S/S
B/L

Dance

V/M
B/S
D/W

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I love seeing different perspectives - so cool. Sometimes I think I can see people's "biases or favouritism" but what do I know. For example bestskate8 to some might appear to be a Russian fan. But I think that is really awesome. Another person had B and L and K and S in 6th and 7th place in pairs. While most had K and S in the top 4. It's all good. I actually can see the potential for everyone's podium of course I know nothing about skating. I would like to know if K and S well Smirnov if he has recovered to compete. I am not in the loop but 1 Are the Zhang's competing? 2. Are Pang and Tong competing 3. Is Lepisto competing? 4. Is Ando competing? 5. Are S and S recovered? This will affect the podium.

romanoff81

Match Penalty
I would love for Weaver and Poje to win a medal i think their free dance is a masterpiece you really forget they are technical elements when they skate their SD is great as well just what a sultry latin dance should be, i am neutral on V&M and D&W i think the canadians have the edge their FD does appear to be technically superior particularly on the lifts and the step sequences.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I love seeing different perspectives - so cool. Sometimes I think I can see people's "biases or favouritism" but what do I know. For example bestskate8 to some might appear to be a Russian fan. But I think that is really awesome. Another person had B and L and K and S in 6th and 7th place in pairs. While most had K and S in the top 4. It's all good. I actually can see the potential for everyone's podium of course I know nothing about skating. I would like to know if K and S well Smirnov if he has recovered to compete. I am not in the loop but 1 Are the Zhang's competing? 2. Are Pang and Tong competing 3. Is Lepisto competing? 4. Is Ando competing? 5. Are S and S recovered? This will affect the podium.

Definitely NO: Lepisto, Ando

Currently listed: P/T, S/S

Substitute: Z/Z

deedee1

Record Breaker
I would love for Weaver and Poje to win a medal i think their free dance is a masterpiece you really forget they are technical elements when they skate their SD is great as well just what a sultry latin dance should be

I agree.
I had known this couple, but this year they really caught my eyes!

That 'sultry latin dance' as you say, with Kaitlyn's striking costume. I know Davis/White and Virtue/Moir are miles ahead technically, but their SD is the best for me this year.

Love love love their Free dance and Exhibition number, too.
Kaitlyn and Andrew look so gorgeous together on the ice.
While they are actually skating competitive programs with required elements, their dances make me feel like I am watching a movie, I just forget 'this is a competition'.

As for winning a medal, I am torn though.

Pechalat/Bourzat is another dance team I love.
They had been overshadowed by France' former World Champion Delobel/Schoenfelder, and I always thought they did not get the marks enough they deserved, due to their French No.2 status.

I so want Nathalie and Fabian win a World medal before they retire.
And this year's Worlds is in Nice. I wish them to get on the podium finally, in front of home crowd. How thrilling and fascinating it will be for them, just like Federica and Massimo at 2010 Worlds in Torino!

Last edited:
I'll have to check out some of the people you've all listed here. I'm missed out on a lot of promising skaters now that TV has so little skating.

Last edited:

romanoff81

Match Penalty
Good points Deedee will have to see how Pechalat and bourzat handle the pressure of skating at home i thought they were given a bit of a gift when they beat weaver and poje in the grand prix final i don`t think skating at home makes a difference when the teams are close in ability it all comes down to the levels given and that has nothing to do with the location of the event.

macy

Record Breaker
i think this weekend will give a good insight for how czisny, koster, and abbott are looking (not sure what other worlds competitors will be there). especially after czisny's injury aftermath and jeremy's hip bothering him and not competing at 4CC. a new article on IN says they both are feeling good.

deedee1

Record Breaker
romanoff81,

I normally hate spaculating something, but if both teams skate 2 clean skates, the judges hold Pechalat/Brouzat with higher PCS, and they will edge out Weaver/Poje just off the podium, I think.

To judges eyes, Weaver/Poje is still lacking in desirable results for consecutive years on the international circuit,compared to the French team, I guess: e.g. missing the recent Olympics, the country's No.2 status.

Dance is the most favored category in figure skating in Europe.
The judges, especially European judges do not like the North American sweep in Dance for two years in a row. They even hate it to happen at Worlds in Europe, do not you think?
Also, P/B was due getting on the podium last year (without that nasty fall in circular step sequence, of course...)

Part of me fears, however, that two clean programs may not be expected from Nathalie and Fabian again (oh why can't they do it for once???...sigh)

With the pressure on and huge expectations added by home crowd as you said, yeah I agree. There is a realistic chance for Weaver/Poje to clearly outskate the French team and snatch a medal if they can repeat 4CC performances.

Last edited:

Becki

Medalist
My prediction

Men:

Gold - Patrick Chan
Silver - Daisuke Takahashi
Bronze - Yuzuru Hanyu
Pewter - Jeremy Abbott
5th - Brian Joubert

Ladies:

Gold - Carolina Kostner
Silver - Akiko Suzuki
Bronze - Alissa Czinsy
Pewter - Mao Asada
5th - Ashley Wagner

Dance

Gold - Virtue/Moir
Silver - Davis/White
Bronze - The French team... P/P?
Fourth - Weaver/Poje
5th - Shibutani/Shibutani

and I seriously dunno many names in Pairs....

deedee1

Record Breaker
My dream podium ver.2, on to the LADIES!

1 Carolina Kostner
2 Akiko Suzuki
3 Alissa Czisny or Mao Asada
4 Ashley Wagner

For Carolina, same reason as Jeremy Abbott for me.
As talented as she is, she should have at least one World title in her resume.
I loved her programs from last year so much. This year's, not so much but still like them. So, if she includes 3-3 in SP and 2 Flips in LP, she gets my GO sign getting Gold this year.

Akiko: a lovely skater who has been over-shadowed by lots of young talented Japanese girls during almost her entire career, and under-apperciated by judges.
As her time as an eligible skater is nearing to its end, I would love to see her finally grab a World medal; the deserved medal which Yukari Nakano never could have. Silver would be a nice gift from skating god for these two lovely skaters, I wish.

Alissa: it seems to me this year might be her last chance to get on the podium, before Russian babies finally explode onto the Senior circuit.

Mao...I have always rooted for this angel of a girl.
She has been through a lot, hell a lot since 2009-10 Vancouver season, both in her competitive life and personal life.
I only wish she will have 2 good performances that she can be proud of and get satisfied with. As for recapturing the World title, waiting one more year or two would be acceptable until she completely fixes her flutz, Salchow gets more stable and/or brings back 3-3.
With or without 3As, successful jumps or not, she is a beautiful skater. I can fully pay for a ticket at a competiton just to watch her beautiful skate.

Ashley! This is her year to claim herself as a serious contender to international judges leading up to Sochi. I looove her Black Swan's chreo spiral! I hope she will have 2 'crystal clean' skates at Nice.

The best two programs among ladies, SP LP combined, for me this year are Akiko's and Ashley's! Hands down.
I will be very upset if judges hold them down on PCS, in order to hold UP other favorites based on reputation and politiking.

paircheck

Final Flight
You think Bazarova and Larionov will beat Kavaguti and Smirnov? :biggrin:

PS Radford is ok but he is far from the best male in the field.

well both ladys K and B have somtimes... (or often)... trouble with their solo jumps ...
and we gonna see how smirnov has recoverd...

who does a triple lutz in competition?... yes only eric :biggrin:
but i think he could skate and shine much better if... ... ... meagan belongs not to him ;)

who is your favourite male skater mousepotato???

mousepotato

On the Ice
well both ladys K and B have somtimes... (or often)... trouble with their solo jumps ...
and we gonna see how smirnov has recoverd...

who does a triple lutz in competition?... yes only eric :biggrin:
but i think he could skate and shine much better if... ... ... meagan belongs not to him ;)

who is your favourite male skater mousepotato???

Having a lutz and performing well in competition are two different things and they have trouble landing the jumps. They still need to work out other issues as well.

Men: Chan, Takahashi, Abbott... Hanyu and Gachinski rounding out 4th and 5th

Ladies: Kostner, Wagner, Asada or Suzuki, I really don’t mind any of them winning but Kostner has been doing really well.

Dance is tough, we have the usual suspects with D/W and V/M but B/S and W/P will be fighting for a medal and I hope P/B will be on the podium, especially after last year.

doctor2014

On the Ice
:laugh:

and you are American and think they can't win, did you watch Europians 2012? if not may be you should then;)

Don’t get me wrong. I have nothing against them, and I have watched Euros. In fact, I kinda like Korobeynikova and hope she’ll finish above Makarova and Korpi.

As for Gachinski, well if he skates like he did at Euros then he could end up on the podium… bronze or even silver. I just think it’d be difficult for him to snatch gold from Chan. Jmo.

The pairs event will be interesting. S/S and V/T seem to be in their own battle for gold, which I have a feeling V/T will take especialy with the injury to the Germans. K/S should get bronze or could even do better if they skate perfectly but they are inconsistent. P/T, B/L, and S/H all have a shot at the bronze if K/S make mistakes. I dont see either Canada or the U.S regaining 3 spots, and I dont see any NA team coming higher than 7th.

I fear that you're right about the North American pairs teams. Pairs is really a European specialty right now. I also agree with you (and hope for this outcome) that V/T and S/S will be the top two teams in either order. I hope that K/S get the bronze because I'm kind of attached to them.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
If Pang and Tong skate I think they will win bronze since they are OSM multiple world medals. I know people should retire when they want to retire but ...I kind of think Pang and Tong had their time in the light it is time to move on. I know people should do what they want but Shen and Zhou sort of literally came back to grab the gold and then went back to show skating - something unsettling whereas, this sounds like a contradiction, Weir or Rochette returning is to finish business. Strictly my opinion. I do wish K and S goodluck; I thought they were making head way but now with S and S and V and T so entrenched at the top the best they can hope for it seems is bronze. Their pcs and such are so far behind.