Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Worlds podium?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    I have to agree I find K and S undermarked especially in PCS. I know we all have our favourites; sadly there is only one OGM and three spots on the podium. Someone is going home emptyhanded. OGM isn't everything. I kind of think S and Z finally winning their beloved gold well over rrated. Not only did they get beat in the freeskate they just didn't really have "it" factor; it was all business to grab their gold. They skate beautifully but their time in a way seemed in the past.
    I'm sorry but I don't agree about your comment about S/Z. I personally think they have the IT factor and they were actually better than before, each time around. They even have more difficult technical content then when they were younger. So although it was not perfect not winning the FS to get the gold, the gold was really well deserved.

Custom Title
    It is OT a little, but...

I am glad that a lot of 'used-to-be-readig-only' members started posting in this forum, while senior members educate us newbies(!) with their very informative, professional and/or sometimes merciless (sorry!) comments.
    At the same time, however, I feel sad to see some of the senior members, those who are (seemingly) based in Europe, seem to have stopped posting or seldom post anymore.

Figure skating, which is one of many sports I have loved over the decades, was born in Europe.
    The European Championships has longer history than the Worlds. Winning the European title is more prestigious, some would say.
    In this regard, I think highly of (respect) figure skating in Europe itself, skaters in Europe, skating fans in Europe; not only competitive skating I mean, because they produce great ice shows/galas sush as 'Art on Ice'.

As a long-time luker myself on this forum, I always enjoyed, valued, and was fascinated by opinions, viewpoints, suggestions, small criticisms, and/or typical European sense of humor (lol!) from these seinor members. I really miss them now.

Yes, this is one online free discussion board out of the millions. We can come, we can go anytime as we wish. I know, but still...
    Since this Worlds, the biggest competition of the season, is in Nice, France, I have a hope some of them may change mind and come back posting.

Sorry for the off topic everyone. My apologies in advance if my post sounded bothersome to you.

To Administrator, please delete this post if it turns out inappropriate.Thanks.
    Last edited by deedee1; 03-10-2012 at 03:41 AM.

Banned
    I have to agree I find K and S undermarked especially in PCS. I know we all have our favourites; sadly there is only one OGM and three spots on the podium. Someone is going home emptyhanded. OGM isn't everything. I kind of think S and Z finally winning their beloved gold well over rrated. Not only did they get beat in the freeskate they just didn't really have "it" factor; it was all business to grab their gold. They skate beautifully but their time in a way seemed in the past.
    If Pang & Tong were not undermarked in the SP they would have won in Vancouver. Of course that is the result almost nobody wanted, as everyone wanted either: a) the legends Shen & Zhou winning, b) the Germans who had been the top team of that quad winning, 3)the Russian streak to continue, so there is no way that undesired result was going to let be happen which explains their SP score 4 points lower than Worlds where the scoring was generally lower, for the exact same performance essentialy. TPTB didnt mind them winning Worlds, but definitely not the Olympics. Shen & Zhous so so LP was the best of the 3 viable candidates who were left in contention after the SP, the other two who crashed and burned, so by default they limped to their long awaited OGM in mediocre fashion, losing the LP phase by several points to a non gold medal contender. It also makes the Shen & Zhou fanatics who are so sure they would have won if healthy over Totmianina & Marinin in 2006 and crowed so for years look like idiots since after Vancouver Shen & Zhou have still yet to deliver a single Olympics that would have come close to beating Totmianina & Marinin in at the Turin Olympics.
    Last edited by pangtongfan; 03-10-2012 at 04:34 AM.

Custom Title
    If anyone was undermarked in Vancouver, I'd argue it was Pang/Tong. Since then, however, I'll agree that K/S PCS - especially for that lovely long program - have been less than they could've been. I'm fine with S/Z winning - S/S didn't step up, P/T weren't as good in general, K/S were overmarked, etc.

Banned
    K/S used to be one of the most held up teams and continously scored high for programs filled with major and glaring miscues, but they have been undermarked in PCS for the past 2 seasons despite huge improvements in their skating and program quality. The difference between being Russian #1 and Russian #2.

Banned
    K/S had been massively overscored in PCS in the past. They're not being undermarked at all. Their PCS this season is only behind S/S and V/T. I How much more do you want to give them? Their lines are still terrible.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    If anyone was undermarked in Vancouver, I'd argue it was Pang/Tong. Since then, however, I'll agree that K/S PCS - especially for that lovely long program - have been less than they could've been. I'm fine with S/Z winning - S/S didn't step up, P/T weren't as good in general, K/S were overmarked, etc.
    I'm fine with S/Z winning too, P/T could have won but they made too many silly mistakes in the short especially the one point deduction for going over the music. S/S and K/S let their nerves get the best of them; each lost their footing because of that. K/S did a great job for only being a pair for 3½ years at their first Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    K/S used to be one of the most held up teams and continously scored high for programs filled with major and glaring miscues, but they have been undermarked in PCS for the past 2 seasons despite huge improvements in their skating and program quality. The difference between being Russian #1 and Russian #2.
    Judges couldn’t care less about who is 1st or 2nd in any nation, that is more of something that goes on inside of a skating fan's head. If it was true Mukhortova and Trankov wouldn't have beat K/S and they did right after K/S won nationals so that theory doesn't hold up. Making mistakes falls under GOE not PCS, it's more the judges not understanding how to score the deductions in certain categories. K/S getting a 6 or 7 in CH or SS from any judge is ridiculous and underscored.

Quote Originally Posted by skateflower View Post
    K/S had been massively overscored in PCS in the past. They're not being undermarked at all. Their PCS this season is only behind S/S and V/T. I How much more do you want to give them? Their lines are still terrible.
    Terrible? Their lines are not any more terrible that anyone else, that is usually the same old excuse made by someone who just dislikes a team. It's the same bashing D/C are now going though.
    Last edited by mousepotato; 03-10-2012 at 02:04 PM.

Custom Title
    Who are people thinking the 3rd medalist at Worlds will be? Chan, Takahashi, and... Hanyu? Fernandez? Kozuka? Abbott? Gatchinski? I mean there's a chance someone like Brezina or Amodio (assuming he's healed in time) could sneak in there. I was thinking Fernandez was a pretty sure bet for the 3rd spot on the podium but then Euros happened. No one's seen Kozuka skate for awhile, so I have no clue what kind of form he is. I'd love to see Hanyu get on the podium, and we saw at the GPF the judges are willing the give him huge scores even already, but will his stamina hold up and can he handle the pressure? I thought Abbott too but he was just ok score wise (and pretty bad tech-wise) at the Challenge Cup.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Who are people thinking the 3rd medalist at Worlds will be? Chan, Takahashi, and... Hanyu? Fernandez? Kozuka? Abbott? Gatchinski? I mean there's a chance someone like Brezina or Amodio (assuming he's healed in time) could sneak in there. I was thinking Fernandez was a pretty sure bet for the 3rd spot on the podium but then Euros happened. No one's seen Kozuka skate for awhile, so I have no clue what kind of form he is. I'd love to see Hanyu get on the podium, and we saw at the GPF the judges are willing the give him huge scores even already, but will his stamina hold up and can he handle the pressure? I thought Abbott too but he was just ok score wise (and pretty bad tech-wise) at the Challenge Cup.
    Hanyu has a fantastic program and unlike Chan, he emotes and performs. I hope he'll surprise us and beat that robotic and often messy Chan at the worlds.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateflower View Post
    Hanyu has a fantastic program and unlike Chan, he emotes and performs. I hope he'll surprise us and beat that robotic and often messy Chan at the worlds.
    He won't beat Chan, but he could maybe beat Takahashi if Dai is off. I hope Fernandez comes back strong, he was sooo good this season until Euros.

I do think S/Z were overmarked.

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    If Pang & Tong were not undermarked in the SP they would have won in Vancouver. Of course that is the result almost nobody wanted, as everyone wanted either: a) the legends Shen & Zhou winning, b) the Germans who had been the top team of that quad winning, 3)the Russian streak to continue, so there is no way that undesired result was going to let be happen which explains their SP score 4 points lower than Worlds where the scoring was generally lower, for the exact same performance essentialy. TPTB didnt mind them winning Worlds, but definitely not the Olympics. Shen & Zhous so so LP was the best of the 3 viable candidates who were left in contention after the SP, the other two who crashed and burned, so by default they limped to their long awaited OGM in mediocre fashion, losing the LP phase by several points to a non gold medal contender. It also makes the Shen & Zhou fanatics who are so sure they would have won if healthy over Totmianina & Marinin in 2006 and crowed so for years look like idiots since after Vancouver Shen & Zhou have still yet to deliver a single Olympics that would have come close to beating Totmianina & Marinin in at the Turin Olympics.
    I haven't heard people before say that healthy S/Z would have beaten T/M. But if there are, they're wrong. They would not and should not have won. Their programs and skating were quite inferior to those of T/M.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    I wouldn't bet on anything.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DianaSelene View Post
    I haven't heard people before say that healthy S/Z would have beaten T/M. But if there are, they're wrong. They would not and should not have won. Their programs and skating were quite inferior to those of T/M.
    I've heard it said quite often. T/M unfortunately had the position of being the top Russian couple after B/S, which meant suspicion was cast pretty instantly on their success.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    I've heard it said quite often. T/M unfortunately had the position of being the top Russian couple after B/S, which meant suspicion was cast pretty instantly on their success.
    Plus they had the "boring" tag which in a way they were, but they were still excellent and managed what Shen & Zhou never proved they were able to do, skating their very best at the Olympics. I would like anyone to even try and dispute T&M from Turin would have crushed S&Z from Vancouver. If anyone is lucky it seems it is S&Z that they came back when the Germans were in a major slump and that T&M did not attempt their rumoured comeback.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast