Worlds podium? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Worlds podium?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
If Pang and Tong skate I think they will win bronze since they are OSM multiple world medals. I know people should retire when they want to retire but ...I kind of think Pang and Tong had their time in the light it is time to move on. I know people should do what they want but Shen and Zhou sort of literally came back to grab the gold and then went back to show skating - something unsettling whereas, this sounds like a contradiction, Weir or Rochette returning is to finish business. Strictly my opinion. I do wish K and S goodluck; I thought they were making head way but now with S and S and V and T so entrenched at the top the best they can hope for it seems is bronze. Their pcs and such are so far behind.

Pang & Tong are still chasing the elusive Olympic Gold so they do have valid incentive to stay. It is not like they are really coming back, they have never been away long.

Weir coming back is in fact much sillier as he doesnt have any chance, even in the U.S. Where he belongs is in pro skating now, and a comeback will be an epic disaester if he tries to go through with it. What business would Rochette be returning to finish. She already has an Olympic medal, and if she wanted a World title she should have competed at the 2010, 2011, or even 2012 Worlds (all which she potentially could have won it turns out). 2013 and beyond is too late for her.

mousepotato

On the Ice
If Pang and Tong skate I think they will win bronze since they are OSM multiple world medals. I know people should retire when they want to retire but ...I kind of think Pang and Tong had their time in the light it is time to move on. I know people should do what they want but Shen and Zhou sort of literally came back to grab the gold and then went back to show skating - something unsettling whereas, this sounds like a contradiction, Weir or Rochette returning is to finish business. Strictly my opinion. I do wish K and S goodluck; I thought they were making head way but now with S and S and V and T so entrenched at the top the best they can hope for it seems is bronze. Their pcs and such are so far behind.

What they have won in the past have nothing to do with it; they haven't competed in with these caliber skaters in 12 months. The only local competition they did wasn't good. How they perform in Nice could go anywhere from a wonderful 3rd to a tragic 7th. Don't forget at Worlds in 09 they were 4th behind S/S, K/S and the Zhangs then they dropped from 1st to 3rd, so they either the rest had done them good or they are out of shape and will take years to get it back if they ever do and don't forget they are 32. I know S/Z came back and were older but they are no S/Z.

I do hope they do better than S/H as they should and I don't hink they should retire until they want to. I think V/T PCS are too high and K/S too low; S/S seems about right except choreography should be alittle higher.

paircheck

Final Flight
i think pang/tong have no chance for gold ... @ worlds or olympics

it s hard to say their time is over.. but i don t see their hearts re burning for a title
they didn t compete in the grand prix series, or other international events...
maybe they were seriously injured, but chinese officials would not tell us facts ...
they have much pressure from their teammates Sui/Han and of course from other teams ... S/S, V/T....
i don t see them on the podium.. sry!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
For the record I don't doubt Pang and Tong have incentive - they want the gold; I am not sure though they are skating for the pure joy of skating unlike Joannie. That's my two bits, my opinino. Right or wrong that's where I am coming from right now.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Pang/Tong compete because China needs them to earn 3 spots for next year, and that's Pang/Tong's goal. They for sure want to do their best, but they're quite realistic. They said it would be really hard to get gold this year, but also Tong also said tht S/S and V/T would better not make mistake:). Zhang/Zhang could not compet because Hao Zhang is suffering injuries. I think Pang/Tong's chance of getting OGM is very slim. If they perform like how they did in 2010 olympics they still have chance to get another World gold, but that's about it imo.
Nan Song is under the same kind of pressure. He's expected to perform well enough to earn 2 spots for China too.
Only lady and dance are pressure free it seems.

I wish D/W get Gold and V/M silver, Mao on the podium and hopefully gold. Chan for Gold and for pair, whoever skate the best, S/S, V/M, P/T, and maybe K/S

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I agree Pang & Tong wont win another major gold, I just said they could have that as an incentive. I dont see anyone but S&S or V&T winning a major title until after 2014, and if V&T continue past 2014 (S&S sure wont) they will completely dominate, if they arent already by then. I still see Pang & Tong having more chance to sneak in for a bronze or even silver than Sui & Han or Zhang & Zhang right now.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I agree that K/S especially in PCS is underscored compared to V/T and S/Z
and as for P/T , If they are realistic , they are too old and it will be good to pass their glory to S/H before 2014

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
:laugh:

and you are American and think they can't win, did you watch Europians 2012? if not may be you should then;)

Yeah where Gaschinski skated his best and still finished 15 points behind a nearly 30 year old Plushenko, and where the top Russian lady who will be at Worlds skated her best LP and still finished well below a faulty Kostner (limited jump content to start with and all) in that section. So watching Europeans we are supposed to learn what exactly. That the biggest Russian threat for a singles medal wont even be at Worlds and is having surgery.

As for Gachinski, well if he skates like he did at Euros then he could end up on the podium… bronze or even silver. I just think it’d be difficult for him to snatch gold from Chan. Jmo.

The former wont happen unless it is a major splatfest. Worlds arent in Russia like last year (and even that was a splatfest anyway). As for Chan and Gachinski, Chan could skate most of the program on his rear end and still beat baby wanabee Plushenko, and in this case it wouldnt just be the usual inflation but would be deserved too.

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
My dream podium this year ver.3...onto Ice Dance!

1 Davis/White
2 Pechalat/Brouzat
3 Weaver/Poje

In short, the above is mostly based on my preference among the current Dance teams, and my favorite combination of programs this year.

For Davis/White, I love their way of packaging programs every year (except maybe Tango FD last year); new concepts, new types of music, very detailed and intricate choregraphies (Indian SD in the Olympic year!!!) from a year to another. In terms of 'packaging' goes, theirs are the best for me.

I agree Virtue/Moir is the best Dance team right now. While they can skate to ANY music beautifuly, they are also the best technically.
But what I like and admire about Meryl and Charlie is that I can see their tremendous efforts trying to exceed their boundaries as ice dancers each year.

For Pechalat/Bourza, as I wrote before, I so want them to win a World medal, which seemed so clearly to be their due last year...(sobs)...
They had been overshdowed by their status as French No.2, thus underscored by the international judges for a long time.
It will be like a fairy tale with happy ending if they can finally win a medal in front of home crowd!

Weaver/Poje, I simply love their programs this year!
They are growing on me as ice dancers. As far as 'combination of programs' is concerned, SD+FD PLUS EXHIBITION, theirs is the best for me this year.

P.S. It seems North American ice dancers would prefer simplier Ex programs skating to lighter music (such as American pops), and I always wonder why?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I have to agree I find K and S undermarked especially in PCS. I know we all have our favourites; sadly there is only one OGM and three spots on the podium. Someone is going home emptyhanded. OGM isn't everything. I kind of think S and Z finally winning their beloved gold well over rrated. Not only did they get beat in the freeskate they just didn't really have "it" factor; it was all business to grab their gold. They skate beautifully but their time in a way seemed in the past.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I have to agree I find K and S undermarked especially in PCS. I know we all have our favourites; sadly there is only one OGM and three spots on the podium. Someone is going home emptyhanded. OGM isn't everything. I kind of think S and Z finally winning their beloved gold well over rrated. Not only did they get beat in the freeskate they just didn't really have "it" factor; it was all business to grab their gold. They skate beautifully but their time in a way seemed in the past.

I'm sorry but I don't agree about your comment about S/Z. I personally think they have the IT factor and they were actually better than before, each time around. They even have more difficult technical content then when they were younger. So although it was not perfect not winning the FS to get the gold, the gold was really well deserved.

deedee1

Record Breaker
It is OT a little, but...

I am glad that a lot of 'used-to-be-readig-only' members started posting in this forum, while senior members educate us newbies(!) with their very informative, professional and/or sometimes merciless (sorry!) comments.
At the same time, however, I feel sad to see some of the senior members, those who are (seemingly) based in Europe, seem to have stopped posting or seldom post anymore.

Figure skating, which is one of many sports I have loved over the decades, was born in Europe.
The European Championships has longer history than the Worlds. Winning the European title is more prestigious, some would say.
In this regard, I think highly of (respect) figure skating in Europe itself, skaters in Europe, skating fans in Europe; not only competitive skating I mean, because they produce great ice shows/galas sush as 'Art on Ice'.

As a long-time luker myself on this forum, I always enjoyed, valued, and was fascinated by opinions, viewpoints, suggestions, small criticisms, and/or typical European sense of humor (lol!) from these seinor members. I really miss them now.

Yes, this is one online free discussion board out of the millions. We can come, we can go anytime as we wish. I know, but still...
Since this Worlds, the biggest competition of the season, is in Nice, France, I have a hope some of them may change mind and come back posting.

Sorry for the off topic everyone. My apologies in advance if my post sounded bothersome to you.

To Administrator, please delete this post if it turns out inappropriate.Thanks.

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

If Pang & Tong were not undermarked in the SP they would have won in Vancouver. Of course that is the result almost nobody wanted, as everyone wanted either: a) the legends Shen & Zhou winning, b) the Germans who had been the top team of that quad winning, 3)the Russian streak to continue, so there is no way that undesired result was going to let be happen which explains their SP score 4 points lower than Worlds where the scoring was generally lower, for the exact same performance essentialy. TPTB didnt mind them winning Worlds, but definitely not the Olympics. Shen & Zhous so so LP was the best of the 3 viable candidates who were left in contention after the SP, the other two who crashed and burned, so by default they limped to their long awaited OGM in mediocre fashion, losing the LP phase by several points to a non gold medal contender. It also makes the Shen & Zhou fanatics who are so sure they would have won if healthy over Totmianina & Marinin in 2006 and crowed so for years look like idiots since after Vancouver Shen & Zhou have still yet to deliver a single Olympics that would have come close to beating Totmianina & Marinin in at the Turin Olympics.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

If anyone was undermarked in Vancouver, I'd argue it was Pang/Tong. Since then, however, I'll agree that K/S PCS - especially for that lovely long program - have been less than they could've been. I'm fine with S/Z winning - S/S didn't step up, P/T weren't as good in general, K/S were overmarked, etc.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
K/S used to be one of the most held up teams and continously scored high for programs filled with major and glaring miscues, but they have been undermarked in PCS for the past 2 seasons despite huge improvements in their skating and program quality. The difference between being Russian #1 and Russian #2.

skateflower

Match Penalty
K/S had been massively overscored in PCS in the past. They're not being undermarked at all. Their PCS this season is only behind S/S and V/T. I How much more do you want to give them? Their lines are still terrible.

mousepotato

On the Ice
If anyone was undermarked in Vancouver, I'd argue it was Pang/Tong. Since then, however, I'll agree that K/S PCS - especially for that lovely long program - have been less than they could've been. I'm fine with S/Z winning - S/S didn't step up, P/T weren't as good in general, K/S were overmarked, etc.

I'm fine with S/Z winning too, P/T could have won but they made too many silly mistakes in the short especially the one point deduction for going over the music. S/S and K/S let their nerves get the best of them; each lost their footing because of that. K/S did a great job for only being a pair for 3½ years at their first Olympics.

K/S used to be one of the most held up teams and continously scored high for programs filled with major and glaring miscues, but they have been undermarked in PCS for the past 2 seasons despite huge improvements in their skating and program quality. The difference between being Russian #1 and Russian #2.

Judges couldn’t care less about who is 1st or 2nd in any nation, that is more of something that goes on inside of a skating fan's head. If it was true Mukhortova and Trankov wouldn't have beat K/S and they did right after K/S won nationals so that theory doesn't hold up. Making mistakes falls under GOE not PCS, it's more the judges not understanding how to score the deductions in certain categories. K/S getting a 6 or 7 in CH or SS from any judge is ridiculous and underscored.

K/S had been massively overscored in PCS in the past. They're not being undermarked at all. Their PCS this season is only behind S/S and V/T. I How much more do you want to give them? Their lines are still terrible.

Terrible? :laugh: Their lines are not any more terrible that anyone else, that is usually the same old excuse made by someone who just dislikes a team. It's the same bashing D/C are now going though.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Who are people thinking the 3rd medalist at Worlds will be? Chan, Takahashi, and... Hanyu? Fernandez? Kozuka? Abbott? Gatchinski? I mean there's a chance someone like Brezina or Amodio (assuming he's healed in time) could sneak in there. I was thinking Fernandez was a pretty sure bet for the 3rd spot on the podium but then Euros happened. No one's seen Kozuka skate for awhile, so I have no clue what kind of form he is. I'd love to see Hanyu get on the podium, and we saw at the GPF the judges are willing the give him huge scores even already, but will his stamina hold up and can he handle the pressure? I thought Abbott too but he was just ok score wise (and pretty bad tech-wise) at the Challenge Cup.

skateflower

Match Penalty
Who are people thinking the 3rd medalist at Worlds will be? Chan, Takahashi, and... Hanyu? Fernandez? Kozuka? Abbott? Gatchinski? I mean there's a chance someone like Brezina or Amodio (assuming he's healed in time) could sneak in there. I was thinking Fernandez was a pretty sure bet for the 3rd spot on the podium but then Euros happened. No one's seen Kozuka skate for awhile, so I have no clue what kind of form he is. I'd love to see Hanyu get on the podium, and we saw at the GPF the judges are willing the give him huge scores even already, but will his stamina hold up and can he handle the pressure? I thought Abbott too but he was just ok score wise (and pretty bad tech-wise) at the Challenge Cup.

Hanyu has a fantastic program and unlike Chan, he emotes and performs. I hope he'll surprise us and beat that robotic and often messy Chan at the worlds.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Hanyu has a fantastic program and unlike Chan, he emotes and performs. I hope he'll surprise us and beat that robotic and often messy Chan at the worlds.

He won't beat Chan, but he could maybe beat Takahashi if Dai is off. I hope Fernandez comes back strong, he was sooo good this season until Euros.