Effective use of edges | Golden Skate

Effective use of edges

krenseby

Final Flight
I've been reflecting lately on the idea that skaters who use edges effectively build speed effortlessly and create a sense of effortless flow on the ice. With this in mind, can you guys point out a specific section of a program by a lady where the use of edges is absolutely fantastic? I just need a YouTube example of great edge use so that I can take a look at it and analyze it a bit.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
You would be better advised to look at the dancers for great use of edges. D&W, V&M, and the Shibs all have to have great edges, or they would never be able to get level 4 on step sequences.

Another thing to check out is Charlie & Meryl's pair spin in this year's FD, where all the spinning action is generated by edges, rather than by pulling in the arms when they do a back camel entry into a pair spin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfr4GAOjRdU

Kim Navarro, who was the IN commentator for the US Nationals FD mentioned this, and it is quite remarkable

Among the ladies, Carolina Kostner, when she is really on her game, has wonderful speed and edging.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Yuka Sato in her footwork in 1993-1994 actually gains speed while doing intricate steps. Irina doing her COE spiral looked like she was accelerating; she rarely need to do crossovers during the sequence.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
most of Irina's step sequences were on one foot-pretty hard to do a crossover that way, now that I think about it.

I always think of Yuka when I think of edges. I'll have to check out Irina on your recommendation, Doris. Another one whose edges wow me is Gordeyeva.

KKonas

Medalist
I've been reflecting lately on the idea that skaters who use edges effectively build speed effortlessly and create a sense of effortless flow on the ice. With this in mind, can you guys point out a specific section of a program by a lady where the use of edges is absolutely fantastic? I just need a YouTube example of great edge use so that I can take a look at it and analyze it a bit.

It is very difficult to determine edge quality by just watching skating on TV or on your computer. TV cameras usually don't focus on that aspect and even if the camera does catch a close shot of the blades, you don't often "hear" it.
Sitting close to the ice watching and listening is the best way to learn about edging - like at practices, where I have spent many, many hours over nearly 30 years.

Doris is right in that dancers generally have the best edges because none of the steps in the CD's include crossovers, so you have to gain speed thru your edges. Compulsory figures also provided that education for singles but although they were not designed to master speed they were excellent for mastering edges.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Jeremy, who started out as an ice dancer, has incredible edges. No wonder he and Yuka get along so well! If the pair of them were traveling down the ice, you wouldn't hear a thing.