Senior Ladies Free Skate at 7:00 pm EST. | Page 26 | Golden Skate

Senior Ladies Free Skate at 7:00 pm EST.

R.D.

Record Breaker
But potential is just that- potential. Now, if Nagasu were to be sent to worlds, we'd just have a repeat of Nats- or at best, a clean version of that drab LP- and it wouldn't light the place on fire. It wouldn't be enough to win the event.

Same with Czisny, actually- I think with solid skates and the right amount of luck she can actually WIN worlds. But how likely is that? Very unlikely given how she's been skating all season.

As for Wagner, nice to finally see an American lady with fire in her belly (sorely missing for a long time) but fire will not be enough if she wants to be taken seriously on the world stage.

I don't really see any indication of our fortunes changing in the ladies' event. I think it'll just be more of the same. Although- let's see how Wagner is received at 4CCs (and looking at the field, a medal is definitely not out of the question)

macy

Record Breaker
Just watched the Ladies LP on IN; glad to (finally) see it. Just subjective impressions only, but I gotta hand it to Alissa: I thought there were plenty of good and strong moments/sections in that program. Sure there were some mistakes and tentative moments, too, but overall I was left with an impression of a strong program, which I hadn't expected to have. Even with the mistakes I wasn't holding my breath or worried that a fall was imminent at any moment. She really has found a steadiness in competition. Re: her costume, I think it is just like Rachael's LP dress and others in having the thicker/double fabric in the bottom with the sheer skirt over it, but with it being white I think it gives more of an impression of being underwear -- but I really like the bodice and the overall look of the dress.

Rachael did a great job and the crowd reaction was heartwarming, but for me it wasn't as exciting/grabbing as I had hoped. But that's all subjective, of course -- but I think she can be even more energetic and magnetic and has been in the past. Still, a triumph for her given the past year and all she is undertaking.

i am so proud of alissa. yuka and jason have changed her into a totally different skater. also when she skated her programs i wasn't holding my breath as much. i was still very nervous for her but i trusted her more. her mental state has very much improved and i'm so glad she can finally hold it together during competition.

i also mentioned in another thread that if rachael keeps competing, i hope she keeps her firebird long. it still has so much potential and room to grow.

Yes, what I feel for Alissa is also pride. While she didn't skate her best at Nationals, what she's done is to pull up her "rock bottom level" to a higher mark, so that even when she's off, she doesn't tumble down the rankings. And as one of you GS posters pointed out, even when she doesn't do the best on her jumps, she gives the rest of the program her all: positions, storytelling, spins. So she doesn't let a goof on the jumps pull her down. This is significant, because it makes her a world-class skater. Will she win gold? I don't pin my hopes on it. But if she does her very best, she could realistically make the podium. At that level, she'll also make the U.S. look good, and not as if American ladies' skating has fallen into some deep pit.

But love her as much as I do, I still can't enjoy that costume. It has all kinds of fussy, broken lines, and as you say, the white color makes the bottom look like underwear. I have a low tolerance for white anyway, or even pastels. I like color. It speaks. It sings. Alissa is a tall, adult lady. She doesn't need to look as if she's skating in a nighty. She should take lessons from Carolina Kostner. Or she should negotiate to borrow Rachael's stunning Tiffany-windows costume!

Last edited:

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
Well for me, we just watched Nationals and I was heartbroken for a couple of reasons.

One for Alissa not being able to defend her title, although Im glad she was able to get the silver and go onto Worlds. Im thrilled she didnt self destruct like she has in the past. I wish I enjoyed her LP more, but I dont. I like her SP though. Hopefully she can shake off the LP and prep for a great showing at Worlds. Then plan for a better LP next season.

And two for Mirai sitting in 7th place. Im soo sad that she had great practices but wasnt able to bring it to the table when it was needed. I adore her and was soo hoping she would be on the World team with Alissa. Hopefully she will keep training and be ready if needed in March. I agree with them making her an alternate for Worlds, as she would have been my choice for the team had she not imploded. Especially since she medaled on the Grand Prix this year. She has such talent and the it factor. But this year her programs werent doing it for her. She was very disconnected from them. Hopefully Frank and the rest of her team get her better programs next year. I wish her the very best :)

My boyfriend laughed when they were talking about Mirai being easily distracted. He said he feels bad for Alissa & Mirai, being cursed with what I have. Which is easily distracted(Mirai) and being able to tell how the skate is going to go from looking at their face(Alissa). Sadly I have both :p LOL He says he has seen me skate out with a joyful look and skate beautifully, and seen me skate out with a dark look on my face and the skate go poorly. Plus he has seen me dancing & skating, where he could tell I was doing "my grocery list" and not there mentally. What can I say, I have a lot on my mind ;)

I was thrilled for Caroline to come back at Nationals. Plus getting to go to 4CC is wonderful, I was hoping she would get a spot and improve on her season's best. Hopefully this gives her incentive to keep working on her technique. She has vastly improved and I hope she keeps up the great work.

Although there were injuries and errors, I saw some talent in the up and comers, we enjoyed watching the "new talent". Just dont come up too fast. Im still hanging on to my dream of a podium of Mirai, Alissa & Caroline :)

Last edited:

smontgomery

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I wish the best for Alissa, but I don't think she has nerves of steel to win the worlds. A beautiful skater, but the one I have to watch after she competes, and I know how well she has done.
Congratulations to Ashley, may you make the comeback that Alissa did last year! Best of luck to both young ladies.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Well for me, we just watched Nationals and I was heartbroken for a couple of reasons.

And two for Mirai sitting in 7th place. Im soo sad that she had great practices but wasnt able to bring it to the table when it was needed. I adore her and was soo hoping she would be on the World team with Alissa. Hopefully she will keep training and be ready if needed in March. I agree with them making her as the 1st alternate, as she would have been my choice for the team had she not imploded. Especially since she medaled on the Grand Prix this year. She has such talent and the it factor. But this year her programs werent doing it for her. She was very disconnected from them. Hopefully Frank and the rest of her team get her better programs next year. I wish her the very best :)

Mirai is definitely not first alternate. She is third alternate. Barring something really weird/bad happening she won't be competing again this year.

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
Mirai is definitely not first alternate. She is third alternate. Barring something really weird/bad happening she won't be competing again this year.

Sorry about that, I meant an alternate for Worlds :p as well as she is one for 4CC. I believe she is 3rd for Worlds and 2nd for 4CC. I cant imagine that she would be competing either this year. But at least they named her to the alternate lists. I have fixed my earlier posting. Thanks :)

sweetskates1

Medalist
sigh.. Ashley Wagner is my least favorite US Ladies Champion in the last 10 years... just bla.. sorry I know she worked hard and made sacrifices but just forgettable in every way.

Alyssa: I hope she does extremely well at worlds and retires. She has brought us light, charm, beauty and hope in these past uninspiring years but her time has passed.

Rachael: I hope she concentrates on her university studies and retires from competition. I simply have never seen any potential in her or a need for her to be in the fs world.

Mirai: Leave everything behind and commit to your skating. MOVE and devote all of your energy to skating. YOU are wrong. You are not just the future. You are the now and the present. You are above all a figure skater and honestly, if you do not allow figure skating to define you and be your life in the immediate few years you will regret it. Rarely, do stars like yourself emerge in this drab, commercialized, and politicized world. You have the power, the technique, the beauty, the pure joy, the spirals, the footwork the jumps, the spark, the star-quality, finesse and that it to be it all + world and Olympic gold champion. Why are you leaving the fans to believe and dream alone? join us! Dare, work, focus, you were meant to be part of the figure skating select book of legends. You do not owe it to the fans, you owe it to yourself.

mandykane21

Rinkside
sigh.. Ashley Wagner is my least favorite US Ladies Champion in the last 10 years... just bla.. sorry I know she worked hard and made sacrifices but just forgettable in every way.

Alyssa: I hope she does extremely well at worlds and retires. She has brought us light, charm, beauty and hope in these past uninspiring years but her time has passed.

Rachael: I hope she concentrates on her university studies and retires from competition. I simply have never seen any potential in her or a need for her to be in the fs world.

Mirai: Leave everything behind and commit to your skating. MOVE and devote all of your energy to skating. YOU are wrong. You are not just the future. You are the now and the present. You are above all a figure skater and honestly, if you do not allow figure skating to define you and be your life in the immediate few years you will regret it. Rarely, do stars like yourself emerge in this drab, commercialized, and politicized world. You have the power, the technique, the beauty, the pure joy, the spirals, the footwork the jumps, the spark, the star-quality, finesse and that it to be it all + world and Olympic gold champion. Why are you leaving the fans to believe and dream alone? join us! Dare, work, focus, you were meant to be part of the figure skating select book of legends. You do not owe it to the fans, you owe it to yourself.

Lol, so everyone should quit but your favorite?

verte76

On the Ice
Yeah, I was a little sad for Alissa, not being able to defend her title. A podium of Mirai, Alissa and Caroline would be nice.

verte76

On the Ice
Congratulations to Ashley!! I so wanted this!! lol.

I knew Alissa wasn't going to skate her best when I saw her face before going out on the ice, while Agnes was in the K&C. I'm glad she is still going to Worlds, but Ashley really deserved the win this time. I was worried they were going to 'hold up' Alissa so I'm glad they didn't.

I was also impressed with Caroline, too bad that Agnes had a mini-meltdown at the end of her performance. But wow, Caroline looked like a totally different skater!

It's sad that Mirai and Rachael had their worst finishes in awhile at the nationals, but people rise and fall on fortune's wheel.. in the past it was Ashley and Caroline in those positions and look where they are now. US Ladies is still so inconsistent.

All in all I'm pleased with the world team. If Mirai had skated well I would have wanted her to go but she's honestly not in worlds form right now. I think Ashley and Alissa COULD get the three spots back for the US for 2013.

Yeah they could get the three spots back.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, they did:

Unfortunately, IN, NBC, and USFS are very firm about asserting their copyrights over their material, so Rachael's skates are removed from youtube almost as fast as they go up.

If you want to see them, you can subscribe to ice network where they will be up on demand for the next several years (programs back to 2006/2007 are still available to view, if you have a subscription).