Worlds podium? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Worlds podium?

evangeline

Record Breaker
What I WANT to happen at Worlds:

Daisuke Takahashi to win gold...for obvious reasons, as well as to witness pangtongfan's reaction if this happens ;)

Becki

Medalist

Daisuke Takahashi to win gold...for obvious reasons, as well as to witness pangtongfan's reaction if this happens ;)

If this happens, I suspect Daisuke might decide to retire and past on the throne to Yuzuru :D

sweetskates1

Medalist
My DREAM podium:

GOLD: Jeremy Abbott
SILVER: Daisuke Takahashi
BRONZE: Javier Fernandez

The Probable Podium:

GOLD: Patrick Chan
SILVER: Jeremy Abbott
BRONZE: Daisuke Takahashi

My DREAM podium:

GOLD: Akiko Suzuki
SILVER: Mao Asada
BRONZE: Alissa Czisney

The Probable Podium:

GOLD: Mao Asada
SILVER: Akiko Suzuki
BRONZE: Carolina Costner

My DREAM podium:

GOLD: Davis/White
SILVER: Shibutani/Shibutani
BRONZE: Virtue/Moir

The Probable Podium:

GOLD: Davis/White
SILVER: Virtue/Moir
BRONZE: Pechalat/Bourzat

My DREAM podium:

GOLD: V/T
SILVER: S/S
BRONZE: M/B

The Probable Podium:
GOLD: V/T
SILVER: S/S
BRONZE: D/R

CassAgain

On the Ice
If neither of the top two teams in ice dance make a mistake, I think Davis and White will win. They have had the momentum this year. Not having an American judge on the panel will be difficult, but I think Die Fledermaus has an epic quality that will carry the day. Also barring major mistakes, I think P and B will win and deserve to win third. I won't cry too much, though, if the Shibs sneak up into the third spot again.

ivy

On the Ice
OK I'll try:

Men:

Patrick
Jeremy
Daisuke

Patrick seems a shoe in, Dai will beat Jeremy in PCS but Jeremy will squeak ahead in TES and GoE

Ladies:

Truthfully I find most of the top contenders so boring I wish they could all get gold, be happy and go retire so we can get a fresh batch in.

Mao
Allissa
Akiko

Carolyn will probably get Gold, but I just can't get into her skating so I'm not going to put her on my list.

Dance

D/W
V/M
P/B

I'm looking forward to this for sure. Will be interesting to see what happens at 4CC.

No idea for pairs - sorry to say - I used to love this discipline, but not moved by the season so far

Sort sound like a bit of an old curmudgeon, don't I?

GO SKATERS!!! Ready to be dazzled!

bekalc

Record Breaker
actually Korobeynikova is an outside shot, but a very outside shot.

I don't know. If her federation supports her; and Polina skates well; it might not be such an outside shot. Polina's two great free skates at Euros got her some attention; because it was far above what anyone else did jump wise. And lets be real that unless Asada gets her 3 axels back; that content will be far above what anyone at Worlds is going to do jump wise. The Russians want to maintain their 3 spots too; so I wouldn't be surprised if Polina gets a push heading into worlds. (Although hopefully quietly away from Polina's ears.) The key for her will be to have a clean short. If she does that with a 3flip/3toe she should score very very well. And I wouldn't be surprised if the PCS jump to the mid 7s.

If she skates like she did at Euros in qualfication. Polina will easily win qualifying too which will give the judges more room to notice her.

sweetskates1

Medalist
Hi Ivy, agreed. The ladies field is so uninspiring but Mao is truly gifted and Akiko truly special. I wish them all luck. I do not enjoy Carolina's skating at all. Every time I see the adjectives "elegant", "beautiful" and/or "artistic" attached to her name, I die a little inside.

I really believe that D/W are the better team and should win; if V/M do I will be even more upset than I was after the 2010 Olympics season. The Shibutanis and W/P should be able to be P/B but since Worlds are in Europe this year I highly doubt they will.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
My dream podiums (is the plural of podium podiums or podia?)

MEN
1. Daisuke Takahashi: Because he's an awesome enough skater to have two world titles to his credit.
2. Patrick Chan: Because I want to see pangtongfan's face if this happens. Plus I think Dai has the better two program (or more accurately, Chan's LP > Dai's LP, Dai's SP >>>>> Chan's SP)
3. Brian Joubert: Because it would be awesome to see him medal at home with The Matrix
4. Javier Fernandez: A top five position would be an indicator he improved from Euros and set him up quite nicely for the next two seasons.
5. Nan Song: Highest Chinese single skater since Chen Lu? It's been a remarkable year for the Chinese single skaters, and this would be an awesome climax.

LADIES
1. Carolina Kostner: Elegant programs, true artistic maturity, gorgeous skating skills... lets celebrate the astonishingly beautiful talent.
2. Mao Asada: Perhaps the Michelle Kwan of our time, a skater that both transcends and is conjoined to the sport.
3. Alissa Czisny and Akiko Suzuki: Yeah, I want a tie.
5. Ashley Wagner: Because I think she's clearly going for it, and it's nice to have an American skater not afraid of winning
Also, if Canada's entrant is Cynthia Phaneuf, I want her outside the top ten because of SC's monkeying around. If it's LaCoste, I want her to be in the top ten as a very assured "So there!". Yes, I'm being petty.

PAIRS
1. Savchenko/Szolkowy AND Kavaguti/Smirnov: Yeah, another tie. The two best long programs of the season in any discipline.
3. Volosozhar/Trankov: Before they enter the realm of domination.
4. Pang/Tong: Why not?
5. Duhamel/Radford: Would be awesome.

DANCE
1. Virtue/Moir: Simply the best ice dancers in the world for me. I'd love to see their programs win them a second gold medal.
2. Davis/White: Any lower would suggest they made multiple, major errors, and I don't want that, but I wouldn't mind seeing other teams beat them.
3. Pechalat/Bourzat AND Weaver/Poje: Because it'd make a nice story for P/B to medal at home. Because W/P need to medal this season or else SC will do their damndest to politick G/P above them next season.
5. Cappellinni/Lanotte: They have two terrific programs.
6. Riazanova/Tkachenko: Because I would love it if they were the top Russian team
7-9. ShibutaniShibutani/BobrovaSoloviev/IlynikhKatsalpov: Eh, whatevs - don't enjoy them much this season. Look forward to next.

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

He'd fall 6 times like this::rofl: And if Takahashi or anyone other then Chan won Olympics gold, he'd fall 10 times of this :rofl:

evangeline

Record Breaker
If this happens, I suspect Daisuke might decide to retire and past on the throne to Yuzuru :D

Actually, I don't think so. At least according to the English-language sources available, Daisuke's repeatedly reiterated his intention to stay until Sochi (yay!).

Since we're freely delving into the world of fantasy, here are my dream podiums:

MEN
1. Daisuke Takahashi - Duh. Also, as I've said earlier, I want to see Pangtongfan's reaction if this actually happens.
2. Jeremy Abbott - I want him to win a world medal as befits his talents and programs
3. Yuzuru Hanyu - a world medal should be more than sufficient to whet his appetite for bigger prizes

LADIES
1. Akiko Suzuki - because a world title would be the perfect fairy-tale climax/ending for her tumultuous career, as well as make up for all those years of lowballing
2. Carolina Kostner - love her programs, but don't want to see her jump content win a world title in 2012
3. Mao Asada - she can win a world title next year when she gets her 3As back

PAIRS
1. Savchenko/Szolkowy - because Pina is a wonderful program
2. Volosozhar/Trankov - hopefully another world silver would be incentive enough for them to ditch the Morozov choreography
3. Kavaguti/Smirnov - because Clair de Lune is a wonderful program

ICE DANCE
1. Davis/White - because I don't think anything will beat Die Fledermaus
2. Virtue/Moir - I'm not a fan of Funny Face, and their SD is looking worse with every tweak
3. Weaver/Poje - to see how Skate Canada will react to this, especially with their apparent politicking of another team. Also, Je Suis Malade is great

jettasian

Match Penalty
Dream podium for me

Men
1 Chan (duh)
2 Fernandez (my other fave skater)
3 Song (hope he can jump his way to the podium)

Dance
1 V/M (want the momentum back on their side)
2 D/W
3 W/P (my fave LP this year deserves to be on the podium)

Ladies and Pairs don't really care.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
There is my fantasy choice and realistic.

REALISTIC

Pairs

Gold S and S from German
Silver V and T from Russia
Bronze Chinese team

Men

Gold - Takahashi
Silver Chan
Bronze Abbott

DANCE

Gold - Davis and Whie
Silver - Virtue and Moir
Bronze - P and B France

(This doesn't sound nice but P and B should take the bronze and run because you have Shibutani's, Weaver and Poje, Two or maybe three Russians and Italians all about to pass them.

Ladies

GOld - Kostner
Silver - Wagner
Bronze - Asada

Fantasy pics

Pairs

Gold - Kavaguti and Smirnov
Silver - V and T
Bronze S and S

Men

Gold- Patrick Chan
Silver - Takahashi
Bronze - Gachinski

Dance

Gold Virtue and Moir
Silver Weaver and Poje
Bronze I and K Russia

Ladies

Gold - Asada
Silver - Suzuki
Bronze - Czisny

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Here are my realistic picks:

Pairs:

Gold- Volosozhar & Trankov
Silver- Savchenko & Szolkowy
Bronze- Kavaguti & Smirno

Men:

Gold- Chan
Silver- Abbott
Bronze- Takahashi

Dance:

Gold- Davis & White
Silver- Virtue & Moir
Bronze- Pechelat & Bourzat

Ladies:

Gold- Caroline Kostner
Silver- Mao Asada
Bronze- Ashley Wagner

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Ladies:

Carolina Kostner
Ashley Wagner
Mao Asada
sentimental podium: Polina Korobeynikova

Men:
Patrick Chan
Daisuke Takahashi
Yuzuru Hanyu

Pairs:
Volosozhar/Trankov
Savchenko/Szolkowy
Kavaguti/Smirnov

Ice Dance:
Virtue/Moir
Davis/White
Pechalat/Bourzat ( France )

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Fantasy picks:

Pairs:

Gold- Pang & Tong
Silver- Volsozhar & Trankov
Bronze- Duhamel & Radford

Men:

Gold- Takahashi
Silver- Verner
Bronze- Brezina

Dance:

Gold- Weaver & Poje
Silver- Pechalat & Bourzat
Bronze- dont care

Ladies:

Gold- Alissa Czisny
Silver- Ashley Wagner
Bronze- Alena Leonova

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
It hasnt been confirmed who China is sending. My guess is if Pang & Tong want to go they are a lock but I am not sure if they want to compete or not. I am not sure who they will choose between the Zhangs and Sui & Han if Pang & Tong choose to compete. So really any combination of 2 teams wouldnt surprise me. I dont think any have a chance at more than bronze though, and I dont pick any of them to even win the bronze.

fairly4

Medalist
my personal fave would be this

gold--alissa
silver--akiko
bronze--carolina kostner
why just in case ( i am not in the know, but if the "older Ladies want to stop ) they can go out with their heads held high, each with a world medal.
i think they will stay, but just in case

4th-mao
5th--ashley
6th--kiira

men--

gold--patrick
silver-daisuke
bronze--jeremy, brian

pairs-
gold s/z
silver v/trankov
bronze-pang tong

dance

gold d/w
silver v/m
bronze-p/b
4th shibutani
5th-weaver poje
6th-bobrova soliview

what i would like not what i thnk will happen, i have no clue.