Worlds podium? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Worlds podium?

deedee1

Record Breaker
My dream podium ver. 4: Pairs

Before I post my predictions in 'Predictions' thread in Worlds 2012, let me finish my dream podium here in The Edge.

1 Yuko KAVAGUTI/Sasha SMIRNOV
2/3 Aolina SAVCHENKO/Robin SZOLKOWY or Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR/Maxim TRANKOV
4 Stefania BERTON/Ondrej HOTAREK

Yuko and Sasha is my sentimental favorite for Gold this year.

I guess the Olympic Gold Medal at Sochi seems too far to grab for Yuko & Sasha by now, because of Tatiana & Maxim.

But considering all the efforts, hard works and sacrifices they have made for the federation in order to keep the 'needed' spots at Worlds/Olympics all those years when Russia seemingly had no other top pair teams after Totmianina/Marinin at Torino 2006, I believe they deserve, at least, one World title. And this year's might be their last chance for the title.
I normally donot like 'politiking' by ANY federations, but I hope Yuko & Sasha will have two clean skates in Nice, and with the enough supports from their federation, they somehow manage to grab that title.

For Stefania & Ondrej, I simply love this Italian team.

They have good programs every year that I always enjoy, compared to some of other teams; where I see rather boring programs in general; ignore the music, just thow in this twist here, and thow out that jump there.

The other thing I love about this team is, when they finish their program, they greet to the judges and the audience like everybody else does, and then they greet each other with saying something like "Thank you for being my partner" or "Thank you, I enjoyed your company" every time, regardless of their perforamnce good or bad.
It is really a good attitude to show enough respect to its partner, especailly the descipline like Pairs which has dangerous elements to deal with together, such as lifts, twists and throw jumps.

All four teams I mentioned the above have been suffering from a certain injury respectively. I hope they healed by now, and can have decent practices till Worlds. Good luck to them!

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Oops I forgot about Fernandez yep he could even win it all but Chan and Tak would have to fall apart. Yeah, that's right I totally forgot the matrix is tradition. Okay just to have some fun here silverlake 22 (please don't be offended the opportunity was just too tempting) it was tradition that Susan Lucci lose the Emmy over and over, it is tradition that you go to a fancy hotel and get rubber chicken, it's tradition that Meryl Streep is on the worst dressed list, it's tradition that Lindsay Lohan does something revolting, it's tradition that the Canadian ladies will choke - tradition isn't always so good. I wonder if Brian will retire this year finally or will he skate on and on like that titanic son "my heart will go on" or the song that never ends??? :)

spikydurian

Medalist
Okay just to have some fun here silverlake 22 (please don't be offended the opportunity was just too tempting) it was tradition that Susan Lucci lose the Emmy over and over, it is tradition that you go to a fancy hotel and get rubber chicken, it's tradition that Meryl Streep is on the worst dressed list, it's tradition that Lindsay Lohan does something revolting, it's tradition that the Canadian ladies will choke - tradition isn't always so good. I wonder if Brian will retire this year finally or will he skate on and on like that titanic son "my heart will go on" or the song that never ends??? :)
LOL, you are always so funny.:laugh:

b-man

Final Flight
I think it'll happen, fwiw. Two Americans, two Japanese and one Italian in the top five.
1. Kostner
2. Asada
3. Wagner
4. Polina K. -very underrated
5. Akiko
6. Leonova
7. Czisny- struggling, but still top ten
8. Murakami
9. Elene G.
10. Kexin Z., replacing Korpi in 10th

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I think you may be right b man. If Alissa lands 2 or 3 jumps, she could take 5-7. I don't think she will place below 10th even if she bombs big time. I see 1-6 as skating better than Alissa can at a big time competition like Worllds. Polina is so new and hence under rated. I love her. But I think she is amazing and I think she will score big as "the Russian newcomer." Interesting that you don't see Makarova in 10th place with Kiira out. I think Elene competes poorly. Murakami may do very well. If she skates as well as she can or close, she deserves to beat Alissa. It will be interesting to see how the judges deal with Alissa bombing this time and how many points her spins, spirals, skating skills, beauty will be worth this year.

I wish i had some confidence in her, but 7th place may be the best she can do. If Elene skates like she is capable she could be in 8th or 9th- no way to know how much the judges may hold her up for the beautiful elements, even if she manages only a couple clean triples.

R.D.

Record Breaker
If Alissa lands 2 or 3 jumps, she could take 5-7. I don't think she will place below 10th even if she bombs big time.

Disagree...

As I pointed out in another thread (or at least I think it was another thread), Czisny WILL find herself in mid-teens if she has a repeat of Challenge cup. Her CC score (152) would have been good enough for 13th at last year's worlds, 14th at 2010 worlds.

Fortunately, odds are she won't repeat that monstrosity- but unfortunately, odds are strongly against her skating cleanly too. If I were a betting man (I'm not), based on her skates this season I would have her making 3-4 major mistakes throughout her SP and FS and placing in the 7th-9th category.

For Wagner, this would mean that if she wants to do her part in getting back the US third spot, she should shoot for ~4th. If she can skate like 4CC or even nationals, that is definitely doable IMHO.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Going by Season Best Total Scores, Wagner is highly likely to medal. She has the highest SB and I would put the top 4 in a group consisting of Wagner, Asada, Kostner and Lipnitskaia, with Suzuki, Liza Tukt, and Leonova closely behind. Czisny has the 8th highest PB but she is so inconsistent and has had also some terrible skates. She needs to be in the top ten, for herself and for the US. Assuming Wagner would do no worse than 4th, then it is highly possible for the US to gain back the 3rd spot. Neither of them can afford to bomb.

b-man

Final Flight
Going by Season Best Total Scores, Wagner is highly likely to medal. She has the highest SB and I would put the top 4 in a group consisting of Wagner, Asada, Kostner and Lipnitskaia, with Suzuki, Liza Tukt, and Leonova closely behind.

Lipnitskaia and Tuk are not age eligible for worlds. Lipnitskaia won junior world. Tuk sat out junior worlds this year to prepare and get an early start for next year.

fallingsk8er

On the Ice
Men:

Chan
Fernandez
Abbott

Ladies:

Kostner
Suzuki
Asada
- the US ladies are pretty much a lock for 3 spots, though.

fairly4

Medalist
men
patrick 1st
daisuke 2nd
either -yuzuru-javier, jeremy, arthur for 3rd

ladies

mao
caroline
ashley-alissa

alena
akiko
rounds out 6

victoria
polina korb
kexin
kanko
yreatha
elene
rounds out the 12

my bias is here for dance

d/w 1st
v/m 2nd
p/b if stays in for 3rd-otherwise i have shibs for 3rd
shibutanis for 3rd/4th.
boborova/soloview for 4th/5th
weaver poje for 5th/6th.

pairs

savenchenkow/solzkowy-1st
trankov for 2nd
pang/tong for 3rd.

icellist

On the Ice
Ladies:
G. Kostner
S. Suzuki
B. Asada
4. Wagner or Czisny
5. Leonova
6. Wagner or Czisny
7. Gedvanishvili
8. Murakami
9. Korebeynikova
10. Zhang
11. Helgesson
12. Marchei
13. Glebova
14. Lacoste
15. Kwak
16. Silete
Japan, US and Italy(barely) earns 3 spots and Russia (barely) looses theirs. Georgia and China earn two spots. Sweden barely missing the target.
Suzuki really deserves to shine though

Men:
G. Chan
S. Takahashi
B. Abbott/Kozuka/Hanyu/Fernandez/Brezina/Verner/Joubert...
Not even going to bother. Too open
Hoping that Takahashi wins though...

Dance:
G. V/M
S. D/W
B. P/B
4. W/P
5. Shibs
6. B/S or I/L
really similar to GPF

Pairs:
G. S/S
S. V/T
B. K/S
4. P/T
5. S/H
6. D/R
7. B/L
8. D/C or M/B
9. T/T
10. B/H
11. D/C or M/B

yellownote

Match Penalty
Dream podium for the men:
Gold - Chan - will skate two killer programs to shut the haters up
Silver - Fernandez
Bronze - Song

Dance:
Gold - V/M
Silver - D/W
Bronze - W/P

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Has anyone seen the medals and the small medals? I wonder if they are a motivator to make the podium (LOL). I have seen some rather ugh medals - like the standard ones from the trophy shop are nicer lol. I did like the potato chip ones from Oly 10 thought. I am most curious in dance who will win gold between D and W and V and M and can Patrick keep it together for world gold or will it be Daisuke or will we have a "darker horse" like Fernandez or Hanyu or Kozuka or perhaps Abbott. I still think the French men would be lucky to win bronze or silver but it could happen if people crash and burn. It will also be a battle royale for Pang and Tong against the Germans and V and T for world gold. Poor Kavaguti and Smirnov most likely will be left medaless.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I think it'll be P/T left out in the cold. All the PCS won't help if they make their usual UR/pops/level errors. I wouldn't be surprised to see D/R or others beat them too.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Has anyone seen the medals and the small medals? I wonder if they are a motivator to make the podium (LOL). I have seen some rather ugh medals - like the standard ones from the trophy shop are nicer lol. I did like the potato chip ones from Oly 10 thought. I am most curious in dance who will win gold between D and W and V and M and can Patrick keep it together for world gold or will it be Daisuke or will we have a "darker horse" like Fernandez or Hanyu or Kozuka or perhaps Abbott. I still think the French men would be lucky to win bronze or silver but it could happen if people crash and burn. It will also be a battle royale for Pang and Tong against the Germans and V and T for world gold. Poor Kavaguti and Smirnov most likely will be left medaless.

I don't think so, on the contrary; K/S will be battling with S/H ( seems they are the new favorite chinese pair ) for a podium
It will be P/T that will be left in the cold, sadly their time has passed, old, UR Issues and with many mistakes I can see them dropping out of top 5 surpassed by B/L and D/R

Last edited: