Senior Men's Free Skate | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Senior Men's Free Skate

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
This is off topic, but I really like Stephen Carriere again! I hope he can stay injury-free and maybe move up the placement ladder at Nationals again. I think he backloaded his program a bit too much this year.

Me too. Also, you know the topic is off track when talking about someone who competed in the event the thread title is about is considered off topic :D !!!

I liked Carriere too. I was especially impressed by his speed. But who choreographed that back-loaded program? It was way too big for him. Otherwise, it was very good. As I said earlier, the cuts of Swan Lake were perfect for him, dynamic and straightforward, very much a man's Swan Lake. I think he'll be a contender in the future.

ryanbfan

On the Ice
I liked Carriere too. I was especially impressed by his speed. But who choreographed that back-loaded program? It was way too big for him. Otherwise, it was very good. As I said earlier, the cuts of Swan Lake were perfect for him, dynamic and straightforward, very much a man's Swan Lake. I think he'll be a contender in the future.

Actually he skated to Black Swan. :)

tampro1

Rinkside
Find Jason Brown a Dance partner and go for 2018 Olympic Gold.

:laugh: I wouldn't go that far. The kid's definitely a natural entertainer that draws in the audience. I'm not sold on the artist label (which is often given to those who don't have the jumps). Having terrific footwork and transitions don't make you an artist. Bottom line is he's going to have to get the big jumps to play with the big boys. But who knows, maybe he'll be the next Laura Lepisto in the men's field and still end up on the podium!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Jason Brown and Joshua Ferris received similar PCS (69+) at JGPF when Jason went clean and Josh had 2 falls. I wonder why Jason received such Nationals boost with 3 falls (75.30), while Josh received lower marks (65.38) than internationally.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I m trying to update US nationals for men and ladies, can someone post me links in pm? :) Yey Jeremy and Ashely!!! I m curious what happened to Mirai, but Zhang seems she skated quite good!

He has qualities other than the 3A that most other skaters never attain. I don't remember what rattled him in the FP but the first half, including the jumps, had magnificent ease and flow.

I wonder how old Johnny was when he got his beautiful 3A. I'm not worried about Jason yet.

Jason Brown and Joshua Ferris received similar PCS (69+) at JGPF when Jason went clean and Josh had 2 falls. I wonder why Jason received such Nationals boost with 3 falls (75.30), while Josh received lower marks (65.38) than internationally.

Three words. C.O.P. :laugh: As we have seen over and over, in the current IJS skaters are not nailed in the program components for falls. Even multiple falls and falls that disrupt the flow of the program are treated gently in the PCSs.

I didn't see Joshua Ferris' nationals program (or if I did I have forgotten it), but he did skate well in his junior grand prix events. Jason Brown's performance at nationals was Jekyll and Hyde. The first half was sublime -- 5.9! 5.9! 5.9! Then it dove into the trash can. 3.6. :)

Figure skating still has a performing arts component. Never mind the levels and the hundredths of a point, a great performance should please the eye and either soothe or stir the soul. Jason Brown did that (the soothing part) for two minutes, which is two minutes more than any of the other guys did. :)

SkateFiguring said:
So back to my earlier question. Will selective National inflation help or hinder Brown? We already saw it didn't help Bradley.

I realize that I am in a tiny minority here, but I do not think it is the job of judging panels to jockey skaters into position for future events. Judge what you see.

If Jason Brown had skated his whole program as well as the beginning, he would have deserved third ahead of Ross Minor (IMHO). This has nothing to do with Hanyu.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Why the sudden concern about Jason Brown, a skater who finished ninth in both of his U.S. Nationals appearances?

The same thing happen last year with Bradley. A few posters had the temerity to hope he might be able to finish in the top ten at worlds. Such posters had their heads handed to them: "He's not as good as Chan! He's not as good as Chan!"

Yes, we get it. Jason Brown is not as good as Chan.

Well, then, while we're at it, he'll never be as good as Kurt Browning, either...

oh, wait, maybe I missed the point. ;)

Well, then, while we're at it, he'll never be as good as Kurt Browning, either...

oh, wait, maybe I missed the point. ;)

Sigh...Browning. He's on his own up there in the stratosphere. Thanks for the chance to contemplate him for a few moments.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Joshua Farris skated like crap at Nationals, compared to his appearances internationally. He had problems throughout the program.

Why? I don't know, but perhaps the whole gig reminded him way too much of his utterly disastrous LP at US Nationals, skating on a broken leg/ankle/foot, whichever it was.

Perhaps it just wasn't his day, or maybe he does not like relatively big crowds. Who can say?

It isn't all the falls, you know. ;)

Farris fell on his 3A, underrotated his 4T, fell on his only triple lutz in the program, had a significant stumble in his straight line step, and had trouble on his second triple axel, resulting in only a 2t in the combination. So he had 4 major and one minor error in the skate.

Brown had a good skate going until he screwed up & fell in a choreographic step, and then screwed up one jump and fell on two others, thus messing up the end of his program.

It is entirely possible that Farris will beat Brown at Junior Worlds this year. Or he might not.

We'll have to wait and see.

It is possible that Jason will some day challenge Patrick Chan, but it is also most possible that he will have a career like Jonathan Cassar's, a skater who is much admired here in the US, but has never developed a reliable 3A. Jason has a lot of the right stuff, but it remains to be seen how he will develop in the future.

If you're interested in watching a good performer, regardless of how they might finish, do try to get a chance to watch Jason at Jr. Worlds. It may be the last chance to see him internationally.

He also may have a great career.

And while we're talking about last year, the most maligned skater of the bunch was Ross Miner. Who is 3rd again this year, and won his first bronze on the GP, and yes, still needs to develop a 4T. The much praised Richard Dornbush did not do well at all, and has not podiumed this year. However, he landed a 4T of some sort at Skate America.

Ice is slippery.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
That's a really pointless way of thinking. We are supposed to compare everything. Any "biases and agendas" that exist will always be there and it's silly to say only the judges sitting at competitions should have an opinion.

In any case, Jason Brown at 16 years old exhibited better Performance, Choreography, and Interpretation than any other male competitor I've ever seen for that age. Or any age, when compared to most skaters.

skatinginbc

Medalist
Johnny first called Patrick's hands starfish when he was commenting on TV, in an American competition without Patrick....But it becomes tiresome when he repeatedly mocks Patrick's hands...But I don't deem it worthwhile to search for Johnny's comments, which are not worth the attention or focus. Let him say whatever he likes. Sorry, no links.
No links, eh? So your words cannot be trusted. You are the one who criticized Johnny's "frequent put-downs of Patrick Chan" through his commentary and yet at the same time hypocritically claimed that "Johnny's comments...are not worth the attention". If so, why did you even make "Much Ado about Nothing" in the first place? And that's not enough. You even spread the subject to another thread. Indeed, this has been a :rofl: comedy. Getting better and better.

If you don't have the link. I do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmTESX9D9Jk&feature=related#t=1m015s) Date: 3/25/2010 for the World Championship. Patrick was one of the competitors.

MathmanBeing a pro-Chan agent provocateur is a lot lonelier, lowlier, and untolerated than being a pro-6.0 advocate.

On skating boards nothing is lonelier than having fond memories of eras past. But then again, we old-timers will be dead soon anyway. ;)

The funny thing is, I actually like the IJS just fine. But for some reason the fervor of the arguments put forward on its behalf always make me want to say the opposite. Go figure.

As for agents provocateur, we are used to posts along the lines, "I just love Yu-na Kim to pieces. She is so wonderful!"

Next poster: "I can't stand her. She lips her flips and Mao is prettier."

To me, the present exchanges have a different vibe. There seems to be a more purposeful agenda in play, or something. I can't quite put my finger on it.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
On skating boards nothing is lonelier than having fond memories of eras past. But then again, we old-timers will be dead soon anyway. ;)

The funny thing is, I actually like the IJS just fine. But for some reason the fervor of the arguments put forward on its behalf always make me want to say the opposite. Go figure.

As for agents provocateur, we are used to posts along the lines, "I just love Yu-na Kim to pieces. She is so wonderful!"

Next poster: "I can't stand her. She lips her flips and Mao is prettier."

To me, the present exchanges have a different vibe. There seems to be a more purposeful agenda in play, or something. I can't quite put my finger on it.

I can put my finger on it, it's called the ignore button, works for me.