Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Caroline Zhang - Can She Regain Her Spot Among The Top US Ladies?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    hmmm...disappearing posts? I think caroline has one gorgeous move, and her skating is not special otherwise.
    First, thank RD for that.

Second, how many current skaters have even one gorgeous move? I don't think the current crop of ladies or even the juniors waiting in the wings are *that* special.

Custom Title
    see patrick chan scores, for falling and still getting high pcs scores, for trying.
    i realize he has more artistry=but when started out not, now being overly hyped his pc are too high, but notice his jumps sometimes arent so great.

for me caroline zhang has a good a shot as anyone. mirai, rachel, christina, agnes etc. didn't have great technique still is up there.
    so why not let her try in practice, the coaches and her will determine the best course of action regarding the 3a.
    she has improved in speed, height of jumps-maybe many posters haven't noticed but she has.
    yes, caroline can get up on podium again and get up there, mirai, rachel etc got up with bad technqiue when first jumped up and stayed up with not so great jumps and etc.-=why hyped up pc scores when shouldn't have. but another story.

jumps 3a she should try in practice, let her and coaches decide whether to put in competition --not for you and me to decide and debate otherwise i would debate some othe jumps, technique for the other skaters who shouldn't have put it in the competition and high pcs for not so good (artistry)

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by cornell08 View Post
    First, thank RD for that.
    For what? Don't understand...

^ You posted at the exact same time as skateluvr. I don't know exactly why, but sometimes this causes posts to disappear.

Everybody -- if you lose a long post, you can recover it by clicking again on Reply to thread, then on "autosave" in the lower left-hand corner of the text box.

Custom Title
    In the latest Inside Edge article on Icenetwork, Caroline is mentioned to have also been in Toronto for choreography with David Wilson. I'm excited to know what her programs will be! I think of Dickson, Nichol and Wilson I like Wilson for Caroline best. Rushing Wing's of Dawn flowed amazingly.

Also, is it too early to start the upcoming season's Caroline thread? I figured after Team Trophy if no one does, I shall..

Custom Title
    She's going to Wilson? Great news.

This is one skater whose progress we can actually see--increased speed, more solid jumps. Add that to her steady nerves (head case was never her problem, as far as I can tell), and I have great hopes for her this season. I vote yes for you to start a Caroline thread as soon as you deem it suitable.

Custom Title
    I think the US should have honoured with an offer to skate at the World Team. It would be good to test her out anyways.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    I think the US should have honoured with an offer to skate at the World Team. It would be good to test her out anyways.
    From the sounds of it, USFSA asked Czisny who turned it down, and Agnes and Caroline may have as well (at least for 1st alternate) since the first alternate is Vanessa Lam. Most likely before Worlds, Caroline's team figured most likely Wagner and Czisny would be going so they started working on next season's programs and booked David Wilson for a choreography session. They may be figuring that the sooner prepared Caroline is the more dominating she can be at her summer competitions and get comprehensive Champs Camp feedback in case anything needs to be reworked. From what we've seen in the past, Caroline has shown herself to not really be one to adapt to new programs quickly...with Ave Maria and Dvorak its apparent she really grows into the program after having them for a while. The last time she was really competitive, her season stretched through World Team Trophy and may not have given her enough time to absorb fully and become comfortable with her new programs, and that season saw a Caroline that seemed mostly preoccupied with choreography and less emotionally invested and expressive. We can only assume the more out of her comfort zone her new program is, the more time she'll need to really own it. I know I've been waiting for a program to really break out from her usual repertoire, so I hope this is it
    Last edited by cornell08; 04-11-2012 at 07:29 PM.

Custom Title
    There is a long discussion on this subject over at FSUniverse. Apparently, the USFSA asked several girls to be on the team, including Agnes and Caroline. They appear to have even asked Alissa. We don't know in what order they were asked.

Down With It
    We only know for sure that Czisny was asked (it was mentioned in a Detroit Free Press article). We don't know how many others were asked (if any) before they got to Gold.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    We only know for sure that Czisny was asked (it was mentioned in a Detroit Free Press article). We don't know how many others were asked (if any) before they got to Gold.
    Do you think it was good that she refused?

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by krenseby View Post
    Do you think it was good that she refused?
    Not even sure why USFS asked in the first place!

But...this thread is about Zhang.

Custom Title
    I wonder whether some of these supposed calls from the USFSA were just inquiries about a skater's availability, rather than actual offers for the WTT.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Deductive reasoning has me thinking that the top 4 finishers at nationals were asked to participate in WTT. Ashley (who is on a roll) was first choice for a place on the team and luckily she agreed to attend. As for the 2nd spot, they had a lot of options but Vanessa Lam being selected as the alternate speaks volumes as to who was available and who wasn't. Why would the USFSA skip over three internationally experienced senior level skaters for an alternate who has never competed senior internationally? My guess is they asked:

Caroline (4th): Given her performances at nationals and 4CC, she was probably the first choice. Caroline performs well internationally and why not give her another opportunity to show the judges that she's getting back to form. Obviously, she'd already wrapped her season and was in the process of getting started on next season...it's safe to assume she passed.

Agnes (3rd): She'd have been my 2nd choice after Caroline. Agnes is a gamble but her big jumps and solid skills would give her a good chance to compete among the other ladies. Judging by her not being selected to the team or even as alternate, I'm thinking she declined as well.

Alissa (2nd): We heard from her that she was asked to attend. If Caroline and Agnes turned down the offer, they asked Alissa 3rd...probably the USFSA's attempt to give Alissa a chance to save face after that mortifying experience at worlds. After all, there's always a chance she could have given a good skate and been in the medal hunt. But I didn't think she'd be ready to get back on ice that soon anyway...so she declined.

Pass those three, I doubt if the others were considered:

- Christina (5th): Hasn't earned enough reputation to be a factor internationally...
    - Rachael (6th): Busy in school and doesn't have the same rep with the judges anymore...
    - Mirai (7th): She's not really practicing, almost coachless, and her last outing didn't inspire much confidence...

Past Mirai, all of the skaters are juniors/unknowns. Without an available/reliable senior level entrant, the USFSA might as well invest in their future a bit. Gracie's the US junior champ and was the top US finisher from junior worlds so send her in that 2nd spot. As for the alternate, they went with the top US junior of the JGP season: Vanessa Lam.

That's my reasoning anyway...
    Last edited by kwanatic; 04-12-2012 at 12:48 PM.

Custom Title
    Oh, I just assumed they wanted Gold to start getting some experience/cred at the senior level & saw the WTT as a relatively safe way to do that.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast