Caroline Zhang - Can She Regain Her Spot Among The Top US Ladies? | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Caroline Zhang - Can She Regain Her Spot Among The Top US Ladies?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I agree with you that Caroline has to find her way back to her artistic side to make a strong impression. Do you think she can do this with David Wilson or should she perhaps seek out another choreographer? She could go back to Lori Nichol who she worked a lot in previous years. Or perhaps she could have Karen Kwan choreograph for her, though Karen has only choreographed exhibitions for her thus far.

I think Caroline just needs to get all her technical issues sorted out (which she is well on her way to doing) and gain confidence before thinking about hiring the best choreographers in the business. Caroline is the type who tends to shut down and focus when she is not 100% confident in her technical skills (mirai is the same way), which only makes her mistakes more glaring and results in low PCS. Once Caroline can skate with speed and confidence, she can really stark making an improvement in becoming a character on the ice.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
If she can keep her jumps stable, the remaining improvements she needs are totally doable. Her stroking, choreography, and fitness can all improve with hard work. The big question was whether she could get her jumps back, and it looks like she has.

evangeline

Record Breaker
I think Caroline just needs to get all her technical issues sorted out (which she is well on her way to doing) and gain confidence before thinking about hiring the best choreographers in the business. Caroline is the type who tends to shut down and focus when she is not 100% confident in her technical skills (mirai is the same way), which only makes her mistakes more glaring and results in low PCS. Once Caroline can skate with speed and confidence, she can really stark making an improvement in becoming a character on the ice.

Exactly. Moreover, PCS as a whole tends to track the SS score due to the judges not really differentiating between all the categories, so Caroline's PCS in general will probably go up once she improves her stroking.

cornell08

Final Flight
This question I've been curious about for some time: I remember Caroline saying (just before or around her senior GP debut) that she was training a triple axel. Even back in the JGP days her axel jump was weak....so....huh???

And on a completely unrelated, more recent note: What should she skate to next season? Its early, I know. Indulge me :)

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
This question I've been curious about for some time: I remember Caroline saying (just before or around her senior GP debut) that she was training a triple axel. Even back in the JGP days her axel jump was weak....so....huh???
Everybody says that. ;)

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Today's (2/21/12) edition of Sarah and Drew's "Insider Edge" blog on IN includes this snippet:
As always happens, Sarah saw a lot of skaters at the airport when she flew home from the Four Continents Championships on Feb. 13. Caroline Zhang was waiting for her flight to Los Angeles and happy to chat. Asked if she was going to take a postseason vacation, she said, "You mean today? Because I'm taking today off. I don't like to take vacations. You just have to reset all your jumps afterward."

Zhang said she'll be working on the triple Axel in the offseason, as she has before. She usually stops working on it when the season starts because of the risk of injury, but if it were to become a solid jump for her, she would include it in her programs next season.

"Oh, definitely. I actually like it better than double Axel," she said.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't see Caroline getting a triple axel. Her double axel is adequate at best and as is she doesn't have much speed going into it and she would need even more for the triple axel. I don't see her having the power and speed needed.

krenseby

Final Flight
I can't see Caroline getting a triple axel. Her double axel is adequate at best and as is she doesn't have much speed going into it and she would need even more for the triple axel. I don't see her having the power and speed needed.

Well, maybe the very process of attempting a triple axel will change her double axel so that she goes into it with more speed and power. A more powerful double axel for her wouldn't hurt. On the other hand, I wonder why she isn't talking about the triple toe or the triple salchow. Wouldn't adding those jumps to her arsenal also do her some good?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Yeah, despite her success this season it seems like her plate is already full of things she needs to work on: stroking, edge calls on the lutz, getting her 3/3 in the LP. Work on the triple axel seems like it could distract her from making improvements that are well within her reach. The women who have landed it were either very powerful jumpers (Ito and Harding) or very slim-built, fast spinners (Mao and Kimmie). Zhang is neither, and even those in the latter group struggle with fully rotating the jump.

Krislite

Medalist
A triple Axel for Zhang?! That's even more dubious than Nagasu ever landing it in competition, or Czisny doing a clean triple-triple. There are far better things Caroline can spend her time on improving, like skating skills. Or even her double Axel. Her coaches need to talk some sense into her.

tampro1

Rinkside
Today's (2/21/12) edition of Sarah and Drew's "Insider Edge" blog on IN includes this snippet:
That would be quite impressive to do a triple axel from a stand still position:laugh: Unless she's channeling Suriya Bonaly.... :laugh:

krenseby

Final Flight
A triple Axel for Zhang?! That's even more dubious than Nagasu ever landing it in competition, or Czisny doing a clean triple-triple. There are far better things Caroline can spend her time on improving, like skating skills. Or even her double Axel. Her coaches need to talk some sense into her.

How do coaches usually deal with skaters who want to try ambitious jumps?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
How do coaches usually deal with skaters who want to try ambitious jumps?

Kwan and Oppegard are legit and I'm sure they will talk her out of it. It's understandable that the youngster in her wants to do all these flashy moves but the coaches have to share their wisdom and keep her on a winning path, which IMO is continuing to make the improvements that have brought her back near the top of US figure skating.

Nadine

Record Breaker

I'll never underestimate Caroline nor any other figure skater ever again, especially after literally writing Alissa Czisny off, then she shocked the whatchamacallit out of me by actually landing jumps and winning competitions, even the GPF! :eek:

Then BAM Caroline Zhang does the same thing at 2012 US Nationals by landing a 3R/3R combination in the SP!; totally unexpected, didn't even know she could it, and after picking up my eyeballs off the floor I just went "WOW". :jaw:

Even Patrick Chan, I thought he'd never get the quad, and I LOL when I found out he was using the dartfish computer thingie to study Evgeni Plushenko's technique, but it actually worked for him and now he lands quads consistently. :sheesh:

So I say never underestimate these athletes. Laugh now, but prepared to eat crow later.

And on that note, if Caroline Zhang says she's going to do it, I believe her. :thumbsup: :cool:

justaskatingfan

Rinkside
That would be quite impressive to do a triple axel from a stand still position:laugh: Unless she's channeling Suriya Bonaly.... :laugh:

It had been said before. If she can do doubles standing still then she can do the triple with a little extra speed! At the moment, I suspect Caroline's main focus is strength conditioning something she does/did not like but I think she is smart enough to know it's matter of life and death for her skating career.