Worlds podium? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Worlds podium?

DianaSelene

Medalist
I have to agree I find K and S undermarked especially in PCS. I know we all have our favourites; sadly there is only one OGM and three spots on the podium. Someone is going home emptyhanded. OGM isn't everything. I kind of think S and Z finally winning their beloved gold well over rrated. Not only did they get beat in the freeskate they just didn't really have "it" factor; it was all business to grab their gold. They skate beautifully but their time in a way seemed in the past.

I do think S/Z were overmarked.

DianaSelene

Medalist
If Pang & Tong were not undermarked in the SP they would have won in Vancouver. Of course that is the result almost nobody wanted, as everyone wanted either: a) the legends Shen & Zhou winning, b) the Germans who had been the top team of that quad winning, 3)the Russian streak to continue, so there is no way that undesired result was going to let be happen which explains their SP score 4 points lower than Worlds where the scoring was generally lower, for the exact same performance essentialy. TPTB didnt mind them winning Worlds, but definitely not the Olympics. Shen & Zhous so so LP was the best of the 3 viable candidates who were left in contention after the SP, the other two who crashed and burned, so by default they limped to their long awaited OGM in mediocre fashion, losing the LP phase by several points to a non gold medal contender. It also makes the Shen & Zhou fanatics who are so sure they would have won if healthy over Totmianina & Marinin in 2006 and crowed so for years look like idiots since after Vancouver Shen & Zhou have still yet to deliver a single Olympics that would have come close to beating Totmianina & Marinin in at the Turin Olympics.

I haven't heard people before say that healthy S/Z would have beaten T/M. But if there are, they're wrong. They would not and should not have won. Their programs and skating were quite inferior to those of T/M.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Who are people thinking the 3rd medalist at Worlds will be? Chan, Takahashi, and... Hanyu? Fernandez? Kozuka? Abbott? Gatchinski? I mean there's a chance someone like Brezina or Amodio (assuming he's healed in time) could sneak in there. I was thinking Fernandez was a pretty sure bet for the 3rd spot on the podium but then Euros happened. No one's seen Kozuka skate for awhile, so I have no clue what kind of form he is. I'd love to see Hanyu get on the podium, and we saw at the GPF the judges are willing the give him huge scores even already, but will his stamina hold up and can he handle the pressure? I thought Abbott too but he was just ok score wise (and pretty bad tech-wise) at the Challenge Cup.

I wouldn't bet on anything.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I haven't heard people before say that healthy S/Z would have beaten T/M. But if there are, they're wrong. They would not and should not have won. Their programs and skating were quite inferior to those of T/M.

I've heard it said quite often. T/M unfortunately had the position of being the top Russian couple after B/S, which meant suspicion was cast pretty instantly on their success.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I've heard it said quite often. T/M unfortunately had the position of being the top Russian couple after B/S, which meant suspicion was cast pretty instantly on their success.

Plus they had the "boring" tag which in a way they were, but they were still excellent and managed what Shen & Zhou never proved they were able to do, skating their very best at the Olympics. I would like anyone to even try and dispute T&M from Turin would have crushed S&Z from Vancouver. If anyone is lucky it seems it is S&Z that they came back when the Germans were in a major slump and that T&M did not attempt their rumoured comeback.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Who are people thinking the 3rd medalist at Worlds will be? Chan, Takahashi, and... Hanyu? Fernandez? Kozuka? Abbott? Gatchinski? I mean there's a chance someone like Brezina or Amodio (assuming he's healed in time) could sneak in there. I was thinking Fernandez was a pretty sure bet for the 3rd spot on the podium but then Euros happened. No one's seen Kozuka skate for awhile, so I have no clue what kind of form he is. I'd love to see Hanyu get on the podium, and we saw at the GPF the judges are willing the give him huge scores even already, but will his stamina hold up and can he handle the pressure? I thought Abbott too but he was just ok score wise (and pretty bad tech-wise) at the Challenge Cup.

I think 2 out of Abbott, Hanyu, Fernandez will medal at Worlds. I dont see Takahashi as a lock for the podium as others do. His performances at 4CCs were weak and easily beatable by many skaters, none of whom were even there though. Fernandez was awful at Europeans but I have a feeling he will be back at his early season level or higher come Worlds.

DianaSelene

Medalist

I guess I didn't know because I wasn't reading the forum at the time. Ridiculous nevertheless that people said that...

skateflower

Match Penalty
T&M?? Does anybody even remember them at all? Their skating was major fridge break materials. I doubt they'll do well under modern CoP as their programs had very little transition.

DianaSelene

Medalist
I actually think T/M could have crushed all the teams in Vancouver if they continued skating after Torino. A few weeks ago, they were skating together at a show. They did a beautiful 3 sal throw and Marinin did a perfect 2 axel. And that's considering they don't practice for competitions anymore. On the technical side, they were often almost untouchable.

DianaSelene

Medalist
Delusional, but that's another story...

Why? Did you not see that many of their programs were technically very good? You can argue the pcs side as much as you want but you can't say anything about jumps and throws. They did them consistenly well. So who here is delusional? Is it you?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Why? Did you not see that many of their programs were technically very good? You can argue the pcs side as much as you want but you can't say anything about jumps and throws. They did them consistenly well. So who here is delusional? Is it you?

They were also very good at the non air technical elements like spins and death spirals which the Chinese and Germans are all relatively weak at. The only issue is their lifts (both the twist and overhead lift) were not the best, but satisfactory to meet the requirements of COP.

skateflower

Match Penalty
They were also very good at the non air technical elements like spins and death spirals which the Chinese and Germans are all relatively weak at. The only issue is their lifts (both the twist and overhead lift) were not the best, but satisfactory to meet the requirements of COP.

Their spins were bad before 2004 but somehow improved significantly, I'll give them some credit on this. Dead spirals? No, they were not all that impressive. I do enjoyed some of their programs from time to time in the past though.Anyway, this thread is not about them.

DianaSelene

Medalist
Their spins were bad before 2004 but somehow improved significantly, I'll give them some credit on this. Dead spirals? No, they were not all that impressive. I do enjoyed some of their programs from time to time in the past though.Anyway, this thread is not about them.

No, it's not. But either way, good spins or bad spins, good death spirals or bad death spirals, they were untouchable. Let's see the record: only 1 second place finish in 02-03 (the rest are 1st), 2 seconds in 03-04, and only first the next two seasons. They could be beaten by someone in the olympics? Even by S/Z? Not likely. ;)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think 2 out of Abbott, Hanyu, Fernandez will medal at Worlds. I dont see Takahashi as a lock for the podium as others do. His performances at 4CCs were weak and easily beatable by many skaters, none of whom were even there though. Fernandez was awful at Europeans but I have a feeling he will be back at his early season level or higher come Worlds.

Takahashi isn't a lock, but his PCS will allow him to get the scores needed to medal with skates that are just decent tech wise, which you can't say for the others. I'd also add Gatchinski in that group, he medaled last year and was quite good at Europeans, winning silver and beating all those other guys, it's probably giving him confidence and momentum going into Worlds. Chan is a lock, the remaining 2 spots will consist of, IMO: Takahashi, Hanyu, Fernandez, Kozuka, Abbott, Gatchinski. If Brezina and Joubert go for quads in SP and 2 in FS and are successful I will throw them into that pool as well.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I cant see Joubert medalling even after the Challenge Cup. Yeah it was good for him to skate so well and win there, but look at how super low his PCS were compared to the others, especialy Abbott. There is no way Worlds will have enough men splatter (the whole group of about 7 you listed) for him to medal, even if he skates his best.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I cant see Joubert medalling even after the Challenge Cup. Yeah it was good for him to skate so well and win there, but look at how super low his PCS were compared to the others, especialy Abbott. There is no way Worlds will have enough men splatter (the whole group of about 7 you listed) for him to medal, even if he skates his best.

If Joubert goes for 2 quads in SP again and 2 in the FS (maybe 3? He's tried it before), considering Worlds are in France, I think he could get bronze. I don't think it will happen but it COULD.

The field is so deep I just worry about Rippon. He could skate his absolute best and end up in 8th-10th place, and maybe as far down as like 15th if the European men deliver. Gah. We need some fresh blood in the men's field in the USFS. Hope Farris and Brown transition smoothly to seniors.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
If Joubert goes for 2 quads in SP again and 2 in the FS (maybe 3? He's tried it before), considering Worlds are in France, I think he could get bronze. I don't think it will happen but it COULD.

So basically he has to do a jump competition beyond what he has ever done in his life even while clearly past his prime, and land everything perfectly, then hope for enough mistakes as well, and he might get the bronze. That is the equivalent of a Hail Mary.

^ Brian just leaves too many points on the table, even if he lands his quads. He did not do a 3A in combination, he only did a 3Lz+2T, and he did not do a third combo at all. (He could at least have gone 3F+2T+2T on his last jumping pass.)

Still, I hope he makes the podium. :yes: