Worlds podium? | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Worlds podium?

Layfan

Record Breaker
Too hard to predict except Chan and D/W for gold.
But it would be wonderful to see Alissa, Akiko and Jeremy finally earn world medals. I think and hope that Mao and Carolina will be 1. 2. or 2 .1.

romanoff81

Match Penalty
Davis and white will not win their FD just hasn`t progressed or evolved since Skate america they have less risky elements than V&M in their FD, all Virtue and moir have to do is get their levels in both programs and they win the judging panel strongly favors them this year.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Davis and white will not win their FD just hasn`t progressed or evolved since Skate america they have less risky elements than V&M in their FD, all Virtue and moir have to do is get their levels in both programs and they win the judging panel strongly favors them this year.

okay, either DW or VM for gold then. Still more predictable than the ladies.

mary01

Final Flight
why would kostner have the edge? the only edge kostner has is that she always can rely on the judges to boost her, where Mao on the other hand has to rely on her own ability like she always has... (if it's about throwing some easy tripples Mao could easily do it and win worlds but instead Mao takes the risk by doing a technically difficult program)
I soooo dearly hope that Mao graps the title and thereby peaks at worlds, it would really be a huge step backwards for the sport if kostner with her easy tripples and her PCS got to win it... and god [bless] me I soo adore Mao Asada's programs it's simply soo magical and she truly is a beautiful skater...

Last edited by a moderator:

evangeline

Record Breaker
why would kostner have the edge? the only edge kostner has is that she always can rely on the judges to boost her, where Mao on the other hand has to rely on her own ability like she always has... (if it's about throwing some easy tripples Mao could easily do it and win worlds but instead Mao takes the risk by doing a technically difficult program)
I soooo dearly hope that Mao graps the title and thereby peaks at worlds, it would really be a huge step backwards for the sport if kostner with her easy tripples and her PCS got to win it... and god damn me I soo adore Mao Asada's programs it's simply soo magical and she truly is a beautiful skater...

Carolina has better choreography, more momentum given her string of victories this season, and as of now, more stable jumps than Mao.

mary01

Final Flight
carolina choreography suck it truly sucks and she looks akward and thats the only thing that i find accurate to describe carolina with, her momentm is only causd because Mao withdraw from the GPF due to personal issues, and more stable jumps is also wrong, if you have looked carefully she repeats the same easy tripples again and again, if she had to throw a 3A 3lutz, 3sal she would be all over the ice lol

clyte

Rinkside
I feel that Mao hasn't conviction about techniques of her own yet. If she feel uneasiness during competition even for an instant, it influences performance.

Then it is my reply to this thread.(It's about the same with what I wrote to thread of contents like this, yesterday.)

【WOMEN】
1 Carolina Costner
2 Mao Asada
almost the third place
Akiko Suzuki, Alena Leonova, Ashley Wagner

【MEN】
1 Patrick Chan
2 Daisuke Takahashi
almost the third place
Takahiko Kozuka, Javier Fernandez, Artur Gashinski, Jeremy Abbott, Michal Brezina, Yuzuru Hanyu

About women, I think that Carolina's techniques and confidence are the most stable than other women's, in this season.

The first place and the second place of men will be either of Chan or Takahashi.
Then, about the third place, I paying attention to Yuzuru Hanyu. After Japan National, he improved quality of skating to make up for stamina lack and improved choreography between elements to get a better evaluations in PCS.
However, I know that of course it goes without saying that all skaters continue making an effort.
I want all of them to do their best.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
carolina choreography suck it truly sucks and she looks akward and thats the only thing that i find accurate to describe carolina with, her momentm is only causd because Mao withdraw from the GPF due to personal issues, and more stable jumps is also wrong, if you have looked carefully she repeats the same easy tripples again and again, if she had to throw a 3A 3lutz, 3sal she would be all over the ice lol

What a venomous post.

I'll just point out that she has landed the 3 salchow at Europeans and most recently at the Challenge cup - it's actually one of the triples she repeated at Europeans and is often something she does a 3 jump combination with. The rest of your commentary is not worth responding to.

K

kilyca

MEN
1. 2.Patrick Chan or Daisuke Takahashi
3.... Takahiko Kozuka, Brian Joubert, Yuzuru Hanyu, Jeremy Abbott

LADIES
1.Mao Asada
2.Carolina Kostner
3...Akiko Suzuki, Alissa Czisny , Kanako Murakami

I expect Mao's feeling return.

Patrick and Daisuke are clearly special with other skaters.
I expect Kozuka. He cited the problem of skating shoes as a cause of the disorder that was in the first half of this season, but it was already settled. He until the last season said it in this way. "the success of my quad was accidental". But he said in this way in this season. "I was able to acquire feeling (timing) when quad was certain by experience".
If adjustment of Yuzuru goes well, it's surely run a close race against.
I'm interested in a program of Kevin Reynolds too. What rank is he if there is not deduction such as underrotated? Is excited.

Last edited:

DianaSelene

Medalist

I've never been a Kostner or Asada fan. However, it is unfair to say about Kostner that if she had a 3A or 3Lz, she would be all over the ice. Well, not EVERY skater has these jumps during her career, especially the 3A. I think you can't deny, however, that even with easy jumps, Kostner has been fairly consistent the whole year.

romanoff81

Match Penalty
Kostner skates much faster than her as well i remember attending trophee Eric Bompart a few years ago when Joannie beat Mao i was astonished by how much ice coverage and speed Joannie had over her i think being slow is definitely a weakness she does not cover as much ice as some other top skaters frankly i think she`s been quite overrated in her career, her olympic program was average Joannie should have gotten the silver but those triple axels really saved her.

icellist

On the Ice
Kostner has really good skating skills so I wouldn't be surprised if she can hit an outside edge on her Lutz, but I think she chooses not to take the risk because the inside edge for the Flip feels more secure to her. Kostner has really strong and secure jumps. The only jump that looks not as natural would be her loop but still has a high success rate. I'm rather sure she can add a 3T to her 3F, 3S, 3T, or 2A. I am also a fan of her choreography. It's so different compared to all the other classical music we listen to in this sport.

I think if Kostner has this jump layout people would be less venomous about her "weak" technical elements.
SP: 3F-3T, 3S or 3L, 2A
FS: 3F-3T, 2A-3T, 3S-2T-2L, 3F, 3S, 3L, 2A or 3L

(She can either get more +GOE for her 3S or higher base value with the 3L, but this jump layout is well with her means...)
Mao's inconsistent jumping ability makes even planning a jump layout hard for her, but she receives more +GOEs on her spins than Kostner.
PCS wise: Mao is more artistic but Kostner has better skating skills and transitions. Her speed itself makes it seem like she's skating the rink numerous time, bigger presence.
and this is coming from a Mao Asada fan.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Since this thread began, much skating has happened. I still see the ladies as essentially the same except a worse placement for Alissa sadly. I think Caro has it if she does what she has been doing. She has a small jump error cushion, very small if Mao skates like Vancouver Mao, but I still think they will try hard to give it to Carolina, and I think she might continue on if she does take gold. Has she said anything about retiring after this year? It's Europe, she's Italian, she looks like a million bucks, and maybe she loses if Mao does 2-3 ratified triple axels. She should lose to Mao is Mao has the jumps, as Mao is spectacular for the ages champion. Still, Caro has gobs of confidence last two years. I kinds hope she does win, finally. If Caro is gold and mao is good, then Mao for silver. If Mao doesn't complete her axels and Akiko skates her very best, Akiko could steal the silver as elder favorite, then Mao is bronze. I see these three on podium if they do what they can. I think there is a possibility for Ashley to get bronze, but I suspect maybe 4th place with a good skate. If her double fotting comes back under pressure, then fourth. She has two great programs and she has been performing the hell out of them this season. I'd love to see Ashley pull bronze, but I have hopes for Akiko to podium. It is hard to wish mao off podium. What was Mao's worst placement in the last 3 seasons? I thinkLeonova is powerful, and I see her and Ashley battling for 4th fifth if podium IS Caro, Akiko, Mao. Alissa I see at best 5th - worst 7th. I think she will be held up. Likely last season. Then Murakami, Marchei, Hellgesson (sp) Elene, Lacoste. The last 5 I haven't thought of order. It doesn't much matter. We just have to get our 3 spots. If Ashley finishes as low as sixth, then Allisa only needs 7th spot. I am really hoping they are willing to give Ashley no lower than 4th if she doesn't get dinged for two foots or UR calls. Then Alissa could "fall" to 9 and we still get magic number 13 for 3 spots.

I hope they all stand up and may the best skaters/programs win the podium. go Ashley!!!