Senior Free Dance at 3:00pm EST. | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Senior Free Dance at 3:00pm EST.

I'm so glad they showed some of the short dances and the free dances on TV. It was wonderful seeing everyone in the top five. Who would ever have thought that the U.S. would be so deep in ice dancing?

This is the first chance I've had to see D/W's short program. There's one amazing lift where he pulls her through his legs and lifts her right off the ground. Holy hat, that just about breaks the law of gravity. But it's the long program that really is one for the ages. From the first time I saw Die Fledermaus, I've been in love with it. The way they work with the quick changes of tempo in the music, now gliding, now flickering through moves, is inspired. I hope this program will remain in their repertoire, maybe as an exhibition piece, for years to come.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, so do I hope it will be "asked for" many times in the future, which is what Tracey said about it.

I love that they sprung the change in the ending of the SD as a complete surprise and didn't show it at practices (that lift you are talking about, Olympia). In the SD interview, when asked about it, Charlie said something like, for Latin, nothing is too much :love:

They've gotten very loose and funny in interviews. Someone asked them whether they talk during the program, and Charlie said something like oh yes, we talk: I ask Meryl has she read any books lately, and then after the twizzles I ask which Kelly Ripa cohost she prefers

:laugh:

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congratulations to Meryl & Charlie they are incredible athletes. Loved the changes that the Shibs made to their SD, much improved. Great skating from the top five, I really enjoyed it on my big screen HD TV., much more relaxing then watching on my computer. Looking forward to the ladies tonight.

Lissy

Medalist
I just got back from seeing the free dance at HP Pavillion and my goodness it was amazing.

Meryl and Charlie were in a league of their own. It was just magical. I just feel better about myself having seen them.

The Shibutanis were wonderful. I love that as siblings, they can still tell a story without making it creepy. I just cannot say a bad word about them.

I did not like Madison Hubbell Zachary Donohue at all. I thought their performance was way over the top and way too showy. The didn't get as big of a reaction from the crowd as a few other groups.

Logan and Lynn. Man. I am pissed they didn't get the bronze. They were a crowd favorite and they were amazing. I was able to go to both ice dance practices and they stood out big time. I expect great things from them.

Evan and Madison. Bleh. Didn't like them. For some reason, she has always rubbed me the wrong way. And one of my pet peeves is when hair comes undone by the end of the program and hers always does. A little hairspray goes a long way. They are very talented but there is a big of a disconnect from them. They just don't mesh well together.

Emily and Todd. Wow. I was incredibly impressed. They sizzled with the music and were again, a crowd favorite. The best part was to see how happy they were. It was genuine joy and excitement on their faces and it was refreshing. In practice, Emily surprised me more than any other skater. She never stopped smiling, clapping for other skaters, and embracing the moment. I've always liked her but now I love her. I don't think she and Todd quite fit together but it could work with more comfortability.

The only other group that really stood out to me was Anastasia Olson and Jordan Cowan. The crowd LOVED their performance and everybody in my section was cheering big time.

Lots of fun this week for me. Got to go to both ladies practices at Sharks Ice and both Ice Dance practices and 1 pairs practice. Wish nationals could be in San Jose every year!

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:)Well, that was thoroughly enjoyable..I was only a bit miffed that we didn't get to see two flights ( I wanted to see how Emily and Todd have progressed ).

I don't know , guys , I thought Tracey said some pretty nice things about Meryl and Charlie ( and well-deserved , too.) I loved how she pointed out how each of them comes to the fore at different parts of the music , according to their individual characteristics .. Meryl on the light, delicate bits and Charlie on the sweeping bits...:biggrin: It is a fabulous program for them.

I simply adore the Shibs..but I still think Latin is a tough sell for them . Just the luck of the draw , this year.

Thrilled for Madison and Zach. Camerlengo's rep gets another boost. I know it was pretty serendipitous that they meshed so well from the outset , and you can see they've put in the work..Still , Pasquale knew exactly what to do with them. Kudos all round... I must say though , I preferred the black t-shirt for Zach ... for this program.

Tough for Lynn and Logan ( loved this dress ). I like them very much , but can't say I would have preferred another outcome.I like their program, but thought they noticeably had to work it, today.

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
I gotta say it: I'm so, so thankful for COP, V/M, D/W, and Icenetwork, because together (with Goldenskate, and yes a few amazing other dance couples over the years), I've become a huge dance fan! I can't believe how exciting and wonderful it is (in the 90's, it was my least favorite and I totally didn't 'get it'). Now, I can't get enough and simply cannot get over all the depth in the US and elsewhere too. D/W were amazing in both phases of this comp. I can't wait to rewatch this more calmly. Also, I can't wait to hear or read some of these interviews you are talking about as I haven't yet...

Tex

On the Ice
I did not like Madison Hubbell Zachary Donohue at all. I thought their performance was way over the top and way too showy. The didn't get as big of a reaction from the crowd as a few other groups.

Logan and Lynn. Man. I am pissed they didn't get the bronze. They were a crowd favorite and they were amazing. I was able to go to both ice dance practices and they stood out big time. I expect great things from them.

Emily and Todd. Wow. I was incredibly impressed. They sizzled with the music and were again, a crowd favorite. The best part was to see how happy they were. It was genuine joy and excitement on their faces and it was refreshing. In practice, Emily surprised me more than any other skater. She never stopped smiling, clapping for other skaters, and embracing the moment. I've always liked her but now I love her. I don't think she and Todd quite fit together but it could work with more comfortability.

The only other group that really stood out to me was Anastasia Olson and Jordan Cowan. The crowd LOVED their performance and everybody in my section was cheering big time.

QUOTE]

Truly appreciate your updates and insight into the FD. Thanks!!!!

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I agree with Lissy and Tex. I am kind of disgusted that Logan and Lynn did not get the bronze. So far the most disappointing result of the competitions so far.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
colleen, so glad you got to see this on NBC!

I missed the first half hour because local TV covered the Tampa Gasparilla Pirate Parade :wuzrobbed:
Fortunately, that was the Ladies SP part of the show ;)

I was so surprised this morning to see a photo of Meryl and Charlie in the sports section of the Englewood Sun :eek: and a brief story about the SD!

Usually, the only skating news we get when we're in FL is about the FL pairs, especially Evora & Ladwig.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I would've preferred Logan and Lynn win the bronze, and don't really understand why Madison and Zach got it.

Anyway, as soon as L & L did their first straight line lift, I knew I wanted a great picture of that gorgeous, gorgeous move. And I didn't have to wait long for the news wires to deliver, here it is.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I would've preferred Logan and Lynn win the bronze, and don't really understand why Madison and Zach got it.

Anyway, as soon as L & L did their first straight line lift, I knew I wanted a great picture of that gorgeous, gorgeous move. And I didn't have to wait long for the news wires to deliver, here it is.

:jaw: That move is sublime! How do they get into it...and out of it?! Now to find a source for a workable video...

missysays

On the Ice

The only other group that really stood out to me was Anastasia Olson and Jordan Cowan. The crowd LOVED their performance and everybody in my section was cheering big time!

I got a chance to see the dance competition live as well and I felt exactly the same way about Emily and Todd. Their programs were good especially for having only been together for so short a time. But their chemistry isn't really there.

I couldn't take my eyes off Emily when I saw her in warm up sessions, right before competition, even in the concourse post competition. She seemed lit up with joy having the chance to be there.

But when she got on the ice somehow the combination of the two of them didn't really pop. He seemed muted and didn't give her anything to react to. Hopefully he'll learn to pick it up performance-wise.

One couple that were a natural match together were Olson and Cowan- so handsome together. All they need is more confidence on the technical components and they could be right up there.

So great to see in person so much of what is lost even with access to things like IN.

Last edited:
I was so surprised this morning to see a photo of Meryl and Charlie in the sports section of the Englewood Sun :eek: and a brief story about the SD![

Usually, the only skating news we get when we're in FL is about the FL pairs, especially Evora & Ladwig.

They got the front sports page headline in the Detroit Free Press, plus a full page on the inside with stories on the Detroit area dancers, Alissa Czisny, and Adam Rippon.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Thanks, doris ..me too ! ;)

The truth is , I'd have been very happy to see either K/GS or H/D take third.Lynn and Logan do have really beautiful lifts.

In my ice dance gluttony , I was thinking last night ..wouldn't it be wonderful if there was some way we could see the top 6-8 couples from the US and Canada all at once ? The paucity of slots for all that talent is depressing.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
My hope is for a revival of North American Challenge in Dance as a senior B, based in Detroit, or, failing that, an upgrade of Lake Placid IDC as a Senior B.

I'm thinking that the lure of getting those extra ISU points, plus early feedback, would lure all those wonderful teams based in Detroit and Ontario, not to mention the rest of the teams in the US & Canada, to compete in the summer!

I would so go to that :love:

Just think, all of teams who train in driving distance to Detroit
If you add the ones who train at Liberty it would be formidible indeed.

But I would hope Wing & Lowe's teams would try to compete there too...

missysays

On the Ice
One other comment about the FD yesterday...

The Shibs not only made those fantastic changes to the SD but also added performance nuances to the FD that really gave extra texture and oomph to the presentation of the entire program. And can I just say how wonderful Alex was- the little shake of the finger at Maia before they launched into the first steps- the adjusting of his tie and flicking of his suspenders at the tap dance section.

That's what you need to do to bring this FD alive and make it fresh. Loved what Alex said in the press conference about Igor's direction that at the time this music came out it was a game changer and added new life and zing to music at the time.

They should feel proud of how they dug deep and addressed all the critique from the beginning of this season.

verte76

On the Ice
There wasn't anything about this competion in the press or local anything, I hate missing ice dance competitions.:eek:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If you sign up for Icenetwork, they will have the whole competition "on demand" fairly soon, if not now.