Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Thread: Senior Ladies Free Skate at 7:00 pm EST.

Custom Title
    I just hope with Alissa's international reputation and Ashely new confidence US can grab 3 spots again at worlds

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    And you don't think Agnes PCS was bumped up too much in the FS? Caroline's PCS was 56.55 while Agnes' PCS was 59.60
    You got a point there.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    I would like to join you in this exclusive club
    Welcome aboard.
    ( Though it won't be exclusive for much longer. )

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    I don't find Agnes masculine at all. She is athletic but that doesn't mean she is masculine.
    I agree,she is taller than most of the girls and is really fit. She remindsme of Irina Slutskaya in a way.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    Caroline really backed off on her speed in the FS. IMO she was a bit over-scored in PCS. In other words, I think Agnes earned that bronze despite the mistakes in the long.
    Completely agree. She was painfully slow with a lot of those 2 foot crosscuts. I find Alissa slow as well. The Euopean skaters are much faster.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MK's Winter View Post
    I agree,she is taller than most of the girls and is really fit. She remindsme of Irina Slutskaya in a way.
    I don't think she looks like Joannie Rochette either as a poster said earlier. Joannie was much shorter and compact. It would be good to see her in a skirt like Alissa's.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    Welcome aboard.
    ( Though it won't be exclusive for much longer. )
    Well I for one am confused, my ritual of despondent despair after Caroline's LP has been disrupted. What will I now do? I feel lost. Though of course, we could once again dwell on her various flaws. But not now and not in this thread ;-)
    Last edited by krenseby; 01-28-2012 at 11:25 PM.

Custom Title
    wow, this is actually just setting in. Mirai is in 7th....so no bye for next year although hopefully international comps might help. AND, Rachel was 4th in the LP? wow. Caroine was 3rd in the long program??? (god, I'm so freaking happy for her). Wang is 8th overall in her senior debut but 6th in the LP? and Gold's junior program scores put her in this mix? And we say the US ladies aren't exciting??? I'm excited!

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Agnes neither looks nor acts remotely masculine.

Which reminds me, I would actually like to see a female skater do a full on drag king routine for a competitive program. Through the years, we've seen ladies pretend to be swans, fauns and that two-timing gypsy Carmen. Why not men?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post
    Come on, re Agnes' body -- the bodies of human beings come in all shapes, sizes, angles. When Agnes is on, she is as good as many of the top ten ladies in the World. This was a big step for her in coming back from a poor start to the season. She just wasn't able to take the final part of that step, yet still garners a bronze medal on the strength of her sp. I like to see ladies (and men too) depart from the norm by exploring their own unique style. Not every lady has to be pretty, lyrical, elegant. Why not shake up the expected with different takes. Honestly, I'd love to see more of edgy, different, exciting (whether the approach is more athletic and less dainty, ladylike, or ladylike with an edge, or whatever).

Special congrats to Ashley, and bravo to all who gave it their best effort. "The sun will come out tomorrow."
    I'm with you! Variety in skaters' physiques and skating styles makes things interesting, in both ladies and men. The more body types go into skating, the fewer skaters will develop eating disorders in a misguided effort to be acceptable.

Polymerbob, I join you in rejoicing that Caroline has made it back to skating success. And she did it so convincingly. Her flow and assurance were splendid. She still has that wonderful upper body posture, but now she's smoothed out her jumps. May she only improve from now on.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jan View Post
    I don't think she looks like Joannie Rochette either as a poster said earlier. Joannie was much shorter and compact. It would be good to see her in a skirt like Alissa's.
    If you are referring to me, I said like the very glam Rochette, she is ripped. Meaning NOT that she looks Rochette in any way other than that she is incredibly muscular with incredibly well defined muscle tone (the ripped part); before the Rochette comparison on muscle tone I said that Agnes was very tall (thus, not like Rochette in that respect).

I was hoping for top 5 for Caroline and she did one better, just thrilled for her.

Congratulations to Ashley no more "almost girl". She was on fire tonight.

Agnes is like an amazon...she brings a lot of power.

I am very happy for Caroline - she was 3rd in the free skate. What a comeback for her.

I love Ashley's program - especially the part where she sprouts wings. She totally owns that program. Kudos to her.

And I've always been a big Alissa fan...too bad she got spooked tonight.

But what an exciting competition!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    Agnes neither looks nor acts remotely masculine.

Which reminds me, I would actually like to see a female skater do a full on drag king routine for a competitive program. Through the years, we've seen ladies pretend to be swans, fauns and that two-timing gypsy Carmen. Why not men?
    This! (reminds me of Kate Hepburn dressing up as a male in one of her movies --can't recall the title-- Point is, think outside the box figure skating world!)

And yes, Agnes is not "masculine." She has changed her look with darker hair (which is it her true color? -- actually doesn't matter -- everyone should experiment with coloring their hair at some point in life, even if just with highlights). Agnes' face is young and beautiful in its very own feminine, unique way -- somewhat a la Barbara Streisand. Agnes seems to have a flawless complexion, and I love how poised she was at the press conference after the sp.
    Last edited by Art&Sport; 01-28-2012 at 11:34 PM.

Custom Title
    Can any poster here persuade me to believe why Agnes beat Caroline in total score? I feel very strongly that Caroline should have won bronze. My arguments: 3R-3R was underscored in the SP, her 3F was dinged for just a minor stepout, Agnes unraveling program, Agnes high PCS despite having multiple mistakes (and trust me, there IS a correlation between falls and PCS unless you're the legendary Chan or Plushenko).

Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast