Flatt's current status | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Flatt's current status

I hope she continues to skate. The US needs a steady skater like Rachel in the mix to challenge the other ladies to skate better. We saw far too many falls and pops, and these skaters need to realize that work ethic and focus is just as important as raw talent in achieving good competitive results.
Actually, after this Nats, I have to agree. It was very impressive to see Rachael's mental strength carry her to a solid FP in spite of all her issues. I had to give her props... almost against my will as I'm not one of her biggest admirers. She showed a lot of grit.

I agree, I think she should keep Firebird for next season as she really only got to compete it 3 times. Nationals was a step in the right direction in terms of committing to the choreography and I think she's really only scratched the surface in that regard. I'd love to see her skate some summer competitions to get the kinks worked out and hopefully a Senior B, maybe Nebelhorn, O Nepela, or possibly the Senior B in the US. I think that finishing the season on a high note, but not making 4Cs or Worlds, is actually a good thing because it gives her more time to self-evaluate and figure out where she wants to go with her skating.

And of course if she keeps Firebird, she will keep THAT COSTUME. Purely magical, one of the best costumes ever. I'd love to see it many times again.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Flatt showed fight and heart in that FS- but I think skating has taken her as far as she'll go. I will not tell her to retire as that is her choice, of course- but I do think she's at a point where she needs to decide what gets her full attention. She seems to be enjoying the college life just fine.

lilshorty

On the Ice
I hope she continues to skate. The US needs a steady skater like Rachel in the mix to challenge the other ladies to skate better. We saw far too many falls and pops, and these skaters need to realize that work ethic and focus is just as important as raw talent in achieving good competitive results.

I would like to see her continue as well. I agree with FlattFan that a more leaner and faster Flatt will make her a contender again. If Flatt can do this, I see the USFSA letting bygones be bygones and at least give her a shot at the Nats podium again.

MasterB

Final Flight
I would like to see her continue as well. I agree with FlattFan that a more leaner and faster Flatt will make her a contender again. If Flatt can do this, I see the USFSA letting bygones be bygones and at least give her a shot at the Nats podium again.

One thing is certain, if anyone can do it, she can.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Well it seems maybe my guess was wrong and she will be back as she was happy with her skate, as well as adjusting next years schedule for more balance. I too loved the costume on her and think she should keep Firebird. I am a huge Stravinsky fan, and it seems logical to keep it.

Nice to read folks opinions. Seems Rachael garners a lot of respect even from those who don't enjoy her skating.

krenseby

Final Flight
Well it seems maybe my guess was wrong and she will be back as she was happy with her skate, as well as adjusting next years schedule for more balance. I too loved the costume on her and think she should keep Firebird. I am a huge Stravinsky fan, and it seems logical to keep it.

Nice to read folks opinions. Seems Rachael garners a lot of respect even from those who don't enjoy her skating.

Are you looking forward to seeing her on the Grand Prix next year? I wonder what events she'll be getting. If she keeps her LP, it'll be interesting to see if she manages to skate it better by then.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Well, she sounds from interviews like she is going to arrange her schedule for less academics, less commute time. She will lose weight if she can train more. I'd like to see Ashley clean up, and see Agnes skating. A differently packaged Agnes, but those jumps are amazing. She is going to do well if she skate clean with Intl judges, I would guess. Mirai, I can't discuss as her thread got closed so we'll leave that. If Alissa makes the podium by some chance this year, I hope she retires. While she is stunning, I think she is not a competitor and I feel nothing but nervous watching her LP's I get through her Sp's ok and think, stunning. But I feel her tension, and it is like the old days watching Sasha. Gracie Gold I hope will be able to skate on the senior GP? Can she? I want to see Caroline Zhang compete. Rachael was never my favorite skater, but it seems like the intel from this thread is, she is trying to continue. I also like the little spitfire Kiri Baga and who knows which little ones they might assign.

Rachael if healthy and training hard is so capable. I have no idea if they will assign her. Her LP was great to see, tho. She has an amazing work ethic. Hats off, and good luck to her.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Host pick - Can pick anyone they want from among their own skaters. This year's host pick for SA was Joelle Forte.

Nigel

On the Ice
I'm hoping that Flatt takes time to completely heal. She has been dealing with injuries for two full seasons, and boot issues as well (she mentioned in the espnW article, iirc, that she was in new boots/blades about 2-3 weeks before San Jose...something about chronic tendonitis. I think Flatt had the same problem last season..thru the SGP season...and was in a cast prior to the SGPF. Hopefully she can find the right boots and perhaps bring the lightness back to her skating. If your feet and ankles hurt all the time, makes it hard to train I would think. Makes me cringe.

Thank you. That must have been a bother.

Back to Rachael, at least closer - can anyone explain why they like her Firebird program? Aside from the fact that she stayed vertical and performed with conviction at Nats, Rachael is as unlikely a firebird as I can imagine and I didn't notice anything particularly interesting about the program. But I would appreciate hearing from the many who liked it for her.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thank you. That must have been a bother.

Back to Rachael, at least closer - can anyone explain why they like her Firebird program? Aside from the fact that she stayed vertical and performed with conviction at Nats, Rachael is as unlikely a firebird as I can imagine and I didn't notice anything particularly interesting about the program. But I would appreciate hearing from the many who liked it for her.

I think it's the fact that the program is "more" Rachael and gets away from the cutsy/jazzy programs and serious/balletic programs she's been attempting in the last few years. From my view, I think the music is more powerful and the choreography works better for a skater like Rachael who is more jump/athletic oriented. I think despite the cliche and the fact it's a totally difference piece of music, that's why I think East of Eden has worked for her as well.

I don't think it's quite obvious because Rachael is not 100 percent. But should she choose to continue and keep this program, I think she can really make it work.

Ah, this makes sense. Thanks. If you compare Firebird to the previous season's FP, then definitely this is an improvement and I'm glad she's ditching the cutesy stuff. But personally I think a bird number is a mistake for her. Rachael does best (IMO) with big, romantic, and, yes, powerful pieces like EOE and Rach 2, not the subtleties of Stravinsky. She'd probably do well with a Tchaikovsky concerto but I hope she avoids Swan Lake.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I think Rachael shows versatility. I like her so called cutesy-rather use bubbly, effervescent like her sing sing sing sp which she danced and skated the hell out of in 2010 Nats and Oly's. She has emotional depth, so trying EoE was a good attempt. Her issues are training. If she can become more svelte, she could do Swan, with a leaner body.
She needs to choose skating to get back to top form. I never thought Wagner would do justice to Black Swan but she did very well with this peice of music. The performance was there, she never let go of it. I think Rachael has what it takes to be consistently at the top in USA. But she needs to train a lot more. I wish her well with choosing her schedule this year and hope she heals. She must follow her body and not push it. Her somatype can be changed. She is no Swan when you see her current shape, and i doubt she'll choose that music. Firebird has a modernity and room for such modern movement.

Now, I'd love to see what Ash does with Firebird. Her SP and LP make me think she could blow Rachael away at her best skating to "Firebird."

Last edited:

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I actually think Flatt's 'Firebird' LP at Nationals was the best she's ever done from a performance aspect. She truly 'sold' it-and this coming from someone who does not consider herself a fan. Previous attempts have been just boring to me. And her LP costume-the best she's ever worn. It's a keeper.

I agree about the costume. I think it's one of the best I've ever seen on anyone.

I enjoyed the program, too.