Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Men Free Program

Custom Title
    Late last night I watched an interesting special about Joe Namath (think it was a brand new Biography Special), but was sooo tired from watching the US Ladies FS on NBC from 9-11PM PST that unfortunately I kept dozing off, but the ONE thing I do recall was this:

when Joe was in his 20's his doctor told his mother that by the time he was 40 yrs. old he would have the body of a 73 yr. old., and today at 69 yrs. old he walks on two artificial knees, not to mention his lifelong struggle with alcoholism due to the pain he sustained from all his injuries during football.

Why do I bring this up? Because it makes me think of Evgeni Plushenko, and alll those that paid with their life to become the greatest of all time; that's what it takes, and for that they have my total respect & utmost admiration & love. They love their sport so much they would die for it. And that's what makes a truly Great Champion imho. They go above & beyond and pay the ultimate sacrifice ~ their life. And as with Lucinda Ruh, I leave you with one of my favorite quotes because to me it encompasses The Great Evgeni Plushenko, 3-time Olympic Medalist, 9-time Russian National Champion, 7-time European Champion, 3-Time World Champion, etc. etc. etc. (and he's not done yet!):

“There is a legend about a bird which sings just once in its life, more sweetly than any other creature on the face of the earth. From the moment it leaves the nest it searches for a thorn tree, and does not rest until it has found one. Then, singing among the savage branches, it impales itself upon the longest, sharpest spine. And, dying, it rises above its own agony to outcarol the lark and the nightingale. One superlative song, existence the price. But the whole world stills to listen, and God in His heaven smiles. For the best is only bought at the cost of great pain.

Yeah it froze!

Custom Title
    Plushenko for sure deserved this win, but I feel like skating has passed him by. Jumps are still looking really strong, but I just didn't see the quality elsewhere, spins, footwork, transitions, expression all ok but not great. Didn't feel the connection to the music from him either. It is impressive to perform at this level at this age, but it's not world beating anymore

Edgy Details
    Quote Originally Posted by 3T3T View Post
    Not a big fan of Plushenko but I really enjoyed yesterdays performance. You have to hand it to him, a few years out of the sport, injured, little competitive practice and comes out and blows everyone away. The performance didn't seem as OTT as usual, things were toned down. A very commanding performance.
    This is exactly how I feel as well. I am very impressed. I did not expect to enjoy him so much. Finally a 'toned down' program!

Verner - what is wrong with him? He used to be my favourite skater, but now he lacks energy, he is slow, he does not express the music with his body like he used to do and his programs are simply... boring and unoriginal.

Brezina - I hope he will reach his potential soon. Maybe coaching change would do him good? He has really a bad luck with all these 4th places :(

Gachinsky - everyone else said it already. He needs tones of polishing.

Amodio - I am not a fan, but he deserved his 3rd place.

Contesti - where everyone else sees a great program, I just see sloppines, slow skating, terrible posture, lack of quality in every single element. He has great personality, and to me he could totally sell his programs, if not all the factos mentioned above. Sorry.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    One has to salute such greatness of will and immensity of talent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    sheer love of figure skating
    My attitude toward him as a skater has changed dramatically. He has gained my highest respect. He is a true role model in the sports in terms of his love, his skills and his will. I'll give him the "best athlete of the year" award for that.
    A child prodigy comes at least once in a decade, but a persistent champion that overcomes age and body constraints, that never stops improving himself, and that still sets a high bar in technical standard comes only once in a life time.
    Last edited by skatinginbc; 01-29-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinga View Post
    Verner - what is wrong with him? He used to be my favourite skater, but now he lacks energy, he is slow, he does not express the music with his body like he used to do and his programs are simply... boring and unoriginal.

Contesti - where everyone else sees a great program, I just see sloppines, slow skating, terrible posture, lack of quality in every single element. He has great personality, and to me he could totally sell his programs, if not all the factos mentioned above. Sorry.
    Verner - Yeah, I feel the same way. Mostly, I'm disappointed that he hasn't really pushed himself to develop his interpretation. He's always been a great performer, but I wish he would strive to be more because I really feel he could be. I know he's always tried to perform for the audience, but at a certain point you've gone into pandering territory & that's doing yourself a disservice

Contesti - Perhaps I missed something, but I don't remember anyone calling his program great. I wouldn't be surprised if someone said the program was great for him, but I never got the sense that anyone thought the program great in general. I'd say your analysis is spot on & it was my impression that that was about what most everyone else thought. But, maybe I'm wrong.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinga View Post
    Amodio - I am not a fan, but he deserved his 3rd place.
    Brezina deserved 3rd! He did more Triples and had a better program. I'm not sure how Amodio's terrible music cuts and lack of content got him on the podium.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Brezina deserved 3rd! He did more Triples and had a better program. I'm not sure how Amodio's terrible music cuts and lack of content got him on the podium.
    I think it was mainly by virtue of being cleaner & not skating directly after Plushenko.

On the topic of Florent's music cuts: I think the new cuts are a lot weirder than before, but at least they're less obnoxious & grating. Mind you, the music & the program itself both remain sufficiently obnoxious & grating. Mr. Amodio is not one to disappoint.

Quote Originally Posted by jan View Post
    Under the TES scores Chan would probably still have a 10 point lead....Even accounting for individual scores and tastes Chans transition scores would be much higher. At this comp they even put Plushys transitions scores down. You also have to remember that Plushy has a front loaded program so he is giving up 10% bonus after the halfway mark.
    Yeah Plush should at least try to get either the 3A or the 3A 3t combo into the second half of the program.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Ah, I m still flying, what a weekend! The one who commented about I/K fd music, it was so repetitive it burnt your brain cells, but I found myself singing it in the plane today! Toni Ant gave me an autograph, you wanna bid for it?

Rinkside
    I always feel that way too. 3A or even a 3A 3T combo at the second half of the program should be easy for plush. He is still recovering from injuries though so hopefully we will see a more developed program in Sochi!

Custom Title
    It didn't have to be a 3A it just could have been the 3lz-3t-3lo combo which is 5 seconds before the halfway point because the other 3lz was after the halfway point. The idea of moving the three jump combo 5 seconds further was obvious.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Trewn I was really sad about KVDP, because in warm up he did great, then he tried an axel and didnt work (it think it was axel), it looked like he would withdraw after as he did circles doing nothing and all arena stood and clapped him as he left, I was really waiting for his man in the iron mask, I always love this music in arena like B/L last year. I think he injured his wrist some days ago and that was the basic reason, in practice he was holding his hand all the time. And he couldnt jump there. But in warmup I think he looked better. It was sad he didnt skate, I hope he goes to worlds.

Skaters who stood out better than i thought in Lp was Contesti and Hendrix, they had a very good lp and connectio with audience. Especially Contesti. Chaffic, Verner and sort of Fernandez dissapointed me. Chaffic was nowhere near practice, Verner was the old self back and didnt bother to project and Fernandez started great but finished with looking down all the time and no connection to anyone. This verdi program doesnt help him like Sp. Arthur needs some presentation experience in a show or something, he looks down a lot, Amodio was a huge step up from GP but I thought Brezina would be third, although to be honest Brezina's Lp I remember it through a fog.
    Plushy, what can I say...I bump into him later at night outside the dining arena, he was with his wife, and all i could say was Hey how did you do it AGAIN? He laughed.

Small medals ceremony that was before gala, I couldnt watch well because it was crowded so i decided to watch the rest from the big screen, sigh I missed the last question live (12.40 min) , but everybody who was watching the screen in arena went nuts from laughing.
    Last edited by seniorita; 01-31-2012 at 01:11 PM.

Rinkside

Xavi?

Where was Xavi Fernandez? What happened to him? I mean I think he is the most exciting of all the Euro competitors!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Trewn I was really sad about KVDP, because in warm up he did great, then he tried an axel and didnt work (it think it was axel), it looked like he would withdraw after as he did circles doing nothing and all arena stood and clapped him as he left, I was really waiting for his man in the iron mask, I always love this music in arena like B/L last year. I think he injured his wrist some days ago and that was the basic reason, in practice he was holding his hand all the time. And he couldnt jump there. But in warmup I think he looked better. It was sad he didnt skate, I hope he goes to worlds.

Skaters who stood out better than i thought in Lp was Contesti and Hendrix, they had a very good lp and connectio with audience. Especially Contesti. Chaffic, Verner and sort of Fernandez dissapointed me. Chaffic was nowhere near practice, Verner was the old self back and didnt bother to project and Fernandez started great but finished with looking down all the time and no connection to anyone. This verdi program doesnt help him like Sp. Arthur needs some presentation experience in a show or something, he looks down a lot, Amodio was a huge step up from GP but I thought Brezina would be third, although to be honest Brezina's Lp I remember it through a fog.
    Plushy, what can I say...I bump into him later at night outside the dining arena, he was with his wife, and all i could say was Hey how did you do it AGAIN? He laughed.

Small medals ceremony that was before gala, I couldnt watch well because it was crowded so i decided to watch the rest from the big screen, sigh I missed the last question live (12.40 min) , but everybody who was watching the screen in arena went nuts from laughing.
    To some extent I'm happy I wasn't there to witness Kevin leaving like that :s Yeah it looks like it was mostly the wrist. I really, really hope he'll be at Worlds and can do something similar as in Turin in 2010! But his facebook messages aren't very optimistic :( Still. Fingers crossed.

If not I'll do my best and try to be happy for Jorik, who, as a skater, is definitely growing on me :-)

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast