Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast

Thread: Senior Ladies Free Skate at 7:00 pm EST.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    ^ So we're frickle, eh?

Christina has had her own roller-coaster this past season. She was crushed by her GP performances, it was painful to see. It was great to see her doing better here. You could be right about her, but we have a lot of talented young 'uns, it's hard to know who will come out on top. Nina Jiang is another strong possibility and I hope Agnes just got the motivation she needed to rise to the next level.
    I'm talking about a rising career not a season. Christina's trajectory is held back by her current physical conditions, a painful season like this one is exactly what I meant by a blessing in disguise, not getting her over exposed as an overnight star. I'm not proclaiming her to be the next American star, just naming her as a high probability and as a contrasting career path from Mirai's and Caroline's. I'm not familiar with all the up and comers, so I can't comment on them or compare them with one another.

As for the emotional fandom, this forum is exhibition A, full of angst and euphoria based on one competition and sometimes a youtube video. It's all fun though. Both to experience and witness.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    ^ Speaking of Gedevanishvili, she's like a new skater. See her FP at Euros. So wonderful to see! Orser does it again! I want her to medal at Worlds!

Custom Title
    Seriously! Please!!! :D
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Think we could borrow a couple of the young'uns? Nagasu's score would have her first at our Nationals.

Custom Title
    They're showing Ashley's free skate again. Funny thing: the combination of her hair color, the way she wears it, and the position of her neck and shoulders reminds me of Katia Gordeyeva. Their faces aren't alike in bone structure, but there's something about her that reminds me of Katia. Her skating style is far more explosive, of course. That is one dynamic program! If she skates it like this at Worlds--oh, I don't want to get ahead of myself!

take off the oven mitts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    They're showing Ashley's free skate again. Funny thing: the combination of her hair color, the way she wears it, and the position of her neck and shoulders reminds me of Katia Gordeyeva. Their faces aren't alike in bone structure, but there's something about her that reminds me of Katia. Her skating style is far more explosive, of course. That is one dynamic program! If she skates it like this at Worlds--oh, I don't want to get ahead of myself!

her facial expression though, is the anti-katia. katia was a much softer sell. there's something forced or overly forceful about AW's facial expression, but perhaps the aggression akin to hunting a wooly-mammoth is what's required to land jumps, and people who are unhappy with alissa c's overt nervousness would like to see more of *that* from all our other skaters.

not me, though. i like the wolf in sheep's clothing--if i can see the wolf's saliva dripping down (however hungry the wolf), it takes away from the effects of all the shiny sequins :P your mileage may vary

Old school Tim fan
    Instead of worrying about if so and so would win if they just skated like they did in X and Y events or skaters that haven't proven themselves yet, I am going to worry about cheering on Ashley and Alissa at worlds. You go, girls!

I missed most of this competition as well.

She was great but Alissa is my favorite skater!

Custom Title
    I hope Agnes doesn't turn into Mirai as in not being able to hold a lead or do a clean LP. She has a reputation of being a SP skater. Hopefully this experience will toughen her up for next season. I really am getting tired of US Ladies skating scared when it's all on the line. Only Ashley seems to got for it at times.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    I'm happy for Ashley but those programs could be so much more (especially the SP). Her spiral sequence is the best of the year, so kudos there in the LP, but more daring movements like that are needed. She really could be World Champion this year if she had the correct vehicles.

Surprisingly, Rachael Flatt was the 2nd best in the Long Program for me. She got her jump consistency back for the most part and, although a couple of her spins were truly awful and the first half of the program unremarkable, the emotion she brought to the performance towards the end was wonderful. A nice way for her to end her career, although a sad statement about American ladies' figure skating when this is the 2nd best of the night (6th overall was the correct placement for her).

Alissa - this is by far her worst long program ever and she gave a lackluster performance of it here. Still, I'd have her 3rd on the night because her basic skating is better than most of this field and her spins are obviously THE best.

Caroline Zhang - a nice comeback, and I think she should have been 3rd overall here, but she actually hasn't improved all that much in terms of technique. She just manged to be more consistent at this competition. She is still much too slow and isn't able to do short setups into any jumps, her Lutz is still problematic, and her Double Axel is still too small. In terms of performance there was more depth and maturity, though, so that was nice.

Agnes Zawadski - I seriously dislike like the way she moves and presents herself. It's good that she has decent speed and big jumps because otherwise she would be unbearable. Her long program was such a mess, but I'd have her 4th overall because of the technically strong SP.

Christina Gao - 5th place, AGAIN! Hopefully she is done growing and can put everything together next year. There is a LOT of talent here. She needs to be comfortable with herself and allow herself to be expressive and commanding. Needs to work on that Axel technique as well.

well, there were a few memorable skates last night...to me, it was caroline, rachael, and ashley.

ashley- she has a new confidence and command of the ice that she didn't have before. no one did a perfect program that night, but ashley's stood out. i really do like her program this year, i think it's the best black swan i've seen (although cesario's is nice too). i'm happy she was finally able to take gold for once. i think she and alissa will gain the three spots back, they are our best bet.

alissa- i watched the press conference, and i could tell she was very upset with herself. in the article on IN, jason dungjen said although the injury is healed for the mostpart, she had doubts because of it and i think that's why she didn't do her best. you have to remember, she hasn't even been with him and yuka for 2 years, it is still a work in progress. i have a ton of respect for her. the old her would have fallen apart after the first mistake, and she kept fighting through. i don't think it's as much as a mental issue now as it is just getting the jumps consistent. i'm still very happy she made the world team.

agnes- well, i think she had a mirai moment. she was awesome in the short, but her long was disappointing. i could tell she was also very upset in the press conference. this is still only her 2nd year as a senior, and what she has done the past 2 years is very respectable. she still has a few years ahead of her, i'm not worried.

caroline- i am SO proud of her. she is a totally different skater, kind of like how ashley is too. caroline skated absolutely beautifully and deserved getting a medal, she worked her butt off the past two years. i am so glad that she put in such hard work to better her skating. she still does have a lot of room to improve, but this was a huge step in the right direction.

christina- 5th for the 3rd year in a row, kind of has to be a bummer. she also has a lot of room to improve. when she lands her jumps, they are so beautiful and flowing. her flip toe was to die for.

rachael- i am also VERY proud of her too, she deserved that skate last night! so happy for her. i can see where stanford has taken away from her skating (spins, speed) but the second half of her program had so much energy and had me smiling the whole time. i know she probably wasn't excited about her placement but that skate was a huge accomplishment for her this season. i also liked her dress, it's very different. she is going to have to do some reevaluating now though. i think it's going to come down to either skating or school.

mirai- she also has some thinking to do. a lot of it. the emptiness of her performances this season carried into nationals. but i don't really feel bad for her...she needs to grow up and realize that if she wants to be successful, she needs to find her love for the sport again and put in the work. i think john nicks would be good for her. i didn't enjoy either of her performances. a 7th place finish is like a slap in the face for her.

Custom Title
    Sadly i don't think another no nonsense coach like John Nicks is going to help Mirai. It's all up to her now to put in the work and decide if she really wants to be a champion or even skate anymore. She's at a crossroads in her career.

Down With It
    Wouldn't be surprised to see a Flatt retirement announcement before worlds...she can now end her career on a high note.

Nagasu is indeed at a crossroads. Missing worlds not one, but TWO years in a row is really surprising for a skater that showed so much promise two years ago at the Olympics.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised to see a Flatt retirement announcement before worlds...she can now end her career on a high note.

Nagasu is indeed at a crossroads. Missing worlds not one, but TWO years in a row is really surprising for a skater that showed so much promise two years ago at the Olympics.
    Speak of Rachael, did anyone notice that she was the only one to receive a level 4 step sequence? I was just looking through the protocols and just noticed it.

That's something to be proud of as the judges do not hand level fours very often!

Custom Title
    No kidding? I didn't realize that Rachael got a level 4 step sequence. Good for her.

Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast