Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Senior Free Dance at 3:00pm EST.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    LOL at Meryl Davis shutting down Andrea Joyce.
    What did she say?

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dots View Post
    What did she say?
    IIRC...

Andrea: So this is your 4th national title, do you guys feel in awe of that?
    Meryl: No, not at all. Because we were there. We worked hard every day to achieve this.

It was yet another awkward question from the frequently awkward Andrea. It was such a ridiculous emotion to ask about, awe, as if anybody could be so detached from their own success and effort. Meryl's answer cut right to the stupid of it.
    Last edited by Serious Business; 01-28-2012 at 06:03 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoates View Post
    Can we send all FIVE teams to Worlds please??? It's just not fair that we have to pick three. Kudos to C/B, K/G-S, and H/D for all bringing it today. Well done. After 30 years of watching ice dance, I never would have dreamed that the US would have this much crazy, wonderful depth. It's mind boggling. I love it.
    i know what you mean! I understand why the maximum is 3...but sometimes i wish the ISU just did it by qualifying scores...so you KNOW the best teams/skaters are up against each other regardless of how many there are/what country they represent.

Custom Title
    IIRC...

Andrea: So this is your 4th national title, do you guys feel in awe of that?
    Meryl: No, not at all. Because we were there. We worked hard every day to achieve this.

It was yet another awkward question from the frequently awkward Andrea. It was such a ridiculous emotion to ask about, awe, as if anybody could be so detached from their own success and effort. Meryl's answer cut right to the stupid of it.

lol! count on her to make a dumb question

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by icebeauty View Post
    i know what you mean! I understand why the maximum is 3...but sometimes i wish the ISU just did it by qualifying scores...so you KNOW the best teams/skaters are up against each other regardless of how many there are/what country they represent.
    Probably would not work. The already inflated National scores would go through the roof!! But Canada and the US could make a go at top 6 in the world.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Love that Lynn and Logan used one piece of music, no edits or medleys or other shenanigans. Let that be a lesson to other ice dancers: it's not that hard to find a piece of music with tempo changes.
    I'm so bummed that they didn't make the podium and Worlds.

Question: are D/W's blades really that much quieter than anyone else's or are the blade sounds on TV something the NBC sound people do, or don't, when they feel like it?
    Last edited by Spun Silver; 01-28-2012 at 06:27 PM.

Chock/Bates were underwhelming. I wonder if Evan ever thinks about his decision to leave Emily, considering he and Emily were prior medalists..

I wish K/G-S had got the bronze, although it was a hard call between them and H/D. I'm happy for H/D going to their first worlds, but I reallllly wanted K/G-S to go too. There was something a little 'heavier' about their dance though than H/D, maybe H/D had more speed? At least K/G-S moved up one spot from last year.

Of course, D/W and the Shibs were great as always, although I always find the Shibs a bit boring.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jan View Post
    Probably would not work. The already inflated National scores would go through the roof!! But Canada and the US could make a go at top 6 in the world.
    i was think qualifying scores from international events/ISU sanctioned events...EVERYONE knows nationals scores are inflated...
    but aside from ice dance, Japan has MORE than 3 top-level singles skaters in both ladies and men (technically so does the US if they could all just get it together)...Russia has the wonder-babies all 1-2 years away from age-eligibility, and they 4 competitive pairs teams...
    it's just that i hate that feeling during worlds when you wonder, what if *that/those* skater/s where at worlds...would the result have been different? I just think it's really tough/takes out the fun for us when world teams for countries with deep fields can only send 3...there's just a lot of what-ifs/i wish...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    I'm so bummed that they didn't make the podium and Worlds.

Question: are D/W's blades really that much quieter than anyone else's or are the blade sounds on TV something the NBC sound people do, or don't, when they feel like it?
    The microphones are placed on the ice for the entire broadcast and are not moved around at will during competition. Davis & White and the Shibs have deep edges ergo their blades are quiet.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by icebeauty View Post
    Just a suggestion, and I know nothing will ever come of it, but perhaps the ISU could use Euros and 4CC as qualifying events. Nationals would still count for something as a feeder to those events (and could perhaps send a larger roster of skaters from the top performing countries from the previous year or previous WC). Top scorers would automatically move on to Worlds. That or what about using a traveling team(s) of paid ISU judges to call all the various nationals. Those scores would be internationally valid, no arguing about inflation and could be used as qualifying scores for WC.

Custom Title
    results of the free dance (podium finish) http://thewrongedgefigureskatingblog...ree-dance.html

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    The microphones are placed on the ice for the entire broadcast and are not moved around at will during competition. Davis & White and the Shibs have deep edges ergo their blades are quiet.
    Thank you.
    Anyone else think Evan B has the same hair as Todd G?

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I was rather surprised by the NBC commentator's lack of awe over Meryl and Charlie. Yes, we know there are going to win, but compare their remarks to the way they GUSH over Michelle, Yu-na and Evan. You go girl to Meryl for her sharp answer to Andrea...when will they replace that woman? and it just seems awkward to bring up Tanith's relationship to Charlie at every moment.

Always supporting skaters :) 100yen's Avatar
    Great questions from the press at the conference after the FD! Kind of atypical and slightly risque questions that aren't really normal from a presser (eg. Question to Maia & Alex about when will they manage to catch up to Meryl and Charlie...asked with a little attitude).

Custom Title
    On of the reasons I enjoy Tracy is that she does not nearly as much as Scott or Uncle Dick. she's more even handed, which I think is just her natural personality. Tracy had done a remarkable job of being fair over the years when commentating on both V/M and D/W and even teams which she clearly does not prefer. You know in her heart she is really pulling for her countrymen, but she is not in your face about it. She has often gone out of her way to highlight Meryl and Charlie's strengths and improvements. I admire that. She did, however, make a point of saying during Canadians that she felt Tessa and Scott were under-appreciated at present and that their subtle nuances were overlooked and not always reflected in their scores. She made much the same point that Pogue and others here have made about their skating. Perhaps she feels more strongly about that than we know. On the other hand, given the virtual certainty of their win coming into the event, maybe Tracy just expected this level of performance and did not feel it necessary to comment more than she did.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast