entries | Page 2 | Golden Skate

entries

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I always worry about the skaters who will be dealing with jet lag plus altitude issues.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I always worry about the skaters who will be dealing with jet lag plus altitude issues.

They all should try to get there as soon as they could. The USFSA offered the site so they should help their skaters get acclimatized.

I wonder if skating rinks could simulate high altitude by reducing the oxygen content in the air. It doesn't require advanced science. Or athletes can do off ice training in a small oxygen reduced room, the opposite of getting quick healing in a hyperbaric chamber.

Last edited:

jettasian

Match Penalty
and on that note...Patrick will definitely clobber the men's field even if he falls 4 times

(this is kind of meant as a joke as I enjoy watching Patrick and when he's on, he's GREAT...BUT I just don't get it when he falls (how JW feels)...nonetheless, I believe he can be beat (Jeremy thinks so too). So let's hope for a good and fair competition)

It may be funny to you. But the constant exaggeration of Chan's falls spreading all over the threads on this forum is getting tiresome and pathetic.

Barb

Record Breaker
I know is not the topic, but I need help for to buy my tickets, in the page when I have the seats I don`t know what to do, I push checkout but Said me that chose delivery method and are not options, I dont speak english well, please heeelp!!!, thank you

ivy

On the Ice
It may be funny to you. But the constant exaggeration of Chan's falls spreading all over the threads on this forum is getting tiresome and pathetic.

I so agree - tiresome! :rolleye: (I can't believe there's not a yawning smiley ;) )

macy

Record Breaker
Could it be that Alissa turned the spot down? Last year, 4 continents didn't go so well for her and it does come so close to nationals...

Caroline is going to 4CC! Yey!! So nice that the season isn't over for her.

she wasn't offered the spot, i'm not sure why.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
macy, do we know that for sure? I don't doubt it, but perhaps she asked to not be considered. At the Greensboro airport last year, I talked with her a bit and I have to wonder if she wants to keep from being exausted at worlds. I know she was tired after nats last year, and look how far she had to go and come back. The media says she reports to be 100 percent healthy. But I can tell you after being at Nats for ten days this year I feel like I was a one legged man in a butt kicking contest. I am sure it is tiring for athletes but of course in different ways than it is for us fans....except that for us all there is much stimulation and excitiment.

tulosai

Record Breaker
macy, do we know that for sure? I don't doubt it, but perhaps she asked to not be considered. At the Greensboro airport last year, I talked with her a bit and I have to wonder if she wants to keep from being exausted at worlds. I know she was tired after nats last year, and look how far she had to go and come back. The media says she reports to be 100 percent healthy. But I can tell you after being at Nats for ten days this year I feel like I was a one legged man in a butt kicking contest. I am sure it is tiring for athletes but of course in different ways than it is for us fans....except that for us all there is much stimulation and excitiment.

I do think we know for sure. One of her friends posted on twitter that she was not offered a spot and that his whole day was ruined because of it. Granted this is not quite the same as her saying it herself but I am of the impression it is 99% sure. There is a thread in The Edge about this.

I know is not the topic, but I need help for to buy my tickets, in the page when I have the seats I don`t know what to do, I push checkout but Said me that chose delivery method and are not options, I dont speak english well, please heeelp!!!, thank you

Chapis, I can't help you, but I thought I'd repeat your request to draw attention to it. Can anyone help Chapis negotiate through the purchasing process on the web page?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I am disappointed that Kozuka will not be here. It's not just because he's one of the best, but also because he needs another international competition this season since he missed out on the GPF. He did not start out of the gate blazing this season, as few did, but combination of factors have also undermined his competition results. It's like he's put in cold storage after the breakthrough at last Worlds, by his federation and by fans, and is deprived of at least this opportunity to better his progress and his cred. Maybe he will turn it into an advantage and be better prepared for Worlds. Life and skating competitions can be unpredictable and downright strange.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Chapis, I can't help you, but I thought I'd repeat your request to draw attention to it. Can anyone help Chapis negotiate through the purchasing process on the web page?
I think Chapis needs to find someone who can negotiate the website and have the tickets held at "Will CAll". Another option would be to just buy them on site. Trust me. After attending nationals, skate americas,
and the last Four continents, seats will not be a problem. Here is alittle story. Last 4 Conts at COS in 2007 after Nats in my home town, I decided to go. I called one week before the competition and got front row seats.
Only I had to change seats every competition....big deal....At nats this year, you could have sat about anywhere you liked for all but two competitions.....for ladies long, you might have had to sit four to eight rows back.
I checked the Omaha website after a "flurry" of ticket buying at this years Nats....pleanty of front row seats still available....will the other fan who goes to competitions please turn out the lights afterwords? Thanks....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I do think we know for sure. One of her friends posted on twitter that she was not offered a spot and that his whole day was ruined because of it. Granted this is not quite the same as her saying it herself but I am of the impression it is 99% sure. There is a thread in The Edge about this.
Thanks! There will be no Friends of Figure skating breakfast this year at 4 Conts so I cant ask the skaters if they know anything, but my spies buried deep in the bowels of USFSA will be there and I can see if I can get the party line at least....I will also ask my other spies.....

Chris the Mole

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I am disappointed that Kozuka will not be here. It's not just because he's one of the best, but also because he needs another international competition this season since he missed out on the GPF. He did not start out of the gate blazing this season, as few did, but combination of factors have also undermined his competition results. It's like he's put in cold storage after the breakthrough at last Worlds, by his federation and by fans, and is deprived of at least this opportunity to better his progress and his cred. Maybe he will turn it into an advantage and be better prepared for Worlds. Life and skating competitions can be unpredictable and downright strange.

I'm also disappointed that Kozuka, Hanyu, and Suzuki won't be there. I don't understand why the JSF didn't enter them, especially Akiko Suzuki. This year is Akiko's best chance yet for a World medal. At this point, she needs to build her reputation and resume heading into Worlds; a 4CC medal would have helped with that. Whereas what do they gain by sending Haruka Imai? Only more competition experience for Imai, which she got anyhow during the Grand Prix.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
I'm also disappointed that Kozuka, Hanyu, and Suzuki won't be there. I don't understand why the JSF didn't enter them, especially Akiko Suzuki. This year is Akiko's best chance yet for a World medal. At this point, she needs to build her reputation and resume heading into Worlds; a 4CC medal would have helped with that. Whereas what do they gain by sending Haruka Imai? Only more competition experience for Imai, which she got anyhow during the Grand Prix.

It's been relatively standard procedure in past years (except for the special, predetermined rules in the Olympic season) to send the medalists from Nationals to World's, and to send the 1st, 2nd, and 4th to 4CC. This makes sense when you have 4 elite skaters in both men's and ladies' divisions, but with both Ando taking the season off on the ladies' side and Oda taking nationals off on the mens', I agree that it doesn't make sense to send a skater that's substantially less likely to do well, especially on the men's side when they skipped both the silver and bronze medalists to send both Machida and Mura. Maybe they're giving some of these skaters experience at major championships to hedge for the risk of one of the top skaters retiring before Sochi?

Edit: I think they went with 1st, 3rd, and 4th here and opted for Murakami over Suzuki deeming that Suzuki did well enough in the Grand Prix season (silver at the finals) to have enough of a reputation going into World's, whereas Murakami underperformed in the GP and could use a reputation boost. But, it peeves me that they didn't send Kozuka on the same logic, and went for 2 relative unknowns. (Especially mad at JSF because I have tickets and was looking forward to seeing Kozuka and Hanyu, expecting to see at least one of them.)

Last edited:

NMURA

Medalist
I can guess some reasons behind the JSF's decision. First of all, they have given "favors" to the US. Sending any of Suzuki, Kozuka, Hanyu will reduce the chances for the host country to win 4cc medals. Especially for Suzuki, they really don't want to treat her as the "favorite." If Suzuki wins the 4cc title or a world medal, they would have to treat Suzuki as a serious candidate for Sochi Olympics, which is something they want to avoid. Because if it happens, Murakami's olympic chance will be jeopodized. Given the possibility Miahara will surpass Murakami in 2 years. And always, their #1 favorite lady is Asada. They don't want Suzuki to beat Asada at worlds. Only for this season, Suzuki is NEEDED as a number player to secure 3 spots.

Last edited:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I can guess some reasons behind the JSF's decision. First of all, they have given "favors" to the US. Sending any of Suzuki, Kozuka, Hanyu will reduce the chances for the host country to win 4cc medals. Especially for Suzuki, they really don't want to treat her as the "favorite." If Suzuki wins the 4cc title or a world medal, they would have to treat Suzuki as a serious candidate for Sochi Olympics, which is something they want to avoid. Because if it happens, Murakami's olympic chance will be jeopodized. Given the possibility Miahara will surpass Murakami in 2 years. And always, their #1 favorite lady is Asada. They don't want Suzuki to beat Asada at worlds. Only for this season, Suzuki is NEEDED as a number player to secure 3 spots.

Are you sure? I'm sure the JSF would want to with Olympics gold in any scenario, even if it was Suzuki. I'm sure they would rather have Suzuki and Asada as contenders than JUST Asada.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Jeremy is out ---- ( On reading, that could be taken a couple of different ways. )

Apparently he has a hip injury. Richard will replace him. The story is on IceNetwork.