Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Senior Free Dance at 3:00pm EST.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    My hope is for a revival of North American Challenge in Dance as a senior B, based in Detroit, or, failing that, an upgrade of Lake Placid IDC as a Senior B.

I'm thinking that the lure of getting those extra ISU points, plus early feedback, would lure all those wonderful teams based in Detroit and Ontario, not to mention the rest of the teams in the US & Canada, to compete in the summer!

I would so go to that

Just think, all of teams who train in driving distance to Detroit
    If you add the ones who train at Liberty it would be formidible indeed.

But I would hope Wing & Lowe's teams would try to compete there too...

Custom Title
    One other comment about the FD yesterday...

The Shibs not only made those fantastic changes to the SD but also added performance nuances to the FD that really gave extra texture and oomph to the presentation of the entire program. And can I just say how wonderful Alex was- the little shake of the finger at Maia before they launched into the first steps- the adjusting of his tie and flicking of his suspenders at the tap dance section.

That's what you need to do to bring this FD alive and make it fresh. Loved what Alex said in the press conference about Igor's direction that at the time this music came out it was a game changer and added new life and zing to music at the time.

They should feel proud of how they dug deep and addressed all the critique from the beginning of this season.

I missed this competition.

There wasn't anything about this competion in the press or local anything, I hate missing ice dance competitions.

If you sign up for Icenetwork, they will have the whole competition "on demand" fairly soon, if not now.

Banned
    To be honest I thought the Shibutanis were quite overscored even with National scoring inflation and too close to Davis & White. I think the USFSA is trying to push them to repeat their World medal from last year, but I dont think international judges will be swayed by their scores here.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by CassAgain View Post
    Madison and Zach were wonderful, too. I would have given 3rd to Lynn and Logan, though.
    I got to actually watch the championship finals dance in person at HP Pavilion (first time I'd ever been to a Nationals competition ever so it was a bit exciting). I loved Lynn and Logan too (I'd never seen them before). I thought they should have gotten 3rd too. They were all great. And seeing Davis and White and the Shibs live is a memory I'll never forget, sorry if I sound cheesy but I had fun yesterday.

So they didn't show the short program of the ice dance on NBC? I don't have cable anymore so I miss these things and thought of sigining up for Ice Network. I hate how short shrift is given to ice skating these days on regular TV.
    Last edited by reneerose; 01-29-2012 at 11:28 PM.

Custom Title
    I was there seeing the free dance. I don't normally watch dance, but I thought I should check it out since we have 2 world medalists in the group.

Some notes
    Lynn & Logan. I feel for them. I thought they were good. They skated before Hubbell and Donahue. After they were done, I thought, finally, they are going to worlds.
    Then H/D took the ice and were captivating throughout. Thought it would be very close. But H/D had a lead from the SP, so I guess they deserved their 3rd place.
    The shibs were really fun. They were a league above 3rd and 4th place. Whoever said the Shibs skate like juniors must watch them back to back with seniors because no juniors skate like that. I was looking for evidence that the Shibs generate speed from no where, fast, and cover a lot of ice, but they were lacking in all front there.
    D/W were great. Finished right on the music. I thought they were slow and they should be the fastest ones out there. Maybe ice dancing is slow. Their twizzle covered about 40% of the rink, which is the longest of all pairs competing.

Thanks for the reports from the arena, FlattFan and reneerose.

Yes, distance covered is one of the GOE points with twizzles, and is one reason D&W's score high.

As to slow-D&W are usually blazing fast; from TV I got the impression that they were working on performance issues more than speed this time out.

Yeah it was a dumb question!

I'm not on Icenetwork. I read the newspapers for skating news.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Thanks for the reports from the arena, FlattFan and reneerose.

Yes, distance covered is one of the GOE points with twizzles, and is one reason D&W's score high.

As to slow-D&W are usually blazing fast; from TV I got the impression that they were working on performance issues more than speed this time out.
    Thanks, Doris. And thanks to reneerose and FlattFan for eyewitness reports. Through this season I've been so delighted with the "Die Fledermaus" program, and if D/W are working on it to improve it, that's even better. I'm almost hoping they revive this program for 2014, because it's so spectacular and evocative. I have a friend who's a middling-to-interested skate fan, and I e-mailed her the link to this program (the GP final version) because I thought that anyone who even knows what a skate looks like would be enchanted by it.

However Worlds turns out, we fans are going to get to see something amazing.

However, dancers are usually doing what would be level 4 step sequences for singles skaters. So the correct way, I would think, to compare the speed of singles skaters to dancers would be to compare the speed doing step sequences.

Custom Title
    Single and pair skaters gain speed by doing a dozen back crossovers (easy). It's the jumps that are hard. Dancers don't do back crossovers, they gain speed by pushing off the edge of the blade (hard). The deeper the edges, the faster they can go as there is less friction from the blade to the ice. If Davis & White covered 40% of the ice doing quick turns (twizzles) on one foot in a matter of a few seconds, I'd say that was fast. Don't know of any singles or pair teams in the world that can do that.

I don't know of any either

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast