Senior Men's Free Skate | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Senior Men's Free Skate

reneerose

Final Flight
The one that impressed me the most is Jason Brown. Goodness me, his footwork is the most complicate of all competing. His transitions are just out of this world. After watching him, the rest of them, including Abbott, looked like novice skaters. He doesn't have a lot of jumps, but the way he linked them together was THE BEST!!!!!! Can't wait for the next Jason Brown programs.
I thought he was doing great too up until he had that slipup...well maybe a few slipups...but I agree, his transitions flow really well!

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Congratulations to the medalists! This is the order of the podium I wished for - I wished Abbott first and Rippon second.

Abbott's Olympic season SP and LP were skated far better and much more sophisticated, more beautiful, and more clean. The scores weren't any less inflated at US nationals but it doesn't matter. The most important thing is he won! No 4t-3t, but a beautiful 4t! I like Rippon's LP a lot more than Abbott's. Not crazy about Abbott's own choreography after seeing several of those creations.

What I'm most impressed at this nationals was the coaches Yuka Sato and Jason Dungjen. Their students have gotten men's gold, silver, and ladies' silver! Increditable!:rock:

Stephen Carriere's skating was transformed comparing with his skating before the injury! Good for him!

skatinginbc

Medalist
I'm kind of glad that Jeremy had minor errors. It gives us hope that he could get even better. Peaking at the right time is what is important. My idol Jeffrey Buttle won the World title without a clean skate prior to that.

I had difficulty watching Jeremy skate--I mean so many beautiful lines and choreographic details to hold my eye. I had to tell myself to focus on his feet and not his upper body. I could not do it until the fourth time I reviewed the footage. Even the doubled 2S looked perfect to me. It was well executed, ingenuously woven in the choreography, so smooth and flowing--Gosh, how could I even call it an error? The shaky landing of his 3A combo was immediately compensated by that soulful, beautiful position where he looked into the distant sky. There were so many beautiful moments that I felt like seeing ancient sculptures here and there, everywhere. I'm happy that he received a high score for his PCS. Most of his jumps had short setup or no setup--I don't know which, because they were so beautifully blended that I sometimes even forgot he had just made a jump. There is one thing I don't like about his program, however. It is when he stamped his palm on the ice during his footwork sequence. It reminded me of the blood mark he made earlier in the season. It aroused a feeling of unease and broke the spell he had just cast on me.

Last edited:

shine

Record Breaker
How about Jeremy actually skating to clean FS to begin with? Patrick Chan already did but not Jeremy. I watched NBC's broadcast live today and was shocked how generous the scoring was. He had three visible errors, including a little step out on the 3Lo and doubling the 3S. Somehow, that was an 180+ skate? Really? :confused:
LMAO. How about let's go back to Chan's performances and scoring at GPF, and then we'll talk about overscoring.

tampro1

Rinkside
LOL

Armin's jumps looked tiny to me today. Not a good thing.

Agreed! His jumps are really tiny and his speed is just not there. As a Kill Bill fan, I just did not get his costume. He should of wore a similar track suit. I much preferred his Avatar program. He doesn't have the size, speed or amplitude for the Kill Bill music. Keegan has the speed and bravado to pull off this music.

tampro1

Rinkside
Keegan is a bit of a mess in every measurable way. Very exciting to watch, though.

I really enjoyed watching him. I was bored watching Ross and Armin. You can't take your eyes off Keegan. He's definitely a showman! His skating is raw.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Soooooo happy for Jeremy and Adam. It is always wonderful when the favorites step up to the plate. I know Jeremy made a couple of mistakes but who cares? As soon as he started moving it just became clear to me, as always, that he is in another class from the rest of the American field, even the divine Adam Rippon. He has the difficult jumps (when he lands them of course) and the grace and presence and style. I think his spins are better this year than last too, or maybe they are just choreographed to better suit him. It really would have been awful if Jeremy fell apart at nationals again this year but he didn't. What a relief. I just hope he finally shows at worlds what a great skater we at home know him to be. Lord, it would be awesome to seem him medal. I love our men's world team this year! Go Adam and Jeremy!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I love our men's world team, too. I was a bit afraid of even watching the finals, because I didn't know what we'd end up with, but I was thrilled to see so many interesting programs and then the excellent ones of the top medalists. I'm actually feeling hopeful about men's skating in the U.S. And one of our skaters even has a quad!

Like many of you, I enjoyed Keegan Messing and thought of Stojko's take-no-prisoners style. I loved Jason Brown, too. Talk about opposite ends of the interpretive spectrum! For me the standout program of the whole men's competition was Jeremy Abbott's short program. What originality and electricity! I've been fond of Benji Schwimmer from his appearances on So You Think You Can Dance, and I love that he found a way to translate this style into skating.

After this weekend, one of the contenders for World's Greatest Skating Career has to be Yuka Sato. Singles world champion. Professional champion. Learned pairs skating at a late age to skate pro with her husband. And now, successful coach of champions. Even if she hadn't been one of my favorite skaters all along (which she has been since 1994 or so), she would be now.

Go, Detroit!

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
Yeah, I love our men's world team, too. I was a bit afraid of even watching the finals, because I didn't know what we'd end up with, but I was thrilled to see so many interesting programs and then the excellent ones of the top medalists. I'm actually feeling hopeful about men's skating in the U.S. And one of our skaters even has a quad!

Like many of you, I enjoyed Keegan Messing and thought of Stojko's take-no-prisoners style. I loved Jason Brown, too. Talk about opposite ends of the interpretive spectrum! For me the standout program of the whole men's competition was Jeremy Abbott's short program. What originality and electricity! I've been fond of Benji Schwimmer from his appearances on So You Think You Can Dance, and I love that he found a way to translate this style into skating.

After this weekend, one of the contenders for World's Greatest Skating Career has to be Yuka Sato. Singles world champion. Professional champion. Learned pairs skating at a late age to skate pro with her husband. And now, successful coach of champions. Even if she hadn't been one of my favorite skaters all along (which she has been since 1994 or so), she would be now.

Go, Detroit!

Indeed, Jeremy's SP was electric. Jeremy is definitely not a one note. He can skate to different types of music well. Maybe not every type of music but he has shown great variety. His LP was pretty spellbinding too although I was distracted during it. I only watched nationals in bits and pieces because I have a new baby ... hence, I missed Rachael Flatt's LP and had to miss Jeremy reacting to his win... I also tried to watch the ice dance but ended up falling asleep out of exhaustion throughout the whole thing until the shibutanis skated. but I think the fact that I have followed figure skating at all this season with a new baby shows what a dedicated fan I am :)

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
However, I hated his choice of costumes before the injury ;)

I'll settle for such improved skating.

It wasn't a superb night of men's skating, but there was so much to love there:

I selfishly refused to "spoil" myself and watched all this on NBC, and then sat there and watched the whole program. How nice that they showed that many skaters!!

I love Douglas Razzano's basic stroking and the loft of his jumps.

I love everything about Jason Brown, despite the fact that he has yet to conquer the 3A or any quad, even when he is falling down.

I love the insouciance and hamminess of Keegan Messing.

I love the sheer grit, competitive spirit, and concentration of Ross Miner who skated the most of his program with pants that were flopping around, almost without any effect on his skating.

I love the hand motions that Adam Rippon included with his Rippon lutz, rather than just leaving them static.

I love Jeremy's quad toe that was beautifully high and rotated. I love that he didn't let anything distract him this time, and hope that his competitive attitude holds up through Worlds and 4CC's.

Now I've got to go back to icenetwork and look for Scotty Dyer, Ricky Dornbush, and Jonathan Cassar's LPs :)

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
Back a few pages: Jason Brown shot up about 6-8 inches in the last 10 months AND changed boot brands. Back in the late spring/early summer, he was struggling even to land his current aresenal of jumps and didn't get to spend as much of his off season working on the 3A as he could have if the rest had been stable.