Canada the only country to win Olympic Gold in all 4 disciplines | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Canada the only country to win Olympic Gold in all 4 disciplines

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
But it was fun going back in time to crown Kurt Browning The Great!

As well, where are the die hard fans of Plushenko, Takahashi, Hanyu, Weir, Lysacek, Jason Brown, etc. to contest the claim for Sochi Gold?

Oh, nobody wants the jinx?

jettasian

Match Penalty
^ It's the only thing that Chan's fans and his critics agree on. That so far, Patrick is the favorite for a gold medal in Sochi.

Yes, Chan could be a heavy favourite, but no Chan fans have and would crown him. And this thread is created by someone who had nothing but nasty comments about Chan, the intention is very clear.

I want to know why the moderator is okay with this.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I don't care and I'll post here. :) Why?

1) It usually works when you bless someone or send white light to protect them, especially when done with collective energy, as in a group prayer. Jinxes and curses, however, often backfire. See, you draw to yourself what you think most about. When you wish for bad things to happen to someone, you spend much mental energy focusing on those bad things which are then very likely to manifest in your own life. Since I doubt I can get Pangtongfan to be forthright about how often he falls down, here is the next reason why I have no concerns with his jinxes,

2) Unlike commentators and Blade of Passion who is the best unintentional jinxer in this forum, :biggrin: Pangtongfan is a terrible jinxer! The more "jump advantages" he gives Chan, the more Chan ups his winning spread to have those theoretical "jump advantages" without atually falling! He keeps proclaiming Chan's upcoming wins, and Chan keeps winning. :laugh: He keeps handing them out and Chan keeps taking them, thank you very much.

So, as a Chan supporter, I say, Bring it on. I welcome Pangtonfan's jinxes, the more outrageous the better. :biggrin:

jettasian

Match Penalty
I have no problem with people disliking Chan, as I have my dislikes as well. But I don't go out spread accusations about the skaters I dislike. I'm just sick of reading Chan hater's remarks such as "Chan's judges' pet" or "Judges have agenda" or "Chan has 3 falls cushions" or "Chan will still win with 10 falls", among other things. Those baseless accusations need to be stopped. I want to know from the moderators why all those are okay.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Agreed. So the question is - do we take it away from Petrenko or from Urmanov? I would love it if Casablanca was an Olympic Gold LP. While we're at it, can we give Usova/Zhulin the gold too?!?!? Pretty please.....

For that lame cheesy "I hate my cheating husband so lets do a cheesetastic attempt at humouress corny romance on ice" Nina Rota number in 94 which otherwise should have been there year. No way. I would love to give them the gold for 92 except that unfortunately no way can Klimova & Ponomarenko's Bolero rivalling stunning FD that year be denied.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
2) Unlike commentators and Blade of Passion who is the best unintentional jinxer in this forum, :biggrin: Pangtongfan is a terrible jinxer! The more "jump advantages" he gives Chan, the more Chan ups his winning spread to have those theoretical "jump advantages" without atually falling! He keeps proclaiming Chan's upcoming wins, and Chan keeps winning. :laugh: He keeps handing them out and Chan keeps taking them, thank you very much.

Who says I even try to jinx. I like to be right more than anything else, regardless if I like the skater or not, and as on most things I always am right, while those who disagreed with me were once again wrong. My so called comical advantages and guarantees awarded Chan in fact turn out to be not even slight exagerrations but perfectly accurate and in line with the points, something that I called years before others less wise could see. Of course in the particular case of Chan if I am wrong it is also great, so it is a win-win for me.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Come on guys you might jinx Patrick with all this pre-crowning, unless.... that's the whole point of the thread! To send a super jinx to Patrick for 2014! :laugh:
I don't think Pangtonfan or anyone believes that jinxing is possible. I hope no poster here is actually superstitious. There is no such thing as a lucky green shirt or a wonderful key chain to help the Patriots win the Superbowl. But it is scary how many people I know of who actually think they need to wear a certain cap. I do fear that there might be people whether due to youth or maybe culture actually believe you could jinx Patrick. It is not mean spirited to observe that he is 1) great 2) heavily favored by judges3) scores well, really well even when he falls, makes mistakes. One is simply observing reality. Now some may not feel he is a great skater, but that would be a very rare fs fan. That is my opinion, not an objective fact. 2 and 3 are facts.

I really enjoy Patrick a lot, especially when he is clean. That being said, I don't like to see unfair judging, but it happens a lot, always has, always will, even tho CoP has tried hard to assign values to every movement made.

Anyone even casually observing IJS sees its flaws. It is a work in progress and there are a multitude of threads on this as we all know. I really get sick of ubers of any fan calling regular fans haterz of skater x. I personally would put big money he will win the next two Worlds and take gold in Sochi unless he is sidelined with injury. Everything is in his favor. Where is the mean spirit in that? He is the only skater that gets huge scores when he makes huge errors. I know why, I have read all the threads telling why he deserves to win, where he pulls the points from. Remember, another poster may simply prefer Dai. How can you interpret that as "mean spirited?" This Dai -Chan thing is a lesser version of the animosity between Mao-Yuna fans. Lucky me, I like them both and always have. Some people feel there was score inflation at the Olympics given what Mao did.

The older you get, the more you will have many favorite skaters, and it is likely that nationality and ethnicity will go by the boards. What I find interesting is that some people cannot be oubjective when emotion, nationality or some strong feeling comes in. I am American, and I admit we have no ladies skaters who are WC material right now. They all lack confidence, save A Wagner. I enjoy Dai for Dai and Patrick for Patrick. If you decide to open your eyes, you will have many favorite skaters.

I wonder what score Chan will post at worlds given inflationary numbers at the biggest event of the season? Any guesses? (Wish the winner got a free trip to 2013 worlds, lol)

... and as on most things I always am right, while those who disagreed with me were once again wrong.

Actually, over the years, pangtongfan has been right an annoyingly large percentage of the time -- often with the emphasis on "annoying." :laugh:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Yes, Chan could be a heavy favourite, but no Chan fans have and would crown him. And this thread is created by someone who had nothing but nasty comments about Chan, the intention is very clear.

Very true!

Who says I even try to jinx. I like to be right more than anything else, regardless if I like the skater or not, and as on most things I always am right, while those who disagreed with me were once again wrong. My so called comical advantages and guarantees awarded Chan in fact turn out to be not even slight exagerrations but perfectly accurate and in line with the points, something that I called years before others less wise could see. Of course in the particular case of Chan if I am wrong it is also great, so it is a win-win for me.

See! People who are against pangtongfan's intention on opening this thread were so right!

Honestly, I think pangtongfan is a harmless character. He/she was taken a little seriously a couple years ago, but now It's getting tiredsome. So, rarely anyone responded to his/her increased number of fall "predictions". Life went on as beautifully as it should be.

Plushenko has many "enemies". He has probably gotten the most jinx than any other skaters. But he is still skating and continuing his legendary quest. Where are those Plushenko haters who had firmly occupied this board a couple years ago?! Gone!:laugh:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Plushenko is a figure skater, not a Russian politician. He may have detractors and non-fans but "enemies"? I do not think you correctly understand that word. It may be English is your second language. Plush has other skaters who are jealous, or don't like his style, or feel he is over rated. Jaime Sale is an outspoken critic esp at Vancouver, but he is well liked, well known in skating. he has rivals, which does not mean enemy. That is too strong a word and likely not correct usage. And if You are not a native English speaker, you do darn well! So no criticism intended, just clarification.:)

The reason Plush's detractors have been less vocal is a) he was retired so they don't post much unless he is their big fave of all time ( Like nadine/Seniorita). Another reason is his detractors saw him get Silver in Salt lake, Gold in Torino, Silver in Vancouver and he just won Russian Nationals and Europeans. At 29, after scads of surgeries, he is still in to skate, to perform and to medal.

He knows he is not going to outskate a healthy Chan or Hanyu or even maybe Gachinski in 2014. He may not make the team. I was not always his biggest fan, but my awe grows. Can you name another male skater with his record who is still skating for whatever reasons. He is the Ali of skating. He will be thrilled if he skates well in Sochi, and he has said he'd be happy to have bronze. This is a true competitor, and even though I can name skaters whose skating I preferred then and now, I think he has earned great respect because he works so hard. His longevity from 6.0 to CoP and Olympic titles earned will likely never be matched. That is just Oly record. Then all the rest. He actually has done better than I ever expected. I enjoy his skating still, the jumps, the passion, the Russian champion persona. Imagine if he actually medals at Sochi with a fairly judged skate? It will be all about Evgeni. He has shut up his critics with his love of skating and willingness to give his body and soul for his legacy. Who is his peer in this? No one I can think of to date.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Plushenko is a figure skater, not a Russian politician. He may have detractors and non-fans but "enemies"? I do not think you correctly understand that word. It may be English is your second language.

I'm wondering how much you know about Plushenko?! I bet very little! That was the exact word he used in his interview!:rolleye: That was why I quoted the word with " "! sheesh!

Last edited:

jettasian

Match Penalty
I wonder what score Chan will post at worlds given inflationary numbers at the biggest event of the season? Any guesses? (Wish the winner got a free trip to 2013 worlds, lol)

You see, that's the problem. So you think the judges will only inflate for Chan, but nobody else?

Honestly, I think pangtongfan is a harmless character. He/she was taken a little seriously a couple years ago, but now It's getting tiredsome. So, rarely anyone responded to his/her increased number of fall "predictions". Life went on as beautifully as it should be.
I really don't care whether s/he's harmless or a troll, it's insulting and disrespectful to all skaters.

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I'm wondering how much you know about Plushenko?! I bet very little! That was the exact word he used in his interview!:rolleye: That was why I quoted the word with " "! sheesh!

remember, English is Evgeni's second language or third or forth-he may not get the difference, you three ubers need to chill. I SAID INFLATIONARY SCORES IN GENERAL AT WORLDS usually happens at this event and Oly's. Everyone will likely get "season's best." Not just PC. The op is being funny about the point spread. Someetimes people use humor to make a point, but it is not worth getting people censored for their opinion. I think it is a cultural thing. In the west, "disrespect" is far different than in the east. Please keep in mind there are people from many cultures/ages here and you will get a plurality of opinion. That is what makes the internet special, and many are trying to preserve the freedoms.

Even if someone patiently makes a point, there are 3 posters that get all upset when the overscoring of Chan gets mentioned. Why? BECAUSE ITS THE TRUTH. You 3 want censorship of pangtongfan or anyone who says anything about your idol or disagrees. We do not want censorship of opinions on a skating board. If you don't like a thread, comment or poster, too bad. You can ignore or say kindly, "You have a right to your opinion." Why is it you take this so so seriously? It is a sport, and Patrick is winning regardless. You should be really happy. Remeber if someone prefers Dai, or Hanyu or Evgeni, it is good to learn why. You get smarter that way. Its is sad we can't even make a joke at the situation of skating scores inflation. I can imagine no discussion of very serious worldly matters can be discussed. is it disrespectful to roll your eyes at me, say i know nothing about Evgeni and ask that i and others be censored or shut down the thread? I am glad you are not diplomats. Imagine if we handled N. Korea like this or iran. We would have world War 3 alreadr. Figureskating is a sport we discuss. And unless you are patrick's mother, you should not take everything so personally.

Anonymity on the net is a two edged sword, good and bad. Please don't ask for censorship, we have that everywhere in the world, and it may be very shortly before we see the US Govt take control of the internet the way many repressive regimes have done in Arab countries. I may not agree with what you say, but I feel your right to express your opinion in speech or in print is a freedom we Americans feel is worth dying for. So in all things great and small, unless there is bad language or some such infraction, always preserve everyone's right to say their opinion.

Fairness in judging matters to me in my favorite sport very much, and if you took an anonymous poll about the overscoring of certain skaters, I think you will find it bothers a great many. People just don't wanna argue with uber-ubers!

More impt than that is free speech. You have a fan thread one of you asked for where no dissenting opinionss of PC are allowed. How much control over this board and people's thoughts are you entitled to? Think about it. Respectfully, Skateluvr, a fan of Chan but moreso of fair judging and free speech!

Many in my city get arested for peaceful demonstrations. So never ask for the smallest censorship...it grows into a monster.

If we can't express our opinions freely, courteously, we have no other rights.

Internet freedom/control is a huge issue and the people fighting for freedom have many powerful "enemies" here in America in the truest sense of the word. If you have an 'enemy" here or think you do, here is a tip. be nice to tht person, bless them and say. you have a right to your opinion and smile at the. Your "enemy' will likely become your freind. Try it.:)

Jinxes are superstition. They do not exist. Black magic does invite evil into someone's life and there are real cases of exorcism of possessed souls in the Vatican Archives. But us wishing skater x well (or not) does not affect reality. I'd be interested to know the backgrounds (religious/ethnic) of people who believe in jinxes and want censorship of opinions. Mathman uses humor to moderate threads, there is no reason to delete, alter or close threads unless some grave ignorance of guidelines is present.

The internet is the last bastion of free speech, where we exercise our first amendment right. Evgeni is a minor politician, if you want to use that word. He is a figure skater, and well connected because he is a star. Name one skating enemy. He has rivals, not "enemies." I have red a lot about him, watched him for years and my opinion changes over time. i have only seen him skate live once and got to say hello. He has a lot of warmth like many Russian people I have met. If he has "enemies" he might think of some people in his federation who maybe don't support his comebacks. Who knows what goes on in skating federations? But I do know lots of skaters like him, including Evan, despite his momentary 'bad' behavior when he did not get gold. I do know many Russians, and wish I understood the culture.

It is pretty funny that Pangtongfan can get the goats of the same folks. Maybe he is having fun at your expense, but I think you won't succeed at getting mods to censor opinions or facts that they see as true.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
If you'd like to work up your temper through what I've said. That's your problem!

It was you who wanted to take control and censor my writing. Yes, Plushenko is a non-English speaker. But you, a true English speaker as you labeled yourself, have never understood the playful tone of his when he said so and when I wrote it. What a pity! Your right on freedom of speech is same as mine. I've never said to exclude pangtongfan. Please go back to read my previous post again before you lay so many charges on me!:rolleye:

Last edited:

jettasian

Match Penalty
Even if someone patiently makes a point, there are 3 posters that get all upset when the overscoring of Chan gets mentioned. Why? BECAUSE ITS THE TRUTH. You 3 want censorship of pangtongfan or anyone who says anything about your idol or disagrees. We do not want censorship of opinions on a skating board. If you don't like a thread, comment or poster, too bad. You can ignore or say kindly, "You have a right to your opinion." Why is it you take this so so seriously? It is a sport, and Patrick is winning regardless. You should be really happy. Remeber if someone prefers Dai, or Hanyu or Evgeni, it is good to learn why. You get smarter that way. Its is sad we can't even make a joke at the situation of skating scores inflation. I can imagine no discussion of very serious worldly matters can be discussed. is it disrespectful to roll your eyes at me, say i know nothing about Evgeni and ask that i and others be censored or shut down the thread? I am glad you are not diplomats. Imagine if we handled N. Korea like this or iran. We would have world War 3 alreadr. Figureskating is a sport we discuss. And unless you are patrick's mother, you should not take everything so personally.
More impt than that is free speech. You have a fan thread one of you asked for where no dissenting opinionss of PC are allowed. How much control over this board and people's thoughts are you entitled to? Think about it. Respectfully, Skateluvr, a fan of Chan but moreso of fair judging and free speech!

It is pretty funny that Pangtongfan can get the goats of the same folks. Maybe he is having fun at your expense, but I think you won't succeed at getting mods to censor opinions or facts that they see as true.

I'm replying especially to the bold parts.

What do you mean it is the truth? About what? Chan overscoring? Again, it has been a heated debate about it, but not sure how you can conclude that it's the truth? You may think he's overscored, I think he wasn't, so it is the truth about what?

I have no problem for them not liking "my idol". But I do have problem for them, in this case, Pangtongfan, keep spreading words that Chan's winning Worlds and Olympics. Those are disrespectful and insulting to Chan and ALL other skaters. There's NO MERIT so whatever s/he said except spreading ridiculous assumptions.

I also have problem with people ALREADY conclude that Chan will win with 10 falls, or the judges have hidden agendas etc. Those are baseless accusations. Sure, they have the free speech to spread whatever lies. I also have my free speech to counter those lies and accusations.

You call yourself a fair judging, yet, you said Patrick is winning regardless. You also said in other post about wondering how much judges will inflate the marks for Chan at world. You are just like Pangtongfan, making assumption without any merits. Calling yourself a fair judge is a joke.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
What is implicit in all Pangtongfan's declarations about Patrick Chan's winning, including a thread about an event two years away, is that all his wins are fixed. And skatelurv unequivocally and repeatedly states as a "truth" that Chan is always overscored. How are these baseless unsubstantiable accusations not disrespectful to Chan the World Champion of the sport we all supposedly love, to the trained and devoted judges, and indeed to all competing skaters who all should doubt their own success in this totally corrupted system? How are these slandering assertions not disrespectful and insulting in any culture?

ciocio

On the Ice