Caroline Zhang - Can She Regain Her Spot Among The Top US Ladies? | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Caroline Zhang - Can She Regain Her Spot Among The Top US Ladies?

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
How do coaches usually deal with skaters who want to try ambitious jumps?

Kwan and Oppegard are legit and I'm sure they will talk her out of it. It's understandable that the youngster in her wants to do all these flashy moves but the coaches have to share their wisdom and keep her on a winning path, which IMO is continuing to make the improvements that have brought her back near the top of US figure skating.

Maybe her coaches are encouraging her with this jump. We don't know otherwise.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Maybe it's just the typical press statement. As I said EVERY high level lady skater says they're working on the 3A at some point (including Kwan) but very few back it up with even a credible attempt in competition or official practices. Maybe "working" on the 3A is Peter's and Karen's way of fixing her 2A.

krenseby

Final Flight
Maybe it's just the typical press statement. As I said EVERY high level lady skater says they're working on the 3A at some point (including Kwan) but very few back it up with even a credible attempt in competition or official practices. Maybe "working" on the 3A is Peter's and Karen's way of fixing her 2A.

Is there way for her coaches to link jump training to stroking practice. Kind of like, oh Caroline to get a really good entry on that jump you need to practice your edges?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I guess I could see if she works on the 3A in a harness she could learn to get more height for her 2A. It's just frustrating to hear that she wants to attempt the jump because she has almost closed the gap between her and the skaters ahead of her. A better 2A won't get as many points as improving her skating skills, and being able to do a LP 2 flips and a 3/3 would put her on par (jump-wise) with the best in the world.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I guess I am just glad to let Caroline be enthusiastic about skating/ready to work/not WANTING a break. And if she has fun working on the triple axel, go for it! Yes, sure, those other things mentioned are more important for her skill set, but I hear a skater who, after all these ups and downs, is still wanting to get out there and skate, and work at it, daily. Go, Caroline!

mskater93

Record Breaker
Is there way for her coaches to link jump training to stroking practice. Kind of like, oh Caroline to get a really good entry on that jump you need to practice your edges?
Depends on the coach. I know the highest level coach at our rink has exercises for 2A that he makes his students do when they are working on it. It teaches all kinds of control (but many of those exercises are scary looking to me and even as I approach working on 2A, those exercises will NOT be part of my regimen). I know he has three skaters who are really close to landing 2A and one exercise is to have them do 1A and 2A from outside edge rolls on a line.

krenseby

Final Flight
Depends on the coach. I know the highest level coach at our rink has exercises for 2A that he makes his students do when they are working on it. It teaches all kinds of control (but many of those exercises are scary looking to me and even as I approach working on 2A, those exercises will NOT be part of my regimen). I know he has three skaters who are really close to landing 2A and one exercise is to have them do 1A and 2A from outside edge rolls on a line.

This is kind of off-topic but as you prepare to work on your 2A, what kind of work do you need to do to get there? I wonder myself how coaches train skaters who can only do a single to do a double.

AmuChan363

Rinkside
A triple axel from Caroline? That would be something to see!

It would be! And as much as I love Caroline, (I honestly idol her.) I'm just not sure she would be able to pull it off in competition. I mean sure its fun to try new things when you're messing around at practice but knowing how the judges KNOW HER WELL, the judges will be looking REALLY closely and will gut her for the slightest underrotation (and i mean like her 3lo-3lo at nationals WAS CLEAN, and its like almost impossible to do a loop in the second combination without some prerotation.. thats how loops work? lol)

if she tries it she'll have to work on her technique and overall jumping height because it was someone like Midori Ito who flew like 4 feet into the air and span like a pencil for her to get her 3A completely rotated. Considering her body at the moment and her place in US skating, she should just focus on solidifying her 3lo-3lo, making another 3-3 consistent, getting her 2A consistent FIRST, and speed.

fscric

On the Ice
I'm happy for Caroline's progress this season when so many people have written her off last season. But shouldn't she be training to increase her speed instead?

mskater93

Record Breaker
This is kind of off-topic but as you prepare to work on your 2A, what kind of work do you need to do to get there? I wonder myself how coaches train skaters who can only do a single to do a double.
Most skaters have consistent 2+2 jumps when working on 2A's, specifically where the 2Lo is the second jump. A lot of coaches work 1A+1Lo+backspin, 1A+2Lo, 1A+backspin+2Lo and so on to get the feel of the rotation and snap needed for 2As. Depending on the coach, they may also work on *just* the step up into the Axel or *just* the snap over part.

fairly4

Medalist
i think she can do it if that is what caroline wants. she should be able to try without any kind of discouragement from anyone.

that would be like me telling mao not to do /try a triple /triple, mirai not to try to do one.
all skaters should be able to have the right to try and practice and compete with what they want with no one telling them they can't andor shouldn't.

maybe i should tell some skaters/fans favorite not to do their jumps. which is absolutely wrong.

mskater93

Record Breaker
fairly, I don't think they are saying Caroline SHOULDN'T work on the 3A, I think people are SURPRISED given the unstableness of her 2A (complete stop before take off) and that there appear to be other things that should be a higher priority in the off season (more consistency on the 3+3, better 2A, more speed and flow).

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
She has already regained it as much as what she had before. Do keep in mind she was never the top American, nor did she ever qualify for a Worlds. Right now back as the 3rd or 4th best American, that is about what she was at her previous best so to the thread title mission already accomplished. The question now is what she has to do to remain there or even possibly move up from there next year. Wagner is coming on like a freight train and is clearly the #1 American for the moment, Czisny is still a favorite of the USFSA and her future towards Sochi could still be bright if she comes through at Worlds, Gold might be the U.S next It girl, and Nagasu, Agnes, and maybe even Gao still have all the potential in the World. I would say Zhang will have to have a similar improvement as she had over the last year if she wants to be in the top 2 or 3 at Nationals next year and make Worlds for the first time. It will be anything but easy.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I remember several women talking triple axel. It seems so unlikely for her and a PR thing. Just as Sasha was training her quad but never landed her triples consistently. It is nice Caroline is confident, but I think she was likely told to say that. Caroline may feel she can be national champion but with Ashley, Agnes and Gracie next season's senior debut, I doubt it will happen. And Alissa may stick around for two years an is a USFS favorite. Christina Gao is another skater that is a slow cooker, and I'd be surprised to see her do anything much internationally. But she is young and appears dedicated. I guess anything is possible. Caroline's bronze placements are nice and everyone is thrilled for her. She did a lot of work to skate this well, rework her technique but the triple axel? Oh, come on Caroline. Work on your stroking, speed, basic skating and edges. This skater has one move that makes her special. Other than that she is slow and very cute. I get they like her, and her famous coaches. But she's wasting time she does not have and focusing on something she doesn't need. A solid triple triple is worth more, isn't it?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Working on a triple axel would be laughable. She doesnt even do more than an average double axel, even with her jump improvements. I agree she should focus on continued drastic improvements in her speed and basic skating first and foremost. As much as she gained in those areas, much more is still needed, if she even hopes to make the Sochi Olympic team.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm still not that impressed with Caroline's skating even though she deserves credit for coming back like she did. But she still is slow and not much is memorable about her skating.

LongTimeLurker

On the Ice
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a huge fan of Caroline's. Although flexible, her negative attitude in years past really turned me off. However, I loved her program at 4CC! Yes, she is still slow, but her attitude has improved by leaps and bounds, and her jump technique has come a long way. You can almost see her improved attitude in her posture. Although attitude does not win championships, it sure brought a smile to my face. Whether or not Caroline can make the further improvements needed in order to reach the US podium remains to be seen. My guess is that she will try for Sochi, and if she doesn't make it will retire and go to college.

deedee1

Record Breaker
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a huge fan of Caroline's. Although flexible, her negative attitude in years past really turned me off. However, I loved her program at 4CC! Yes, she is still slow, but her attitude has improved by leaps and bounds, and her jump technique has come a long way. You can almost see her improved attitude in her posture. Although attitude does not win championships, it sure brought a smile to my face. Whether or not Caroline can make the further improvements needed in order to reach the US podium remains to be seen. My guess is that she will try for Sochi, and if she doesn't make it will retire and go to college.

I agree!

It was Ashley that I rooted for among ladies the most at US Nats, because I love her two programs this season. Hers are smiply the best two programs among US ladies, and she really can aim for a podium finish at Worlds this year. So I got thrilled, yelled(!) and clapped all the way her free skate while watching on TV.

The actual skater, however, who made me cried out with joy was Caroline!

Yes, she has a long way to go to the top; stroking, edges, hight on jumps, overall speed, spin positions (except the layback-pearl one, of course), etc...she's still got loads of work ahead of her. But just imagine how much she has been through the last two years. While I am not a fan of her skating yet, I do admire her fighting spirit. Then another good showing at 4CC...I wondered if Mirai got to watch Caroline's performances and audience reactions, and wished she did.

When was it Shizuka won her first (and only) Worlds title? at 22, IIRC.
Then what happened 2 years later? We all remember. Right?
Both Caroline and Mirai are still very young. Don't write them off just yet, please.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think if Mirai gets her head together she's more likely to win a major championship then Caroline. Mirai just has better all around skills. It's just she needs to stop being a headcase and do the work to get better. For God sakes if Alissa can do it anyone can.