me people I'm into figure skating they always say 'oh I like watching that sometimes' and if only I were able to say 'sure, tune in on Saturday night on that channel and you'll be able to watch a great competition live!'. But no. That only happens at the Olympics at best. On top of that where I live Eurosport disappeared from classic cable and is only available to people with digital tv. It's just a neverending string of frustration.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
It makes sense to put the videos up after the comp to build a base...love the entitlement word with punity-republican anyone?

they charge too much, but at least they'd be smarter to keep fans by posting them..it still isnt watching actual competition, plus they make money on ads on the vids.so double the money.

youtube is so different now under google-i am confused...read Newsweek this past week to see what they envision-it will ruin the great anarchy/freedom of youtube as they want to compete with tv-should be easy as TV is now for the dumbest by and large-hideous programming. I will see NBC i hope.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The Ladies Long and Free Dance are on live today on NBC, and the Pairs Long and Men's Long will be on tomorrow.

In fact, the dance program is a two hour slot, 4 to 6 pm EST and they plan to show the whole last 2 flights.

So definitely if you have a US NBC channel on cable in Canada, you have a very good shot at seeing US Nationals.

Another spate of youtube videos will probably appear after NBC airs. However, since icenetwork will still be airing the long programs and free dance on demand, those videos will definitely be taken down as soon as Google/youtube finds them, because of copyright infringement.

Sometimes Japanese TV will show US Nationals later. Typically those videos are not taken down. Sometimes, they will be taken down because the owner of the music copyright enforces their ownership of the music. In that case, there are three options, which the owner of the music copyright can choose from:

An ad to purchase the song on youtube will be added to the piece
The sound will be removed from the video
The entire video will be removed.

Personally, I agree with those who have said that it's a short sighted business model to remove videos. However, USFS has contracted with Major League Baseball to run icenetwork. I'm sure that they had to insure that content would be protected to get MLB to sign that contract.

I'm grateful to be able to see what we can.

I've got to say that this is the first year that I have been able to view seniors programs live with good quality streaming, so MLB/IN has improved their product.

Furthermore, if you have a newer computer and TV, and the appropriate cable(s), it is not hard to display streaming video on your TV. (Check the manuals for your TV to be sure you do it correctly). In past years, IN coverage was not of high enough quality to be enjoyable on the TV, but it is now.)

Nadine

Record Breaker
It makes sense to put the videos up after the comp to build a base...love the entitlement word with punity-republican anyone?

they charge too much, but at least they'd be smarter to keep fans by posting them..it still isnt watching actual competition, plus they make money on ads on the vids.so double the money.

youtube is so different now under google-i am confused...read Newsweek this past week to see what they envision-it will ruin the great anarchy/freedom of youtube as they want to compete with tv-should be easy as TV is now for the dumbest by and large-hideous programming. I will see NBC i hope.

Tsk, tsk, blanket statement, republican. :biggrin:

I'll make one of my own as well, and say that it's usually the liberals always whining & complaining about a hand-out, a freebie, never wanting to pay, let alone full price. ;)

If you can't afford it, stop ********, go out and earn the money just like everyone else. No sob story either.

Stop expecting everyone else to pay for you (figuratively speaking here), then get a free ride. -that, why should I or anyone else have to pay, just so others can get a free ride. .! :disagree:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
what else do you want to call it, if not feeling entitled to something that really is not something you are at all? It's available to all US dwellers for 40 bucks, do I think it's worth it? No. But I'm not sitting here trying to find a way to steal it either, which is what the youtube version is. Yeah, it sucks, but that's how they've chosen to do it. Taking it and running with it isn't going to get them to soften their viewpoint. And, hey, be grateful they were able to get this sort of contract at all.

Yes, originally it came into your home for free. That's not happening these days. That doesn't mean a right has been taken away. Either you go TO the event to watch it or you can watch it on ice network.

Again - I'm not saying this is the best way, but it is how they've chosen to do it. I wish I could watch clips of my favs, too... but it's not going to happen. And I don't think it's a big bad conspiracy or something we (as a whole or in part) need to break the law over.

brightphoton

Medalist
IceNetwork can use whatever business model they like. If they want to charge more for a few videos than Comcast charges for 300+ channels 24/7/365, it's their prerogative.

Of course that means figure skating will remain unpopular and unwatchable, but I'm sure the big executives care less about that than some short term munnnney in their pockets.

I would happily spend $$ on IN - if only it would work. Netflix, youtube, hulu - these all work just fine on my computer. IN - constant freeze, even when the skating isn't live!

MissIzzy

Final Flight
I would happily spend $$ on IN - if only it would work. Netflix, youtube, hulu - these all work just fine on my computer. IN - constant freeze, even when the skating isn't live!

That's a huge problem; I remained faithfully subscribed to IN for two years during which I could hardly ever use it, because I didn't have much bandwidth and the stream hogs so much. The least these services can do is offer a true low-bandwidth option for those users. I ended up resorting to finding bootleg streams for the Grand Prix events I'd paid for, because that was all my computer could handle. I have more bandwidth now, thankfully, but that's made me quick to notice how often even that hasn't been enough to handle IceNetwork's stream this week. I blame IceNetwork less if they're going after videos specifically ripped from their stream; that's sensible enough, but if they're going to do make it impossible to watch otherwise, the very least they can do is allow their users to actually get what they paid for!

If you subscribe at the beginning of the season, they sell it for $30, at least they have done in the past.

The couple of problems with it I've had pale compared to the fun of being able to watch entire competitions on high-quality vid without panicked hunting and without having to download strange software. :unsure: I've used it on two different computers without any computer-related problems, and both were pretty basic machines. I can't comment on the bandwidth problem though. (The only problems I've had were once when IN couldn't get their feed up and a tiny freeze here and there.)

Last edited: