Caroline Zhang - Can She Regain Her Spot Among The Top US Ladies? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Caroline Zhang - Can She Regain Her Spot Among The Top US Ladies?

Nadine

Record Breaker
In answer to the question posed in the title: Y-E-S, she just proved it in heroic style by capturing the bronze medal at 4CC with two exquisite programs; one highlighted by a FAB 3R/3R combo., the only ONE in the world doing it today. :bow: :thumbsup: :love: :rock:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Wow, I am very happy to hear Caroline skated so well, doing the hardst 3x3 of any current lady, I believe on the circuit today. I looked for her sp, but did not find on Youtube. The LP feed I had from Canada was so small, I could not figure out how to expand...tried what fe buttons, anyway, I am watching movies, listening to coverage re Whitney and looking at you tube vids that are available. Have seen Patricks wonderful SP, Daisukes's Mao's lovely offering, and Ashley's great Sp. Just a two foot on the triple combo, but skated with verve and passion. I just loved her SP as usual. I guess I will read the comp folder to see who won the events.

Go Caroline! A shame she can't skate in Worlds.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congratulations Caroline your hard work and determination has paid off!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Yes, congrats to Zhang on that bronze medal- again, proving she's on her way back. Her score would have been competitive at Worlds too, mid-top 10 range. Man, I feel they should make her the first alternate now over Zawadzki....(likely too late for that though)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
It is great to see Caroline's comeback but next year will be a bloodbath for the U.S women, probably the toughest battle in many years. With Wagner, Czisny, Gold, Zhang, Agnes, possibly Nagasu and Gao all in the hunt for 3 (or 2 but I expect 3) spots to Worlds it will take a huge effort for Caroline, but not impossible seeing the strides she made this season.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Wow, I am very happy to hear Caroline skated so well, doing the hardst 3x3 of any current lady, I believe on the circuit today. I looked for her sp, but did not find on Youtube. The LP feed I had from Canada was so small, I could not figure out how to expand...tried what fe buttons, anyway, I am watching movies, listening to coverage re Whitney and looking at you tube vids that are available. Have seen Patricks wonderful SP, Daisukes's Mao's lovely offering, and Ashley's great Sp. Just a two foot on the triple combo, but skated with verve and passion. I just loved her SP as usual. I guess I will read the comp folder to see who won the events.

Go Caroline! A shame she can't skate in Worlds.

Caroline's SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKREKXr3Jmg

R.D.

Record Breaker
Umm, I know Wagner won and everything, but let's not get excited yet for the 3 spots. I keep flashing back to 2010, how it was a sure shot that Flatt & Nagasu would do it and look what happened...

krenseby

Final Flight
Woohoo! I'm really in cloud nine right now after Caroline's spectacular showing in 4CC.

Yes, it's just WOW... no better word to describe it. That said, I did notice her huge PCS gap with the ladies ahead of her. But that's discussion for another day.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Umm, I know Wagner won and everything, but let's not get excited yet for the 3 spots. I keep flashing back to 2010, how it was a sure shot that Flatt & Nagasu would do it and look what happened...

I never thought that at the time. Nagasu almost never skates as well as she did at the 2010 Olympics, and Flatt skated her best at those Olympics and came 7th. Even with Rochette out of Worlds I thought it was on the bubble for 3 spots.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
For some reason I have a good feeling about Ashley doing her part to get back our 3 spots. She really doesn't hold back. She attacks the jumps but also stays in character. That spiral in the LP is growing on me as well; I like that she tries to do something interesting with her arms in the spiral since they all kind of look the same otherwise.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Yes, congrats to Zhang on that bronze medal- again, proving she's on her way back. Her score would have been competitive at Worlds too, mid-top 10 range. Man, I feel they should make her the first alternate now over Zawadzki....(likely too late for that though)

It's so confounding how limited spots are at Worlds in this sport. Needs to be changed, needs to be changed, needs to be changed.

Zhang should be making her second trip to Worlds this year. She deserved to be 3rd at Nationals and, as in 2009, it's ridiculous how the USA only has 2 spots and how a skater who has performed so well at a BIG international event is not allowed to actually compete at Worlds.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I am so happy for Caroline. She has really made a comeback. I hope she can make it to Worlds next year. :rock:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

Man, need a parade to go with that rain?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Man, need a parade to go with that rain?

Ha, sorry to be a wet blanket and all, but I'm just tired of getting my hopes up and then having them dashed due to some unforeseen circumstance. It's happened TWICE now. Nagasu's unbelievable meltdown in 2010- if she'd just stood up on the 2A, she'd be 3rd and 3+9=12 :bang: and then Flatt's injury (a.k.a. "tibiagate") in 2011. She could have managed 8th place if healthy/sent Nagasu as the alternate instead. And although I didn't include it, let's not forget Czisny's craptastic meltdown in 2009 which cost us that 3rd Oly spot in Vancouver (and 3rd spot at Torino worlds, too)

Yes, Wagner is doing well at the moment but even putting aside the possible issue of her peaking early, it still takes TWO to tango- and Czisny hasn't really shown me this season why I should put complete faith and trust in her.

I'm just hoping deep down the two of them go out there and prove me the heck wrong...

Back to Zhang- yes, I believe with this showing she's truly earned 1st alternate status at worlds...

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
It's so confounding how limited spots are at Worlds in this sport. Needs to be changed, needs to be changed, needs to be changed.

Zhang should be making her second trip to Worlds this year. She deserved to be 3rd at Nationals and, as in 2009, it's ridiculous how the USA only has 2 spots and how a skater who has performed so well at a BIG international event is not allowed to actually compete at Worlds.

I agree. The best skaters should be at Worlds, regardless of Nationality. Or at the very least some countries should be allowed to send up to 5.

Zhang during her contending years has always been received more favorably by international judges than National judges, and that doesnt appear to be any different now.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Ha, sorry to be a wet blanket and all, but I'm just tired of getting my hopes up and then having them dashed due to some unforeseen circumstance. It's happened TWICE now. Nagasu's unbelievable meltdown in 2010- if she'd just stood up on the 2A, she'd be 3rd and 3+9=12 :bang: and then Flatt's injury (a.k.a. "tibiagate") in 2011. She could have managed 8th place if healthy/sent Nagasu as the alternate instead. And although I didn't include it, let's not forget Czisny's craptastic meltdown in 2009 which cost us that 3rd Oly spot in Vancouver (and 3rd spot at Torino worlds, too)

Yes, Wagner is doing well at the moment but even putting aside the possible issue of her peaking early, it still takes TWO to tango- and Czisny hasn't really shown me this season why I should put complete faith and trust in her.

I'm just hoping deep down the two of them go out there and prove me the heck wrong...

Back to Zhang- yes, I believe with this showing she's truly earned 1st alternate status at worlds...

The U.S made a huge mistake sending Flatt to Worlds last year. It was clear she was finished, and being as she and Nagasu didnt skate much differently at Nationals they should have made sure it was Nagasu. I remember people on this forum crowing to me that Flatt had made it after I declared (still correctly it turned out) her finished around New Years time of 2011, and I warned be careful what you wish for as the U.S just ensured themselves not getting back the 3 spots and how right I was.

2009 was also a big mistakes, holding up a 3 triple Czisny at Nationals over Flatt and Zhang who each did 7 triples at Nationals and were both peaking heading into Worlds at that point. Especialy when Czisny had proven nothing internationally in years at that point.

The U.S Nationals judges are responsible for the U.S not gaining 3 spots those years. They always sent one bad apple at the time that was never going to pan out for them.

2010 was just sad. This is the only year it should have happened and didnt. The other years since 2007 it was expected it would not happen with the teams they chose (often unwisely) to send.

Last edited: