Worlds podium? | Golden Skate

Worlds podium?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I still think it will be Caro unless there's a meltdown and she is not melting this year, with Mao or Akiko, 2 and 3.

Chan for sure, Dai and maybe Jeremy Abbott. I thought Fernandez but he will be smarting maybe from Euros. Or Artur into 3rd. But Florent may skate great in France so he may be bronze.

Dance ? How do they choose? D/W. V/M the Shibs are my favorires along with Weaver/Poje. But I don't watch much Ice dance.

Pairs-I don't know as I don't know whats going on with Robin/Aliona-are they healthy and competing or are they out? V/T are who I like most. Then I guess Kavaguti/Smirnov.

krenseby

Final Flight
I still think it will be Caro unless there's a meltdown and she is not melting this year, with Mao or Akiko, 2 and 3.

Chan for sure, Dai and maybe Jeremy Abbott. I thought Fernandez but he will be smarting maybe from Euros. Or Artur into 3rd. But Florent may skate great in France so he may be bronze.

Dance ? How do they choose? D/W. V/M the Shibs are my favorires along with Weaver/Poje. But I don't watch much Ice dance.

Pairs-I don't know as I don't know whats going on with Robin/Aliona-are they healthy and competing or are they out? V/T are who I like most. Then I guess Kavaguti/Smirnov.

It'll be interesting to see how Mao and Caro match up!

Becki

Medalist
I heard Javier doesn't really have good work ethics....I am going to guess he'll be 5th or 6th. For some reason, I think Michael Brezina will fight off the "4th place curse" and raise to the occasion and win Bronze. Although, I am reserving bronze for Yuzuru Hanyu :p If he can skate two clean programs, he WILL be on the podium. But of course, this is dependent on the results of all the other guy's...

If everyone skates clean, this is the men's podium:

Gold: Patrick Chan
Silver: Daisuke Takahashi
Bronze: Jeremy Abbott

Ladies:

Gold: Mao Asada
Silver: Carolina Kostner
Bronze: Akiko Suzuki

I see Alissa Czinsy in fourth place

Ice Dance

Gold: Virtue/Moir
Silver: Davis/White (I sense it will be very close between the top two teams...if neither team makes a major mistake)
Bronze: Weaver/Poje

Pairs

Don't really watch, but I think it will be the Russian team who won Europeans.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Ill go with
1) Mao
2) Caro
3) Alena

I can't see the judges placing Caro first with her jump content unless Mao has a meltdown in the LP. Alena will get (IMO undeservedly) high PCS and she is fully capable of staying on her feet. I just think that the pressure will get to Alyssa, knowing that this is her best chance to win with no Yuna, no Miki, and no young Russians. I hope I'm wrong because she really has two wonderful programs. I think Ashley will be relatively clean but doesn't have the experience or reputation to challenge for the podium.

krenseby

Final Flight
II think Ashley will be relatively clean but doesn't have the experience or reputation to challenge for the podium.

I feel that this is so sad. Ashley deserves a chance to be taken seriously! She is a good skater and if she skates her programs to their full potential, then I would be very disappointed to see the judges not giving her due credit.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Men:

Patrick Chan
Daisuke Takahashi
Yuzuru Hanyu

Ladies:

Mao Asada
Carolina Kostner ( like the inconsistent Kostner is, her meltdown of course from bigger events and added pressure )
Akiko Suzuki

hoping for the lovely and very talented skater Polina K.( but I don't want to put her on bronze as to not spoil her chances and jynx her )

Ice Dance:

Davis/White
Virtue/Moir
Pechalat/Bourzat

Pairs:

Volosozhar/Trankov
Savchenko/Szolokowy
Kavaguti/Smirnov

macy

Record Breaker
for ladies, i'd say

1. mao
2. carolina
3. akiko or alissa
4. leonova

snejina

Rinkside
Ice Dance:
Virtue/Moir
Davis/White
Pechalat/Bourzat

Pairs:
Savchenko/Szolokowy
Volosozhar/Trankov
Kavaguti/Smirnov

Ladies:
Mao Asada
Carolina Costner
Akiko Suzuki

This is not from expertise but from hope: Mao and Daisuke for singles, S/S for pairs. I know that Mao is likelier to win than Daisuke is, because Patrick is so good, but there's a special spot in my heart for Dai. Gotta root for him.

Of course with the injury, Savchenko and Szolkowy are a complete cipher this year, and besides, V/T are so good. But I love S/S's innovation and maturity.

Even just subjectively, I can't decide about ice dance. Both of the top couples are so stunning, and I love them both. I guess I choose D/W this year because of that glorious Die Fledermaus program, which deserves to be immortalized.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I feel that this is so sad. Ashley deserves a chance to be taken seriously! She is a good skater and if she skates her programs to their full potential, then I would be very disappointed to see the judges not giving her due credit.

Does she have the head for high-pressure competition though? While Wagner has done well for herself so far, keep in mind she's been chasing all this time. Let's see how she does at Four Continents- although I'm not going to hold my breath for worlds either way, even if she wins.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Ashley has gained much confidence and with Nicks, her psychologist and her new title, expect a very good skate at Worlds. My question is, how wil she be rec'd and scored there? Fairly? Reputation scoring is always there at the big events. CoP hasn't changed that.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Ashley has gained much confidence and with Nicks, her psychologist and her new title, expect a very good skate at Worlds. My question is, how wil she be rec'd and scored there? Fairly? Reputation scoring is always there at the big events. CoP hasn't changed that.

I think this will slightly depend on 4CC but for my part I think she just has to skate clean. Even if the judges hold her down a bit, with a relatively clean skate at Worlds (and ideally please at 4CC she will be poised to come out next year and make a big splash, and will almost certainly be scored higher then. Sometimes that's just how it is- better this is happening now than in an Oly year.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Worlds are in Europe. They are Kostner's to lose. She nearly won the 2008 Worlds with 5 major mistakes, at the time when Asada and Kim were the dominant 2. Asada without the triple axel wont beat a reasonably good Kostner even lutzless unless she skates lights out. Czisny can win the bronze or even better possibly if she puts it together but probably wont. Suzuki has the best shot to round at the podium with a bronze or better as she is reliable. After her bad Europeans I highly doubt Leonova will medal. The new Russian we saw at Europeans is a bigger threat. Wagner could do the performance of her life and I cant see the judges giving her a medal, 5thish at best. Czisny and Wagner both need to skate fairly well to ensure 3 spots though.

For men Chan will win even with 6 falls, and it is highly unlikely he will have 6 as he seems to be getting over his early season funk. I actually have a feeling he might have a great performance like last years Worlds. Of course how he skates is irrelevant to result as has been shown many times, the golds are engraved with his name even if he sits on the ice and takes a dump and skates off, but it is still much nicer to see him skate really well and actually earn his wins and I have a feeling that might happen here. Takahashi has skated well this year and will take silver most likely. Abbott could win silver or bronze if he can keep his U.S Nationals form, I have my fingers crossed. If not I think it will be Fernandez who I expect to recover from Europeans, Kozuka, or Hanyu. Gaschinski will not medal even with a great skate.

In pairs I see Volosozhar & Trankov defeating Savchenko & Szolkowy for the gold. The Germans barely held them at the GP final but wont be able to here. The bronze will go to one of Pang & Tong if they skate or Kavaguti & Smirnov. If the Germans cant skate at Worlds due to injury those two teams will fight for silver. No remaining medal contenders unless the Germans and Pang & Tong both miss Worlds, in which case Duhamel & Raford and Barazova & Larionov will fight for bronze. I dont see the Zhangs on the podium no matter what.

In dance I see Davis & White continuing their recent dominance with a 2nd World title, leaving Virtue & Moir with the silver. Pechalat & Bourzat on their home ice are a lock for bronze barring a major splat.

spikydurian

Medalist
I am greedy ... I want all my favourites to be on the podium no matter what colour the medal. Dai, Chan, Fernandez, Kozuka, Mao, Carol, Akiko! :) (Oppsl four men .. sigh ..one will have to settle for no colour):disapp:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
To pangtongfan

Well, you are right, this is Caro's year and only Asada lights out with the sympathy vote can take Caro's away. It does matter, and I'm glad you said it, this is Europe and the European judges will hold up Caro. This would be her first gold and Mao has two already, so we know how these things go. As reasoned as every other statement is, you seem intent on really infuriating Patrick's ubers though they are now officially ignoring you. Since I started the thread, it is crazy to think Chan can have 6 falls and you really should edit your post as it is offensive. Not about the falls but the gross, inappropriate bathroom humor. Please show some manners and do so. We are gentle men and gentle women here. Thank you.:mad:

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I still think Caro is very much a wildcard and she will have to skate reallllllly well to beat Mao. The problem with Caro is she can fall or pop literally any jump at any time, and Mao is usually somewhat steady and peaks at Worlds. Being in Europe can also be a factor that hurts Caro if it adds more pressure.

gmyers

Record Breaker
With Kostner not pushing herself technically at all anymore so much of the pressure has just vanished and she has been so clean consistently. I don't think there is meltdown potential with her now.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I really wish people would make it clear whether their lists are what they hope for, or what they predict will happen. Welp, my predictions:

Almost guaranteed to be on the podium:
Men:
Chan (probably gold)
Takahashi (probably silver)
Bronze is wide open

Women:
Carolina Kostner (probably gold)
Mao Asada (probably will podium, but silver or bronze seems equally likely)
Akiko Suzuki (probably will podium, but silver or bronze seems equally likely)

Ice Dance:
Davis/White (almost certainly gold)
Virtue/Moir (almost certainly silver)
Péchalat/Bourzat (almost certainly bronze)

Pairs:
Volosozhar/Trankov (probably gold or silver, but I'll give them a slight edge with the momentum from the EC and because I think they have better technique)
Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy (probably gold or silver)
Kavaguti/Smirnov

Things I'm hoping for:

That Yuzuru Hanyu gets on the podium. Which he has a reasonable shot at. He's certainly one of the contenders for bronze.

That Akiko Suzuki wins gold. This is also pretty reasonable, considering Akiko's technical content and her relative consistency in this and past seasons.

That Alissa Czisny wins gold. This is almost impossible, and may require the rest of the field to have a total meltdown. Barring that, for Alissa to podium. That's achievable, but would require Alissa to skate great and for either Caro, Akiko or Mao to meltdown.

That Péchalat/Bourzat doesn't get on the podium. This would require some major mistakes from them. It happened last year at worlds, but it's very unlikely to repeat. Still, I loathe their free skate this season, and dislike their SD. And the move where Bouzat does a flip with an assist from Péchalat results in some hideous positions. I would really rather not see this rewarded.

That the Shibutanis win bronze, again, just to throw it in the faces of all the haters. This would require quite a few teams to make major mistakes, though, like last year. Extremely unlikely.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
For ladies, I think it will be Mao, Carolina and Akiko, in that order. I can't really see anyone else up there at this point. Alissa and Kiira are too inconsistent, and I'm not sure if Ashley W's consistency is here to stay. Viktoria Helgesson is skating well but I don't think she's world podium material yet. The Canadian ladies are not skating clean. Leonova is injured, Makarova hasn't been at her best.. actually Korobeynikova is an outside shot, but a very outside shot.

For men, Chan's going to win for sure unless he has a TOTAL meltdown in both the SP and the LP. I think Takahashi and Gachinski will take the other two spots on the podium, probably in that order. The dark horse is Abbott, maybe Fernandez and Amodio too. There's Nan Song also to watch. If Plushenko was going to skate, I would probably predict him in second place, behind Chan, but from what I hear he's still not coming..

Pairs is going to be a fight between V/T and S/S, if S/S don't compete or are hampered too much by injury to skate well then it will go to V/T. I think K/S will be on the podium and Bazarova/Larionov as well if S/S don't skate. I know K/S are injured too but there hasn't been talk of them not skating at Worlds that I've heard while there have been worries about S/S not skating. Outside shots: Duhamel/Radford, Denney/Coughlin, Zhangs.

For dance I think Davis/White will take it with Virtue/Moir in second. The bronze is probably going to go to Pechalat/Bourzat if they don't fall, but Weaver/Poje, the Shibs, and to a lesser extent Bobrova/Soloviev and Ilinykh/Katsalapov will be in the mix.

Last edited: