Will the Nationals be on Youtube | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Will the Nationals be on Youtube

katia

On the Ice
I'll make one of my own as well, and say that it's usually the liberals always whining & complaining about a hand-out, a freebie, never wanting to pay, let alone full price.

If you can't afford it, stop ********, go out and earn the money just like everyone else. No sob story either.

Nadine
I think that the same one can say about US giving money (aka helping) other countries. Why US is giving money for other countries? The partial answer is: to be more popular among population of that country
I think what US skating federation is doing is short sighted. And not only US skating federation. Check the new google policy and check ACTA. All of this is very shortsighted for american music and film industry, not to mention for technical innovation.
fyi I am against sob stories but I am definitely against ill considered policy resulting in unpopularity of figure skating.

Last edited by a moderator:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Like Tonichelle, $40 for an IN subscription is too much for me. However, I would not pay $10 for the subscription either, so I think the pricing is smart on their end. Anyone would would go through the trouble to pay ANYTHING for a subscription would probably not blink an eye at the $40 price tag. Really, anyone paying for the subscription is going to be an uber fan anyway so why not charge as much as they can?

Like others have said, they have every right to protect their intellectual property. What I'd be curious to know is how many subscriptions they sell annually. I'd be surprised if it numbered even in the thousands. If that's the case I don't know if that would be the optimal business model for the service (i.e. would they make more money streaming for free, increasing viewership and selling commercials?)

katia

On the Ice
I think I would go with very low price or no price at all and a lots of commercials.
As a result of very, very low price more people will pay and network will get more money. (I mean look how much money is going to China, their products are cheaper and some are worse than American or European equivalent products but more people buy their products so overall they are getting more money than Europeans or Americans ).
If there would be no price than network should have lots of commercials. In that way they also will get their investment back.

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Nadine-you don't know why I can't work, very disabled. Don't be so offensive-you never use discretion or a filter, ever and you should SOMETIMES! Don't turn this political because war will break out-you love to stir the pot but SOMETIMES YOU SHOULD NOT Show some sensitivity. IN'S POLICY IS SHORTSIGHTED, WE MOSTLY AGREE-BAD FOR SKATING AND THER GD BOTTOM LINE. Love, Skateluvr.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
what else do you want to call it, if not feeling entitled to something that really is not something you are at all? It's available to all US dwellers for 40 bucks, do I think it's worth it? No. But I'm not sitting here trying to find a way to steal it either, which is what the youtube version is. Yeah, it sucks, but that's how they've chosen to do it. Taking it and running with it isn't going to get them to soften their viewpoint. And, hey, be grateful they were able to get this sort of contract at all.

Yes, originally it came into your home for free. That's not happening these days. That doesn't mean a right has been taken away. Either you go TO the event to watch it or you can watch it on ice network.

Again - I'm not saying this is the best way, but it is how they've chosen to do it. I wish I could watch clips of my favs, too... but it's not going to happen. And I don't think it's a big bad conspiracy or something we (as a whole or in part) need to break the law over.

I am working with atty general and my congressman because of t-mobiles greed . charter cable is screwing us bigtime, all former "free" (not free) now is charged-wake up to corporate america. you sound like sarah palin, God deliver us!

PS How many laws that brought us to the brink of extinction on Wallstreet were broken with not one prosecution? Are you aware of the total change in the climate of greed in this country? Are you old enough to remember what this country WAS past tense and how corporate greed has destroyed it? I do far more than hang out here to fight for things. Ever hear of PIPA and SOPA and what went down? The copywright issue is huge and people like me are fighting to keep thousands of websites from being shut down by these huge corporations who STEAL FROM US ALL THE TIME. AND YOU THINK WATCHING A VIDEO SOMEONE POSTS PAST THE COMPETITION IS SOME TERRIBLE CRIME? I am going to send you many petitions and keep you informed. The internet is the last place where there is free speech due to anonymity. Ms Zuckerberg wants to change that. When govt can shut down a site, or a huge corporation can shut down youtube for using some music, some kid put up, we are the big losers. EVEN DORIS WHO SEEMS LIKE SHE CAN WELL AFFORD WHATEVER FEE, AGREES THE BUSINESS MODEL SUCKS, AND IT IS TERRIBLE FOR A SPORT THAT IS ALMOST EXTINCT. This is a much larger issue my friend. If it were worth 40.00 I'd pay it, but it's robbery on their part. I love it when people who are the 99% seem to stick up for the 1 percent. The tea party is dying as the idiots wise up to the millionaires bought by the koch brothers and voted for by people who don't understand that 1 percent owns 40 percent. Do you think that all happened legally? Research the Koch Brothers that created the tea party. We have robber barons running america and to use your phrase, you get your panties in a wad cause some FS vids get posted and you paid the 40 bucks. God forbid we should have anything free left in America. You have pointed out along with Nadine, the huge divide between the haves and have nots. I just wonder how much you are aware of. I am a social worker. I believe in helping those who cannot help themselves. One day I was able bodied. The next doctors destroyed me with impunity. That was a crime with no one paying.

I enjoy all your posts but FS can be myopic. Sometimes I think this fan boards are full of people more upset with IJS than their country in ruins as we listen to Edvin Marton and discuss whose quad is better.:scowl::cry::bang::mad:

What have you done to change Citizen's United?

Last edited:

verte76

On the Ice
icenetwork is always freezing on me! My canary freaks out ehrn I try to turn on the video and it's frozen!:disapp:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'd use the Unisports subscription option then, if it's being that big of a deal...

as for what I'm doing to change things - I don't find teh government needs to get involved with figure skating broadcast rights, and I support companies/photographers/videographers/etc to protect their copyrights as a photographer myself.

I had a few little problems with IN during 4CC but just closed and reopened it and all was well. I'm a big fan and don't see any problem with their charging for it, esp. since they have sales on the subscription price. (Maybe I will try to post here the next time I notice one.) We live in an age of cable TV, pay per view, and Netflix (am I out of date here?). Should skating commit financial suicide now that big sponsorships are gone? It costs money to organize the sport - it's got to come from somewhere.

For those who can't afford $30 or $40, IN now has a $12 package that includes just 4CC and Worlds. That's a lot of skating for the price of a movie ticket. Maybe they'll introduce another low-cost package that includes just Nats, just Worlds, or a monthly payment plan that makes the season pass easier to pay for.

It seems like the partnership with MLB has allowed US figure skating to have a very professional product as far as the "how" is concerned. That leaves the "what" - if more people want to watch, they'll pay for it, but it's a big if.