Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Flatt's current status

skating philosopher
    My point is that what we have seen as of late (or really since last year's Nationals) is a Rachael not at 100 percent, at least physically. Mentally, I think she is 100 percent there as far as competitive spirit. That is what helped her pull the finish she did despite the challenges. I agree she had a nice comeback in the LP to rise several spots, but by no means is that is all of what she is capable of. I'd like to see a healthy Rachael before making more of a judgement regarding her future in the sport.

I agree that she probably doesn't have the USFSA favoritism that she has had in past years, but she does have the potential of strong TES scores. In fact in the FS Saturday, she posted the third highest TES score, behind Angela Wang and Ashley. (Though Caroline was a very close 4th and Alissa a close 5th). She is capable of posting a few extra points in there if she is 100 percent healthy and training well.

I realize these are all IFs, but given the state of U.S. Ladies skating, I don't think the IFs I'm offering here are any more extreme than others.

I love rooting for for people who can dig deep and do wonders. I believe Rachael still has it in her — Saturday's LP was a great example of that.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 02-01-2012 at 02:15 AM.

Custom Title
    I hope she continues to skate. The US needs a steady skater like Rachel in the mix to challenge the other ladies to skate better. We saw far too many falls and pops, and these skaters need to realize that work ethic and focus is just as important as raw talent in achieving good competitive results.

If she keeps competing I hope she keeps her long for next year and gets a new short.. that program still has a lot of potential and she could really skate it awesome next year. tweaks in the choreography, a little more fire to the firebird (no pun intended). sharper more explosive movements.

Quote Originally Posted by macy View Post
    If she keeps competing I hope she keeps her long for next year and gets a new short.. that program still has a lot of potential and she could really skate it awesome next year. tweaks in the choreography, a little more fire to the firebird (no pun intended). sharper more explosive movements.
    I agree, I think she should keep Firebird for next season as she really only got to compete it 3 times. Nationals was a step in the right direction in terms of committing to the choreography and I think she's really only scratched the surface in that regard. I'd love to see her skate some summer competitions to get the kinks worked out and hopefully a Senior B, maybe Nebelhorn, O Nepela, or possibly the Senior B in the US. I think that finishing the season on a high note, but not making 4Cs or Worlds, is actually a good thing because it gives her more time to self-evaluate and figure out where she wants to go with her skating.

Custom Title
    Rachael's stock dropped a bit. Her PCS was lower than Christina Gao's of all people. I thought with that kind of performance, she would be at least 2nd or 3rd in PCS. They are putting her in the second tier group now.
    If she comes back leaner and faster, she would be a contender again. She left quite a few points on the table, the double axel in the short program, replace the 2A with a 3T in the long program, rotate her 3F instead of doubled it, her spins could improve a lot. It was average compare to the other girls. I said average instead of bad because she was spinning in one spot, most girls travel a lot in their spins. Mirai's 3 spins in the SP, 2 were traveling all over the place. The only one who had great spins and didn't travel at all are Czisny and Lam and Ashley.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I hope she continues to skate. The US needs a steady skater like Rachel in the mix to challenge the other ladies to skate better. We saw far too many falls and pops, and these skaters need to realize that work ethic and focus is just as important as raw talent in achieving good competitive results.
    Actually, after this Nats, I have to agree. It was very impressive to see Rachael's mental strength carry her to a solid FP in spite of all her issues. I had to give her props... almost against my will as I'm not one of her biggest admirers. She showed a lot of grit.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BackStage Barbie View Post
    I agree, I think she should keep Firebird for next season as she really only got to compete it 3 times. Nationals was a step in the right direction in terms of committing to the choreography and I think she's really only scratched the surface in that regard. I'd love to see her skate some summer competitions to get the kinks worked out and hopefully a Senior B, maybe Nebelhorn, O Nepela, or possibly the Senior B in the US. I think that finishing the season on a high note, but not making 4Cs or Worlds, is actually a good thing because it gives her more time to self-evaluate and figure out where she wants to go with her skating.
    And of course if she keeps Firebird, she will keep THAT COSTUME. Purely magical, one of the best costumes ever. I'd love to see it many times again.

Down With It
    Flatt showed fight and heart in that FS- but I think skating has taken her as far as she'll go. I will not tell her to retire as that is her choice, of course- but I do think she's at a point where she needs to decide what gets her full attention. She seems to be enjoying the college life just fine.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I would like to see her continue as well. I agree with FlattFan that a more leaner and faster Flatt will make her a contender again. If Flatt can do this, I see the USFSA letting bygones be bygones and at least give her a shot at the Nats podium again.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lilshorty View Post
    I would like to see her continue as well. I agree with FlattFan that a more leaner and faster Flatt will make her a contender again. If Flatt can do this, I see the USFSA letting bygones be bygones and at least give her a shot at the Nats podium again.

One thing is certain, if anyone can do it, she can.

Well it seems maybe my guess was wrong and she will be back as she was happy with her skate, as well as adjusting next years schedule for more balance. I too loved the costume on her and think she should keep Firebird. I am a huge Stravinsky fan, and it seems logical to keep it.

Nice to read folks opinions. Seems Rachael garners a lot of respect even from those who don't enjoy her skating.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Well it seems maybe my guess was wrong and she will be back as she was happy with her skate, as well as adjusting next years schedule for more balance. I too loved the costume on her and think she should keep Firebird. I am a huge Stravinsky fan, and it seems logical to keep it.

Nice to read folks opinions. Seems Rachael garners a lot of respect even from those who don't enjoy her skating.
    Are you looking forward to seeing her on the Grand Prix next year? I wonder what events she'll be getting. If she keeps her LP, it'll be interesting to see if she manages to skate it better by then.

Well, she sounds from interviews like she is going to arrange her schedule for less academics, less commute time. She will lose weight if she can train more. I'd like to see Ashley clean up, and see Agnes skating. A differently packaged Agnes, but those jumps are amazing. She is going to do well if she skate clean with Intl judges, I would guess. Mirai, I can't discuss as her thread got closed so we'll leave that. If Alissa makes the podium by some chance this year, I hope she retires. While she is stunning, I think she is not a competitor and I feel nothing but nervous watching her LP's I get through her Sp's ok and think, stunning. But I feel her tension, and it is like the old days watching Sasha. Gracie Gold I hope will be able to skate on the senior GP? Can she? I want to see Caroline Zhang compete. Rachael was never my favorite skater, but it seems like the intel from this thread is, she is trying to continue. I also like the little spitfire Kiri Baga and who knows which little ones they might assign.

Rachael if healthy and training hard is so capable. I have no idea if they will assign her. Her LP was great to see, tho. She has an amazing work ethic. Hats off, and good luck to her.

Host pick - Can pick anyone they want from among their own skaters. This year's host pick for SA was Joelle Forte.

Custom Title
    I'm hoping that Flatt takes time to completely heal. She has been dealing with injuries for two full seasons, and boot issues as well (she mentioned in the espnW article, iirc, that she was in new boots/blades about 2-3 weeks before San Jose...something about chronic tendonitis. I think Flatt had the same problem last season..thru the SGP season...and was in a cast prior to the SGPF. Hopefully she can find the right boots and perhaps bring the lightness back to her skating. If your feet and ankles hurt all the time, makes it hard to train I would think. Makes me cringe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast