All Things Ice Dance: Canadian | Page 12 | Golden Skate

All Things Ice Dance: Canadian

slipslidin

On the Ice
I have seen R/H live and consider them a nice team. They had a very charming free dance, this year, which was actually scored sixth at Canadians, all spinning aside.
They did a fine job at worlds.

They seem to have an energetic group of fans, who keep them in the forefront on this board, but of course, they have been around for a few years.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
isabella, I'd argue like you say, 1.93 doesn't present a full picture. But neither does your post. O/W were still juniors at Nationals, and they had to debut a new step pattern (they were doing the Cha cha as juniors) at Nationals. Additionally, the rules mean that O/W had less scoring potential than P/I or R/H at their later competitions. I'm fine with O/W being behind R/H and P/I in PCS (though I think P/I are more naturally talented than R/H).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Further nit-picking actually shows that the 1.93 points between fourth and sixth places hide the fact that in terms of the SD Program Component Scores, R/H (27.92) had higher than both P/I (27.88) and O/W (25.25). Okay, R/H and P/I were this close but a judge actually gave O/W 5's, while R/H and P/I have all 6's and even 7's. In the FD, again, R/H had higher Program Component Scores (45.18) than P/I (44.03) and O/W (41.44). It was the judging panel, not the tech panel that in the end, placed R/H fourth, P/I fifth and O/W sixth.

All these three teams had their turn to compete internationally after Nationals: O/W at the JGF, I/P at 4CC and R/H at Worlds. Different competitions, different judging panels, different tech panels, true, but R/H had the best showing of them all. Being the runt in the strong Skate Canada Ice Dance presence in Nice, R/H did not do too badly, receiving a standing ovation after their FD.

It is my opinion that O/W would need to work harder still to really come close to where R/H and P/I are at this point in time. 1.98 points difference does not present the fuller picture.

I would say that R&H's abilities are not all that common. They took a tango to France, as a team that hadn't had a lot of puffery done for them, and they got a standing ovation.

That's remarkable, and it indicates an important ability that is too often overlooked and undervalued. It cannot always be taught. In France, all of the last flight except one team got an enthusiastic standing ovation. That ability to draw the audience in is something that is a real help in boosting a team to elite status, and most of the top teams have it. It's one of the things that sets them apart.

Consider the Duchesnays, for example.

So I ask, do R&H have any mixed citizenship? I'm sure there are other countries who would love to have them, if Canada does not want them.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
As far as I remember ( but I'm no official expert on the matter :biggrin: ).. both Kharis and Asher have ties to the US...but that would put them in just as much of a crowded field as in Canada. Beyond that, I wouldn't know. But I'm sure Canada wants them..they did an excellent job at world's and had a well-deserved warm reception.

slipslidin

On the Ice
Why should they not rate quite so much attention? They caught mine at Worlds. There is a huge difference when you watch these skaters live than when you see them streamed or youtubed. R/H have this power to draw you in. It is not contrived. As the blogger of Axels, Loops and Spins puts it, R/H are "organic, and natural, it is amazing." ITA.

This is a thread about Canadian ice dance. I think the category should include skaters at all schools and all levels, their coaches, music, costumes and choreography. I am also ready to include Skate Canada, where ice dance is concerned, as well as judging and competitions.

I'm not familiar with the blogger you quote, but I find myself in agreement. As far as I know, all skaters are organic and natural.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
This is a thread about Canadian ice dance. I think the category should include skaters at all schools and all levels, their coaches, music, costumes and choreography. I am also ready to include Skate Canada, where ice dance is concerned, as well as judging and competitions.

I'm not familiar with the blogger you quote, but I find myself in agreement. As far as I know, all skaters are organic and natural.

Agreed.

Colleen made a start earlier in the thread. The only school she left out was MacIntosh rink in Waterloo. Never count them out. That rink has produced Virtue/Moir, Weaver/Poje, and Arnold/Trojek. Others have spent quality time there in the past, and MacIntosh has a habit of sharing around his students when he feels they need extra-curricular help. I think K/C did Arnold/Trojek's programs when they were training in Waterloo. There's good quality coaching going on there, and one never knows when they will produce another star team. Lioudvinevitch/Mulder had a solid year, and I think finished a few spots lower than they should have at Nationals. Not sure if MacIntosh has any Senior teams this year. According to FSU, Lioudvinevitch has retired to pursue school, and Mulder is back at Junior for a couple of years, skating with Jade Marrow. The other rumour I heard around is that MacIntosh and Babb are building quite a group of brand new little teams, somewhere between 6 and 10 teams depending on who you talk to, what Marina Zoueva said she was hoping to do. Interesting.

So, there have been a lot of changes at Junior, I understand, and a few at Senior as well, based on the info on FSU. Any news on new partnerships? Besides Gilles/Poirier, any other music choices solidified? Any changes in coaching? What else is going on in the world of ice dance in Canada?

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Thanks for bringing up MacIntosh , 'Dancers...I only left him out because I was talking about coaches who might have aspirations to move to the so called "elite" level..and I'm not sure if he intends to stay more at the developmental category. It's sort of weird to even put it that way,because I have a lot of respect for 1. the training he provides ( as far as I've been able to observe ) and 2. his selfless attitude in moving his students on for their benefit.

Argh ! I'm too tired to get into this , tonight..but I echo 'Dancers':) plea for news.

slipslidin

On the Ice
Which team in the last flight didnt get a standing ovation?

Ah, but, in fairness, we must remember that R/H were not in the last flight. They were in 15th place going into the free dance, had really delightful choreography, and skated it as well as they possibly could.

I was thrilled for them when they got a well-deserved standing O, and I'm not sure that Zlobina/Sitnikov didn't get one as well. They certainly got a rousing reception, but, of course the Azerbaijani contingent was probably smaller.

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I'm very glad that R/H are seniors. I don't want to know what their team might have come up with this year for the SD, if they were juniors.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Being short and having short legs has worked pretty well for Meryl & Charlie...but Meryl did say when asked if she could change one thing about herself, what would it be, that she would ask for longer legs.

It's harder, but it can be done.

And short legs are great for the YP and Finnstep.

slipslidin

On the Ice
Yup, and if you can't dazzle'em with your footwork, you can always try to baffle'em with your BS. (Old showbiz saying.)

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Mmmm.. Denkova and Stayviski ..among the Great Short Legs in skating history....

As I understand it , it ain't what you got , it's what you do with it..;)

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Ladies and gentlmen...(*drumroll*)...prepare yourself for...THE ATTACK OF THE SHORT LEGS!

So how long have you been a fan of this team and its coaches, OreoCookie, being from the Toronto area? You must be able to watch their practices up close!

As to short legs, it doesn't necessarily have to be hindrance in dance or skating. In fact, short legs means your center of gravity is closer to the ground. You can also get more power from shorter legs. Look at swimmer Michael Phelps. He has shorter legs and a longer torso, but boy, does he use his short legs to his advantage!

What I wish their coaching team would do, is highlight Kharis more. Yes, I agree with those who've said that they seemed to have focused more on the fact that Asher is black--however, Kharis is the epitome of exotic beauty in ice dance.

Last edited: