Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Worlds podium?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor2014 View Post
    Maybe you’re Russian or you just like Russian skaters, but I hope you don’t jinx Gachinski.

and you are American and think they can't win, did you watch Europians 2012? if not may be you should then

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by paircheck View Post
    well both ladys K and B have somtimes... (or often)... trouble with their solo jumps ...
    and we gonna see how smirnov has recoverd...

who does a triple lutz in competition?... yes only eric
    but i think he could skate and shine much better if... ... ... meagan belongs not to him

who is your favourite male skater mousepotato???
    Having a lutz and performing well in competition are two different things and they have trouble landing the jumps. They still need to work out other issues as well.

Men: Chan, Takahashi, Abbott... Hanyu and Gachinski rounding out 4th and 5th

Ladies: Kostner, Wagner, Asada or Suzuki, I really don’t mind any of them winning but Kostner has been doing really well.

Dance is tough, we have the usual suspects with D/W and V/M but B/S and W/P will be fighting for a medal and I hope P/B will be on the podium, especially after last year.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bestskate8 View Post

and you are American and think they can't win, did you watch Europians 2012? if not may be you should then

Don’t get me wrong. I have nothing against them, and I have watched Euros. In fact, I kinda like Korobeynikova and hope she’ll finish above Makarova and Korpi.

As for Gachinski, well if he skates like he did at Euros then he could end up on the podium… bronze or even silver. I just think it’d be difficult for him to snatch gold from Chan. Jmo.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    The pairs event will be interesting. S/S and V/T seem to be in their own battle for gold, which I have a feeling V/T will take especialy with the injury to the Germans. K/S should get bronze or could even do better if they skate perfectly but they are inconsistent. P/T, B/L, and S/H all have a shot at the bronze if K/S make mistakes. I dont see either Canada or the U.S regaining 3 spots, and I dont see any NA team coming higher than 7th.
    I fear that you're right about the North American pairs teams. Pairs is really a European specialty right now. I also agree with you (and hope for this outcome) that V/T and S/S will be the top two teams in either order. I hope that K/S get the bronze because I'm kind of attached to them.

Custom Title
    If Pang and Tong skate I think they will win bronze since they are OSM multiple world medals. I know people should retire when they want to retire but ...I kind of think Pang and Tong had their time in the light it is time to move on. I know people should do what they want but Shen and Zhou sort of literally came back to grab the gold and then went back to show skating - something unsettling whereas, this sounds like a contradiction, Weir or Rochette returning is to finish business. Strictly my opinion. I do wish K and S goodluck; I thought they were making head way but now with S and S and V and T so entrenched at the top the best they can hope for it seems is bronze. Their pcs and such are so far behind.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    If Pang and Tong skate I think they will win bronze since they are OSM multiple world medals. I know people should retire when they want to retire but ...I kind of think Pang and Tong had their time in the light it is time to move on. I know people should do what they want but Shen and Zhou sort of literally came back to grab the gold and then went back to show skating - something unsettling whereas, this sounds like a contradiction, Weir or Rochette returning is to finish business. Strictly my opinion. I do wish K and S goodluck; I thought they were making head way but now with S and S and V and T so entrenched at the top the best they can hope for it seems is bronze. Their pcs and such are so far behind.
    Pang & Tong are still chasing the elusive Olympic Gold so they do have valid incentive to stay. It is not like they are really coming back, they have never been away long.

Weir coming back is in fact much sillier as he doesnt have any chance, even in the U.S. Where he belongs is in pro skating now, and a comeback will be an epic disaester if he tries to go through with it. What business would Rochette be returning to finish. She already has an Olympic medal, and if she wanted a World title she should have competed at the 2010, 2011, or even 2012 Worlds (all which she potentially could have won it turns out). 2013 and beyond is too late for her.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    What they have won in the past have nothing to do with it; they haven't competed in with these caliber skaters in 12 months. The only local competition they did wasn't good. How they perform in Nice could go anywhere from a wonderful 3rd to a tragic 7th. Don't forget at Worlds in 09 they were 4th behind S/S, K/S and the Zhangs then they dropped from 1st to 3rd, so they either the rest had done them good or they are out of shape and will take years to get it back if they ever do and don't forget they are 32. I know S/Z came back and were older but they are no S/Z.

I do hope they do better than S/H as they should and I don't hink they should retire until they want to. I think V/T PCS are too high and K/S too low; S/S seems about right except choreography should be alittle higher.

Custom Title
    i think pang/tong have no chance for gold ... @ worlds or olympics

it s hard to say their time is over.. but i don t see their hearts re burning for a title
    they didn t compete in the grand prix series, or other international events...
    maybe they were seriously injured, but chinese officials would not tell us facts ...
    they have much pressure from their teammates Sui/Han and of course from other teams ... S/S, V/T....
    i don t see them on the podium.. sry!

Custom Title
    For the record I don't doubt Pang and Tong have incentive - they want the gold; I am not sure though they are skating for the pure joy of skating unlike Joannie. That's my two bits, my opinino. Right or wrong that's where I am coming from right now.

Custom Title
    Pang/Tong compete because China needs them to earn 3 spots for next year, and that's Pang/Tong's goal. They for sure want to do their best, but they're quite realistic. They said it would be really hard to get gold this year, but also Tong also said tht S/S and V/T would better not make mistake. Zhang/Zhang could not compet because Hao Zhang is suffering injuries. I think Pang/Tong's chance of getting OGM is very slim. If they perform like how they did in 2010 olympics they still have chance to get another World gold, but that's about it imo.
    Nan Song is under the same kind of pressure. He's expected to perform well enough to earn 2 spots for China too.
    Only lady and dance are pressure free it seems.

I wish D/W get Gold and V/M silver, Mao on the podium and hopefully gold. Chan for Gold and for pair, whoever skate the best, S/S, V/M, P/T, and maybe K/S

Banned
    I agree Pang & Tong wont win another major gold, I just said they could have that as an incentive. I dont see anyone but S&S or V&T winning a major title until after 2014, and if V&T continue past 2014 (S&S sure wont) they will completely dominate, if they arent already by then. I still see Pang & Tong having more chance to sneak in for a bronze or even silver than Sui & Han or Zhang & Zhang right now.

Banned
    I agree that K/S especially in PCS is underscored compared to V/T and S/Z
    and as for P/T , If they are realistic , they are too old and it will be good to pass their glory to S/H before 2014

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bestskate8 View Post

Yeah where Gaschinski skated his best and still finished 15 points behind a nearly 30 year old Plushenko, and where the top Russian lady who will be at Worlds skated her best LP and still finished well below a faulty Kostner (limited jump content to start with and all) in that section. So watching Europeans we are supposed to learn what exactly. That the biggest Russian threat for a singles medal wont even be at Worlds and is having surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by doctor2014 View Post
    As for Gachinski, well if he skates like he did at Euros then he could end up on the podium… bronze or even silver. I just think it’d be difficult for him to snatch gold from Chan. Jmo.
    The former wont happen unless it is a major splatfest. Worlds arent in Russia like last year (and even that was a splatfest anyway). As for Chan and Gachinski, Chan could skate most of the program on his rear end and still beat baby wanabee Plushenko, and in this case it wouldnt just be the usual Chanflation but would be deserved too.
    Last edited by pangtongfan; 03-09-2012 at 01:00 AM.

Custom Title
    My dream podium this year ver.3...onto Ice Dance!

1 Davis/White
    2 Pechalat/Brouzat
    3 Weaver/Poje

In short, the above is mostly based on my preference among the current Dance teams, and my favorite combination of programs this year.

For Davis/White, I love their way of packaging programs every year (except maybe Tango FD last year); new concepts, new types of music, very detailed and intricate choregraphies (Indian SD in the Olympic year!!!) from a year to another. In terms of 'packaging' goes, theirs are the best for me.

I agree Virtue/Moir is the best Dance team right now. While they can skate to ANY music beautifuly, they are also the best technically.
    But what I like and admire about Meryl and Charlie is that I can see their tremendous efforts trying to exceed their boundaries as ice dancers each year.

For Pechalat/Bourza, as I wrote before, I so want them to win a World medal, which seemed so clearly to be their due last year...(sobs)...
    They had been overshdowed by their status as French No.2, thus underscored by the international judges for a long time.
    It will be like a fairy tale with happy ending if they can finally win a medal in front of home crowd!

Weaver/Poje, I simply love their programs this year!
    They are growing on me as ice dancers. As far as 'combination of programs' is concerned, SD+FD PLUS EXHIBITION, theirs is the best for me this year.

P.S. It seems North American ice dancers would prefer simplier Ex programs skating to lighter music (such as American pops), and I always wonder why?

Custom Title
    I have to agree I find K and S undermarked especially in PCS. I know we all have our favourites; sadly there is only one OGM and three spots on the podium. Someone is going home emptyhanded. OGM isn't everything. I kind of think S and Z finally winning their beloved gold well over rrated. Not only did they get beat in the freeskate they just didn't really have "it" factor; it was all business to grab their gold. They skate beautifully but their time in a way seemed in the past.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast