Thread: European Ladies

European Ladies

It was nice to see Caro riding her majestic wave once again on her way to quite likely gold again at worlds. I was happy for Kiira but especially for little Elene. She seems to be gaining confidence from Orser and while I have found her falls frustrating in the past, she skates with passion when on. I really like her LP this season.

The one who I thought should have been second was Polina, the tall beautiful Russian girl. Russia is so deep in female talent, one wonders if they will push the Japanese ladies off the podium. Sochi promises to be a great Olympics for ladies skating. Making the team in Russia will be so difficult and heartbeaking if these young women continue to perform. I love this elegant Polina. My favorite Russian lady seems to change every competition! It was nice to see her coach V Volchkova. 7 triples and perfect and she is 4th!... so many interesting ladies in Europe now. More to watch!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    It was nice to see Caro riding her majestic wave once again on her way to quite likely gold again at worlds. I was happy for Kiira but especially for little Elene. She seems to be gaining confidence from Orser and while I have found her falls frustrating in the past, she skates with passion when on. I really like her LP this season.
    I wonder how Elene compares against Christina. Both train with Orser and yet Elene was already a very mature skater coming to him, whereas Christina was not. Most people would probably favor Elene over Christina as the better skater, but I actually enjoy Christina's skating.

This is the first year I like Christina Gao. She is growing into her body and she skated well at nationals, though I am thinking Sp and don't even remember the Lp, so that says she has a long way to go. I like Elene as she works hard and it's a big deal for Georgia to be on podium. Elene is very musical

Banned
    I will say this, Europe has a bright future in the Ladies
    Carolina is the Queen of Europe but after she retires there are more than enough to fill her shoes and even better
    Polina Korobeynikova, Julia Lipnitskaya, Adelina Sotnikova, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva and there will be other amazing skaters coming !

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Carolina is the Queen of Europe but after she retires there are more than enough to fill her shoes and even better
    Polina Korobeynikova, Julia Lipnitskaya, Adelina Sotnikova, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva and there will be other amazing skaters coming !
    Russia has a bright future, not exactly Europe!
    I have some hope in France (Mae Berenice Meite and Yretha Silethe) and Belgium (Ira Vannut). Maybe some Russian girls want to switch nationality to Belarus, Ukraine or Georgia? Didn't one of these Russian wonders (not mentioned in this thread) have a pure Georgian surname (-shvili/-dze/-ani)? Where is she?
    Last edited by gio; 02-02-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    It was nice to see her coach V Volchkova. 7 triples and perfect and she is 4th!... so many interesting ladies in Europe now. More to watch!
    Wait, Victoria Volchkova is still skating? She's been around forever!...did I miss-read this?

Custom Title
    No, Volchova didn't skate. She is coaching Polina and was with her at Euros.

Quote Originally Posted by dwiggin3 View Post
    Wait, Victoria Volchkova is still skating? She's been around forever!...did I miss-read this?
    ***edited... gio beat me to it

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gio View Post
    Russia has a bright future, not exactly Europe!
    I have some hope in France (Mae Berenice Meite and Yretha Silethe) and Belgium (Ira Vannut). Maybe some Russian girls want to switch nationality to Belarus, Ukraine or Georgia? Didn't one of these Russian wonders (not mentioned in this thread) have a pure Georgian surname (-shvili/-dze/-ani)? Where is she?
    did you mean Elene Gedevanishvili
    well she skated before in Russia but switched skating for Georgia.

Custom Title
    did you mean Elene Gedevanishvili
    well she skated before in Russia but switched skating for Georgia.
    Nope, Gedevanishvili is one of my favourite skaters, I know her very well.

Some time ago somebody mentioned a very young Russian skater (11-13 years) that was considered one of the Russians wonders, but less strong than the others. I looked at the Russian Nat thread but I didn't find her. Maybe she has abandoned the sport already. IIRC her surname was Georgian. The name was it Nicole maybe?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gio View Post
    Nope, Gedevanishvili is one of my favourite skaters, I know her very well.

Some time ago somebody mentioned a very young Russian skater (11-13 years) that was considered one of the Russians wonders, but less strong than the others. I looked at the Russian Nat thread but I didn't find her. Maybe she has abandoned the sport already. IIRC her surname was Georgian. The name was it Nicole maybe?
    Nikol Gosviani, I suppose.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by champs View Post
    Nikol Gosviani, I suppose.
    Yes, it's her!! Thank you! Where is she now? Is she still competing? Injured?

Custom Title
    Without Russia Europe is rather weak as always.