Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Men Free Program

Custom Title
    If I were to attend something like Holiday on Ice, I'd go expecting to see luxurious costumes, group numbers, lots of fancy and elegant skating (blade work). I should not be considering it to be a sporting event, but rather, a theatrical display of elegance and skill.

When I have attended eligible competitions, I was not looking for those things. In the Men's event, I looked forward to a display of difficulty overcome, risks taken, a striving for the nearly impossible, a contest between the skater and the limitations of his own stamina, a reaching for the sky, one might say. I would go expecting to see sport, a singular sport in which the player is out there all alone, all his errors showing, with no other player upon whom he can blame them. I would go expecting to see courage and will. I would go hoping to be thrilled, not merely entertained. I love men's figure skating for the thrills. Sometimes I would see something so whole, so beautiful, so exquisitely expressed, that, like the rest of the audience, I would fall silent with awe. This, too, I came to see.

Tastes differ, so we all must agree to disagree. To a great extent, that is what a discussion board is for, i.e., the airing of disparate opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    I'm bummed. Javi is my favorite, and he's just so off tonight.
    Me too, I'm glad that he ended in a higher position than last year. I hear he entered this competition nursing a neck and hip injury. Hopefully we'll see him in a better shape for worlds. I'm still very proud of him.

Custom Title
    Here are the protocols

nefertiti..reincarnate
    I came here late ... just now and holy cow and I bow to this incredible achievement by Plushy. All my respect to him.
    Congrats to the medalists. Glad that Flo is doing better as the season gets close to its peak.

Plush you made me your fan today.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO KEVIN VAN DER PERREN!!!!

Thirteen years competing at Europeans straight through from 1999-2012 (no break), with two Bronze Medals, becoming the first man from Belgium to capture a medal at Euros since 1947! And the first man from Belgiumever to win at medal at Jr. Worlds in 2002. (:^)

HERE WE GO!@!
    I was at a friend's place to watch Kevin on tv, so I wasn't hear to cheer along with you! But aw so sad he withdrew! Did he do the warm-up? Or was he a no-show? Apparantly he broke his wrist (or sprained it at the very least). It's also *possible* *maybe* that he'll do World after all. Though he might be under pressure to give the spot to Jorik? Even though he earned it fairly at Belgian Nats :s

He's an amazing guy. I've met him several times and he's so genuine. Great guy and what a trooper :-)

Quote Originally Posted by machin View Post
    Well... how to say this ? I'm with you when you talk about courage & strength but class, style, finesse ? I'm sorry, wearing too many times this horrendous bones outfit alone disqualified him. And that's just an exemple; the superhero one is also something that must be forbidden from competitions.
    On the other hand, the second time he used Lawrence of Arabia as FS music, he wore a white and golden one very nice to watch from both sides !
    I agree he wasn't the most 'artistic' or fashion sensible in his choice of outfits, but 'style' and 'class' also refer (I think) to the way he's always been as a person, not bigheaded and all that.

I hope he'll manage Nice so he can go out with the kind of program he wanted.

EDIT to avoid double-posting: my general thoughts on the competition: glad Plushenko won; he had star quality tonight and got the job done; Florent's reaction to his medal was so cute :-) Sad for Javi and Joubert :s And Verner.. will he ever keep it together again?
    Last edited by Trewyn; 01-28-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Plushy , that was a treat ! The guy is phenomenal. And so much of what I've objected to in his material over the years , was missing , or toned way down. Good luck to him with his operation.

Glad to see Gachinsky deliver. I love this program for him ( even though they've changed one of my favourite choreographic touches)

Javier ( sob..) Hope to see him fight back at world's..( you can do it, Javi ).
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 01-28-2012 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    evgeni brought the arena down, skated far far better than olys and made ant a fan! (Although he told me not to say anywhere)
    I'm sure all 8000 at the arena became fans if they weren't already. I can't stop thinking about his performance. Thrilled to have it recorded on my computer. It will be one of the classics

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    We celebrate with Ant before going to the ladies!!! I cried my eyes out!!!

Yes chan can beat him but who cares!!! evgeni brought the arena down, skated far far better than olys and made ant a fan! (Although he told me not to say anywhere)
    I'm so happy you were there to witness that!!! Even I became a bit of a fan of Plushenko and I was definitely rooting for him to win here! That *was* beter than Olys :D

Btw; about Kevin; there seem to be a lot of conflicting reports as to the reason of his withdrawal so far I've heard/read toe injury, broken wrist, back and knee problems... Was it all of that combined? or did he just not feel up to the task?

Belgian newspaper says he's going to Nice.

Custom Title
    .... Love him, dislike him, you can't be indifferent to him. Plushenko is a skating machine. My goodness. I'm really rooting for Chan at the Olympics, and I hope he ups his game in a big way, otherwise it'll be Plushenko's to take. Man's a legend.

Custom Title

Wow, Plushy, wow! congrats! And congrats to all the medalists.

Custom Title
    I was never a fan of Plushenko. Out of curiosity, I watched the footage and was surprised that I actually liked both of his performances. Something has changed about his style and I cannot pinpoint what it is. Anyway, I hope he keeps training and earning medals in his competitive career.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Plushenko - what???? How is that even thinkable for an old man like him, let alone possible? I'm a fan now too. One has to salute such greatness of will and immensity of talent.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    One has to salute such greatness of will and immensity of talent.
    Perfect summation.

Custom Title
    Not a big fan of Plushenko but I really enjoyed yesterdays performance. You have to hand it to him, a few years out of the sport, injured, little competitive practice and comes out and blows everyone away. The performance didn't seem as OTT as usual, things were toned down. A very commanding performance.

Happy for Gachinski, jumps were good but he needs to work on everything else but he is definitely moving in the right direction. Would have preferred Brezina on the podium instead of Amodio

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Perfect summation.
    Thanks. : ) I forgot to add sheer love of figure skating. He won't let it go! But by golly he's not going to be one of those who slowly slip down and out of the sport.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast