Canada the only country to win Olympic Gold in all 4 disciplines | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Canada the only country to win Olympic Gold in all 4 disciplines

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Agreed. So the question is - do we take it away from Petrenko or from Urmanov? I would love it if Casablanca was an Olympic Gold LP. While we're at it, can we give Usova/Zhulin the gold too?!?!? Pretty please.....

Or Boitano... because, you know, Orser needed more "humiliation" in 1988 in Calgary (considering Kurt was supposed to be his replacement after retirement and all)

but I wouldn't mind him getting it in 1994... he was definitely his best artistically by then, IMO, for his competitive career... :love:

spikydurian

Medalist
Ouch .. too long to read for an ADS person like me. Gee... why is 'free speech' coming into play in skating forums?

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
definitely take urmanovs-hated his everything. petrenko was better, great pro and humanitarian.

Does Olympic crown a pro and humanitarian?

There was no way that Stojko could have won over Urmanovs. So forget about it! I love Urmanovs' Olympic winning skate!

Kurt and Michelle have already gotton the Olympic gold medal from their fans all over the world!:thumbsup:

spikydurian

Medalist
The reason Plush's detractors have been less vocal is a) he was retired so they don't post much unless he is their big fave of all time ( Like nadine/Seniorita).

He knows he is not going to outskate a healthy Chan or Hanyu or even maybe Gachinski in 2014. He may not make the team. I was not always his biggest fan, but my awe grows. Can you name another male skater with his record who is still skating for whatever reasons. He is the Ali of skating. He will be thrilled if he skates well in Sochi, and he has said he'd be happy to have bronze. This is a true competitor, and even though I can name skaters whose skating I preferred then and now, I think he has earned great respect because he works so hard. His longevity from 6.0 to CoP and Olympic titles earned will likely never be matched. That is just Oly record. Then all the rest. He actually has done better than I ever expected. I enjoy his skating still, the jumps, the passion, the Russian champion persona. Imagine if he actually medals at Sochi with a fairly judged skate? It will be all about Evgeni. He has shut up his critics with his love of skating and willingness to give his body and soul for his legacy. Who is his peer in this? No one I can think of to date.
Oh..his fans are still active especially on Youtube. Just read the fanatical insults they throw at Patrick and Evan (when Evan 'stole' King Plusheko's gold). Eh, I enjoy Plushenko's skating but not the insults his fans threw at others.
Yes I agree I respect his ability to keep on skating for this long. Indeed he gave his body and soul to figure skating. That is his choice.... not others. Maybe this is the only thing he knows he can get admiration afterall he didn't make it as a politician. No insult meant.. just fact.
Oh yes.. Ali of skating. Yeah a legend but not sure whether others prefer an ending like his .. what is life without a healthy body and mind.

What is implicit in all Pangtongfan's declarations about Patrick Chan's winning, including a thread about an event two years away, is that all his wins are fixed. And skatelurv unequivocally and repeatedly states as a "truth" that Chan is always overscored.

People often overstate their positions in the heat of argument. But I think there is a different way of looking at it.

(a) Judges like Chan's skating.

(b) They give him high marks for it.

(c) The IJS is structured in such a way that it is possible for a skater to win even with a fall or two.

I do not think it is disrespectful to offer the opinion that Patrick is way ahead of anyone else and (insofar as we can predict the future) is the current front-runner leading up to the next Olympics. I also think it is a legitimate view (as is the view to the contrary) that the international judges are so smitten with Patrick's skating that they tend to discount his mistakes more than for skaters of lesser talent and reputation. (Hey, look at all those 6.0s that Michelle got, when she deserved only a 5.9 :). )

That is a far cry from charging that Skate Canada officials are bribing judges and making nefarious back room deals. (We have come to expect a certain amount of lobbying and cheerleading.)

If you read what skateluvr actually said, it was

skateluvr said:
I wonder what score Chan will post at worlds given inflationary numbers at the biggest event of the season?

Scores seem to be inflated across the board at Worlds. I suppose it it because the ISU wants to show the world how wonderful their champions are. Worlds being the last event of the year, there is nothing to save the record scores for. Skateluvr is saying that everybody gets higher scores at Worlds. If Patrick skates 290, at Worlds he will get 300.

Is Patrick picked on more than other skaters? Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown. ;)

As for pangandtongfan, he likes to state his views in a challenging and provocative way. *shrugs* OK.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This assumes that the gold medal awarded to S and P in 2002 is considered legitimate.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
This assumes that the gold medal awarded to S and P in 2002 is considered legitimate.

Of course, it was legitimate!

However, personally, I'd rather ISU left it alone and didn't do such eye-popping extreme thing. I thought it was over. S and P thought it was over. Many thought it was over despite the complains. Then they were exchanged to gold from silver. ISU blew up the scandal bigger than it has been. JMO.

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Canada already had a gold medal in pairs before Sale & Pelletier, the great Wagner & Paul in 1960. Sale & Pelletier farcial media gifted gift is the gold that rightfully should have gone to Dafoe & Bowden who were truly robbed in 1956, not just artifically so like the overrated Sale & Pelletier who were in fact gifted numerous titles in their career. All that said I was glad in a sense they were given their farce double gold, as unfair as that was to the exquisite and many times screwed over by the S&P hype machine from 2000-2002 Elena and Anton. It meant they got the heck out of Olympic style competition and I didnt have to watch Love Story for the 1000th time *gag me already*. Although watching them get their butt kicked by Shen & Zhou and Totmianina & Marinin under COP where the 10-15 point gap they would regularly give up with Jamies comical solo jumps, would have been fun as well.

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
So many countries with a gold medal in all but one discipline:

Russia
Canada
Germany
GBR
Austria

Then those with golds in two disciplines:

USA
Sweden
Ukraine (is it OK to count Petrenko's 92 win as Ukraine?)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
So many countries with a gold medal in all but one discipline:

Russia
Germany
GBR
Austria

Then those with golds in two disciplines:

USA
Sweden
Ukraine (is it OK to count Petrenko's 92 win as Ukraine?)

Thanks, that is is what I was curious about. So of those countries you listed it looks like Russia could join Canada and become the 2nd contender to have won Olympic Gold in all 4 disciplines in 2014. They do have a chance at ladies gold in Sochi.

I believe Germany is missing the dance gold which will never happen in Sochi. I believe for Austria it is also dance gold, which likewise will never happen in Sochi. Great Britian's missing gold is in pairs which will probably never happen as they dont even seem to bother try developing half decent pairs ever, even during their tour de force days.

U.S could add a dance gold which would put them 3/4s of the way there. The pairs gold seems a long way off, wont happen in Sochi, that is for sure.

Sweden has gold in ladies and mens right? Anyway they at present time are not a force.

Ukraine does not seem to be developing any top skaters at the moment, and never produced ones that came close to the top in pairs and dance.

I believe France has pairs and dance gold, but not ladies or men. They have some good men but are a long way from building an Olympic Champion as Joubert's time has clearly passed and Amodio is not going to attain such heights. Their womens program seems to be a disaester for now.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Not quite:

The Ukrainian dance team of Grushina & Goncharov were 3rd in 2006 at the Olympics!

and right now there are some talented Ukrainian junior dancers.

Oddly enough, the current European champion Volosozhar is Ukrainian, as is last year's World champion Savchenko. Both competed for Ukraine with Stanislaus Morozov. V&M's highest world finish was 6th, and they have finished 4th at Euros and at the GPF. All of Savchenko's senior medals were with Szolkowy, but she won the World Junior Championship with Morosov.

So Ukraine has a program-what it doesn't have is enough quality facilities at this point. And even so, it has produced talented pairs and dancers.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I would like to see the Ukranians come back as a force. They produced some of my favorite skaters, both those who reached the top and those who didnt.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
And thank you Mathman for clarifying, and reiterating what I said. It doesn't pay to argue with the young uber-ubers. It seems constant offense is taken but we will see a few skaters over scored in Nice, maybe more than a few with Caro and Chan racking up big scores. I do expect them to win...I just really would like to see fair judging. The inflationary scoring just makes slating seem too subjective, thus destroying credibility.

However favored these two may be, there could be an upset. As always, may the best skating of the night take the prize.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I find Kostner's scores just fine. Heck she was probably robbed bigtime at Skate America where Czisny crashed and made major errors and still beat her, including having higher PCS (and higher marks for skating skills, what a joke). She is capatilizing on the scoring system, her strengths, and the less than stellar ladies field since the Games. She cant be compared to Chan, she is nowhere near the frontrunner as he is, and she certainly doesnt have a many fall cushion over the field as he does. Skate America even suggests if everyone skates clean she would probably not win even vs the current crop. She has a good shot to win Worlds this year, and she had better do it as this is the last year she can hope to win without the lutz. I hope she does as if even the ghastly Miki Ando can win Worlds twice, then Kostner certainly deserves atleast one. If she is serious about going for 2014 she best have the off season surgery.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
What surgery is Caro having? I agree she is not really as favored far and away with fall cushion that Chan enjoys for his superior speed, SS. I just think its her year and the judges may hold her up. SA is not surprising, as lkissa has home judges advantage. I agree Caro was better that night and has been sparkling at every meet.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Well she probably isnt having the surgery, but she has a lingering injury which she probably wont be able to do the triple lutz again unless/until she has surgery.

seniorita

Record Breaker
The reason Plush's detractors have been less vocal is a) he was retired so they don't post much unless he is their big fave of all time ( Like nadine/Seniorita).

Oi, I posted about Evgeni once he competed at RN and saw him back, I know that because before I really had nothing to say. :)

He has used the word enemy quite a few times but it is in the context of rivals, so I wouldnt be that upset.

Oh how I wish I had attent an event live where they both competed, the warm up looks so tense!!!! But videos like this make me feel like I m watching fs since ever.

Maybe this is the only thing he knows he can get admiration afterall he didn't make it as a politician. No insult meant.. just fact.

So anyone who doesnt succeed in politics he comes back in competitions? Thats very..simplified. He could have stayed on tv, he did a tone of hosting shows etc. Or just skate in shows or his show. Japan/China/Korea could pretty much adopt him at this point.
I didnt know there was a youtube war ala Yuna/Mao 2009 but I have yet to meet such a fanatic for any skaters, and I m glad I didnt know about it.

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Well she probably isnt having the surgery, but she has a lingering injury which she probably wont be able to do the triple lutz again unless/until she has surgery.

I'm not sure where you are getting your information from, but Carolina doesn't have any physical problem landing triple lutzes, she landed several beautiful ones in practice all week in Sheffield, and she landed (but stepped out of) a big fully rotated one in the 6min warm up prior to her LP. She may not include one in the LP but she certainly has no physical problem stopping her landing them in practice and training.

And you're all crazy, clearly what is going to happen in the run up to Sochi is Kevin VDP and Jenna McKorkell will start skating pairs representing GBR and suddnely find that performing together while in love will blow the rest of the field away. With their SBS triple lutzes and flips, and the unprecdented change in rules allowing Jenna to throw Kevin, with a throw 3A and throw 4T, Jenna and Kevin will be crowned the Olympic champions in Sochi. Better though is the fact the pairs competition will be decided first so GBR will be the first country to have Olympic gold in all four disciplines, Canada and Russia can fight for 2nd and 3rd :laugh:

Last edited: