Page 12 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things Ice Dance: Canadian

I don't really see Virtue in that type of costume. Don't think she'd pull that off. But everyone else on the list definitely could.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by isabella duncan View Post
    Stupid, stupid me!
    Not at all, Isabella, I must get into the habit of using smilies more. I think it's perfectly all right for anybody to do an African-themed dance, but they should lay off afro wigs, dark face paint and banana skirts.

Sorry, Mathman and Blue Dog. Diana, I'm not so sure about Tessa, she's got the moves, she's got the motion.
    Last edited by slipslidin; 04-13-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I thought that the use of African dances for Ralph & Hill was in an effort to set them apart from other teams' folk dances. They were the only team to do something unique like this, unless you count the Russians during the Olympics and their dreadful "aboriginal" dance.
    Nope, while such ODs weren't that common, there were several done. Navarro & Bommentre did one too, as did Pushkash & Kiselev in 2008 season. In 2010, Chock & Zuerlein did a not very successful Afro/Cuban number, as did Navarro/Bommentre again.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 04-13-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Isabella , thanks for your reply..mutual understanding is a good thing.

Dragonlady... I'm a bit dismayed that you should think my comments smack of jealousy. Obviously , though you have stated your biases , I have not made it clear enough where I'm coming from. I don't have even a remote affiliation with any skater or school. I know none of them personally, and make no personal judgements.

In regard to my comment about the silly chest hair..that's a costume critique ( not a Paul critique ). Paul is quite youthful looking for his 20 yrs. ( He may really appreciate his boyish looks in another couple of decades ) There are very few skaters who can carry off that type of costume ( e.g. Tkachenko , maybe ?). I thought the effect was much like the mistake so often made with female skaters when they're bridging the gap between Jr. and Sr. In an attempt to make them more "mature" , they're often put in overly revealing costumes and too much make-up, unwisely confusing maturity with sex-appeal. Unless the girl already has a mature appearance, it doesn't work. Just too much of a hard sell... So, for me, his costume just added an extra note of superficiality to the program , and didn't suit him.

I do have some criticisms to level at the L/R school, and I've made them , often. I have never said they have nothing to recommend them ,or that they don't produce some very fine results in some areas ( strength , edges, power , etc. ) . I do point out that along with the fine results, they also produce some very glaring errors ( notably in posture and fluidity) that beyond a certain point, will hold their skaters back. (And I've argued that these errors should be addressed earlier in a skater's career rather than later, for best results. ) For the three years following C/P coming up to SR.s, there appeared to be little or no attempt at improving this part of their regimen, until we saw R/H this year.. I applaud the work that was done.. ..I'm waiting to see if that's a change for the whole school and not just for R/H, for this year. if they address the weaknesses in their regimen , there's no reason they couldn't become a good international school.

While L/R skaters may appear well turned out at the Jr. level,comparatively speaking, the school has made some very ,very bad costume decisions at the Sr. level , up to and including the evolution of R/H's SD costumes this year ( especially Kharis' dress ). The tango costumes were excellent for her, just OK for him ( high-waisted pants .. not flattering to his improved, but still noticeable swayed lower back and they're not really a tango look )

I've never suggested R/H should go to either W/L or D/L ( though others might have ). I said if they get to the point where they feel they aren't getting the proper attention ( for whatever reason ), they should jump ship quickly , for their own good.

Unaffiliated as I am , I have no reason to be jealous . Of what ? Of whom ? I'm not in competition with any of the skaters or coaches , don't have a horse in this race. Sure , I'd love to see Canada have a top-notch international school , but it will have to have all the goods. I don't think L/R have them all, at the mo , but I don't rule out that they could acquire them... In the meantime, W/L have a much newer school , are achieving good results with their students, and we'll have to keep an eye on where they're going in the next few years. D/L are even newer on the coaching scene , but there's signs of promise there too, so I wouldn't yet bet money on which , if any of these schools is the best candidate to become Canada's foremost school..but I don't want the question to be decided by PR , annointing, or unfair marks at competitions . Merit only , please.
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 04-13-2012 at 08:31 PM. Reason: punctuation

Oh golly , I've been missing out on the banana skirt , while trying to type.

I can only add that I'm so glad Grushina is no longer competing and not likely to be reading this thread.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    For those who have never seen the Josephine Baker Banana Skirt:

http://www.k2centrope.com/buehne/09/...270&breite=405

It makes the Domshabs' Aborigine OD outfits look quiet & refined in design

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post

OH MY GOD! D/S had ugly costumes but they weren't naked!

Custom Title

Doris - Thanks for the link...I can't even....what?!! LOL...

Custom Title
    D/S were worse than naked, if you ask me. They had brown body suits.

Custom Title
    Wasn't she a hottie for the ages? The younger people here might not know, but that picture would be taken in the 'twenties, before we were born.

And one last thing, if we see half a dozen Josephine Bakers on the ice next year, I was not in favour of it.

Custom Title

>giggle< In Josephine Baker's defense, she was one of the most beautiful women of her era, and she was onstage without telephoto lenses providing close-ups to viewers. She was also performing at a time when shock value really meant something--women had just left off wearing skirts down to the ground.

(OT--Baker was also active in the French Resistance during the War. I love that aspect of her biography. I researched her for something we were writing at work, but we ultimately decided that we couldn't put her in a schoolbook, because of things like the banana skirt. Sigh...in her way she was a great role model.)

slipslidin'..No , no , not your fault , if anyone tries it ... It will all be on doris' head...

And kids, there was no spandex or illusion fabric in them days. ( Talk about a gift )

MM.. Why did I not know of Yagudin's version ? I must have blotted it from my mind...
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 04-13-2012 at 09:47 PM.

Custom Title
    I let myself get blown completely off course here. My original intention was to reply to Blue Dog's post, which gave another example of Skate Canada's ham-fisted meddling. On so many occasions, while watching TV alone, I have disturbed my neighbours by shouting, 'MYGAWD, have they no shame?' , 'Have they no subtlety?',' Have they no couth?'.

Our most successful ice dancers have, traditionally, found their greatest success after leaving Canada to train, including the ones who were "feeling the love".

Please don't misinterpret this as an attack on any particular rink. My intention is to hold Skate Canada's feet to the fire.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by slipslidin View Post
    I let myself get blown completely off course here. My original intention was to reply to Blue Dog's post, which gave another example of Skate Canada's ham-fisted meddling. On so many occasions, while watching TV alone, I have disturbed my neighbours by shouting, 'MYGAWD, have they no shame?' , 'Have they no subtlety?',' Have they no couth?'.

Our most successful ice dancers have, traditionally, found their greatest success after leaving Canada to train, including the ones who were "feeling the love".

Please don't misinterpret this as an attack on any particular rink. My intention is to hold Skate Canada's feet to the fire.
    I really don't get your point. And I find your insinuations really offensive. Skate Canada is NOT eville incarnate and their record of success, especially in ice-dance in recent years, speaks for itself.

Until the Scarborough School started getting good results internationally, there really wasn't a top school in Canada and those teams who left Canada to train went to some of the top schools in the World and have achieved great success there.
    Last edited by Mathman; 04-14-2012 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Fix quote

Page 12 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast