Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast

Thread: Senior Ladies Free Skate at 7:00 pm EST.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    Mirai...oh dear. I think the first thing someone needs to do is have Frank write 1000 times on a blackboard, Mirai is not Michelle Kwan. Mirai is not Michelle Kwan. That music just screamed Michelle Kwan to me. And it simply doesn't fit Mirai's personality. In fact, as much as I think Frank is a wonderful coach, I think Mirai should seriously consider asking Mr Nicks if there is room for her. It's the Bela Karoli trick: pit two top prospects (in this case, Mirai and Ashley) in practice on a daily basis, and let their competitive spirit take over, so that they push each other on a daily basis. It's certainly done wonders for Jeremy Abbot and Adam Rippon this season...
    It'd be sad that Mirai would have to encroach on Ashley's territory (ie. working with Nicks) just to get some motivation out of her. I just don't think she wants it bad enough. Call Ashley cocky or overconfident, but at least she knows what she wants and attacks for it. Ashley made visible changes to her skating and now she's reaping the rewards for the hard work she's put in. I've never heard Mirai say anything but "I want to be the best"... It's easy enough to say that but her actions have never reflected that statement. We get the same stories we've been getting since she was 15 about how she's lazy and lacks the motivation to practice and that she's emotional or she let's the negative voices get in...I'm sick of the excuses at this point.

I think it's a shame that the only time she seems motivated to skate is when Evan Lysacek is skating on the ice with her. That's pathetic. :sheesh: Why is it so hard for her to motivate herself? The reason Evan is a world and Olympic champion and the reason Michelle Kwan is the legend she is is because they worked for it. Frank didn't have to kick them in the @$$ to get them to work. Michelle and Evan did it because they loved the sport and they wanted to be the best, thus they put the work in.

I know I'm being really hard on her, but I'm SO frustrated with Mirai!! God, why can't she get her sh*t together?! It's so upsetting because for the past two years I've rooted so hard for her and damn near every time she's let us (the fans) down. It's sad really. I think her time with Frank has passed. She's stagnant at this point which means it's time to move on. He's tried his hardest but Mirai hasn't improved much...she's actually regressed a bit, especially when you look at what she did in 2010 to where she is now. That light that she had has gone out...the energy and excitement is completely gone. She looks nothing short of depressed whenever she skates now...I just keep thinking back to that girl I saw just two years ago and it breaks my heart that someone so promising can't seem to pull herself together. She needs to make some changes next season. I never thought I'd say it, but she needs to leave Frank and train elsewhere. Maybe with Rafael, whom she seems to like. She needs to find a different choreographer. Lori just ain't cutting it for her. Mirai excels with upbeat energetic music, something that compliments her personality. Her programs this year were too far of a departure from who she is and it's obvious she wasn't really feeling either of them. She was never comfortable being "sexy" in her SP and that LP was a boring disaster that stifled her personality to the point that she was complete void whenever she skated it.

Something needs to change for this girl and it needs to change now if she's shooting for a trip to Soichi because right now it's not looking good for her at all.

take off the oven mitts
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    It'd be sad that Mirai would have to encroach on Ashley's territory (ie. working with Nicks) just to get some motivation out of her. I just don't think she wants it bad enough. Call Ashley cocky or overconfident, but at least she knows what she wants and attacks for it. Ashley made visible changes to her skating and now she's reaping the rewards for the hard work she's put in. I've never heard Mirai say anything but "I want to be the best"... It's easy enough to say that but her actions have never reflected that statement. We get the same stories we've been getting since she was 15 about how she's lazy and lacks the motivation to practice and that she's emotional or she let's the negative voices get in...I'm sick of the excuses at this point.

I think it's a shame that the only time she seems motivated to skate is when Evan Lysacek is skating on the ice with her. That's pathetic. :sheesh: Why is it so hard for her to motivate herself? The reason Evan is a world and Olympic champion and the reason Michelle Kwan is the legend she is is because they worked for it. Frank didn't have to kick them in the @$$ to get them to work. Michelle and Evan did it because they loved the sport and they wanted to be the best, thus they put the work in.

I know I'm being really hard on her, but I'm SO frustrated with Mirai!! God, why can't she get her sh*t together?! It's so upsetting because for the past two years I've rooted so hard for her and damn near every time she's let us (the fans) down. It's sad really. I think her time with Frank has passed. She's stagnant at this point which means it's time to move on. He's tried his hardest but Mirai hasn't improved much...she's actually regressed a bit, especially when you look at what she did in 2010 to where she is now. That light that she had has gone out...the energy and excitement is completely gone. She looks nothing short of depressed whenever she skates now...I just keep thinking back to that girl I saw just two years ago and it breaks my heart that someone so promising can't seem to pull herself together. She needs to make some changes next season. I never thought I'd say it, but she needs to leave Frank and train elsewhere. Maybe with Rafael, whom she seems to like. She needs to find a different choreographer. Lori just ain't cutting it for her. Mirai excels with upbeat energetic music, something that compliments her personality. Her programs this year were too far of a departure from who she is and it's obvious she wasn't really feeling either of them. She was never comfortable being "sexy" in her SP and that LP was a boring disaster that stifled her personality to the point that she was complete void whenever she skated it.

Something needs to change for this girl and it needs to change now if she's shooting for a trip to Soichi because right now it's not looking good for her at all.
    well, for a time (and for the most important time) brian orser made YNK a happy (or at least happier) skater. he's done wonders for elene G as well. is christina going to harvard or deferring to skate with brian as her coach? even if brian could make mirai happier skating, so that she would find other reasons to work at it beside the type-A relentless drive to be the absolute best, would he take her with christina gao already his student?

i understand where you're coming from, but i will wait til the moment mirai finds it. she's got something that keeps me watching.

ETA: re weakankles (sp?) comment--i find ashley's staccato arm movements during the spiral a detraction from the rest of her program as well. i'm glad i wasn't the only person to think this
    Last edited by skfan; 01-29-2012 at 01:46 AM.

Custom Title
    I agree with one of the posters about how Sandra was being a bit harsh about Mirai. Whenever Alissa would bomb her jumps a couple of years back the commentators always found something positive to say about her like her spins are beautiful, she's a beautiful skater if only she could put it together. It sounded like Sandra was angry and frustrated at Mirai.

On another note why are the ladies having problems with the 2A, Christina, Caroline, Alissa. Caroline's performance really made me smile. She fought through the whole thing. If she could fix the lutz it would be even more amazing. It reminds me of Asada's comeback story. The two worked so hard to fix their technique issues. For Agnes I wouldn't call her program after the fall on the lutz a melt down. Compared to what she did on the GP circuit this was quite good.
    Last edited by FTnoona; 01-29-2012 at 02:20 AM.

Custom Title
    Sandra may be harsh with Mirai, but her comments reflect many of our frustrations with her. Commentators find nice things to say about Alyssa because even when she bombs, and I felt like she bombed tonight, her spins are among the best in the world and she doesn't let the performance go. While I'm tired of Alyssa always making the world team even when she bombs, at least she tries from beginning to end. So many of these skaters look ready to run off the ice halfway through their error-filled programs.

Shoe Diva

Couldn't agree more... right down to needs to move on from Frank and perhaps to Rafael...

Custom Title
    Holy Cow just logged on after watching it on NBC here on the West Coast and am shocked to see 26 Pages, yegods!

Will read this loooooooooooong thread after I post my immediate thoughts on what I just saw for the last 2 hrs:

Rachael Flatt ~ this is what I meant when I said one has to see her skate live, as I did in 2010 at Skate America, she lights up the crowd like a firefly, like nobody else! FlattFan, I envy you, I truly do. Only you in the crowd know what it's truly like to see her skate live (not surprised with the SO, she got one too at 2010 SA). Btw, I was overcome with awe upon seeing that spectacular outfit she wore, like a nestful of colorful feathers. Oh, Rach, if you really want it, and I mean *want it*, as in capturing a medal at Worlds (& maybe even the Olympics) you just need to overhaul your body and get buff like Joannie Rochette because you have everything you need to not only be #1 in the USA, but also the World. But if you're satisfied with what you have now, and that seems to be the case, as evidenced by what the commentators said (i.e. "I've realized all my dreams, and now I'm just here to have fun", then I wish you well. It truly was a joy to watch you skate.

Christina Gao ~ nice solid skate, you should be proud of yourself, but I think you can do even better with a better vehicle to display your talents. Jmho.

Mirai Nagasu ~ what can I say that hasn't already been said? Neither one of your programs this year showed off your many talents, one of which is your gamine smile and joie de vivre, hopefully you too get the perfect vehicle(s) to show off your many talents as well next year. To be honest the whole time you were skating I kept seeing one of my all-time favorites, Oksana Baiul, as you remind me of her during her professional career. :(

Caroline Zhang ~ the magic continued tonight, little one, you did it! Though I prefer your SP more, which I felt really showcased all your new fabulous improvements, like that phenomenal 3R/3R combo. Still, your joy made me get misty-eyed, great job!

Ashley Wagner ~ lol, I was sitting down watching everybody else until you came on, that's when I jumped up & cheered & got into your program. Wow, you just sold it! As I said when I saw it for the very first time this Fall, your program of "Swan Lake" is my 2nd favorite of all-time, Oksana Baiul 1st. (:^) And I literally got shivers & teared up when you presented that fabulous spiral sequence with such verve, command, and total control, My God I honestly thought I was seeing Natalie Portman in the Black Swan!!!!!! Both you & Rachael Flatt had the best programs imho, and you both brought the audience to their feet, not surprisingly. Final word, I've always said I thought you should have won in 2008, and now you have.

Alissa Czisny ~ she really is another skater from yesteryear, as the commentators said "in the past Alissa would have let those mistakes do her in", but not anymore, not anymore! You maintained your newfound calm, cool, collected composure, and looked like a Regal Queen out there. Posture, positions, superb, nothing need more be said. My only shock, I honestly thought the judges would have put you ahead of Ashley...

Agnes Zawadski ~ I was so pumped from how well your group did (as well as Rachael) that I was hoping & praying that you too would bring it. And after the opening 3/2 combo. I thought it just may be your night, even after the mistake on the 3L I was hoping you would finish strong and skate clean the rest of the performance, but that was too much to ask for one so young & inexperienced. As Scott Hamilton said "you're too great not to be here every year; winning the SP says it all". ITA. And, hey, you won pewter last year, and now bronze this year, that kind of trajectory says you're going to win silver next year and gold in 2014.

NICE NIGHT OF SKATING, THANKS LADIES!

Down With It
    Tired...so here were my impressions as said on FSU:

"First off, congrats to Wagner and good for her for backing up the talk.

Second, congrats to Zhang for a comeback few thought was possible.

Flatt went out there and did herself proud- even though she finished only 6th after being in the top 2 four years in a row, after what she's been through...and realizing it could have been much worse the way she's been skating.

Zawadzki- well, this is a good learning experience for her but she has what it takes and I hope she does not get discouraged by what happened tonight. If anything, it's a triumph for her...she made herself known by that SP on Thursday night, and it's a real tough position to a) be the leader after the SP and b) to skate last. At least I hope she gets a Four Continents trip out of it.

Gao- good to finally see her get stronger and lose some of that shyness I saw earlier.

Czisny- despite the shaky FS, she hung on and didn't let the mistakes derail the performance and that's critical. The ability to fight for every point is the cornerstone of this system. That said, she's going to need to find those jumps pretty soon if she wants to contend for a world medal. This is probably her best shot at one! She needs to shake off tonight, rest up a bit and train for worlds. I don't think she needs to go to 4CC but I'm hearing she'll go anyway.

Nagasu- oh man. What to say, what to do? She looked completely distracted and that's unfortunate. I really think it's a combination of mental issues and being undertrained- her training situation just isn't working out for her and I think ultimately she'll need to leave Carroll and find a more consistent training regimen. The status quo just isn't working...and it would be ultimate shame if this is how her career ends..."

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    Rachael Flatt ~ this is what I meant when I said one has to see her skate live, as I did in 2010 at Skate America, she lights up the crowd like a firefly, like nobody else! FlattFan, I envy you, I truly do. Only you in the crowd know what it's truly like to see her skate live (not surprised with the SO, she got one too at 2010 SA). Btw, I was overcome with awe upon seeing that spectacular outfit she wore, like a nestful of colorful feathers. Oh, Rach, if you really want it, and I mean *want it*, as in capturing a medal at Worlds (& maybe even the Olympics) you just need to overhaul your body and get buff like Joannie Rochette because you have everything you need to not only be #1 in the USA, but also the World. But if you're satisfied with what you have now, and that seems to be the case, as evidenced by what the commentators said (i.e. "I've realized all my dreams, and now I'm just here to have fun", then I wish you well. It truly was a joy to watch you skate.
    I'm just so happy to be there. She did wonderfully. During warm up, she doubled the flip, but landed the lutz. Then doubled another jump. I thought it was going to be bad.
    In the actual program, she only made one mistake on the double flip. Standing O. Biggest reaction from the crowd for sure. They stood up longer for her than for the eventual winner. I'm not sure if the crowd knew about her recent struggle but they seemed to be so supportive after she was done. It was a very sweet moment. She can walk away from the sport with her head held high. From not able to land flip and lutz to putting both in the short and long programs, kudo to her work ethic and her determination. What a girl!

Custom Title
    Some notes from watching all of them lives.

Rachael was slower today than yesterday. Her back is very stiff, which makes her spins particularly average. She does keep her speed throughout, and you can see she's attacking all of her elements. Very determined. College is demanding. She's doing both and doing an admirable job. Great girl.

Vanessa. During warm up, she did a triple lutz right in front of me. It looked like a real lutz. No flutzing. During the program, she flutzed a bit. Good sign. Need better programs. Her footwork is still the bet of the bunch. Ice coverage was not so good compare to the other girls.

Christina Gao. She fell twice on the lutz during warm up. Had some problem with the flip as well. I seriously thought she was going to bomb. Her axel is not good. Need a lot of work on that jump. She seemed slower today than she was in the SP.

Mirai. She was much faster up until the triple flutz-3combo. Then she was crawling after that. Her face showed how scared she was. Must be the slowest girl after the 3-jumps combo. She needs to learn to put everything behind her and continue to compete in the future. It was really bad. Really really bad. She was even slower than junior girls. And she flutzed very badly. She did one right in front of me as well. I thought she kinda fixed that jump and starting to get lip calls instead. What happened to that?

Alissa. I find her dress distasteful. Her long program isn't a program. It was cross-overs and elements. Spins aren't choreography. 2Steps aren't choreography. We need to stop giving her 7s and 8s for transitions and choreography. She just can't handle them. Overscored for that kind of program. Will not get close to that score in the international scene. Maybe 95-100 max.

Ashley. First of all, she's the deserved winner. I find her score outrageous. Her PCS put her at Kostner level. Her TES was just too high. I thought at least 3-4 jumps were two-footed. The same program at international competition will probably net her about 105.

Caroline Zhang. WOW!!! I'm impressed. Her only mistake in both programs was the step out on the flip. Should have been second here. They lowballed her again.

Agnes. Did a beautiful lutz right in front of me during warm up. Looked strong. Then fell apart. Maybe nerve got to her. I think she's not ready after this LP. She would just bomb at the Worlds.

Speed:
    Ashley>Christina>Alissa>Vanessa=Agnes=Rachael>Caro line>Mirai

(Mirai can be fast. She was fast the first 40 second of her programs.)

Custom Title
    Whoa, just got through reading this entire thread and am pooped.

And now I see your lovely comments, FlattFan, and am happy for you! Btw, what stood out to me more than anything else after reading this thread was the hypocrisy, now come the "nice" comments about Rachael. Yeah, as long as she's not at nor near the top challenging one's favorites it's okay to be saccharine sweet, ugh. F-that. Where the he(double ll) were these people when you & me were holding hands last year on here when Rachael was skating at the GPF. Yeah, right. Anyhow, just needed to get that off my chest. And I'm with you, she can hold her head high anytime she chooses to walk away from this sport. What a gal, what a mind, what a focus, and what a joy it is to watch her skate!

Last note, I've been thinking about the Worlds Team, hmmm. Yeah, I agree with you FlattFan, Agnes is not ready, but I'm not so sure about Gracie Gold? Big question mark there. Now she's a US Jr. National Champion, just like Agnes was in 2010, then she went on to become a Jr. World Silver Medalist in 2010 and a Jr. World Bronze Medalist in 2011, not to mention a US Sr. Pewter Medalist in 2011 (her senior debut btw) and now a US Sr. Bronze Medalist in 2012. After looking at Agnes record, I think it may be good to send Gracie Gold to 4CC (Jr. Worlds is a given), and see how she fares. If she does well there, meaning places above both Ashley & Alissa, only then would I put her on the team for Sr. Worlds. Jmho.

NOW ONTO THE MEN, YEAHHHHHHHHHH, THIS IS THE ONE I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FTnoona View Post
    I agree with one of the posters about how Sandra was being a bit harsh about Mirai. Whenever Alissa would bomb her jumps a couple of years back the commentators always found something positive to say about her like her spins are beautiful, she's a beautiful skater if only she could put it together. It sounded like Sandra was angry and frustrated at Mirai.
    Alissa was never a very good jumper (still isn't) but always tried her best. I think people were less harsh on Alissa because their expectations were frankly less. We know that Alissa is not somehow going to become a great jumper at this state in her career. In contrast Mirai is clearly extremely talented and clearly can do it all. But seems to lack motivation/will. And I think that's why people are harder on Mirai.

And I'm sorry but I find the whole Mirai needs Evan to motivate her to be more than a bit much. Sure having a training partner can be great; but great athletes find multiple ways to keep themselves motivated. One would think that being fourth at the Olympics would have been more than enough motivation for Mirai.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoates View Post
    People may not like Rachel or her skating, but you have to give her credit for pulling herself together enough to do well tonight. Good for her. give all the criticism she's faced, she could have easily bagged it and moved on. If she does leave skating, at least it will be on her terms.
    Agreed. I'm no fan but she was joyful out there tonight, truly performed. Best costume she's ever worn, beautiful stained glass tones.

I think "Firebird" is the best LP she's ever done. It truly suits her style.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Rachael Flatt is wearing one of the most beautiful costumes I've ever seen. Simple but beautifully colored, like stained glass.
    That's the best, most flattering dress I've ever seen on Rachael. I LOVED it and I was happy for her that she did such a great job in the LP to pull up.

Christina Gao seems all limbs. Once she grows into her body she should improve loads.

Ashley deserved the win, her programs have really been my favorite this year. Alissa was shaky but she does get lots of love from international judges so I'm glad she made top 2.

Agnes has HUGE jumps. Once she gets consistent she should be right up there. Caroline REBORN! What a great job to silence the doubters!

Caroline's resurgence gives me hope for Mirai who is clearly in some kind of a slump. I was devastated for her but I'm not giving up on her. Reports all weak were that she was blazing through practices so I don't think it's a physical issue with her. I think it's mental and emotional. She's got to find her mojo again. And she's got to get the numbers in which I don't think she can possibly be doing with a 4 hour commute to and from Frank's rink each day, and going from one rink to the other, sometimes apparently training alone. Not good! I think she needs a sports psycholigist to help her work out her demons. I believe Mirai will get it together and come back even stronger. She's only 18. There's still time.

Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post
    Yes, but I don't think its a matter of not putting in the effort with Mirai -- it may be more about losing her focus and making silly mistakes in competition. I've said all season too that I don't like this program and especially not this music for Mirai -- that may be a huge part of the problem too, or at least a little of the problem this season -- not being inspired by the music.
    ^^^
    THIS! I can't stand Mirai's programs this year, especially her LP. I think it's worse than her Geisha number. When she was into it she really brought it to life. And she needs an SP that will echo or better the magic of her 'Pirates' SP.

Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    Caroline should have been 3rd!!!!
    I think Agnes's large point lead in the SP gave her just enough of a cushion to stay in 3rd.

Custom Title
    I feel the same way. Ashley had her eyes on the prize and she nailed it. Mirai needs to take the initiative and really set out what she wants to accomplish in the seasons leading up to Sochi if she wants to get a second trip to the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Nagasu- oh man. What to say, what to do? She looked completely distracted and that's unfortunate. I really think it's a combination of mental issues and being undertrained- her training situation just isn't working out for her and I think ultimately she'll need to leave Carroll and find a more consistent training regimen. The status quo just isn't working...and it would be ultimate shame if this is how her career ends..."
    I think that's one of the major underlying issues with Mirai- being undertrained. I think even in the time she worked with Charlene, her training hours were relatively fewer compared to the other skaters. Unfortunately, that's not gonna cut when you don't have that 14 year-old body anymore. At this point, she really needs to reassess her training situation because crisscrossing from rink to rink is not smart at all. Either she moves closer to Carroll so she can get more consistent training time with him or she go to another coach closer to where she lives. It's just not efficient and productive enough to continue to train the way she does.

Anyways, congrats to Ashley! How awesome and wonderful to see her vision come to fruition. She's such a hard worker and it's such a well deserved title. It's also great to see John's knack for details polishing up some of Ashley's rough edges

And I'm super happy for Caroline. I hope the U.S. sends her to 4CC. I admire her so much for working her butt off reworking her technique and enduring some tough seasons.
    Last edited by camion; 01-29-2012 at 04:34 AM.

[QUOTE=WeakAnkles;611351] *Respectfully clipped for space*
    Ashley Wagner. Well yes, all things considered, she did earn that title, but am I the only one who finds some of the choreography a bit strange? I think it may be those periodic staccato arm movements. Softer, dear, softer. And I wish she would hold the endings of her jumps just a tad longer. It would give the program a far more "finished" look. QUOTE]

The staccato arm movements are from the ballet. In the film "Black Swan" you see Natalie Portman's character doing those same staccato 'flapping' arm movements.

Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast