2. Savchenko/Szolkowy
3. Kavaguti/Smirnov

Ice Dance:
1.Davis/White
2.Virtue/Moir
3. Pechalat/Bourzat

R.D.

Record Breaker
"Interesting" to see Wagner's name all of a sudden appearing in Worlds podium predictions. :laugh:

mskater93

Record Breaker
"Interesting" to see Wagner's name all of a sudden appearing in Worlds podium predictions. :laugh:

Mostly it's because she won the National title and then followed it up with her best performance of her career and beat one of the perenial favorites with a confident and masterful performance.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Dream Podium:

Carolina/Alissa
Akiko
Mao

Jeremy (Would love to see him as World Champion as my other 2 favorites already own a World Title)
Dai/Patrick
Kozuka

Sarchenko/Szolkowy
Kavagui/Smirnov
Volosozhar/Trankov

Meryl and Charlie
Tessa and Scott
Anna and Luca

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, if we're going to talk about HOPES rather than PREDICTIONS...how cool would it be if Czisny and Wagner went 1-2? (Riiiight...dream on, RD)

deedee1

Record Breaker
My dream podium for this season:

MEN
1 Brian Joubert
2 Daisuke Takahashi
3 Jeremy Abbott
4 Kevin VDP!!!

Just imagine if Brian can win his second World title in front of his home crowd. After such disappointing seasons for him, I want to see him smile again. I so wish him get on the podium at least.

As talented as Jeremy, he deserves and should and MUST! get on the podium once at least. Besides, I love his programs this season, both SP and LP. I think Jeremy's are the best two programs among Men this season.

As for Kevin, if it is going to be his very last competition, I wish him to skate 'lights out' that he can be very proud of, and finish strong in the standings at the Worlds in Europe.

Did not I tell you I have a soft spot for veteran guys?

Oh, and for Dai, I can settle with Silver, or even Bronze this year.
Why, I am saving every wishes of my wishes until Sochi Olympics for Dai! ^^)/

Becki

Medalist
My dream podium for this season:

MEN
1 Brian Joubert
2 Daisuke Takahashi
3 Jeremy Abbott
4 Kevin VDP!!!

Just imagine if Brian can win his second World title in front of his home crowd. After such disappointing seasons for him, I want to see him smile again. I so wish him get on the podium at least.

As talented as Jeremy, he deserves and should and MUST! get on the podium once at least. Besides, I love his programs this season, both SP and LP. I think Jeremy's are the best two programs among Men this season.

As for Kevin, if it is going to be his very last competition, I wish him to skate 'lights out' that he can be very proud of, and finish strong in the standings at the Worlds in Europe.

Did not I tell you I have a soft spot for veteran guys?

Oh, and for Dai, I can settle with Silver, or even Bronze this year.
Why, I am saving every wishes of my wishes until Sochi Olympics for Dai! ^^)/

I love your post! I hope Brian medals too....after a roller coaster season. I even want him to skate the programs of his life, win Gold and hang up his skates to become a coach :) I hope Kevin finishes in top 5 to end his career in a good light too :)

deedee1

Record Breaker
I love your post! I hope Brian medals too....after a roller coaster season. I even want him to skate the programs of his life, win Gold and hang up his skates to become a coach :) I hope Kevin finishes in top 5 to end his career in a good light too :)

Thanks Becki!

We just can't deny that younger skaters will surpass sooner or later.
They will do fine with or without our wishes, right?
Since they are still YOUNG, they can wait another year or two, including Patrick (sorry, fans!). lol

paircheck

Final Flight
pairs top ten:

1. Savchenko/Szolkowy - pina iss the best and they re burning to beat V/T because they cannont compete against them @ europeans
2. Volosozhar/Trankov - gonna be close to S/S ... but imo trankov's nerves gonna be the sticking point
3. Duhamel/Radford - high technical base value... and the best male skater in the field deserves a medal ... please skate nationals one more time :)
4. Sui/Han - well i don't like their style, technics, programmes ... but it'll be realistic
5. Bazarova/Larionov - soooorry but they have no power or style... as oldfashioned and boring as ever ...
6. Kavaguti/Smirnov - if smirnov can compete... but i don t like their programmes .. sooooorry their fp iss sooo boring.... but i can sleep soo good to it...
7. Zhang/Zhang - if Hao iss fit... and they skate such boring programmes as everytime
8. Denney/Coughlin - if the truckdriver drives on the road... possible...
9. Berton/Hotarek - if they are both fit and skate 2 clean programmes.. well, why not?
10. Takahashi/Tran - well depends on her sbs jumps...

please don't kill me, because i don't like the russian pairs as u normally do .-)

Pang/Tong imo will not compete - they need a break ...
Dube/Wolfe .. mmmmhhh top ten ? could be..
Marley/Brubaker... mmmmhhh i don' t think they have the stability for the top ten
Hausch/Wende... not this season
Vartmann/van Cleave... toooo soon

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well, if we're going to talk about HOPES rather than PREDICTIONS...how cool would it be if Czisny and Wagner went 1-2? (Riiiight...dream on, RD)

You know R.D. this hope could happen if both skated their best and Kostner, Asada made some errors. They have great qualities when they are on and clean. They are competitive with all the skaters including Kostner and Asada and probably would beat clean Suzuki, Leonova, Lepisto et al. Of course, lining up the stars for both to skate 4 programs in total clean and some errors both by Carolina and Mao might be asking a bit much.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Exactly, I feel like it's a 1 in 50 shot at best...

Of course, if one of them can get on the podium (and we can get the 3rd spot back) that'll be good enough I suppose...

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Skater boy said:
You know R.D. this hope could happen if both skated their best and Kostner, Asada made some errors. They have great qualities when they are on and clean. They are competitive with all the skaters including Kostner and Asada and probably would beat clean Suzuki, Leonova, Lepisto et al. Of course, lining up the stars for both to skate 4 programs in total clean and some errors both by Carolina and Mao might be asking a bit much.

Fine for Wagner - but Czisny beating a clean Suzuki would make me want to hit my head against a wall. Hard. For all there is, I really think that shouldn't happen.

I'm probably going to cross my fingers most for Suzuki this year. Her programms are gorgeous, she's technically improved a lot and has that special kind of energy and joy about her, that always makes me smile while watching her.
The other two I'd like to see on the podium are Asada and Wagner.
Kostner, oh well... she's probably going to make it, and I usually like her skating a lot. But with that jump content... I just don't want to see a world champion with such an obviously "play it save"-strategy.

So I fear most likely it would be...

1.) Kostner
2.) Asada (although this is already pretty shaky)
3.) Suzuki/Wagner

For men, I'm fine with the most likely - Chan 1., Takahashi 2. bronze is a tough case though... I'll keep my fingers crossed for Hanyu, but I think Abbott deserves to be on the podium already too. So I'll go with what I'd like to see and think will happen combined:

1.) Chan
2.) Takahashi
3.) Abbott

clairecloutier

Final Flight
The results at 4CC surprised me and made me feel like Worlds may be full of surprises this year!

Pairs

1. Volosozhar/Trankov--I don't like their programs and would much prefer S/S to win. However, I don't think S/S will be at their best due to Aliona's very unfortunate injury. This will open the door for V/T to win. I think injuries/illnesses will make the difference between these two teams all the way up to Sochi. They are so closely matched that whichever team is healthiest, physically and mentally, will win.

2. Savchenko/Szolkowy--If they compete, they'll hold on for silver. Pina is brilliant, best program in any discipline this season.

3. Kavaguti/Smirnov--If they compete, they'll hold on for bronze. Clair de Lune is the best program of their career by far.

Other contenders--If the top 3 slip up or do not compete, I see Sui/Han or Bazarova/Larionov on the podium. I think Sui/Han will top B/L due to more consistent elements. Personally I don't care for Sui/Han, but you can't argue with their 75 TES score at 4CC. If that happens again, they will be on the podium almost regardless of PCS scores. If Pang/Tong compete, they'll certainly be a podium threat as well, but I don't really expect to see them there. The surprise of 4CC to me was the general strength of the North American/Chinese pairs versus the European pairs. If you take out the top 4 European pairs (S/S, V/T, K/S, B/L), there really is little to no depth beneath them. Whereas the top 6 or 7 pairs at 4CC were really all quite good.

Men

1. Patrick Chan--I don't particularly like Chan, but he seems close to unbeatable at this point.

2-3. Honestly, I think the podium beneath Chan is wide open. The skaters who SHOULD be on it are Daisuke Takahashi and Jeremy Abbott. They are the most complete skaters, with the best package of skills, choreography, and interpretation (personally, I like both of them better than Chan). However, with the competition so intense, it will come down to execution on those 2 days. Whoever lands the jumps and makes the fewest mistakes will be on the podium. It could be any combination of Takahashi, Abbott, Gachinski, Fernandez, Amodio, Brezina, Kozuka, Hanyu, even Rippon or Denis Ten. I'm tempted to bet on Gachinski simply because he's shown that he peaks for the big events.

Ice Dance

1. Virtue/Moir--I'm a Davis/White fan and I really want them to win a second gold with their magnificent Die Fledermaus. However . . . V/M won 4CC by such a big margin. They are wonderful skaters, and Funny Face truly does improve each time they skate it. I think Meryl/Charlie have their work cut out for them. But again, it will come down to execution, and if V/M slip up, Meryl/Charlie will be right there.

2. Davis/White--I love them and am rooting for them. It will be so, so close for the gold. I hope they can do it!

3. Weaver/Poje--I think this may be their year. They've been very strong all season, especially with their free dance. If they skate as strongly and consistently as they have been, their chances are excellent.

Other contenders--It should be Pechalat/Bourzat's year, after the near miss last season and with Worlds in their country. However, they just haven't been that great this year. Their free dance at Europeans was definitely their best of the season, though, so who knows? Personally I think the bronze is between W/P and P/B. I don't see the Shibutanis making the podium this year; I just don't think their free dance is good enough. Bobrova/Soloviev do have a shot, but IMO it's based on politics rather than skill.

Ladies

1. Carolina Kostner--She is the favorite. She's been consistent and solid all year, and her programs are probably the best of her career. Most importantly, the judges love her and will give her great PCS no matter what. It's her competition to lose. But the fact is, without a Lutz and with the flip questionable, she's a pretty vulnerable favorite. It's perfectly possible that anyone could beat her.

2. Ashley Wagner(!?)--I'm going out on a limb here. But if she can match her program from 4CC, a medal is possible--any color medal.

3. Mao Asada--I want Mao to win, but I don't know if it's going to happen. As much as I love her, as much as I love Liebestraum, her jumps have been so inconsistent. I'd love to see her get gold, but her results don't really support that happening.

Other contenders--I'd love to see Akiko on the podium, but her inability to put together 2 great programs this season worries me. I think she needs to do that to get on the podium. Otherwise I see her in 4th or 5th. Alissa is such a wild card. She could win this event or be as low as 10th (please, please don't let that happen). Korobeynikova is extremely promising but I don't see her on the podium this season unless all the favorites collapse. I don't think she'll get quite the PCS she needs. Leonova I think is past her peak this season (although she has performed better than expected at both her previous Worlds, so perhaps I shouldn't write her off). Murakami is another wild card. Korpi will score well in the short as usual, then tank in the long as usual. This is the hardest division to predict--I think we'll see at least one surprise on the podium, possibly two.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Even with a possible Lutzless win from Kostner I do admit I enjoy Carolina's hand movements both in sp and lp

Bobrova/Soloviev do have a shot, but IMO it's based on politics rather than skill.

no they dont have a shot, and if it was about politics, its in NICE
I can totally see Pechalat/Bourzat at Worlds Podium

Last edited:

mousepotato

On the Ice
Here are the entries:

I have only had a chance to look at pairs: Pang and Tong said all along they would take off the season and compete at worlds so I'm not sure why there is speculation about them competing, there are for sure on the list, as well as Sui and Han. The Zhangs are alternates, not surprising as bad as his injury is and her height not to mention that S/H have surpassed them in points.

Smirnov seems to be doing well according to Moskvina although she lends to sugarcoat things when it comes to injuries although the Russian Federation would not send them if they were not able to compete. They have performed their short program since his surgery and did quite well and will perform again this Saturday. I'm not sure they will be able to medal since he has been off the ice since the beginning of December but if they are doing as well as Moskvina says they are-a bronze should be within reach. They have by far the best free skate.

I hope the judges finally realize they have been over scoring S/H once they see them up against teams who can really skate. S/S injury I'm sure has passed as are training normally, I doubt they will try the 3ATh at worlds, they just can't risk it.

Pairs:
1. S/S
2. V/T
3. K/S
4. P/T
5. S/H
6. D/R
7. B/L
8. D/C
9. T/T

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Ladies

1. Carolina Kostner--She is the favorite. She's been consistent and solid all year, and her programs are probably the best of her career. Most importantly, the judges love her and will give her great PCS no matter what. It's her competition to lose. But the fact is, without a Lutz and with the flip questionable, she's a pretty vulnerable favorite. It's perfectly possible that anyone could beat her.

2. Ashley Wagner(!?)--I'm going out on a limb here. But if she can match her program from 4CC, a medal is possible--any color medal.

3. Mao Asada--I want Mao to win, but I don't know if it's going to happen. As much as I love her, as much as I love Liebestraum, her jumps have been so inconsistent. I'd love to see her get gold, but her results don't really support that happening.

Other contenders--I'd love to see Akiko on the podium, but her inability to put together 2 great programs this season worries me. I think she needs to do that to get on the podium. Otherwise I see her in 4th or 5th. Alissa is such a wild card. She could win this event or be as low as 10th (please, please don't let that happen). Korobeynikova is extremely promising but I don't see her on the podium this season unless all the favorites collapse. I don't think she'll get quite the PCS she needs. Leonova I think is past her peak this season (although she has performed better than expected at both her previous Worlds, so perhaps I shouldn't write her off). Murakami is another wild card. Korpi will score well in the short as usual, then tank in the long as usual. This is the hardest division to predict--I think we'll see at least one surprise on the podium, possibly two.

After 4CC I can definitely see Ashley on the podium as well :) I would like Caro to medal only if she hits the flip; without it her technical content is what we saw at 1987 Worlds.

paircheck

Final Flight
Here are the entries:

I have only had a chance to look at pairs: Pang and Tong said all along they would take off the season and compete at worlds so I'm not sure why there is speculation about them competing, there are for sure on the list, as well as Sui and Han. The Zhangs are alternates, not surprising as bad as his injury is and her height not to mention that S/H have surpassed them in points.

Smirnov seems to be doing well according to Moskvina although she lends to sugarcoat things when it comes to injuries although the Russian Federation would not send them if they were not able to compete. They have performed their short program since his surgery and did quite well and will perform again this Saturday. I'm not sure they will be able to medal since he has been off the ice since the beginning of December but if they are doing as well as Moskvina says they are-a bronze should be within reach. They have by far the best free skate.

I hope the judges finally realize they have been over scoring S/H once they see them up against teams who can really skate. S/S injury I'm sure has passed as are training normally, I doubt they will try the 3ATh at worlds, they just can't risk it.

Pairs:
1. S/S
2. V/T
3. K/S
4. P/T
5. S/H
6. D/R
7. B/L
8. D/C
9. T/T

ok have to correct something ..... :laugh:

1. Savchenko/Szolkowy - pina iss the best and they re burning to beat V/T because they cannont compete against them @ europeans
2. Volosozhar/Trankov - gonna be close to S/S ... but imo trankov's nerves gonna be the sticking point
3. Duhamel/Radford - high technical base value... and the best male skater in the field deserves a medal ... please skate nationals one more time :)
4. Pang/Tong - sightly above their teammates S/H.. i hope...
5. Sui/Han - well i don't like their style, technics, programmes ... but it'll be realistic
6. Bazarova/Larionov - soooorry but they have no power or style... as oldfashioned and boring as ever ...
7. Kavaguti/Smirnov - if smirnov can compete... but i don t like their programmes .. sooooorry their fp iss sooo boring.... but i can sleep soo good to it...
8. Denney/Coughlin - if the truckdriver drives on the road... possible...
9. Berton/Hotarek - if they are both fit and skate 2 clean programmes.. well, why not?
10. Takahashi/Tran - well depends on her sbs jumps...

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The pairs event will be interesting. S/S and V/T seem to be in their own battle for gold, which I have a feeling V/T will take especialy with the injury to the Germans. K/S should get bronze or could even do better if they skate perfectly but they are inconsistent. P/T, B/L, and S/H all have a shot at the bronze if K/S make mistakes. I dont see either Canada or the U.S regaining 3 spots, and I dont see any NA team coming higher than 7th.

mousepotato

On the Ice
6. Bazarova/Larionov - soooorry but they have no power or style... as oldfashioned and boring as ever ...
7. Kavaguti/Smirnov - if smirnov can compete... but i don t like their programmes .. sooooorry their fp iss sooo boring.... but i can sleep soo good to it...

You think Bazarova and Larionov will beat Kavaguti and Smirnov? :biggrin:

PS Radford is ok but he is far from the best male in the field.