All Things Ice Dance: Canadian | Page 42 | Golden Skate

All Things Ice Dance: Canadian

heyhey

On the Ice
Paul & Islam EX from Nebelhorn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGlL1hKBT6M&feature=plcp

I would think Tessa & Scott would have green cards by now...it isn't like there's any reason one would be denied them. So I'm guessing it's not wanting to cope with the wacko US medical system. And pay money for something they can buy more reasonably in Canada.

Hi Doris - getting a green card is not as easy especially when you don't have a US employer....but I do agree that the medical insurance coverage in the US is definitely an issue for them since figure skating is such an expensive sport...my two cents...

slipslidin

On the Ice
Thanks for the link, Doris. Alex's costume is from her Ontario days, I guess. I have often remarked, at the risk of being disowned by a family member, that I can't understand why that girl has to be dressed in empire waisted dresses made up in fabrics that are too stiff to drape properly. They are a bit like lamp shades, and not flattering to a very lovely looking girl.

emdee

Final Flight
They dont have to buy medical insurance in Canada though they will have to pay for phsio.

CAS

On the Ice
I assume the 180 days has more to do with this:
http://www.sportvisaamerica.com/
a. Amateur Athletes Seeking Short Term Training or Tournament Participation:

Amateur athletes who want to attend short term training courses or summer programs can come to the U.S. as visitors. This is also true for amateur athletes who live outside the U.S. and want to come to compete in amateur tournaments or competitions.

If the amateur athlete comes from a country that participates in the visa waiver program (most of Western Europe and Japan), then he or she can come to the U.S. for up to 90 days without a visa to receive short term training in the U.S. or participate in tournaments. If the visa waiver is not available, the athlete must apply for a B-1/B-2 Visitor Visa from the U.S. consulate in his or her country of residence. This visa would allow the athlete to stay in the U.S. up to 180 days.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thanks, CAS, for the really helpful information. So maybe other foreign skaters as well as Canadians do have to adhere to the 180-day maximum of time in the US.

As for whether Virtue/Moir have green cards, I am noooooooo expert on any of this.
But I was thinking that by choice, maybe they purposely have never applied for green cards.
For one thing, would green cards affect their tax status in the US?
As resident aliens of the US, would they owe Uncle Sam taxes on their earnings from prize money, shows, endorsements, book royalties, etc?

And would visitor visas exempt from them any US income tax obligations?

emdee

Final Flight
With all Tessa's surgeries etc I dont think they would want to lose their OHIP ( Medical insurance). If they stay more than 180 days out of the country at a stretch then they will lose it and have a waiting period to apply for it.

If they are Canadian Residents then they would pay canadian tax.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
I would think Tessa & Scott would have green cards by now...it isn't like there's any reason one would be denied them. So I'm guessing it's not wanting to cope with the wacko US medical system. And pay money for something they can buy more reasonably in Canada.

Tessa's surgeries would be fully covered in Canada with no co-pays (co-pays for doctors are illegal).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
And my hunch is that US green cards would make Virtue/Moir ineligible for Canadian health care?

My relative who has a US green card pays out of pocket for US health insurance. Receives no care from the Canadian health system.

ETA:
And just out of curiosity, I looked into my own question about tax liability. And yes, those with green cards are required to pay US income tax.
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=f3f43a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Last edited:

callalily

On the Ice
Why would V/M want green cards? They don't plan to live in the States permanently. They would be subject to double taxation (US and Canada).

I doubt that Orser's students from around the world pursue Canadian permanent residency (unless they have some special personal reason to do so).

Dragonlady

Final Flight
And my hunch is that US green cards would make Virtue/Moir ineligible for Canadian health care?

My relative who has a US green card pays out of pocket for US health insurance. Receives no care from the Canadian health system.

ETA:
And just out of curiosity, I looked into my own question about tax liability. And yes, those with green cards are required to pay US income tax.
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=f3f43a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Their homes are in Canada. Their training base is in the US. V&M are not permanent US residents hence no green cards. If they had green cards, they wouldn't be required to leave every 180 days.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Relax, everyone. :)
If you go back and read my previous posts (starting with #818), you will see that I have assumed from the very beginning that Virtue/Moir do not have -- and would not want -- US green cards, partly b/c of the tax burden.
As the discussion in this thread proceeded, I simply took the trouble to verify my original assumption about the tax disadvantage. My innocent follow-up somehow seems to have been misinterpreted as a belief that V/M "need" green cards -- which is the exact opposite of my true outlook on all this.
It has made perfect sense to me all along that V/M do not have green cards (b/c they are not permanent residents of the US, etc., etc., etc. ...).

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If a Canadian works in the US, they have to pay taxes in the US, as Gary Beacom found out. But then, I don't know whether he had a green card or not, but really any income made in the US, including illegal income (think Capone), is taxable in the US.

Which brings my qustion: do foreign athletes who win a money prize at a competition in the US pay taxes on it in the US?

I would think so. BTW, taxes paid in foreign countries comes in as a deduction in US income taxes, AFAIR. I can't say whether the reverse is true.

A discussion of the matter is here:

http://www.moneytalksnews.com/2012/06/05/ask-stacy-do-i-have-to-pay-taxes-if-im-not-in-the-u-s/

While that sounds like trouble for Debbie’s son, all is not lost. Depending on what he earned, the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion and Foreign Housing Deduction can reduce the amount of taxes he owes to zero.

emdee

Final Flight
As a Canadian any money you make in the US is taxable there. Then you lower your Canadian tax by the sum you have already paid for the uS earnings by that sum. This is if you are a Canadian resident. If you change your place of residence then you wont be taxed Canadian taxes .

I used to get stock options from my US employer and they were in a US plan. They automatically deducted non resident US tax - a small amount - and I had to fill in a form for it or they would deduct a larger amount. Then when I filed my Canadian taxes I had to deduct the amount already paid in the US from my taxes.

geoskate

On the Ice
Link to the W/P program is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTtJAjOVJB8&feature=youtu.be.

It looks to me like something that Savchenko/Solkowy might do in pairs. It should accomplish their goal of helping to show they can do a variety of styles in the free dance, since it's very different from the previous two season's ice dances.

The short dance should actually do that too, since it's a departure into very traditional ice dance, which I can't recall them doing recently.

geoskate

On the Ice
The Croatia JGP is now over. Bent/MacKeen finished in 4th, and Meng/Meng had a 6th place finish, IMO very respectable for a debut performance on the JGP.

Canada now has seven teams that have met the ISU qualification standards for Junior Words: Edwards/Pang, Bent/MacKeen, Poulin/Servant, Hasegawa/Hasegawa, Meng/Meng, Dalmer/Firus and Bruser/Lum.

heyhey

On the Ice
Hello everyone,

Nice FD program for Weaver/Poje. Tomorrow we shall see what Capellini/Lanotte's FD looks like...and before you know it Skate America will be around the corner where we have Waever/Poje vs. Davis White...anyways with the canadian junior and senior ice dance teams doing well - if I had to spend money to see a competition this year - it would be Nationals.

slipslidin

On the Ice
The Mengs were actually 5th in the free dance, .50 behind Bent and MacKeen and actually beat them in TES. Those who thought Bent and MacKeen were the 'next ones' will now have to factor in the Mengs.

Weaver and Poje's free dance is as wonderful as I hoped it would be, and I had very high hopes for them, this season. I'm not surprised that some people don't care for her costume, it seems to go with the territory, some of them are still complaining about both of last year's costumes.

Last edited:

CAS

On the Ice
The Mengs were actually 5th in the free dance, .50 behind Bent and MacKeen and actually beat them in TES. Those who thought Bent and MacKeen were the 'next ones' will now have to factor in the Mengs.

Weaver and Poje's free dance is as wonderful as I hoped it would be, and I had very high hopes for them, this season. I'm not surprised that some people don't care for her costume, it seems to go with the territory, some of them are still complaining about both of last year's costumes.

I loved it. Costumes, music, choreography, their skating. A very strong debut for me. Bravo to W&P! My favourite program of theirs to date.