All Things Ice Dance: Canadian | Page 41 | Golden Skate

All Things Ice Dance: Canadian

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I thought ( and guess I still do ) , that R/H's SD looked fun and promising at Thornhill , but the fact that I don't see a lot of improvement here makes me nervous..will they get it cleaned up ? Can-can may be wildly exuberant , but it shouldn't really be wild . High kicks need straight knees and pointed toes , and splits ( like a lot of things ) should not be attempted unless you can actually do them. ( On a side note, this goes for G/P's upright split lift, too . Piper's wrenched supporting knee doesn't create an attractive line ).

So..a cute SD, but it'll need a lot of work to achieve the crispness and polish it demands , and I begin to have doubts ...I know they've started out rough in past seasons.. but from what I've seen, both P/I and O/W look far more ready at this stage, and it won't do to get behind in the 3-5 race.

I can only echo what has been said already about R/H's FD ..bit of a hot mess.This is not a worthy follow-up to their tango.( Don't wait your turn , kids.)

P/I also need to work their polka , but I have to say, I feel much more confident that they'll get the guidance they need...TBH, I think polka works best done to a real polka , but I don't think theirs is all that unworkable, with yet more drilling.

I'm not too worried about their lifts right now , they've got a lot to do to put last year behind them, and I think we'll see the lifts evolve as the rest becomes more second nature.

O/W won't hit those international judges 'til late in the GP , so I guess all they can do in the meantime is polish, polish, polish.

G/P as I said ( I guess on the competition thread) , you can see an improvement over last year, and I must say it was a relief to see that there was not a great difference in their marks and P/I's at SLC.

But like R/H's choreo ,I felt G/P's FD was a collection of tricks and highlights ( as many as time will allow ) squeezed in without much regard to music , and devoid of meaning. There were some very nice positions hit here and there , but to me, that doesn't constitute a program..earns a big ho-hum from me.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Glad that V/M sound confident that Moir will be able to compete at Skate Canada. Hope that he is feeling better soon.

Meanwhile, in answer to a query today, Kwong had very positive comments about their new programs.

Craig Drebit ‏@CraigDrebit
@skatingpj Good to know! Have you seen V/M's new programs?
8:38 AM - 4 Oct 12

Pj Kwong ‏@skatingpj
@CraigDrebit I saw their SD - DIVINE! Have heard FD is glorious too! #cbcskates
8:40 AM - 4 Oct 12

And the tiniest of silver linings to V/M's withdrawal from Finlandia:
SC FB announcement has a nice photo (maybe new from 2012 HP Camp?) of them in their grey SC jackets.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...set=a.476247807038.268203.129815677038&type=1

skatingfan04

Final Flight
I thought ( and guess I still do ) , that R/H's SD looked fun and promising at Thornhill , but the fact that I don't see a lot of improvement here makes me nervous..will they get it cleaned up ? Can-can may be wildly exuberant , but it shouldn't really be wild . High kicks need straight knees and pointed toes , and splits ( like a lot of things ) should not be attempted unless you can actually do them. ( On a side note, this goes for G/P's upright split lift, too . Piper's wrenched supporting knee doesn't create an attractive line ).

So..a cute SD, but it'll need a lot of work to achieve the crispness and polish it demands , and I begin to have doubts ...I know they've started out rough in past seasons.. but from what I've seen, both P/I and O/W look far more ready at this stage, and it won't do to get behind in the 3-5 race.

I can only echo what has been said already about R/H's FD ..bit of a hot mess.This is not a worthy follow-up to their tango.( Don't wait your turn , kids.)

P/I also need to work their polka , but I have to say, I feel much more confident that they'll get the guidance they need...TBH, I think polka works best done to a real polka , but I don't think theirs is all that unworkable, with yet more drilling.

I'm not too worried about their lifts right now , they've got a lot to do to put last year behind them, and I think we'll see the lifts evolve as the rest becomes more second nature.

O/W won't hit those international judges 'til late in the GP , so I guess all they can do in the meantime is polish, polish, polish.

G/P as I said ( I guess on the competition thread) , you can see an improvement over last year, and I must say it was a relief to see that there was not a great difference in their marks and P/I's at SLC.

But like R/H's choreo ,I felt G/P's FD was a collection of tricks and highlights ( as many as time will allow ) squeezed in without much regard to music , and devoid of meaning. There were some very nice positions hit here and there , but to me, that doesn't constitute a program..earns a big ho-hum from me.

ITA. With all of it.:biggrin:

Also breathing a sigh of relief for V/M right now. Glad to hear the injury isn't too serious. With Skate Canada only a few weeks away, I think it was very wise of them not to risk making it worse. Thank heavens, because when I read about their withdrawl this morning I nearly fell off of my chair. The worst case scenario popped into my head. Wishing Scott a speedy recovery.

Still, should be a good weekend. I'm super, super excited to see W/P's material. The SD goes tomorrow at Onredj Nepala, and the FD on Saturday. I must say, I'm looking forward to both programs. The SD sounds lovely (I'm a sucker for the Sound of Music), and I'm intrigued by the FD. It's a risk, to be sure, but given how well they handelled Je Suis Malade (which was itself much more like a "contemporary" program than most), as well as the way that they skated some of the more "modern" dance-like components of this season's Stars on Ice (like the boy's group routine with the spotlights, which looked very much like a contemporary piece choreographed on the floor, and which Andrew was superb in), I think it's one that might really pay off for them. I believe there is a live stream to the competiton, and I'll post a link if I can get my hands on one.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
There's a link in the Ondrej Nepala thread , and it works beautifully..(saw a bit of the men today ). The SD comes at 4am tomorrow for me ( PDT) .. and I will be there..:biggrin: .. W/P will be the 6th couple to skate.

slipslidin

On the Ice
I've had high hopes for several dance teams, this year, and so far I've been a teeny bit underwhelmed by the reality. Weaver and Poje, it's up to you now. Hope you bring it!

skatingfan04

Final Flight
There's a link in the Ondrej Nepala thread , and it works beautifully..(saw a bit of the men today ). The SD comes at 4am tomorrow for me ( PDT) .. and I will be there..:biggrin: .. W/P will be the 6th couple to skate.

That would be 7am eastern, correct? I'm out in Ontario, and I absolutely refuse to miss it!:biggrin:

callalily

On the Ice
I know I'm flogging a dead horse, but, in my opinion, there are three Canadian teams who finished very close at nationals and another that should have been in a similar range. I thought, at that time, that if one of those teams wants to succeed, they should leave Canada. One of them has done so. It may not be too late for the others. Why is it that our dance teams need to escape to find success? Are they being stifled? Is it too small a pond? I honestly don't think that Tracy Wilson, or David Wilson can save them.

With the success of Zoueva/Shpilband's students over the last few years, and now the emergence of Krylova/Camerlengo as another hot coaching team, it's no wonder teams are drawn to Detroit - it's the mecca at the moment for ice dance (in a few years who knows - these things ebb and flow). But right now the top four teams at last year's Worlds are there, and it helps to train alongside the best. Could be very good for P/I.

Nonetheless, Carol Lane has had significant success with C/P and seemingly now with G/P. Maybe the environment is just not the best fit for R/H for some reason.

slipslidin

On the Ice
YB (yeah but), I wasn't just talking about Detroit, The Duchesnays actually left to skate for France, thereby making a career for themselves, D/L left to train with Zazoui or might have been left by the wayside. Wing and Lowe did finish their amateur career under the guidance of Marina Zoueva, as did McCurdy and Correno. And of course, Bourne and Kraatz ran the gamut of Russian coaches, in their quest for success. My hat is off to the teams who have the confidence and ambition to step up to the big leagues.

I can't help noting that both Carol Lane teams you mention include Paul Poirier. My contention is that the ranks of world-class teams are full of excellent male skaters and it remains to be seen if Paul is so fabulous that he'll rise to the top with whatever partner.

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
YB (yeah but), I wasn't just talking about Detroit, The Duchesnays actually left to skate for France, thereby making a career for themselves,

Kharis is Filipina. We'd love to have her and Asher :):):):):)

skatingfan04

Final Flight
See you in the morning in the virtual world of Goldenskate then, Colleen,
I am crossing my fingers for W/P to rock it from day one.
Thanks for the heads-up!

I'll be here as well. I'm literally counting the hours! Colleen, if I were you, I'd go for a triple espresso.;) They've gotten me through more all night study sessions than I'd care to admit, and quite a few figure skating competitions being live streamed at unholy hours as well. I have no doubt this will be worth it, though.:popcorn:

callalily

On the Ice
^^^
Well, it is a good question. Maybe we could look at how many dance coaches over the years working in Canada (regardless of where they were born) had personal experience with, or exposure to, the very top levels of competition. One of Wilson/McCall's coaches (alongside Marijane Stong) was Bernard Ford, former multiple World champion who moved to Canada from the UK. Marina Zoueva first came to Ottawa and coached there, but really began building top teams when she worked with Shpilband...did they complement each other in some necessary way that allowed them both to achieve great success? They had extensive Russian training from Tchaikovskaya (Zoueva) and Pakhomova (Shpilband), Zoueva was 5th at senior Worlds, and Shpilband won junior Worlds. Zoueva's experience with G/G is relevant too, having been alongside them when they won an Oly gold. Carol Lane is a UK bronze medalist, her husband Jon was a World medalist and won bronze in the Olympics demo event for ice dance at Grenoble, her other co-coach Juris Rasgulajevs won gold at junior worlds.

We have many excellent developmental coaches in Canada (eg. Paul Macintosh, David Islam, etc.) but perhaps previous experience at a high international level is a key factor in taking teams to the very top in ice dance. Tracy Wilson, who has that experience, unfortunately is not coaching ice dance teams. Lane/Lane/Rasgulajevs have that experience, and are making good inroads on the world scene. It will be interesting to see what Dubreuil/Lauzon do as coaches, also Wing/Lowe who trained with Zoueva/Shpilband late in their career and were Olympic competitors.

Thoughts?

ETA: Beyond having had high-level international experience, extremely successful ice dance coaches have likely received their own training from former top coaches.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
^ Thanks, Macassar88.
ETA: The Moir video is from summer 2012, per Kwong's caption.

And now this too:

Pj Kwong ‏@skatingpj
I uploaded a @YouTube video http://youtu.be/HlLQ6kLZOus?a Maria Mountain of Revolution Sport Conditioning
10:07 AM - 5 Oct 12
http://twitter.com/skatingpj/status/254266589963239425
ETA: The video is 5:54 in length.​

I haven't had a chance to watch the vids yet, but Revolution is where Virtue/Moir go to work out in London, I believe?​

Last edited:

Macassar88

Medalist
^ Thanks, Macassar88.
ETA: The Moir video is from summer 2012, per Kwong's caption.

And now this too:

Pj Kwong ‏@skatingpj
I uploaded a @YouTube video http://youtu.be/HlLQ6kLZOus?a Maria Mountain of Revolution Sport Conditioning
10:07 AM - 5 Oct 12
http://twitter.com/skatingpj/status/254266589963239425
ETA: The video is 5:54 in length.​

I haven't had a chance to watch the vids yet, but Revolution is where Virtue/Moir go to work out in London, I believe?​
Yeah that's where they work out - twice a week

ice coverage

Record Breaker
And here is Kwong's CBC blog today about V/M:
Good news, bad news for Virtue and Moir
By PJ Kwong
Posted: Friday, October 5, 2012 | 03:49 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/opinion/2012/10/good-news-bad-news-for-virtue-and-moir.html

In light of Moir's injury, Kwong shares some of her summer reporting on their off-ice training regimen.

As an aside, I was quite interested and surprised to read that Virtue said, "We are restricted to being in the United States for 180 days per year."
That limit -- not even half a year -- is lower than I ever would have guessed.
I supposed that their travel to competitions and shows + summer vacation + weekends + other short trips to Canada for Skate Canada and/or promotional appearances add up to account for many of their non-US days.
But they have an extra consideration for their training schedule that Davis/White and the Shibutanis do not have (although presumably Pechalat/Bourzat, Weaver/Poje, C/L, etc., do).

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Other Canadian friends of mine have to limit their time in the States due to issues with their Ontario health plan? Could that be what this is about?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
^ Oh, thanks, Doris. If that is the case, then it would be an issue only for Canadians (and I would be wrong about P/B and C/L).

Out of ignorance, I had jumped to the conclusion that it was a US regulation for non-US citizens without green cards.

Sorry for causing any confusion.