Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: Senior Men's Free Skate

Custom Title
    Weir's given a few seconds on NBC. Asked about his return and his pick for US world team. I think he's here to stir up the water and he did and that's all he could do. He is not a serious competitor any more.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    I've not been able to watch US Mens or hear Weir's commentary, but he has been highly praised on GS at least. Commenting intelligently requires good understanding of the system so he should know the importance of well adapted choreography and its execution in a competition. OTOH, his frequent put-downs of Patrick Chan indicates lesser COP knowledge or its acceptance. So, . Let's hope he can skate the talk and show his skills and wits on ice.
    He's very intertaining for sure but he's not professional. He puts his own likes and dislikes in his comments and is biased. So don't take his words seriously. Just treat them as lighthearted intertainment.

ETA:

Finally read through this long thread. Can't believe those Jason Brown hypes! He doesn't even have a 3A for god's sake! Artistry? How much is artistry worth?
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 01-31-2012 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Finally read through this long thread. Can't believe those Jason Brown hypes! He doesn't even have a 3A for god's sake! Artistry? How much is artistry worth?
    Far too little. The first half of Jason Brown's program was wonderful. Smooth as butter.

No, he's not going to win any contests without some big jumps, but his skating is a delight.

Quote Originally Posted by skatinginbc View Post
    If so, can you tell us what he said?
    "Or do you like the red fan with the climbing ivy motif better?"

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ne...hoto/119542345

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    "Or do you like the red fan with the climbing ivy motif better?"

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    ETA:

I guess fans of figure skating can recognize greatness in the skating regardless of the jumps landed?

This is off topic, but I really like Stephen Carriere again! I hope he can stay injury-free and maybe move up the placement ladder at Nationals again. I think he backloaded his program a bit too much this year.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    This is off topic, but I really like Stephen Carriere again! I hope he can stay injury-free and maybe move up the placement ladder at Nationals again. I think he backloaded his program a bit too much this year.
    Me too. Also, you know the topic is off track when talking about someone who competed in the event the thread title is about is considered off topic :D !!!

Custom Title
    I liked Carriere too. I was especially impressed by his speed. But who choreographed that back-loaded program? It was way too big for him. Otherwise, it was very good. As I said earlier, the cuts of Swan Lake were perfect for him, dynamic and straightforward, very much a man's Swan Lake. I think he'll be a contender in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I liked Carriere too. I was especially impressed by his speed. But who choreographed that back-loaded program? It was way too big for him. Otherwise, it was very good. As I said earlier, the cuts of Swan Lake were perfect for him, dynamic and straightforward, very much a man's Swan Lake. I think he'll be a contender in the future.
    Actually he skated to Black Swan.

Tripping on the Podium
    Find Jason Brown a Dance partner and go for 2018 Olympic Gold.
    I wouldn't go that far. The kid's definitely a natural entertainer that draws in the audience. I'm not sold on the artist label (which is often given to those who don't have the jumps). Having terrific footwork and transitions don't make you an artist. Bottom line is he's going to have to get the big jumps to play with the big boys. But who knows, maybe he'll be the next Laura Lepisto in the men's field and still end up on the podium!

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbfan View Post
    Actually he skated to Black Swan.
    It was Swan Lake before it was Black Swan. : )

Custom Title
    Jason Brown and Joshua Ferris received similar PCS (69+) at JGPF when Jason went clean and Josh had 2 falls. I wonder why Jason received such Nationals boost with 3 falls (75.30), while Josh received lower marks (65.38) than internationally.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I m trying to update US nationals for men and ladies, can someone post me links in pm? Yey Jeremy and Ashely!!! I m curious what happened to Mirai, but Zhang seems she skated quite good!

Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    What a difference the little details make.
    What's amazing is that skaters can pay attention to these details while jumping quads and triple Axels.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    He has qualities other than the 3A that most other skaters never attain. I don't remember what rattled him in the FP but the first half, including the jumps, had magnificent ease and flow.

I wonder how old Johnny was when he got his beautiful 3A. I'm not worried about Jason yet.

Jason Brown and Joshua Ferris received similar PCS (69+) at JGPF when Jason went clean and Josh had 2 falls. I wonder why Jason received such Nationals boost with 3 falls (75.30), while Josh received lower marks (65.38) than internationally.
    Three words. C.O.P. As we have seen over and over, in the current IJS skaters are not nailed in the program components for falls. Even multiple falls and falls that disrupt the flow of the program are treated gently in the PCSs.

I didn't see Joshua Ferris' nationals program (or if I did I have forgotten it), but he did skate well in his junior grand prix events. Jason Brown's performance at nationals was Jekyll and Hyde. The first half was sublime -- 5.9! 5.9! 5.9! Then it dove into the trash can. 3.6.

Figure skating still has a performing arts component. Never mind the levels and the hundredths of a point, a great performance should please the eye and either soothe or stir the soul. Jason Brown did that (the soothing part) for two minutes, which is two minutes more than any of the other guys did.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring
    So back to my earlier question. Will selective National inflation help or hinder Brown? We already saw it didn't help Bradley.
    I realize that I am in a tiny minority here, but I do not think it is the job of judging panels to jockey skaters into position for future events. Judge what you see.

If Jason Brown had skated his whole program as well as the beginning, he would have deserved third ahead of Ross Minor (IMHO). This has nothing to do with Hanyu.

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast