Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Senior Pairs Free Skate

Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post
    D/C will probably win but that was an awkward lift at the end. I didn't like the way they executed it.
    I totally agree; that last lift of D/C was absolutely hideous. I liked the headbanger exit though.

I was hoping Rockne and partner would win. But a great beginning for their partnership.

Quote Originally Posted by SGrand View Post
    Good Lord!!!! Women skaters need to learn about HD and they need to know that matching their eyeshadow to their costumes is one of the worst ideas ever and so not necessary.
    Denney's makeup is horrible and also her hair, she is not classy at all.

Custom Title
    If Donlan/Speroff got their jumps in order, they'd be podium contenders in a couple years.

Custom Title
    Donlan/Speroff looked like a classic Russian Pairs team out there today. If you are going to skate to Tchaikovsky you better bring it and not just skate through the music. Gretchen reminds me a lot of Katia Gordeeva. Now if she can hit her jumps like Katia used to do all the time this team will be something.

I'm sort of pissed that ABC didn't show Donlan/Speroff. Or did I miss it (I taped it and the clock on my VCR was a little wrong, so the tape started AFTER 3). Caydee and John skated well but Caydee looked like a hot mess with that makeup and that fake tan! I'm sad for Amanda and Mark since I was hoping they'd win and they really skate so beautifully, just have problems on the jumps and sometimes throws. Mary Beth and Rockne were pretty good but it's too bad he fell. I guess they are going to worlds with John and Caydee? I haven't checked that thread yet.

take off the oven mitts
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I'm sort of pissed that ABC didn't show Donlan/Speroff. Or did I miss it (I taped it and the clock on my VCR was a little wrong, so the tape started AFTER 3). Caydee and John skated well but Caydee looked like a hot mess with that makeup and that fake tan! I'm sad for Amanda and Mark since I was hoping they'd win and they really skate so beautifully, just have problems on the jumps and sometimes throws. Mary Beth and Rockne were pretty good but it's too bad he fell. I guess they are going to worlds with John and Caydee? I haven't checked that thread yet.

is there a vid somewhere for D/S or Cain/Reagan? i mistakenly thought NBC would air 2 groups of pairs and was crushed when it opened with the fluff piece on musical chair partner switching, though yankowkas looked so lovely and gracious in her interview. she was filmed in HD too and she looked like a pro did _her_ makeup ;p

Custom Title
    The pairs competition was lackluster. Donlan/Speroff were my favorite because they have something similar to a classic Russian look, but any jumping element that is a 2A or greater is just treacherous for them literally at every competition. It's a shame because they have made great strides elsewhere.

Denney/Coughlin are not particularly refined (I see some improvement in her though), but it was nice to see at least one team get through all the major elements well while also displaying a calm, mature chemistry between the two of them. For being a new team, I am impressed at how easily they completed everything while also paying attention to how they present the program. Now they just have to develop their programs more (and hopefully work on her hair and makeup).

As I expected, Marley/Brubaker fell off a bit once they got away from the cutesy "Singin' in the Rain" short program that showed off Marley so well. There's one part of their long program where they just hold each other, and it was just so painfully forced. Marley just looks/is too young and immature to have any sort of believable chemistry with him. Still, I was impressed by how confidently they went about the program, despite the mistakes. A lot of their pair elements still need a good bit of work, in particular their twist, death spiral, and lifts. Their score was pretty ridiculous considering what they put out there. However, it was necessary to score them that high since Evora/Ladwig received an equally ridiculous score for their borderline disastrous skate.

And what a shame for E/L. They had the best programs, transitions, lifts, etc, in the competition, but just couldn't hold it together. I'm sure coming in with a real chance to win is not a position they were used to.

Overall, US pairs is still lacking in quality and depth. A team made the podium with a disaster skate, and another team made the podium (well, 4th place, but that's podium in the US) while receiving credit for just 2Ts and 1As. Not great. Luckily Denney/Coughlin skated well because the top 4 that were shown on NBC had falls/glitches all over.
    Last edited by gold12345; 01-29-2012 at 09:28 PM.

Custom Title
    I have never seen Donlan/Speroff before. They have star qualities. They were the most polished pair in the competition. Very impressive. Their elements might not be as difficult as the other pairs, but they got the components down.

What others watching on TV don't realize is Caydee and John are very powerful. They are the fastest. They are powerful. They went after each elements like it was the first element in their program. If you see them live, you would understand why they got the standing O. They might not have the polished looks of D/S, but they have everything else.

E/L, especially E, looked better than D/C. E has exquisite line. But they are so inconsistent. Their elements aren't as big. They were nervous. Their lifts didn't cover nearly as much ice as D/C. They are one of the three pairs I would say have adequate speed. The others are Mary Beth and Rockne and D/C.

Mary Beth is probably better than Caydee as a pair skater, but her partner isn't as good as John.

Caydee's make up, even from far away, looked clownish and ridiculous. Her haircut, dress are just tacky. John's line is equally bad compare to hers. But they just fit together. I don't think John and Caitlin can produce that kind of powerful program even at their best. They are better together than John and Caitlin were.

I have never seen pairs live before, and I enjoy it a lot. Thanks to D/C. Also, pairs are just so much faster than singles and ice dance. D/C are about 1.5x the speed of Meryl and Charlie.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    ^ That's a really interesting report! I hope I can see a pairs comp live some day.

Rooting for Adrian, Javi and Kevin R!!! :) aemeraldrainc's Avatar
    After D/C's skate, in the kiss and cry, my 6 year old turns to me and asks, "Is that his mom?"
    I think that says it all.
    I think they knew Caitlin was gonna be there and didn't want anyone to say Caydee was copying Caitlin's look so they chose to leave Caydee's hair down. Didn't she wear it in a bun for the past season? The dress was similar,too.
    IMO. I think they wanted to avoid any comparisons. Awkward!
    Heartbroken for Amanda and Mark. My favorite team and they(Amanda) just couldn't keep it together. Her dress was gorgeous. I wonder if they're going to keep competing or are just going to retire already. I hope not!

Rooting for Adrian, Javi and Kevin R!!! :) aemeraldrainc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post

Mary Beth is probably better than Caydee as a pair skater, but her partner isn't as good as John.
    You think John Coughlin is a better partner than Rockne Brubaker?
    Sorry if I misspelled the names.

Custom Title
    I think Donlan/Speroff (the finesse of their skating is wonderful) and Marley/Brubaker can easily become the top two teams in the US in the next two years.
    I won't deny that D/C's LP was GREAT, but I just don't see a lot of room for improvement. They are both very athletic skaters which means they can get the points for the hard skills, but they don't do them as well as other teams. I know they could work on polish, but really Caydee...those lift positions...EWWWW, and that's been a problem for the past 3 years already.
    FlattFan I disagree with you, I think Rockne is better than John. Today was an off day for him...Mary Beth proved herself today, and it was a BIG step forward for them. They have a lot of room for growth (and I mean that positively since she's so new to pairs...they will get there). Mary Beth definitely still has the cutesy thing going on, but the improvements they made in one year are remarkable. Caydee and John will always be competitive for as long as they continue, but I have doubts about their ability to really be polished and a truly complete package of a pairs team.

Custom Title
    I'd also love to see a vid of Cain/Reagan-- if anyones got a link please post or PM me! They are the pair of the future, please just stay together. And as talented as Ashley is in singles, I really hope she puts more concentration into pairs...usually you have to choose one or the other before both fizzle out (Amanda Dobbs comes to mind...)

And I'm sorry but D/S are NOT like a "classic Russian pairs team". Russian pairs can jump (difficult jumps/throws, mind you). If anyones a Russian-esque team its C/R.
    Last edited by cornell08; 01-30-2012 at 01:25 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    Why did Yankowskas and Coughlin split up again?
    Short answer: John planned to retire.

Long answer/speculation as to what resulted...
    While it hasn't been confirmed, what I've managed to piece together based on when the announcement of their split took place...Caitlin and John when to Worlds knowing that it would be the end of the road/their final competition. I believe John's true goals were to do well at nationals and go to worlds. Frankly, last season was a story-book ending for him. However, due to the postponement of worlds though, Caitlin couldn't start searching for a partner until mid-April b/c really how awkward would that be if people knew they were going to split up before the competed at Worlds. During that time, Jeremy had decided to retire so Caydee was partnerless and moved to train at the OTC. Once Y/C split had been announced the top two female pairs skaters in the US don't have partners. Since John was healthy and actually works at the OTC, he got talking into trying out with Caydee...and well the chips fell where they did and Denney and Coughlin partnership emerged, leaving Caitlin without a partner, which is so disappointing b/c that girl NEEDS to be on the ice. I really hope she finds some one she can skate with that will result in a truly competitive partnership and that she doesn't just settle, but she is kind of tall, which limits her options. It will be VERY sad if she doesn't find a partner since she was the one who wanted to continue her skating career, but this season she didn't have one because her old partner was supposed to retire and she didn't have the time or the options to find a new one.
    Last edited by icebeauty; 01-30-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Custom Title
    I feel badly that Yankowskas had to miss the season and hope she can find a partner. She's on the tall side for pairs, which will make it tougher. She has a gorgeous look to her on the ice. However, I don't think her and John could have gone much further. With Denney, John is already doing much tougher programs than he probably ever could have done with Yankowskas-- harder jumps, harder throws later in the programs, more difficult lifts, etc. It had already taken Yankowskas/Coughlin several years to get where they reached in terms of technical competence, and they still had quite a ways to go. They were behind other teams at this level, for sure, even nationally. For instance, a throw triple sal in the short program puts you in a hole. The beautiful quality of Caitlin's skating made up for a lot of the technical deficiencies, but that can only go so far. If John wants to skate with his alleged girlfriend, who are we to say he is wrong for doing that. If Denney/Coughlin could improve the quality of their lifts, I'd actually find them a very watchable team.
    Last edited by gold12345; 01-30-2012 at 02:26 AM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast