Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Worlds podium?

Hybrid View

Worlds podium?

I still think it will be Caro unless there's a meltdown and she is not melting this year, with Mao or Akiko, 2 and 3.

Chan for sure, Dai and maybe Jeremy Abbott. I thought Fernandez but he will be smarting maybe from Euros. Or Artur into 3rd. But Florent may skate great in France so he may be bronze.

Dance ? How do they choose? D/W. V/M the Shibs are my favorires along with Weaver/Poje. But I don't watch much Ice dance.

Pairs-I don't know as I don't know whats going on with Robin/Aliona-are they healthy and competing or are they out? V/T are who I like most. Then I guess Kavaguti/Smirnov.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    I still think it will be Caro unless there's a meltdown and she is not melting this year, with Mao or Akiko, 2 and 3.

Chan for sure, Dai and maybe Jeremy Abbott. I thought Fernandez but he will be smarting maybe from Euros. Or Artur into 3rd. But Florent may skate great in France so he may be bronze.

Dance ? How do they choose? D/W. V/M the Shibs are my favorires along with Weaver/Poje. But I don't watch much Ice dance.

Pairs-I don't know as I don't know whats going on with Robin/Aliona-are they healthy and competing or are they out? V/T are who I like most. Then I guess Kavaguti/Smirnov.
    It'll be interesting to see how Mao and Caro match up!

Custom Title
    I heard Javier doesn't really have good work ethics....I am going to guess he'll be 5th or 6th. For some reason, I think Michael Brezina will fight off the "4th place curse" and raise to the occasion and win Bronze. Although, I am reserving bronze for Yuzuru Hanyu :P If he can skate two clean programs, he WILL be on the podium. But of course, this is dependent on the results of all the other guy's...

If everyone skates clean, this is the men's podium:

Gold: Patrick Chan
    Silver: Daisuke Takahashi
    Bronze: Jeremy Abbott

Ladies:

Gold: Mao Asada
    Silver: Carolina Kostner
    Bronze: Akiko Suzuki

I see Alissa Czinsy in fourth place

Ice Dance

Gold: Virtue/Moir
    Silver: Davis/White (I sense it will be very close between the top two teams...if neither team makes a major mistake)
    Bronze: Weaver/Poje

Pairs

Don't really watch, but I think it will be the Russian team who won Europeans.

Custom Title
    Ill go with
    1) Mao
    2) Caro
    3) Alena

I can't see the judges placing Caro first with her jump content unless Mao has a meltdown in the LP. Alena will get (IMO undeservedly) high PCS and she is fully capable of staying on her feet. I just think that the pressure will get to Alyssa, knowing that this is her best chance to win with no Yuna, no Miki, and no young Russians. I hope I'm wrong because she really has two wonderful programs. I think Ashley will be relatively clean but doesn't have the experience or reputation to challenge for the podium.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    II think Ashley will be relatively clean but doesn't have the experience or reputation to challenge for the podium.
    I feel that this is so sad. Ashley deserves a chance to be taken seriously! She is a good skater and if she skates her programs to their full potential, then I would be very disappointed to see the judges not giving her due credit.

Banned
    Men:

Patrick Chan
    Daisuke Takahashi
    Yuzuru Hanyu

Ladies:

Mao Asada
    Carolina Kostner ( like the inconsistent Kostner is, her meltdown of course from bigger events and added pressure )
    Akiko Suzuki

hoping for the lovely and very talented skater Polina K.( but I don't want to put her on bronze as to not spoil her chances and jynx her )

Ice Dance:

Davis/White
    Virtue/Moir
    Pechalat/Bourzat

Pairs:

Volosozhar/Trankov
    Savchenko/Szolokowy
    Kavaguti/Smirnov

I am greedy ... I want all my favourites to be on the podium no matter what colour the medal. Dai, Chan, Fernandez, Kozuka, Mao, Carol, Akiko! (Oppsl four men .. sigh ..one will have to settle for no colour)

Custom Title
    With Kostner not pushing herself technically at all anymore so much of the pressure has just vanished and she has been so clean consistently. I don't think there is meltdown potential with her now.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    I really wish people would make it clear whether their lists are what they hope for, or what they predict will happen. Welp, my predictions:

Almost guaranteed to be on the podium:
    Men:
    Chan (probably gold)
    Takahashi (probably silver)
    Bronze is wide open

Women:
    Carolina Kostner (probably gold)
    Mao Asada (probably will podium, but silver or bronze seems equally likely)
    Akiko Suzuki (probably will podium, but silver or bronze seems equally likely)

Ice Dance:
    Davis/White (almost certainly gold)
    Virtue/Moir (almost certainly silver)
    Péchalat/Bourzat (almost certainly bronze)

Pairs:
    Volosozhar/Trankov (probably gold or silver, but I'll give them a slight edge with the momentum from the EC and because I think they have better technique)
    Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy (probably gold or silver)
    Kavaguti/Smirnov

Things I'm hoping for:

That Yuzuru Hanyu gets on the podium. Which he has a reasonable shot at. He's certainly one of the contenders for bronze.

That Akiko Suzuki wins gold. This is also pretty reasonable, considering Akiko's technical content and her relative consistency in this and past seasons.

That Alissa Czisny wins gold. This is almost impossible, and may require the rest of the field to have a total meltdown. Barring that, for Alissa to podium. That's achievable, but would require Alissa to skate great and for either Caro, Akiko or Mao to meltdown.

That Péchalat/Bourzat doesn't get on the podium. This would require some major mistakes from them. It happened last year at worlds, but it's very unlikely to repeat. Still, I loathe their free skate this season, and dislike their SD. And the move where Bouzat does a flip with an assist from Péchalat results in some hideous positions. I would really rather not see this rewarded.

That the Shibutanis win bronze, again, just to throw it in the faces of all the haters. This would require quite a few teams to make major mistakes, though, like last year. Extremely unlikely.

Custom Title
    What I WANT to happen at Worlds:

Daisuke Takahashi to win gold...for obvious reasons, as well as to witness pangtongfan's reaction if this happens

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post

Daisuke Takahashi to win gold...for obvious reasons, as well as to witness pangtongfan's reaction if this happens
    If this happens, I suspect Daisuke might decide to retire and past on the throne to Yuzuru :D

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post

He'd fall 6 times like this: And if Takahashi or anyone other then Chan won Olympics gold, he'd fall 10 times of this

For ladies, I think it will be Mao, Carolina and Akiko, in that order. I can't really see anyone else up there at this point. Alissa and Kiira are too inconsistent, and I'm not sure if Ashley W's consistency is here to stay. Viktoria Helgesson is skating well but I don't think she's world podium material yet. The Canadian ladies are not skating clean. Leonova is injured, Makarova hasn't been at her best.. actually Korobeynikova is an outside shot, but a very outside shot.

For men, Chan's going to win for sure unless he has a TOTAL meltdown in both the SP and the LP. I think Takahashi and Gachinski will take the other two spots on the podium, probably in that order. The dark horse is Abbott, maybe Fernandez and Amodio too. There's Nan Song also to watch. If Plushenko was going to skate, I would probably predict him in second place, behind Chan, but from what I hear he's still not coming..

Pairs is going to be a fight between V/T and S/S, if S/S don't compete or are hampered too much by injury to skate well then it will go to V/T. I think K/S will be on the podium and Bazarova/Larionov as well if S/S don't skate. I know K/S are injured too but there hasn't been talk of them not skating at Worlds that I've heard while there have been worries about S/S not skating. Outside shots: Duhamel/Radford, Denney/Coughlin, Zhangs.

For dance I think Davis/White will take it with Virtue/Moir in second. The bronze is probably going to go to Pechalat/Bourzat if they don't fall, but Weaver/Poje, the Shibs, and to a lesser extent Bobrova/Soloviev and Ilinykh/Katsalapov will be in the mix.
    Last edited by blue_idealist; 02-04-2012 at 12:22 AM.

Custom Title
    There is my fantasy choice and realistic.

REALISTIC

Pairs

Gold S and S from German
    Silver V and T from Russia
    Bronze Chinese team

Men

Gold - Takahashi
    Silver Chan
    Bronze Abbott

DANCE

Gold - Davis and Whie
    Silver - Virtue and Moir
    Bronze - P and B France

(This doesn't sound nice but P and B should take the bronze and run because you have Shibutani's, Weaver and Poje, Two or maybe three Russians and Italians all about to pass them.

Ladies

GOld - Kostner
    Silver - Wagner
    Bronze - Asada

Fantasy pics

Pairs

Gold - Kavaguti and Smirnov
    Silver - V and T
    Bronze S and S

Men

Gold- Patrick Chan
    Silver - Takahashi